PDA

View Full Version : shelley

another sara
12-22-2006, 06:51 PM
hi there...plz i need help

could someone tell me about shelley's next poems, their themesm and so...
the revolt of islam
the trumph of life
song to the men of england

and could u reccomend some books of these poems,or websites that would help me understand these poems
thanks alot

another sara
12-22-2006, 07:11 PM
any one plz

omegaxx
12-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Just off the top of my head:

"The Revolt of Islam" is one of his earlier works concerned with revolution and whatnot. The main characters, a couple, were also siblings in the original edition if my memory serves me right. This was so shocking that they had him change it over and rename it (original it was named after the two main characters).

"The Triumph of Life" is Shelley's last (and uncompleted work). Some believe it to be his best, had he lived to complete it. It's pretty much a Dante-spinoff: the speaker falls asleep and descends into the Underworld with the spirit of Rousseau, terza rima form, etc. The fragment ends on the speaker's question "Then what is life?" Ditto. I wonder too.

"Men of England" is pretty short and sweet as a rallying call for revolution. Orwell does a nice parody of it in "Animal Farm".

I'd recommend Cambridge's guide to Shelley, just to put everything into context.

another sara
12-22-2006, 07:17 PM
thanks...but ti ried that book and well i need something more specific if u know what i mean, and i need to know more about his political works..
sorry but i really need some help

omegaxx
12-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Try getting your hands on a Norton edition of Shelley's works. There's a survey of criticisms in the back of that book. You can prolly start from there and see which critics have taken the approach of looking at his political thoughts.

another sara
12-24-2006, 01:26 PM
is that the title of the book? cause i cant find it..