PDA

View Full Version : Its that time again!!!

IWilKikU
01-18-2004, 07:17 AM
Thats right kids!!! Its time to play everyone's favorite game show!!! Name that book-o-th-month!!! Lets go to the boards and check out this months nominees!!! Well first off we've got Frankenstien!!! Hey its that crazy Frankenstien!!! Ever dress like him at Halloween??? I have and let me tell ya about the candy I raked in that year!!! Next its that crazy Stranger!!! But seriously guys, who's going to vote for a stranger anyways??? Am I right or am I right??? Than on to that crazy old Ulysses!!! What a crazy crazy guy that Ulysses is huh??? Oh yeah!!! And lets not forget about Sophie's crazy crazy World, huh??? Ok contestants grab your buzzers... wait for it... ... ... ...

OK GO VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!!

no purchase nessesary. Some restrictions may apply

Koa
01-18-2004, 11:58 AM
LOL... sorry, you misspelled FrankenstEIn ;)

IWilKikU
01-18-2004, 09:12 PM
Vote!!! I command You!!!

subterranean
01-18-2004, 10:51 PM
No need to YELL ;)

There i have posted my vote!
Happy?!
:)

azmuse
01-18-2004, 11:06 PM
well...at least caps lock isn't on/he's not shouting
...have voted - Ulysses - yes! it's in the lead...unlike my poor eagles...how sad...they are only eye candy, and not this year's future super bowl champions :( (shush az!)

fayefaye
01-19-2004, 12:34 AM
LOL. kiks, you should do all the polls!

Gozeta
01-19-2004, 11:05 AM
I thought Frankenstien was better than Ulysses. I kind of like the gothic imagery given in the story. What you guys think?

IWilKikU
01-19-2004, 08:16 PM
I think that if you are going to read with the book club that you should vote!!! Otherwise... well we dont really know untill we read them both. (read Frank, havn't read Ulysses. That why I voted for Ulysses.)

Gozeta
01-20-2004, 07:58 AM
damn sorry. I guess your right but I already read both of them. Thats why I just chose the one I liked most. Don't get so hyped up about it...

IWilKikU
01-20-2004, 04:35 PM
My friend, we take our book of the month very VERY seriously. DEATH TO HE THAT THINKS OTHERWISE!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

azmuse
01-20-2004, 04:40 PM
kik, don't swing your executioner's ax Quite So wildly! we aren't mary stuart ;)

Gozeta
01-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Maybe we got of on the wrong foot. Sorry Iraq is kind of stressful.

IWilKikU
01-21-2004, 08:19 PM
BRAAAZAAAAAOOOOOGGGAAAA VOOOOOOOOTTTEEEE!!!!! RAAAGGHEHHHHAAAAHHHGGHHHAAA!!!

ps. Isn't Jersey kind of a ways from Iraq?

IWilKikU
01-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Gozeta, just to clarify, I'm just playin' around dude. No one takes this THAT seriously.

Gozeta
01-21-2004, 08:51 PM
(phew) I thought you actually were . Yea I know NJ is a long way from Iraq but I'll be back in April to see my family.

IWilKikU
01-22-2004, 09:07 AM
Your in Iraq now, and you live in New Jersey? Or your an Iraqi who lives in Jersey? Or you are in Jersey and your family happens to live in Iraq? Or what? You lost me.

Gozeta
01-22-2004, 06:27 PM
lol No you see, I live in NJ. But I'm in Iraq because I'm deployed. (Kind of in the army here.) And I'm not from Iraq but from Puerto Rico. Sorry for the confusion. lol

azmuse
01-22-2004, 06:32 PM
so your family is your army family? ...am still confused porque su madre y padre son in Puerto Rico, no?

Gozeta
01-22-2004, 07:26 PM
so your family is your army family? ...am still confused porque su madre y padre son in Puerto Rico, no?

SI son de Puerto Rico. Pero viven in NJ. My family is not the army family.

azmuse
01-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Yay! I get it! You're deployed at This very moment.

Take care of yourself.

Gozeta
01-22-2004, 08:05 PM
ahh good. I finally got through and thanks I'll try. Kind of hectic down these parts. lol

azmuse
01-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Wow! You read Piri Thomas; i had to in humanities last semester, didn't know of anyone who'd heard of him outside of class - too cool.

Gozeta
01-23-2004, 01:44 AM
but offcourse I've heard of him. He's Puerto Rican. I read also one of his big books called "Down These Mean Streets". It's an awesome story of his life. Plus his poetry isn't that bad.

Geeez I knew they had to be some Piri Thomas fans out there. lol

IWilKikU
01-23-2004, 04:56 AM
So you're deployed, but you have regular access to the net? That's cool.

Gozeta
01-23-2004, 07:31 AM
yup thats the case. Isn't Technology grand??

azmuse
01-23-2004, 12:32 PM
mmph. does being puerto rican automatically mean you'll know your cultural heroes just like that (snaps fingers)? because i can tell you i was raised in the wonder bread capital of the world, and was never exposed to any of my cultural heritage by either of my parents (quiet father, absent mother, white bread stepmom) - meaning that anything i know of black arts, italian arts, german arts (don't know anything) irish and native american stuff i had to discover on my own. you're pretty lucky...
we read down these mean streets in class. it was pretty tight. did you ever read always running by luis rodriguez?

Koa
01-23-2004, 02:52 PM
me voted

IWilKikU
01-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Oh man. What happens if we end up with a tie?

azmuse
01-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Tug-of war! :D

crisaor
01-24-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by IWilKikU
Oh man. What happens if we end up with a tie?
No problem there. We'll just award Ulysses the victory.... :rolleyes:
*acts distracted*

Koa
01-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Tie... we choose a random one somehow... Or Admin chooses (just because we need someone to that and ...well, he's the allmighty Admin :D Or fayefaye cos she has the highest post number). Or we vote again :D Or we find a reason to choose one or the other... or the first one who re-votes wins (*tying crisaor to a tree so he can't re-vote incase this happens* :D)...Or...let me think...Someone asks a question and the one who answers right chooses the book (did i watch too many dumb quizzes? :D)

IWilKikU
01-25-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Koa
Tie... we choose a random one somehow... Or Admin chooses (just because we need someone to that and ...well, he's the allmighty Admin :D

That sounds like the best, although we might not need to, since there's not a tie anymore.

Originally posted by Koa
Or fayefaye cos she has the highest post number). Or we vote again :D Or we find a reason to choose one or the other... or the first one who re-votes wins (*tying crisaor to a tree so he can't re-vote incase this happens* :D)...Or...let me think...Someone asks a question and the one who answers right chooses the book (did i watch too many dumb quizzes? :D) [/B]

Sorry Koa, but those are all incredibly silly ideas.:p . At least you had one that will work. My idea would be to go with the shorter one. I looked at Ulysses the other day in the book store, and did anyone else notice that it was 900+ pages? Thats crazy! But I'm still in for it when... uh I mean if... it wins. ;)

Jay
01-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Should have some more time now, so count me in for the book club :D. And NO Ulysses, Frankie :p. ;)

Voted, Kik, sorry, hope someone else votes for Frankie ;) so we don't have a tie :D.

Koa
01-26-2004, 04:45 PM
Well Kik, I never said I wasn't trying to be silly... :D

Yes another thing I was considering is that Ulysses is incredibly long (and probably not easy to digest), it will never fit in one month, unless you really have nothing else to do. (Plus I'm personally stuck in my prejudice and won't read it for any reason in the world, at least for now).

If it's Frankestein, I might join in late February, unless this hectic life is still so hectic by that time...

IWilKikU
01-26-2004, 06:51 PM
Whatever book wins I will read. If its Ulysses (which, by the way, I did vote for) than so be it! If I can suffer through Dorian Gray, I can read ANYTHING!!!

Sindhu
01-27-2004, 04:12 AM
I voted for Frankie, which I have read, as opposed to Ulysses which I have "looked through"- (as opposed to "read") maybe I should hope Ulyssess wins as that way I'll end up reading it "properly!":D
But we still have a tie don't we? Oh dear...

subterranean
01-27-2004, 05:10 AM
Oh please...let it be Frankie...

I BOUGHT THE BOOK ALREADY...AND HAVE READ FEW CHAPTERS

please...!!!!!!

:D

crisaor
01-27-2004, 04:31 PM
C'mon, people, Frankenstein's fairly short, you can read it slowly in a week or less. On the other hand, Ulysses will require a full month (or more, to be honest), but it's still holidays. Now's the time to read it...

*Wonders if it wouldn't be wiser to read the book alone and get it over with, in spite of the terrifying size and complexity*

IWilKikU
01-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Is it still holliday for you? I've been back to school for 2 weeks. Holliday in February, ahhh that sounds nice!

IWilKikU
01-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Frankenstien takes the lead! But Ulysses still has 4 days to make a comeback!

Jay
01-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Holidays? NOW? wow... you sure Cris ;):p ?

crisaor
01-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Uh, sorry guys, sometimes I forget that I live in another hemisphere. Here we have (summer) holydays from mid december to march.
4 days to make a comeback? Mmmm...
*Ponders about the benefits of alternate forum identities*

Koa
01-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Holidays lol... *looks at her schedule* work, study, work, study... I can't allow myself to read anything until the last exam, on 17th Feb... it'd affect my study, which is slow and lacks concentration even without a wonderful novel in my hands...

crisaor, in this hemisphere, or at least in my country, the worse months for students are january and february... (and may at school, or june july at uni)

subterranean
01-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by crisaor
C'mon, people, Frankenstein's fairly short, you can read it slowly in a week or less. On the other hand, Ulysses will require a full month (or more, to be honest), but it's still holidays. Now's the time to read it...

*Wonders if it wouldn't be wiser to read the book alone and get it over with, in spite of the terrifying size and complexity*

Cris, that's why I want it to be Frankie..cause it's short. I don't have much time to read a book which require a month to finish!

IWilKikU
01-28-2004, 10:36 PM
maybe we should propose a page limit for club selections in the future?

crisaor
01-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Ok ok, you won people. Let Frankenstein win. :)
*Fakes anger*
You've made a terrible mistake this day! I'll go get Telemachus and we'll slay you all!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

fayefaye
01-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Excellent. Since I just bought a copy of Frankenstein. Damned fear of public libraries. I think I'm crazy.

azmuse
01-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Hope Gozeta's still ok.

IWilKikU
01-30-2004, 07:15 PM
I thought that I had a copy of Frank back home in VA, so I havn't picked one up here even though I've seen it practically EVERY time I've been to Oxfam (<- super charity shop where I get 5 books for 1lb). So I come back to the UK and stop by Oxfam... AND ITS NOT THERE!!! For like the first time in 3 months!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

crisaor
01-30-2004, 07:20 PM
LOL. That happens to me all the time. It's one of those Murphy rules. :D

Admin
02-03-2004, 12:13 AM
It was close but Frankenstein wins.