01-26-2004, 04:46 PM
just finished the series today . . .

so brilliant.

IWilKikU
01-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Who by?

subterranean
01-27-2004, 03:36 AM
I read the word 'evangelion' once, forget where though..Is it something to do with Japanese comic books?

star blue
01-27-2004, 05:14 AM
it's an anime series. without a doubt the best one out there.

fayefaye
01-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Neon genesis was pretentiously artistic, especially the end of Evangelion. (alt ending). ugh. I can't believe I watched the whole series. It's got a real cult following, but I didn't like it that much. Don't get me wrong-it was good, but it TRIED so hard to be good, if you get what I mean. It took itself way too seriously; a lot of anime try to incorporate a bit more humour. Yes, I am aware neon genisis tried to have a bit of humour sometimes, but not enough.

star blue
01-27-2004, 11:35 AM
there was plenty of comic relief in evangelion (remember pen2, the warm water penguin?). and after seeing the episode in which shinji and asuka's evas fight the angel in sync to that really fast classical music . . . how could it not be pretentious?

evangelion is the 2001: a space odyssey of anime.

IWilKikU
01-27-2004, 07:36 PM
eww. Hate anime

Munro
01-28-2004, 12:23 AM
star blue, I just started watching it. So far I'm confused but from what I've seen I like it already. I'm gonna need a new anime show to watch now that I've nearly finished 'Dragon Ball Z'. Although, Dragon Ball is a kids show in comparison hehe.

imthefoolonthehill
01-28-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by IWilKikU
eww. Hate anime

yup... join the club.

star blue
01-28-2004, 06:13 AM
you have to see it to believe what happens at the end.

just you wait, munro . . .

fayefaye
01-28-2004, 06:26 AM
You hate anime??!!! oooooh!! never tell an Asian person that!! I'll kick your *ss! Hey, have you seen the alternate ending, star? Seriously. it's ridiculously pretentious. Tries waaayyyy too hard to be artistic. There are some pretty funny parodies of the real ending, though.

fayefaye
01-28-2004, 06:27 AM
oh, yeah I loved pen. that penguin was hella cute.

star blue
01-28-2004, 06:33 AM
nope, I haven't. as for the real ending, I didn't think those congratulations were necessarily in order, so I thought the second-to-the-last episode was probably better than the finale. but the whole time it got me to think, which is a rare phenomenon these days.

it blew me away; it was the first nihilistic anime series I'd seen.

fayefaye
01-28-2004, 06:37 AM
yeah, the congrats were a bit lame. ... watch the alternate ending. Most people have to see it at least twice to have the faintest idea what's actually going on.

star blue
01-28-2004, 06:39 AM
why, what's the deal?

fayefaye
01-28-2004, 06:48 AM
It's just weird. Watch it, and you'll get what I mean.

fayefaye
01-28-2004, 07:18 AM
Oh, you know James Cameron is supposed to direct an evangelion movie? dreading it, get the horrible feeling it's gonna really ruin the series.

star blue
01-29-2004, 05:58 AM
is it going to be animated? that's kind of weird.

fayefaye
01-29-2004, 06:20 AM
NO!! That's the really horrifying thing: it's not going to be animated; hence why it's BOUND to suck.

I really hate shinji.

star blue
01-29-2004, 08:36 AM
c'mon, shinji is awesome. he just had a bit of a personality crisis, that's all. the way the theme of man vs. god was built around his lost sense of identity . . . few plots are that dynamic.

star blue
01-31-2004, 05:39 AM
so I started death & rebirth (part one of the evangelion films) tonight. now I know that I'll always be an aspiring writer, because this plot is un-fukcin-real. I just can't find anything wrong with it, nothing else compares.

Munro
01-31-2004, 10:52 PM
I found out yesterday that 'Neon Genesis' is up to episode twenty on Cartoon Network which is why I was confused all that time. I think it'd better for me to experience the series from episode one. I can wait.

Right now I'm loving 'Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040' and 'Cowboy Bebop', you seen those, star blue?

star blue
02-01-2004, 03:38 AM
I've seen cowboy bebop, it's pretty awesome.

star blue
02-02-2004, 04:18 AM
finish evangelion, it's the best anime I've ever seen (better than trigun, even).

Munro
02-02-2004, 07:08 AM
Hey, so, I've been thinking, what do you mean when you say 'Neon Genesis' is the '2001' of anime? Do they hold similar signifance to each society or something? What importance do you think '2001' has in Western society anyhow? It's visionary, that's for certain. Maybe that's what you mean. I'm intrigued. . .

star blue
02-04-2004, 11:10 AM
2001: a space odyssey is the most incredible film ever made. its importance lies in its themes. man and his tools . . . who controls whom? very relevant to modern day circumstances.

star blue
02-04-2004, 04:32 PM
as for ingenuity, 2001 has all you can eat.

Munro
02-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by star blue
2001: a space odyssey is the most incredible film ever made. its importance lies in its themes. man and his tools . . . who controls whom? very relevant to modern day circumstances.

star blue, I practically glimpsed the meaning of life when I got really stoned and watched '2001' from the moment David Bowman approaches the monolith on Jupiter on mute, while playing 'Echoes' by Pink Floyd - it blew my mind. See if you can get it on Kazaa or something.

The music and the lyrics somehow blended in perfectly with his journey through those dimensions, and that aging process he went through while becoming guardian of the earth. I didn't feel so happy and uplifted for about half a year.

The book was really good as well. If you already know the story from the book, then it's even better.

(Bubblegum Crisis and Cowboy Bebop are on tonite! YEAH! Who needs to go out on a Friday night? hehe)

star blue
02-05-2004, 10:07 PM
I understand, I did that with '( )' by sigur ros, once.

anyway, neon genesis: evangelion is just as, if not more, mind-blowing as/than 2001: a space odyssey. there are just some really stellar episodes.

fayefaye
02-06-2004, 07:39 AM
Cowboy bebop is better than Evangelion because it's not pretentious. It is what it is, and doesn't try to be anything else. Just look at Evangelion's characters. Gimme a break.

star blue
02-06-2004, 10:18 AM
quiet, you.

star blue
02-06-2004, 02:36 PM
cowboy bebop isn't even as cool as trigun.

fayefaye
02-06-2004, 10:28 PM
I can't be bothered arguing with you. Suffice to say you've obbiously only seen the first episode of Bebop, otherwise you wouldn't call if faggy because Spike DEFINATELY isn't gay, and you proabbly haven't seen the whole series of Trigun either, since the ending of bebop is a lot better than that of Trigun. Plus, Trigun has a better soundtrack, but-it's been a while since I saw it-not Merryl, but the girl with the short black hair- is such an annoying character I could hardly stand to watch her.

star blue
02-06-2004, 11:08 PM
you're unintelligable.

fayefaye
02-06-2004, 11:23 PM
evangelion is good, but it's characters sought mostly to fulfil their place in the plot. Bebop hardly had a larger plot, this allowed them to expand more on their characters.

trigun had the best soundtrack, but the animation wasn't so crash hot, and the characters were the worst. With the obvious exception of Vash and the priest.

and spike and jet aren't gay.

star blue
02-06-2004, 11:25 PM
that's just like your opinion, fayefaye.

fayefaye
02-08-2004, 12:44 AM
Yeah, it is my opinion, star. But you know what? I watched the whole series of Evangelion, the alternate ending, and parts of the movie before I formed my opinion and ran around stating it. And even then I can still support it, I just don't state it down as fact. I don't form an opinion based on the first couple of episodes, if even, then force it down people's throats like caustic soda, expecting them to swallow. If I turned around and insulted Rimbaud or Joyce not having the faintest idea what I was talking about, you would simply call me a dumb*ss. Now you think you can insult bebop having no idea what you're talking about, tell me to be quiet, and get away with it? Good luck! I love bebop, but I'm still willing to discuss it's faults with somebody who actually knows what they are, rather than call you a baka.

I'll just sit idly by, and watch you insult myself, my taste, my intellect, my religion even, but bebop? Never.

Why don't you just admit you have no idea?

star blue
02-08-2004, 07:45 PM
relax, you get so offended everytime I make a sarcastic comment. I'm not here to insult anyone, though, I can be caustic and peurile and all the other things you see in me.

fayefaye
02-09-2004, 10:48 AM
We have a big, fat communication problem.

star blue
02-09-2004, 10:55 AM
it's hard for the early eighties generation (e.g. myself) to bridge the gap with the late eighties generation (e.g. you). but we'll just have to find some common ground.

star blue
02-09-2004, 12:47 PM
:o