PDA

View Full Version : What Shakespeare plays have you seen performed?

IWilKikU
01-27-2004, 07:21 PM
Since seeing them is an integral part of learning about them. I've seen:

A Midsummer Night's Dream Shakespeare's Globe Theatre
Richard III Shakespeare's Globe Theatre
The Taming of the Shrew Shakespeare's Globe Theatre
Kathrine and Petruccio (A shortened version of Shrew) Williamsburg Colonial Theatre

I also played Claudius in Hamlet, and directed Macbeth at my School.

If you ever get out to London, I strongly agree that you swing by the Globe. Its an almost perfect recreation of the real Globe, and they have 5lb tickets for EVERY showing. Its also alot more interpersonal than attending a proper theatre.

Sindhu
01-28-2004, 02:41 AM
Well, you don't get too many stage perfomances of Shakespeare in India- I had to settle for one Hamlet - AWFUL and one Julius Caesar- Superb! Otherwise I've had to make do with movies. I DID play Beatrice in a class production of Much Ado once:)
Sindhu.

Jay
01-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Performed... huh, The Tempest... in a theatre for kids, was done as a fairy tale, and I mean as a real one... if anyone can trace my thoughts... (hard to do if you ask me, get lost very often myself ;))

azmuse
01-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Only one: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by the American Conservatory Theatre (ACT) at the Geary in San Francisco. And, back when I was a theatre major, I played Lady Macbeth. So!!! much fun :) :)
Must be wonderful at the Globe...

IWilKikU
01-28-2004, 10:32 PM
You were a theatre major?!?! I'm thinking of doing some theatre post-grad. One of my English prof.s was a professional London theatre actor. He's kind of mentoring me right now. I'm trying to get Midsummer Night's Dream up and running, but its super short notice, and I would have to direct again, when what I really want to do is play Nick Bottom.

azmuse
01-28-2004, 10:45 PM
Could you do both?
:)

Isagel
01-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Good luck with the play! I go and see Midsummers night dream, whenever I get the chance. I adore it. My favorite version was done in an old ruin, at night with the night sky as a ceiling. Several of the actors where refugees. Most of it was done in swedish, but evry now and then the actors used their own language. It probably sounds strange, but the effect was wonderfully surreal and also made it possible to let the artist express themselves and show how the text worked in al the different languages. To hear Oberons broken swedish transform into greek that was as precise as a fencing tecnique, or hear his queen talk to the boy she loves with soft words that I could not place - it felt like magic.

(I played Robin Goodfellow once, when I was 18. It was great fun. )

IWilKikU
01-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by azmuse
Could you do both?
:)

Unfortunatly no, for 2 reasons:

Reason #1: I know from last semester, when I directed Macbeth, that directing is a HUGE job. Combined with school work, its way to much for me to also be playing a major role.

Reason #2: It wouldn't be fair for me to be the director and just jump on the best role in the play. Although I think I would do a great job, I think its best to give some other people a chance since I'm already going to be a HUGE part of the play.

I'll probably end up playing a smaller role, like one of the other mechanicals, or Theseus, or Egeus.

Shea
02-02-2004, 10:12 AM
A group at my school performed Midsummer Night's Dream recently. It was rather good (for a free play), but I haven't decided if the last act was the best because I enjoyed it most while reading it anyway, or because the director played Quince, and that was probably the scene they worked on the most. My husband was bored however, and took the opinion of Theseus on imagination (though he didn't even know he took the opinion from Theseus because he couldn't understand him).

Shea
02-02-2004, 02:12 PM
That is why live acting can be so much better than film! That must have been an amazing experience!

IWilKikU
02-02-2004, 03:47 PM
The school here has an incredible Victorian-Era garden with little crumbling buildings and broken statues and the such. I'm thinking of trying to do the Dream there, but I'm hesitent because The weather is sooooo unpredictable here. If we do all of our rehearsing outside, it'll be really hard for amature actors to do it inside when the time comes. Similarly if we don't rehearse it outside, we wont be able to preform it outside. Grr.

Shea
02-02-2004, 09:54 PM
I think doing outdoor Shakespeare would be so exciting. My parents used to take me to a troupe that did "Shakespeare in the Park" nearby where I lived. But I was probably about 9 or 10 years old, and couldn't even tell you which plays we saw. Though I do remember enjoying myself!

Hope the weather cooperates with you Kik if you decide on it.

mono
08-18-2004, 12:03 PM
I once had the great pleasure of being an assistant director to three Shakespeare plays: Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Twelfth Night: an amazing experience!

hugo_fan24601
08-29-2004, 04:29 PM
ah, shakespear in its true form proformence why is shapear stuided it can only be apericated from watching it(i mean i like reading scripts but not making notes every 5 seconds and having to draw the same story board 5 times over).

any to the point i have saw my faverate shakespear live in my own school that is macbeth i have also saw a cartoon of it and a film but i enjoy the live version most i liked the cartoon but the film was not to my liking

Prof
09-28-2004, 05:27 PM
2004.09.28 23:25(gmt+2)

Well, if ballets count, the last one was Romeo and Juliet, for the third time! In retrospect I concluded that it is one of Shakespeare's worst plays. After the performance I have read it again, which only served to confirm my "suspicions!"

However, in all fairness I must state that the third performance was somewhat modernistic, with colourful costumes and backgrounds, which might have obliged one's attention to be detracted from the dancers itself.

Prof.

Hummingbirdtat2
10-11-2004, 11:03 AM
I have seen both "A Comedy of Errors" and "Macbeth" done by a local, small town company. The "Errors" perfomance was brilliant, and absolutely hilarious. I found myself forgetting I was watching a play, and wanted to rewind a couple of times to see some particular part or another again. It was truly wonderful. The "Macbeth" performance was not as good. Lady Macbeth was good, but a few of the other characters were performed awkwardly. The actors were a little stiff, and the parts seemed forced.

They probably did better than I could have done, though. Overall, they were both enjoyable to see.

Mustardseed
10-13-2004, 02:05 AM
Unfortunately I haven't seen much on stage :(

I did see Richard III performed by The Royal Shakespeare Company in The Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford a few years back. November of '98 I think it was. It was absolutely brilliant!

Also I saw a Swedish interpretation of Measure for Measure in '97. Since then it's been one of my favourite Shakespeare plays.

GoldenTears
10-13-2004, 10:40 PM
None.

And I live in NEW YORK.

Which royally SUCKS. It really really sucks. >.<

But I saw the Kenneth Branagh version of "Hamlet". SUPERB!

mono
10-14-2004, 01:04 AM
I already added a post to this thread earlier, but I have to take this anger out somewhere. King Lear is presently performed in my relatively large city, but I cannot go (grrr) due to low finances! Even though it does not seem my favorite play, I would love to see it.

Hummingbirdtat2
10-14-2004, 09:16 AM
Kenneth Branagh also did a film version of Much Ado, which was unbelievably wonderful. His interpretation of Benedick was enjoyable in every way. The man is a true Shakespeare lover, and an excellent Shakesperean actor.

Falling_Embers
10-30-2004, 02:56 AM
I've seen a poorly done Romeo and Juliet done by my high school a few years back and a rather good modernized version of Hamlet through the Citidal Theater

brshfr
09-15-2005, 11:22 PM
When I lived in Nebraska I saw Romeo & Juliet done by the University of Nebraska theatre department and also Midsummer's Night Dream and Hamlet by my smaller private college's theatre department, all very well done.