PDA

View Full Version : was it spiritual search ?

mlr3891
01-04-2007, 06:48 AM
I read "Womens in Love" & "Sons & Lovers". After reading these books
Lawrence realized me that i am living a shameful life. He broke all my concepts and changed my view. He gave me a moral support. But can anyone one tell me that how he (Lawrence) become such a great writer ? In which theory he believe? Just breaking the rules or making a new world for human being.

Janine
01-21-2007, 10:29 PM
I read "Womens in Love" & "Sons & Lovers". After reading these books
Lawrence realized me that i am living a shameful life. He broke all my concepts and changed my view. He gave me a moral support. But can anyone one tell me that how he (Lawrence) become such a great writer ? In which theory he believe? Just breaking the rules or making a new world for human being.

mlr3891, I am very interesting in discussing Lawrence books with you, or anyone else for that matter. I have read three full biographies on Lawrence and much of his work - novels, short novels, short stories and poems. I am currently reading his travel books and have started with "Twilight in Italy". I am quite "Lawrence" obsessed, as you can imagine. I have several films based on his books and one about his early life and his poetry. I would like to try and answer any questions you have on the great author, if I can. I do not fully agree with all his philosophies and ideas/notions but he was an unparalleled talent and quiet a literary genius.

I can tell you that he started quite young in writing. He was absolutely a natural talent, and very perceptive visually which is indicated in his novels. He was also very perceptive about human behavior and psycology of the individual. He loved nature and the natural world. He even loved the study of botony and knew the names of numerous flowers, trees, etc. His first novel is one I just completed last fall, "The White Peacock". His woodland, field, nature descriptions are worth reading the book for, but many argue how incomplete the book is or immature. It however contains the "seeds" of his ideas that he fully explored in his following books, and it fascinated me. He was only 21 when he began writing it. It was published in 1911. One of his best and (mostly) auto-biographical novels would be "Sons and Lovers"...one of the ones you read....excellent! This book sheds much light on his early years with his family and friends. If you read between the lines, you will perceive how he got started as an artist and a literary figure. Yes, although he made Paul a budding artist, he, Lawrence, was always interested in art and writing. Eventually his art became his writing, but later he did go back to some painting and even had a showing in London. The first of his books I read was "Women in Love" and I found it totally captivating. Like you, I felt it changed my outlook on life. One thing I can tell you about his getting started in the published world is that his best woman friend at the time, Jesse Chambers (Miriam in S's&L's) entered some of his works into a local contest and they were under a disquised name. I think one was under her name and one under his or his betrothed at the time, Louie Burrows. I will check the actual history out for you, but he won both I believe. This made him somewhat a local sensation and word traveled and he soon was given the name of a publisher. Well, something like that. You know, after reading 3 biographies, I should know this but those were his early years and now I have forgotten the exact details. The man had an extensive and full life for his mere 44 yrs. He died of TB/comsumption at that young age - a great pity and so sad. He was full of life and always writing...a truly amazing man!
Lawrence did want a "new order, a new utopia, a new world" and he was always seeking for it; it is only fitting that one of his most lasting friend/ authors should be A.Huxley, who wrote "Brave New World". According to one biographer I read, she said that Huxley fashioned the main character of the book after Lawrence. I found this extremely interesting and it made me want to read the book once more...it has been years, but I recall loving the book so.
I hope all this helps and my reply does not come too late to you. Hope to hear you reply to this soon. My best ~ Janine