PDA

View Full Version : The Best Reads of 2006?

Scheherazade
01-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Which book(s) has been your favorite in 2006 and why? Please share your thoughts and comments on the books the Book Club read last year here.

You can vote for more than one book!

Book Club Procedures (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57103#post57103)

Whifflingpin
01-05-2007, 01:25 PM
I won't vote, because I did not start reading the book club choices until "Lady of the Lake."

That was the first long narrative poem (other than some border ballads) that I have read in years, and, but for the book club, I'd not have read it - so thanks.

Once I'd got into the medium, I found it well worth the reading, on the picturesque (and I don't mean picaresque) yarn sort of level.

I'm left with one puzzle. Up to the mid-nineteenth century, verse was considered a very appropriate medium for narrative - indeed, for centuries it was virtually the sole medium - prose being for, well, prosaic things. What happened?

Pensive
01-05-2007, 02:48 PM
I have voted out of those books which I have read. In addition to The Mill on the Floss and East of Eden, I read Mort and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde was okay. I liked Mort though on some places I found the humor in it difficult to understand. So I wouldn't include it in the Best Reads of 2006.

Scheherazade
01-09-2007, 12:29 AM
I read all the books in the list apart from Ivan and Twelfth Night last year. I couldn't find a copy of Ivan and was not in the last mood for the latter, unfortunately.

While considering my reply to this poll, I was surprised to realise that my immediate reactions after reading the books have changed a little: Even though I liked some books other than those I have picked and might recommend them as good reading experiences, they do not necessarily make it to my 'best reads' list for the past year. I think when I vote, I tend to vote for those books which prove more 'memorable' to me.

Virgil
01-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Oops. I didn't realize you could vote for more than one. I certainly would have included The Death of Ivan Iyllich.

papayahed
01-09-2007, 02:16 PM
I'll have to check my list at home, I know I had a few good reads outside the book club.....Can you guys believe I've actually managed to keep track of all the books I've read for the past year - Holy Toledo!!

SleepyWitch
01-11-2007, 05:20 AM
i only read 4 of them, can I vote anyway?

muhsin
01-11-2007, 06:33 AM
Ouch!
We Africans don't have much access to such books. Though, I once started reading one of them- David Copperfield but I never finished when the person I borrowed it from asked me to give him back his book.

Read me well, I, aforesaid, mentioned MUCH access. Thus I mean we have a few of them. Whats more difficult is the price. Sincerely speaking, if one need a good printed copy, must put money, very huge amount of money. How can I? As am a common student finance by....uh?

Scheherazade
01-11-2007, 06:49 PM
i only read 4 of them, can I vote anyway?Of course! :)
Ouch!
We Africans don't have much access to such books. Though, I once started reading one of them- David Copperfield but I never finished when the person I borrowed it from asked me to give him back his book. Some of the books we read are available online, Muhsin. I usually post the link to those text in our discussion threads.

This month we are reading Pygmalion if you are interested.

muhsin
01-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Of course! :)Some of the books we read are available online, Muhsin. I usually post the link to those text in our discussion threads.

This month we are reading Pygmalion if you are interested.

I'm really interested. But do you know where the problem is still at? I don't use to stay for long in this board. Is this not another problem for me to finish reading a book in a month?:bawling:

Brigitte
06-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Looking at that long list of really amazing books I'm just sad I didn't join LitNet sooner. ): Pfft... imagine, now I have to read all those on my own. xD; There are just too many good books in this world.

worddance
07-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Sad to say I haven't read any of these, except maybe Farewell to Arms in high school. Maybe I read it. Hemingway always leaves me cold.

zocipro
08-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde was my favorite book for 2006