PDA

View Full Version : Where has all the fun gone?

Stanislaw
01-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Hello, as some of you might know, I have been bumming around this sight for almost half a year now, and now I would like to bring attention to a few things. Where has all of the old blood gone, the people who actually had something to say and who were, in my opinion, intelligent. Where is Jay? Where is Den? Where is Shea? Dyrwen,

den
01-22-2004, 11:35 PM
Hey Stan ;) ... oh, I'm around sometimes, thank you for the mention... but... yeah things are different around here. So I'll just stick to my long droning on posts raving about Camus or something.

IWilKikU
01-23-2004, 07:28 AM
Its up to YOU to make sure there is stimulating conversation. YOU make your own forum. All of us are members, if we talk about stupid stuff like 7 pudding cups, the forum is going to suck. But there are enough intellegent people here to sift through the bullsh*t and have some good conversations going on. So start somthing up Stan. What's on your mind?

den
01-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Actually, I frequent a number of other forums, and I can say the same thing is going on in a lot of them, just weirdness, nonsense, party party party, no focus, but like bickering too, must be time of year? Maybe it will blow over.

Happy Chinese New Year everyone.

Koa
01-23-2004, 02:16 PM
I think forums go like waves...some periods up, some periods down...

Stan, I joined here almost one year ago, but for the first months I used to visit here only when I was very bored and had nothing else do... Because there wasn't so much going on here at all. Some stuff in the general literature part were quite interesting, there was a very involving period around Easter, there was some good general chat thing too sometimes, but nothing that made me wish to come here everytime I could. Now if I'm absent for just a few days, there's so much I want to catch up with...

Stanislaw
01-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the reasurence. I am glad people out there still think.:)

I guess I was rather depressed after reading all the posts. Things kinda went down hill.

Koa
01-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Well as I said...nevermind, I said everything in my previous post :D

I was just wondering where's fayefaye, havent seen here since last week or so...

Jay
01-26-2004, 12:53 PM
She'll be back soon Koa, don't you worry :D.
Hey Stan, people tend to think sometimes, it's the topic they think about that's usually the stuck-on-a-glacier problem. lol, and here I thought I was the sarcastic one ;).

fayefaye
01-27-2004, 10:11 AM
i don't want to say it, but this place has kinda been going down the crapper lately. And yet i keep reading all the stupid threads.

fayefaye
01-27-2004, 10:12 AM
but hey- half the stupid posts are probably mine!

DumbLikeAPoet
02-09-2004, 10:01 PM
I just don't know what is wrong around here lately....something is just going wrong . There are hardly as many good topics and when there are good ones people usually take them off topic within 5 posts......

Jonus

crisaor
02-10-2004, 12:30 AM
Maybe we've become dumber (assuming of course that we were intelligent at some point), or maybe some of the people here don't have that many things to say right now, or maybe we aren't hearing each other, and we're all yelling at the same time to get noticed. Or maybe this is just a down phase, as most things have one.
Myself, I've seen this forum in worse scenarios than this one. It's what we all make it to be. No more, no less.

Stanislaw
02-10-2004, 11:01 PM
Dumblikeapoet took my words out of my mouth. It is like a strange disease has hit or something.

IWilKikU
02-11-2004, 10:26 PM
theres no pleasing Canadians :mad:

Stanislaw
02-11-2004, 10:28 PM
We aint that bad! (think I said that before)

Any how, no offence, but it has gone down a bit.

Sindhu
02-12-2004, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by DumbLikeAPoet
I just don't know what is wrong around here lately....something is just going wrong . There are hardly as many good topics and when there are good ones people usually take them off topic within 5 posts......

Jonus
I have to agree- at least about the part where people take posts off track in minutes.Meandering is fine, but we do need to stray back on track occasionally.
I am not suggesting a snooty OXBRIDGE IVY LEAGUE kind of discussion, I'd die of boredom in a week. But since we do have so many folders available, couldn't we talk about pudding cups or whatever in the General chat folders and use the others for the purpose they were intended more?
And a more constructive suggestion- I really regret the fact that some people have gone from this forum, I miss Azmuse and ihrocks very much and I'm already tense over the periodical disappearances of Jay, Isagel and Drywen to name only a few. Den, thank God is around here(better be prepared for me to come and howl on your shoulder,Den) But the fact remains as somebody else pointed out earlier, that if some one has left- then we have to carry on.We would love it if they would come back, but if for their own reasons they can't the forum belongs to those of us who ARE here. If we honestly beleive that we cannot carry on an interesting,productiveand yes, fun discussion by ourselves- well we can hide our diminshed heads in shame and slink away. But or myself I refuse to accept that i'm as hopeless as all that. And I would be hard put to say that about a lot of people here. So,instead of getting all nostalgic(except perhaps in the general chats folder, where I'll get nostalgic with the best) why don't we see to it that if we are convinced the forums are in a slump, then let's do what we can to get itout of that slump. Afew sensible posts fromsomeone. and soon people will respond- the only thing I personally feel is that you should give a thread a chance to have a reasonable number of responses before we sweep in with the off track posts. The forum is what we who are here in the in and now can make it- better people have gone before,but that is no reason why we should sit down and despair? Surely some energetic activity on our part is what is called for?Ok, Rant over
Sorry for the soap box sermon, but I like this place a lot and I'D like to see it keeping on going.

crisaor
02-12-2004, 04:45 AM
Although I agree with Sindhu on a number of things, I still don't know what's the point of this constant whining. So far, all of the ones that are complaining about the poor quality of the forums have done little or nothing to remedy this situation.
I've seen several people leave and other become absent, and although I prefer a higher number of active members, I've no problem in them leaving if they feel that the forum is not functioning up to their expectations. Maybe you could try the user groups option that lies somewhere in the site, and seclude yourselves from the rest of the forums.
Actually, I don't really know why I'm writing this, I have no real message to deliver, nor any good advise to give. Nevermind this, it's just another boring post, probably.

subterranean
02-17-2004, 11:59 PM
I may not be one of the members who belong to the "good old days" members that Stan refered to :). One thing that I have to say to you Stan, and other members who miss the "old happy days", keep on posting peeps. Who knows, you might get those days back. There are new peeps on boards, and hope the more the merrier..

"Shine on you crazy diamonds"
(One of Pink Flyod's song which is very inspiring)
:)

Stanislaw
02-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Well, I think we can get this show back on the road, Pretty inspirational sub! Sorry for not mentioning you, you have been a good contribution to this place. I am done moping... I guess.;)

Munro
02-18-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by subterranean

"Shine on you crazy diamonds"
(One of Pink Flyod's song which is very inspiring)
:)

sub, you have by far the coolest music taste than anyone in this forum. If you have Kazaa *looks around for the record industry police* and some time, download The Flaming Lips cover of 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond', its quite nice. But their cover of 'Knives Out' by Radiohead is amazing and even almost sadder than the original. I think you'll like them:)

There are some smart characters emerging, or in some cases re-emerging (Shea, Stansilaw etc.) I'm starting to think that this place will get better pretty soon.

star blue
02-18-2004, 10:52 PM
as soon as I leave.

Stanislaw
02-18-2004, 11:24 PM
now that is the smartest thing blue has said all day.:D

star blue
02-18-2004, 11:25 PM
watch your mouth.

subterranean
02-19-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Stanislaw
Well, I think we can get this show back on the road, Pretty inspirational sub! Sorry for not mentioning you, you have been a good contribution to this place. I am done moping... I guess.;)

Glad to hear that Stan :) :)

Originally posted by Munro
sub, you have by far the coolest music taste than anyone in this forum. If you have Kazaa *looks around for the record industry police* and some time, download The Flaming Lips cover of 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond', its quite nice. But their cover of 'Knives Out' by Radiohead is amazing and even almost sadder than the original. I think you'll like them

Well thanks for the info Munro :D. And by the way, there are some peeps here who also good taste in music such as Kik and Crisaor :). Are u a radiohead fan too?

crisaor
02-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Well thanks for the info Munro :D. And by the way, there are some peeps here who also good taste in music such as Kik and Crisaor :).
Thanks for that, Sub. I believe that's the nicest thing anyone has ever told me here.

star blue
02-19-2004, 05:06 PM
we love you, crisaor.

Munro
02-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Are u a radiohead fan too?

they're my favourite band. Have you seen them live?

subterranean
02-20-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by crisaor
Thanks for that, Sub. I believe that's the nicest thing anyone has ever told me here.

Really huh? :eek:
Shame on you peopole :p

No, Munro. The band never came to (south east) Asia. I suppose they only figure that Japan is the farthest they can go :( :( :(
I blame it on the management team :mad: :mad:

Koa
02-20-2004, 12:43 PM
Do I have to be more absent for anyone to notice my absence? :D

subterranean
02-22-2004, 10:31 PM
No you dont have to KOA...

Where have you been anywayz :)????

Welcome back :D

Koa
02-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Been working and doing exams, thanks :D

Shea
02-23-2004, 01:59 PM
I noticed my name is mentioned a couple of times here. I didn't realize my company was so enjoyed *wipes away a tear*.

I've just dropped one of my classes and I'm almost done with midterms, so hopefully I can be around more often.

IWilKikU
02-23-2004, 03:11 PM
*whistles and looks around* :rolleyes:

subterranean
02-23-2004, 09:43 PM
What? You wanna vanish also to see if people are looking for you..?

Stanislaw
02-23-2004, 10:40 PM
All people are welcomed Kik. Don't feel bad. Peace to all the world.

I am in a good mood today. I did so good on my diplomas.

Hello all, have a great day.

sisyphus
02-23-2004, 11:39 PM
bite me.

fayefaye
02-27-2004, 11:45 AM
You have a nice day too. Congrats. :)

Cassandra
03-04-2004, 07:56 AM
Query: since y'all were so down here but haven't posted in a while does that mean things have improved?

Shea
03-04-2004, 10:41 AM
I think so. I still miss some people, but some of the topics are really enjoyable and insightful. After what, 3 days? I still keep giggling about the Alphabet game. It really picked me up.