PDA

View Full Version : Rudyard

imthefoolonthehill
01-19-2004, 12:04 AM
Are you all mourning Rudyard Kipling's death?

Today (the 18th of January) is the anniversary of his death.

subterranean
01-19-2004, 12:17 AM
OH, I don't know that. What year?

fayefaye
01-19-2004, 12:21 AM
No.... I don't mourn author's deaths.

Jay
01-19-2004, 08:00 AM
Same as Faye, can't see a point in it. But it's nice when someone remembers... IMHO it's more meaningful than mourning.

*and I suddenly realize Nic's thread about acronyms did influence me ;)*

Shea
02-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Does anyone know about what happens at the grave site every year at the anniversary of Poe's death?

fayefaye
02-11-2004, 06:17 AM
No, but I get the feeling it's interesting. Do tell. :)

Shea
02-11-2004, 02:50 PM
This guy (no one knows who, but many have seen him) in a long black cape and hat visits his grave in the middle of the night. He kneels down and places 3 long-stem red roses and a half empty bottle of congac (I think that's the right drink and spelling) in front of the tombstone. He left a note this year that had something to do with being politically correct, but I can't remember what my instructor said it was.:rolleyes:

Does anyone know?

Munro
02-14-2004, 04:57 AM
cognac. Never drunk it though.

If it isn't an urban myth, then man that is cool. In many ways, authors and poets are my equivalent to saints, in that I am often as interested in them as I am in their works, and I look up to them as like holy figures above. As Shelley famously wrote, they are "the unacknowledged legislators of the Universe." The only minds that I often feel are really telling the truth in this world. So I should mourn their deaths, but for some reason I don't.

Thanks for that, Shea