PDA

View Full Version : Symbolism in Hamlet

BillCosby
12-16-2006, 10:35 PM
Hi, Would Death, Revenge, supernatural and betrayal be good reoccuring symbols in Hamlet? I have to discuss reoccuring symbols in Hamlet, would anyone share some insight? Thanks alot:thumbs_up

Redzeppelin
12-20-2006, 12:41 AM
"Symbols" are generally objects that carry conceptual meanings - like the object of a heart is often associated with the concept of "love"; the object of a skull associated with the concept of "death"; gold is associated with value, purity, the king, and God. You have listed concepts for us - concepts aren't really symbols - objects and locations are. To find the symbols in Hamlet, simply look for the objectslocations that seem to be emphasized in the play.

For example, Polonius spends much time hiding behind arrases in the play - these tapestries are probably symbolic of concealment and deception, since those are Polonious's motivations for hiding behind them. Yorick's skull, flowers, Hamlet's mourning clothes, the prevalent disease imagery in the play - all of these could be symbolically interpreted.

Stephanie B.
12-20-2006, 12:51 AM
Don't think I can help you My crazy teacher makes up all this sexual symbolism when there is none so I'm at a loss And we've been disecting this stupid thing for nine weeks.