PDA

View Full Version : You're never gonna believe what I saw today...

emilysweety
12-16-2006, 04:59 PM
I was in Barnes & noble, and I saw the novel of The Phantom of the Opera, so I picked it up, I was wondering what section is this, and I looked up at the tag, it says "Horror"...My goodness~~:sick:

RDraconis
12-17-2006, 04:15 PM
It is horror. What's not to believe? It's a ghost story that easily expresses the feelings of horror and almost helplessness a girl feels as a result of the ghost.

So what if it sounds better to say it's a love story? It really isn't. He obesses about her, stalks her, almost kills her lover, hurts her, leads her to attempt suicide, and threatens to kill her and the rest of the opera if she doesn't marry him.
I can see why she wasn't just leaping into bed with him.

Erik
12-21-2006, 12:43 AM
I want to say it's a gothic novel, gothic fiction, something like that. "Horror" only gets at one aspect. It's limiting.

Did you try reading the book from different characters' perspectives? When I first read it from Raoul's point of view, man oh man, did I see something new. Gave the other approaches a whole new weight.

Wandering_Child
03-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Like previous posts have stated, The Phantom of the Opera was not written to be a pure romance. It was a horror novel. It's a marvelous book, though.

Andrew Lloyd Webber simply pumped out the romance, and that is why it is so successful with the public today.

michellenap
12-06-2007, 03:37 PM
i read The Phantom of the Opera, and I have to say that Leroux is a master-mind horror story teller. The version we have all come to know and love is SO OVERLY romanticized, its almost shocking when you read the novel. The novel is dark, mysterious, and you do not feel one ounce of pity for Erik (at least I didn't). It's wonderful. I suggest you also read "The Phoenix of the Opera" by Sadie Montgomery. A fabulous sequel. Believable beyond imagine.

AngelofPhantoms
12-16-2007, 02:43 PM
I would not consider Phantom of the Opera a "wet-yourself" horror story, but it has descriptions that run a chill down your spine, like Erik's face. It is more a romance story in my view, but I love it no matter what it is.

Wandering_Child
12-30-2007, 02:59 AM
Some of ALW's crew said that they brought out the gothic romance because Leroux was all over the place with mystery, horror, a bit of sadistic humor, and the underlying hint of romance. Besides, sex sells in today's world.

Sadly... *sigh*

Phangirl7
03-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Yes, the original novel is DEFINETLY a horror story! The part where she talks about Erik making her try to tear off his face really freaked me out! ALW just romanticized it.
P.G.7.