PDA

View Full Version : Why must we FEEL?

dramasnot6
01-01-2007, 02:43 AM
What is the point in emotion and feeling? why cant we all just be characters from 1984 or Brave New World with no love or feeling? Wouldnt the world be more efficient if we put all emotion aside and just concentrated on work?

Why must we feel?

Yelena
01-01-2007, 03:35 AM
I think humans are ment to have emotions, its just an integral part of our life. feelings and emotions help us appreciate our life, and actually live it to the fullest. concentrating on work is good, but other than material goods, it won't bring you anything else, neither joy no satisfaction. we simply can't exist without feelings and emotions, they guide us. :-)

Ranoo
01-01-2007, 04:50 AM
We are created to be like this ,to have no feelings or emotions is absolutely impossible .We have two parts within us ,we are made of flesh (the machinery part ) and spirit (the emotional part ). Emotions are the fuel by which our machines(the bodies ) work or move with.

dramasnot6
01-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Very good points Ranoo and Yelena. But to go a bit deeper here, what is it about us that makes us so dependent and obsessive about our feelings? Why do we so often prioritize them over more "practical" things?

Madhuri
01-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Being practical cannot be seperated from feelings. To get wiser/practical one has to fail also and go through the entire range of emotions, one has to feel the failure/success to go to the next level of maturity.

To improve in technical skills its not sufficient to be emotion less, as this will work only if we are living in isolation. But, we interact and need to understand human psyche. One can mend the technical faults, by maybe tightening some nuts and bolts, but the same will not work with people.

A very vague reply it is :D

dramasnot6
01-01-2007, 08:46 AM
A very good reply it is :D I especially like your comparison of the psyche to machinery.
What i am curious about is how emotion is not only neccesary, but has such a strong hold and influence on people. How people can knowingly do something inconvenient or immoral because they are listening to their heart. Feelings that are too complex for basic decisions and too wild for everyday speech can drive us to the extremeties of our ability, but for what exactly? What do our emotions lead us to?

Pendragon
01-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Did you ever see Star Trek: The Motion Picture? Mr. Spock has decided to erase all emotion from himself, and hopes to do so by mind-merge with V-ger, the super-entity threatening Earth. When he comes to, he takes Kirk by the hand and laughs. "This simple feeling" (friendship) "Is so far beyond V-ger's comprehension." We feel because we are not mindless robots. With joy and love comes pain and sorrow, but we go through them together. It draws us together to share our feelings, our emotions. We become friends, family. We learn to care for others. We become intimate. Non-emotion would never work, the self would be all that mattered-- no friends, no lover, no one to share. We could be cold while another died before our eyes, for we would have no empathy.

Poetess
01-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Why mush we feel emotionally towards someone or something, you mean?

Eagleheart
01-01-2007, 12:18 PM
We must feel because feelings are the driving forces in life...Being a foreigner, I have noticed the inclusion of the word "motion" in the word "emotion"... By rejecting feelings, one is implying a non-existent state...If we are to assume that every deed is provoked by a certain emotion, imagining a life without any emotion is like imagining non-existence/which admittedly has been a futile attempt of mine/
That is why lack of feeling has been assigned to a clinical framework of thought...Someone deprived of emotions is terrifying for the observers/and sometimes accusors/, because he/she is ignoring the foundations of life and the necessary axiom of the driving force in emotions...

Redzeppelin
01-01-2007, 04:00 PM
I think we "feel" things because we're designed to - and part of that design deals with the fact that we are relational creatures. The relationship might be with someone else, or it might be with ourself, but I think most of what we feel is a consequence of our relationship to the world around us - but specifically other people.

Virgil
01-01-2007, 04:33 PM
We must feel because feelings are the driving forces in life...Being a foreigner, I have noticed the inclusion of the word "motion" in the word "emotion"... By rejecting feelings, one is implying a non-existent state...If we are to assume that every deed is provoked by a certain emotion, imagining a life without any emotion is like imagining non-existence/which admittedly has been a futile attempt of mine/
That is why lack of feeling has been assigned to a clinical framework of thought...Someone deprived of emotions is terrifying for the observers/and sometimes accusors/, because he/she is ignoring the foundations of life and the necessary axiom of the driving force in emotions...

Hey that is profound Eagle. Yes I was going to say that humans are not really rational beings. Rational thought is really a very small part of humanity; if i were to assign it a number, I would say 5%. Emotions is what guides humanity and that is probably life preserving and good, for the most part.

Pendragon
01-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Exactly. No emotion will lead to a life without meaning; a pointless existence. You would be like this computer. No matter how hard you try to make it feel your frustration when it doesn't work, it gives the same non-emotional answer: Blue Screen Error! :crash:

dramasnot6
01-02-2007, 05:27 AM
Exactly. No emotion will lead to a life without meaning; a pointless existence. You would be like this computer. No matter how hard you try to make it feel your frustration when it doesn't work, it gives the same non-emotional answer: Blue Screen Error! :crash:

Emotion seems to be so much more complex then just a human neccesity. Like eagle was saying(fantastic points by the way eagle) there is something force-like about emotion. Lets consider the origin of emotion. It is like an instinctual protective device wired into our brains. It is not only neccesary for all aspects of living, but for survival. It has an incredible physiological effect too, like stomach pains when nervous or heartbroken, or those stories of mothers lifting cars off their babies because they loved and feared for them. We instinctually fear and seek a solution when put in danger, we instinctually grow angry and protective when our territiory is challenged.

jgx
01-02-2007, 08:32 AM

Yes. I get you. But you do recognize that your perspective on the value, use, function, worth of emotions seems to be a product of your emotions...on how you feel about the dire prospect of being a robot. You do not think being devoid of feelings would "feel" good or at least you currently have negative "feelings" in relation to the idea of not having feelings. And because we usually do not want to "feel" bad then any situation that gives us "bad" feelings is to be avoided. I would say, however, that simply because some possibile scenario gives us an array of nasties does not, by logic, mean that the scenario is one to be avoided or that it would lack any merit or virtues.

If you did not have any emotions right now how would you think about the possiblity of having them. I would make a healthy wager that if given the choice a fair number of un-feeling beings would say "hey, you know what...I have spent a good amount of time checking out those folks who do have emotions and they are not doing all that well." I think I will stay just like I am.

Would a being who had the faculty of logic but did not have the capacity to feel actually choose, based only on logic, to have emotions. And if we think not then what does that imply about emotions? Or about logic and reason in relation to feelings?

Pendragon
01-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Yes. I get you. But you do recognize that your perspective on the value, use, function, worth of emotions seems to be a product of your emotions...on how you feel about the dire prospect of being a robot. You do not think being devoid of feelings would "feel" good or at least you currently have negative "feelings" in relation to the idea of not having feelings. And because we usually do not want to "feel" bad then any situation that gives us "bad" feelings is to be avoided. I would say, however, that simply because some possibile scenario gives us an array of nasties does not, by logic, mean that the scenario is one to be avoided or that it would lack any merit or virtues.

If you did not have any emotions right now how would you think about the possiblity of having them. I would make a healthy wager that if given the choice a fair number of un-feeling beings would say "hey, you know what...I have spent a good amount of time checking out those folks who do have emotions and they are not doing all that well." I think I will stay just like I am.

Would a being who had the faculty of logic but did not have the capacity to feel actually choose, based only on logic, to have emotions. And if we think not then what does that imply about emotions? Or about logic and reason in relation to feelings?You must understand there are a good number of emotions I would love to erase. Pain, sorrow, fear, feelings of rejection, etc. But then I wouldn't erase the joy, the love, the friendship, the imagination that I have that is fueled by my deep feelings. Pure logic but not ability to feel would be cold. Fact would be the only important thing. You might tell someone how their loved one met their end very precisely, but with no thought for their feelings, it would simply be a report of facts. Would that person chose emotion? In certain necessary jobs, perhaps emotion must be slightly distanced-- a doctor, policeman, fireman, paramedic, etc. If emotion gets to them every time they loose focus. So I cannot be an impartial judge. For me, emotion is necessary for my type of life. It may not be for everyone, but there will be a certain loss of humanity to my belief. Cheers.

Neo_Sephiroth
01-02-2007, 03:51 PM
What is the point in emotion and feeling? why cant we all just be characters from 1984 or Brave New World with no love or feeling? Wouldnt the world be more efficient if we put all emotion aside and just concentrated on work?

Why must we feel?

Yes, it would be more efficient if we put all emotions asides and just concertrated on work. Though I would assume it would be pretty boring.

Why must we feel? Well, we don't have a choice but to feel. It's in what we are and who we are. Everybody feels and it doesn't matter who you are. No matter how much of a "robot" you claim to be...(Unless you really are one...)...You'll always have feelings and emotions.

Very good points Ranoo and Yelena. But to go a bit deeper here, what is it about us that makes us so dependent and obsessive about our feelings? Why do we so often prioritize them over more "practical" things?

As I've said before, we cannot escape our feelings. Everything is connected with one another. Our feelings is the reason we get up every day of every week of every year. It is essential to continue going on doing the "practical" things and living life because of our feelings drives us to. If we have no feelings than we cannot do the "practical" things...We can try to do "practical" things without any feelings but it wouldn't last long...Suicide will kick in...Because that is the last resort of our feelings...There are two ways of suicide in this case...Take your own life...Or...Kill your emotions and continue living a meaningless existence...

A very good reply it is :D I especially like your comparison of the psyche to machinery.
What i am curious about is how emotion is not only neccesary, but has such a strong hold and influence on people. How people can knowingly do something inconvenient or immoral because they are listening to their heart. Feelings that are too complex for basic decisions and too wild for everyday speech can drive us to the extremeties of our ability, but for what exactly? What do our emotions lead us to?

Our emotions is the flames that fuels our soul and our spirit...For what purpose? To find meaning in our life, of course. Look around you...You see many different people doing many differents things...Waiter, construction worker, figthers, directors, actors, and so on...They may work in different situations but they all have one thing in common...They're looking for meaning and purpose...If they had not found it already...

So if our emotions are running high for doing certain things it must mean that we have a high regard for doing it. We are then, at that time, are able to excel in our ability past a certain extent of our normal capacity...

...Because that is how much it means to us...Whatever it may be...

dramasnot6
01-02-2007, 09:53 PM
You must understand there are a good number of emotions I would love to erase. Pain, sorrow, fear, feelings of rejection, etc. But then I wouldn't erase the joy, the love, the friendship, the imagination that I have that is fueled by my deep feelings. Pure logic but not ability to feel would be cold. Fact would be the only important thing. You might tell someone how their loved one met their end very precisely, but with no thought for their feelings, it would simply be a report of facts. Would that person chose emotion? In certain necessary jobs, perhaps emotion must be slightly distanced-- a doctor, policeman, fireman, paramedic, etc. If emotion gets to them every time they loose focus. So I cannot be an impartial judge. For me, emotion is necessary for my type of life. It may not be for everyone, but there will be a certain loss of humanity to my belief. Cheers.

I agree with you Pen. Also on that note, i think there is no point to emotions like happiness in love if there areny ones like sadness to compare it too. What is pleasure if we do not know pain?

Yelena
01-02-2007, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE=Pendragon;309489]You must understand there are a good number of emotions I would love to erase. Pain, sorrow, fear, feelings of rejection, etc. But then I wouldn't erase the joy, the love, the friendship, the imagination that I have that is fueled by my deep feelings.

I would love to do the same thing but: How would we know what joy or love is, if we could not feel feelings of rejection and sorrow?

Pendragon
01-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Drama and Yelena: We wouldn't know the difference if we had nothing to compare things to. Which is why I said emotions are necessary for my life, anyway. ;) :)

Whifflingpin
01-03-2007, 10:35 AM
I don't think I would mind not knowing the difference, as long as I was joyful. If we all had the capacity to love all people as much as we can love a few, that would not diminish the worth of those few, it would just increase the worth of all the rest. etc.

The bad things are not there just so that we can appreciate the good. They are there because our adversary the devil goes about like a raoring lion seeking whom he may devour, or whatever other such explanation you prefer.

But in answer to the original question, I think Larkin expresses it best - "Why should I let the toad, Work, squat on my life?"

dramasnot6
01-03-2007, 11:47 PM
I don't think I would mind not knowing the difference, as long as I was joyful. If we all had the capacity to love all people as much as we can love a few, that would not diminish the worth of those few, it would just increase the worth of all the rest. etc.

The bad things are not there just so that we can appreciate the good. They are there because our adversary the devil goes about like a raoring lion seeking whom he may devour, or whatever other such explanation you prefer.

But in answer to the original question, I think Larkin expresses it best - "Why should I let the toad, Work, squat on my life?"

I have to use that one next time i have homework....:p

Bii
01-04-2007, 05:19 PM
It may be worth considering, before questioning the purpose of emotion or feeling, how things might work without them? Take, for example, human reproduction - this requires 'desire' or 'lust' which is an extremely strong emotion. Without this would humans simply die out, or, in order to survive, would 'desire' be replaced by something else, and how would we distinguish this from that which we currently describe as 'emotion'. What would you work for? Existence? Is existence in itself enough? What would prevent you from putting yourself in danger if you didn't have 'fear'? Would you build for the future if you didn't 'love' your children?

Emotion is so intrinsically linked with human nature it is practically impossible to imagine what life would be like without it; and whilst negative emotions in all their various forms are one's we would all like to avoid, for practical reasons they often serve a purpose, and we feel them so strongly because that purpose centres around survival.

white camellia
01-24-2007, 11:16 AM
"Man is born with a mind in tranquility, which comes only innately. The mind stirs upon perceiving the world, which is innately driven by desires…the interaction of man and woman as they are the fundamental realization of the principles of nature. Later its extension expanded to the interaction of a mind with the external world so that the spirit of the world can be felt and conceived."
And another thing as we have felt, beauty, is essential to life.

blp
01-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Would you like to attribute that quote, w?

Here's one that was the title of a Lydia Lunch album:

'The agony is the ecstasy.'

white camellia
01-24-2007, 01:41 PM
;- P It's the translation I did! The original text is written by Zhu Xi (a Chinese scholar from Song Dynasty) when he interpreted The Book of Odes (Shi Jing), the oldest classic Chinese scripture. And that 'interaction' of man and woman is firstly explained in I-Ching.

Very accurate, the title, reminds me of a poem:
I like a look of Agony,
Because I know it's true --
Men do not sham Convulsion,
Nor simulate, a Throe --

blp
01-24-2007, 03:46 PM
:p And who wrote that then?

PS good translation - though there might be a few ways to improve it.

Lily Adams
01-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Feelings have sprouted from our ancestry. (E.g. Anger or hatred when someone steals your piece of mammoth, then you go off to kill that savage who stole you hunk of blubber to take it back to your cave to survive.) Would'nt the world be perfect without emotions? I think it would be, but it would be as said earlier: boring; but we wouldn't know the difference.

The whole "emotions before logic" is really annoying. It is part of human fallacy, and can't be ignored. One way to treat this malady is education, and most maldadies are treated with, and should be.

As irritating as they are, emotions also create all kinds of art, like musick, paintings, so on the whole I'm happy they exist.

white camellia
01-25-2007, 10:55 AM
:p And who wrote that then?

PS good translation - though there might be a few ways to improve it.

Emily Dickinson.

"Why must we FEEL?" Two thousands years ago, archaic oriental people expressed their wonder through a symbolic way, which I found very interesting:
Look at the rat, it has its skin; a man without manners-a man without manners, why does he not die?
Look at the rat, it has its teeth; a man without demeanour-a man without demeanour, why does he tarry to die?
Look at the rat, it has its limbs; a man without decorum-a man without decorum, why does he not quickly die?
--The Book of Odes
Bernhard Karlgren trans.
It seems that manners (closely related to feelings) to man is like skins to rats, essential to life, and here, man's life is differentiated from that of a rat.

dramasnot6
01-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Rats feel too :)

white camellia
01-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Rats feel too

Interesting, drama! ;)

But still different from us, I guess? They feel only by instinct, and we have consciousness, and free will.

Redzeppelin
02-28-2007, 01:00 AM
We feel because we are ALIVE. Numbness is not a good thing. Emotions make life complicated - but isn't that half of the irony of life? The most rewarding things in life - marriage, children, love, success, wealth - can also bring us the greatest pain. So it is with emotion. Without emotions, we are cut-off from life itself.

Neo_Sephiroth
02-28-2007, 01:10 AM
Rats feel too :)

Interesting, drama! ;)

But still different from us, I guess? They feel only by instinct, and we have consciousness, and free will.

Rats?:confused:

I guess the answer to the question "Why must we feel?" is so easy that we had to bring rats into the mix, huh?:p

dramasnot6
02-28-2007, 04:57 AM
Interesting, drama! ;)

We feel by instinct as well, fear and excitement and the like. But with the handy little thing called higher order thinking, we do have more control over our emotions and they are more complex. Rats dont exactly realize they feel, humans do. Well,most of them....

Christian
03-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Reason prevents us from doing everything outside of ourselves; emotion prevents us from doing nothing outside of ourselves

…perhaps :)

Laura25
03-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Why not feel? Most people already exist like characters in Brave New World/ 1984, the lack of true emotion and feeling in the general population never fails to amaze me. Feeling is a sign thinking, of living truthfully. So I say be differant - feel something !

manolia
03-08-2007, 05:01 PM
World would be rather boring and sterilized without feelings..something like the inside of a drugstore. There is a nice movie you can watch which copes with this subject. It is called "Equilibrum" starring Christian Bale (i think) and it describes a future society where people take medicine in order to supress their feelings. In order to do so more effectively they destroy all the books ever created and paintings and other works of art. Check it out!

dramasnot6
03-08-2007, 05:52 PM
That sounds a bit like Brave New World manolia.

littlewing53
03-08-2007, 07:30 PM
For those who know data from star trek...in one movie he took out his emotion chip so that he could do the job he needed to do..it was the fear he was feeling and holding him back...which i thought was an interesting twist...he so wanted to be human in every way....i hope that my emotions evolve [in my sane and rational moments] as i become older and have more experiences...instead of always reacting off the cuff to every drama...i can sometimes think rational and move beyond my basic emotions...and therein lifes my progress as a human being...in a nutshell...don't sweat the small stuff

Neo_Sephiroth
03-09-2007, 01:00 AM
For those who know data from star trek...in one movie he took out his emotion chip so that he could do the job he needed to do..it was the fear he was feeling and holding him back...which i thought was an interesting twist...he so wanted to be human in every way....i hope that my emotions evolve [in my sane and rational moments] as i become older and have more experiences...instead of always reacting off the cuff to every drama...i can sometimes think rational and move beyond my basic emotions...and therein lifes my progress as a human being...in a nutshell...don't sweat the small stuff

Yep, what he/she said.:D

manolia
03-09-2007, 04:32 AM
That sounds a bit like Brave New World manolia.

I have not seen this one. I've checked on imdb. You are refering to a 1998 film made for tv. "Equilibrum" is a nice film.

Bii
03-22-2007, 04:55 PM
We feel because we are ALIVE. Numbness is not a good thing. Emotions make life complicated - but isn't that half of the irony of life? The most rewarding things in life - marriage, children, love, success, wealth - can also bring us the greatest pain. So it is with emotion. Without emotions, we are cut-off from life itself.

Nicely put.

Moira
03-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Reason prevents us from doing everything outside of ourselves; emotion prevents us from doing nothing outside of ourselves

…perhaps :)

What you said is so true ....... we would be nothing without our emotions, they are part of our identity..

There is a book written by a French contemporary author Michel Houllebeque, it is called Perhaps an island ...... I strongly recommend it, it is so beautifully written even if pretty sad. It is a parallel between life as we know it with people acting on instinct and emotions and life of our possible clones in the future, emotionless, leading a life without life ……

billyjack
03-23-2007, 01:55 PM
the whole concept of "feeling" implies the concept of "not feeling". its putting "feeling" into the realm of a concept that makes us think we could do without it. but feeling isnt a concept, its a feeling. feels can't be described, only felt.

davidlskulski
03-23-2007, 02:42 PM
i think ,without feelings or emotions we would merely react and are our lives would be run by instincts.feelings and emotions make us question, they are our judgements or assessments and choices. as humans we have evolved to feel so that we can survive. it grew out of necessity, it allows us to make correct decisions, and bad ones. humans are dominant because every step we took throughout history has made us the most effective at surviving.we have survived because we grew to feel and have emotions that sustain us.

brainstrain
03-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Hm, good points...

But I have a related questions - why do we feel such large amount of pain? To an extent it is very neccesary, but what would be the point of feeling pain to such an extent where we can't move, or think properly?

Wouldn't it be healthier for us as a species to have a point where the pain would not get any worse? Because pain is, after all, not a tangible thing but a sensory response...

Netherbard
03-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Don't think, feel!
--Bruce Lee

dramasnot6
03-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Hm, good points...

But I have a related questions - why do we feel such large amount of pain? To an extent it is very neccesary, but what would be the point of feeling pain to such an extent where we can't move, or think properly?

Wouldn't it be healthier for us as a species to have a point where the pain would not get any worse? Because pain is, after all, not a tangible thing but a sensory response...

the more stimulus, the more pain. Our body determines the amount of stimulus it needs to fix in a feedback cycle, and the only way it can do that is by measuring how much pain the stimulus causes. The larger amount of pain, the more nerve impulses sent in a given time and the more knowledge the body has as to how to cure that pain.
Good question!

dramasnot6
03-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Don't think, feel!
--Bruce Lee

:lol: I like it! Sometimes one impairs the other, though.

Neo_Sephiroth
03-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Don't think, feel!
--Bruce Lee

WORD!!!

hbacharya
03-31-2007, 10:41 AM

Why must we feel?

Feeling is all that matters in life, for if one does not feel we would be simply rocks. Imagine when some one is hurt and crying in front of you with his limbs broken and bleeding and you can not feel at all and you stand fixedly like a rock. The perceived is suffereing a bodily pain an dthe perceiver is feeling no pain at all, and the state when we are in where we can not be sensitive at all we will be like inanimate things.

Feeling is what originates creation. Whther we beleive or not in God this universe with varied objects is a manifestation of spmething. Maybe of a higher kind. I am not philosophizing my statement but an inkling permeates thru me and I feel the whole universe is born of a feeling of someone. Maybe of nature. Nature sounds inanimate. This is an illusion of us. In fact we are also nature. For we are born of it, and part of it. Since we are part of it, originated from nature, and how can we, animate things originate from things that is inanimate. To me everything is animate, a stone, a river, a cloud floating in the sky, and there is a sensation going thru everything, and this sensation is something that has to do with feeling. I think without feeling creation is impossible. It is as simple as that if our parents have no feeling for each other, and there could be no union and without that we would not have physically or manifestly existed. What goes with us applies to the entire cosmos.

I do not know whether this answers why we must feel. This is sheer sharing .
Maybe the truth is something else.

Jeroun
03-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Feeling is all that matters in life, for if one does not feel we would be simply rocks. Imagine when some one is hurt and crying in front of you with his limbs broken and bleeding and you can not feel at all and you stand fixedly like a rock. The perceived is suffereing a bodily pain an dthe perceiver is feeling no pain at all, and the state when we are in where we can not be sensitive at all we will be like inanimate things.

Feeling is what originates creation. Whther we beleive or not in God this universe with varied objects is a manifestation of spmething. Maybe of a higher kind. I am not philosophizing my statement but an inkling permeates thru me and I feel the whole universe is born of a feeling of someone. Maybe of nature. Nature sounds inanimate. This is an illusion of us. In fact we are also nature. For we are born of it, and part of it. Since we are part of it, originated from nature, and how can we, animate things originate from things that is inanimate. To me everything is animate, a stone, a river, a cloud floating in the sky, and there is a sensation going thru everything, and this sensation is something that has to do with feeling. I think without feeling creation is impossible. It is as simple as that if our parents have no feeling for each other, and there could be no union and without that we would not have physically or manifestly existed. What goes with us applies to the entire cosmos.

I do not know whether this answers why we must feel. This is sheer sharing .
Maybe the truth is something else.

I personally think you make a very interesting remark here concerning a person bleeding on the floor and that we by feeling feel compassion & help them. Maybe that's why we feel: to become a more complete race of beings. A mechanism that makes us help each other not just out of pain but also out of our mistakes. But then again, rage too is a feeling & it leads to many things. Things that are sometimes not so positive.

In my opinion, the reason why we feel is unknowable: I cannot imagine a world without feelings because I myself feel. (= The famous Perception told by Nietzsche among others) Maybe I'm wrong in this. Maybe in the future I will know the answer to the question. But at this time, I think this knowledge is unreachable for us.

(Excuse my bad English)

hyperborean
03-31-2007, 05:40 PM
We feel because we think.

billyjack
04-01-2007, 04:57 PM
that's a nice bruce lee quote

billyjack
04-01-2007, 05:06 PM
the more stimulus, the more pain. Our body determines the amount of stimulus it needs to fix in a feedback cycle, and the only way it can do that is by measuring how much pain the stimulus causes. The larger amount of pain, the more nerve impulses sent in a given time and the more knowledge the body has as to how to cure that pain.
Good question!

ok, but we feel emotions as well. we call emotions feelings. i don't think that explaining nerve impulses is going to sum up what goes into our emotions.

We feel because we think.

so is a "think" the same as a "feel?" maybe thinking isnt the cause of feeling, but rather it is feeling.

hbacharya
04-01-2007, 09:41 PM
I personally think you make a very interesting remark here concerning a person bleeding on the floor and that we by feeling feel compassion & help them. Maybe that's why we feel: to become a more complete race of beings. A mechanism that makes us help each other not just out of pain but also out of our mistakes. But then again, rage too is a feeling & it leads to many things. Things that are sometimes not so positive.

In my opinion, the reason why we feel is unknowable: I cannot imagine a world without feelings because I myself feel. (= The famous Perception told by Nietzsche among others) Maybe I'm wrong in this. Maybe in the future I will know the answer to the question. But at this time, I think this knowledge is unreachable for us.

(Excuse my bad English)

What you said is somethjing very inerestring and the fact that there are good feelings and bad ones confuses us so oftern. But let us look at creation. Every bad act with us may have a reverse effect somewhere around. The worst thing we see is death and it stirs the worst feeling. In fact death is necessary and it is a process of purgation. When we age we feel sad, for we have to shed youth. But ageing is required otherwise we will be too weary of youth.

In fact I have heard somewhere this world needs both sinners and saints, for they coexist or one does not exist without the other. Creation is not possible if there is such opposing forces.

Gibran, a great mystic said we cry when we lose someone and we cry when we join after a long separation. One is the offshoot of joys and the other of sorrows, but both feelings well up from the same resoirvoir. Does not this indicate that all feelings are one and the same at its source.

Feelings in its essence are processes of creation, a kind of stirring or sensation, a movement and nothing else. This existence and the feeling of it is one and the same. There is no duality.

hbacharya
04-01-2007, 10:21 PM
ok, but we feel emotions as well. we call emotions feelings. i don't think that explaining nerve impulses is going to sum up what goes into our emotions.

so is a "think" the same as a "feel?" maybe thinking isnt the cause of feeling, but rather it is feeling.

There are certain facts about our feelings and emotions we need to unearth. Everybody wants good feelings, joys and no one wants sorrows, and moreover, people thing good feelings are what we must have always and bad ones are unncessary.

What i want to conclude is pains are bodily needs, and as it is already stated above it is the body that crerates pains to purgate itself, and the fact without pains it can not balance its ecstasies. Both feelings, pains and joys are like two sides of the same coin and one can not exist without the other.

It is like a process of contraction and expansion and sometimes joys rise their level and sometimes sorrows, and two go side by side.

Impulses are what raise emotions, but impulses seem crude and emotions seem subtle and refined, and impulses are everywhere in our bodies and in nature. The original impulse is what gave birth to this planet earth, an impulse running thru nerves of the sun, a quaver or shivver that needed to be excreted from the sun or it needed to expurgate itself.

We are born of parents, and this was a consequence of an impulse stirring withing them, and they conjugated.

What I really put forth is impulses, feelings and emotions are all different shapes and forms of the same thing. A sensation. I beleive this creation is nothiong but a sensation crudified. And I also think that joys and sorrows, pains and relaxions have welled up from the same source and end up at the same origin from where they originated. This is an intricate issue, but is is interesting to unearth the mystery of it.

billyjack
04-02-2007, 11:25 AM
There are certain facts about our feelings and emotions we need to unearth. Everybody wants good feelings, joys and no one wants sorrows, and moreover, people thing good feelings are what we must have always and bad ones are unncessary.

What i want to conclude is pains are bodily needs, and as it is already stated above it is the body that crerates pains to purgate itself, and the fact without pains it can not balance its ecstasies. Both feelings, pains and joys are like two sides of the same coin and one can not exist without the other.

It is like a process of contraction and expansion and sometimes joys rise their level and sometimes sorrows, and two go side by side.

Impulses are what raise emotions, but impulses seem crude and emotions seem subtle and refined, and impulses are everywhere in our bodies and in nature. The original impulse is what gave birth to this planet earth, an impulse running thru nerves of the sun, a quaver or shivver that needed to be excreted from the sun or it needed to expurgate itself.

We are born of parents, and this was a consequence of an impulse stirring withing them, and they conjugated.

What I really put forth is impulses, feelings and emotions are all different shapes and forms of the same thing. A sensation. I beleive this creation is nothiong but a sensation crudified. And I also think that joys and sorrows, pains and relaxions have welled up from the same source and end up at the same origin from where they originated. This is an intricate issue, but is is interesting to unearth the mystery of it.

that sounds pretty, pretty, pretty good to me. you could also call impulses vibrations. and all of our sensing is the detection of vibrations happening around us. but from this view, the arbitrary line between us and not-us is a little sketchy, making us..."it."

the creation part sounds a lot like the "eternal recurrance", the feeding on of excriments that makes "it"-- the universe--self sufficient.

TurkeyBLT
04-18-2007, 03:03 AM
Maybe the creator craved excitement in this barren, content world. And also we would keep creating ourselves. However, it also brought evil along with it since the world had to be balanced. In order to love, we must hate.

hyperinsomnia
04-18-2007, 05:17 AM
Maybe, we weren't created.
If a devine being had the ability to make us devoid of harmful emotions, that set us back surely they would have?
I suggest that we evolved, and with that evolution came emotion, a further extension of instinct perhaps. It seems that the more we develop the more confused we get :) wonderful, isn't it?

kandaurov
04-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Sorry if this opinion has been stated before and I overlooked it, but why are you so down on thinking? If you didn't like to think you wouldn't have joined this forum in the first place, right? :p

It's crucial to think if we want to be happy. Can irrational animals be said to be happy? Poetically, sure, it's always a nice touch. But, I mean, deep down you know that ignorance is NOT bliss, and if it is, it's the worth of a stone's bliss.

In a way, I think both views are correct: if we didn't think, we wouldn't be aware of feelings; in that sense, we wouldn't feel. And thoughts do lead on to feelings, so sure, thinking can also be feeling.