PDA

View Full Version : The Count of Monte Cristo?

Adolescent09
12-29-2006, 09:14 PM
I have recently reached page 1000 in The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. Up until now the story has been not only very intriguing and brilliant, but immensely informative.

What are your thoughts of this iconic classic?

closedbyrequest
12-30-2006, 05:23 AM
Each pressing has a different number of pages. Which chapter are you at? If you love revenge and vindication, you can't help but love and respect this story. This is, by far, my favorite book. I read it twice a year and still catch new things.

B-Mental
12-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Each pressing has a different number of pages. Which chapter are you at?......
This is, by far, my favorite book. I read it twice a year and still catch new things.

My version has only 630 pages. I was thinking "uh-oh, I've read it 4-5 times and it was only the abridged version..AAAAAUUGGGHHH." It is a great book, but I always found the depth of revenge to be too intense, and soul consuming. Now, what chapter are you on.

AutumnGal
12-30-2006, 06:03 PM
I really liked the STORY. At times, I thought Dumas was quite wordy (hence, you're only on page 1000), but he also did such a brilliant job of setting up the details. However, I still wonder how Edmond (the Count) found all those people who had dealings with those he wished revenge against. The book does go into some detail about who these people are and how they're connected with others, but it doesn't say anything about Edmond's search for them. After he finds the cache of gems on the island, there's just this big chunk of intervening time where we know nothing of what Edmond has been up to--but upon reflection, I guess that is what makes it more suspenseful and interesting.

Did anyone see the movie version released in 2002 with Edmond portrayed by Jim Caviezel? What did you think of it versus the book?

Wandering_Child
12-30-2006, 06:24 PM
I love this book! It was what introduced me into historical fiction, and now that is pretty much all I read. Mine has 531 pages, and is translated and abridged by Lowell Bair.

Did anyone see the movie version released in 2002 with Edmond portrayed by Jim Caviezel? What did you think of it versus the book?

I love and hate that movie for some reasons. I love it because it was actually decent even when they thinned down the plot, but I hate it because Albert is Edmond's son and Edmond takes Mercedes back. I love the actor who plays Jacopo!

closedbyrequest
01-01-2007, 07:05 AM
I have yet to see a movie adaptation that has done the book justice. As a stand alone movie, it's great. Well acted and exciting. But as "The Cound of Monte Cristo", it is very pitiful. Half of the characters are gone. The ending is totally different. They even changed the name of Mr. Nortier.

Wandering_Child
01-07-2007, 06:17 PM
I have yet to see a movie adaptation that has done the book justice. As a stand alone movie, it's great. Well acted and exciting. But as "The Cound of Monte Cristo", it is very pitiful. Half of the characters are gone. The ending is totally different. They even changed the name of Mr. Nortier.

Of course. It was meant to be a money-seller, not a justice-doing movie. Seriously. Even after all these years some of the plot still confuses me. They wanted the movie to be understandable, and of course the audience expected Edmond to take Mercedes back.

But I still think it's a well-enough done movie.