PDA

View Full Version : What Does Heathcliff Do?

Wicket
12-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Hi, I read Wuthering Heights a long time ago and it made a lasting impression on me. I would, in my own way, like to contribute something creative to it's world. Something not done before to my knowledge. I want to write a 3-piece set of music set around Heathcliff's journey all the through the story and elaborating also on the parts we don't see. The music will however be black metal and played entirely by me. This is a spin-off concept, so it will not interfere with my projects main musical path, but will certainly add to it.

It has been a long time since I read the book, though, so I hoped you could maybe remind me of Heathcliff's journey. I plan roughly to split it up like this...

1) Heathcliff being found up until he runs away.
2) What Heathcliff does while away (where I need most help!)
3) Heathcliff's return.

The twist I want is that when Heathcliff is away, he encounters something that I have not decided on that shows him the true nature of himself, with dark magick and occult teachings, allowing him to see the "truth" and he eventually uses this to wreak havoc when he finally returns, trying to keep Cathy with him even after death, cursing everyone to have a horrible life, and then keeping his own spirit alive after his own death (realising it is the only way to be with Cathy) I haven't really worked out any of the details, but hopefully someone can help me. In the end this should be about 3 hours long, but will take several years probably to complete and release.

Heathcliff is probably the most fascinating character, and the one I identified the most with, so I really want to do him justice. I know there is another novel about what he does when he leaves the Heights, but I haven't read it and do not plan to, I have no idea what happens within it and do not wish to.

I would imagine where Heathcliff goes is the dock, where he was found in Liverpool and tries to maybe work out where he is from, but winds up rich. Would he enroll in the army? I'm not sure what year he runs away, but I'm sure there would be some war with France going on at the time. I guess it would be too late to be in the 1812 war in the Americas? Anyway, he would need to be wounded maybe, found by some priest or something... a shaman or a hermit who after nursing him back to health realises that he is perhaps one to fulfil a prophecy (Heathcliff's name is quite magical in itself, mixing both the vetical [divinity] with the horizontal [beastliness] in a perfect balance, the true nature of man) but it turns out after all he is taught, Heathcliff is required to give up love for true fulfilment, the one thing he cannot do, so he kills the hermit and steals his gold! (all hermits have gold!) books passage back to blighty and becomes a proper gentlebeing beofre returning to the Heights with a plan for VENGEANCE!!!

I know this all sounds quite strange and exotic, but it's something I want to do and any help with the details would be VASTLY appreciated!