PDA

View Full Version : Taming of the Shrew introduction

12-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Hi i'm new here but i have to write an essay on how the introduction adds depth to the taming of the shrew. I have some ideas such as role reversal and that can lead to deception but with Sly and the lord is that deception or role reversal?
I find writting essays very hard and although i have some small ideas already it would be helpful with any hints
Thanks

Redzeppelin
12-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Disguise/mistaken identity is one of Shakespeare's most common comedic devices. The question is less one of rolel-reversal than it is of identity. In "Taming" most of the characters are playing at being somebody else - in fact, few people act as they truly are (even Bianca reveals at the end that she is, in fact, a "shrew" who has "played" Lucentio for a fool). Christopher Sly is told he's someone else and the comedy comes from his attempt to take on a role that is not really his (likewise in Hortensio's pretending to be a teacher). Nobody in the play is really who she/he REALLY is - not even Kate; but Kate is different: she doesn't realize that she is "playing a part" until Petruccio shows her who she is capable of being.

Hope that's somewhat helpful

thelack
12-12-2006, 03:24 AM
Hi i'm new here but i have to write an essay on how the introduction adds depth to the taming of the shrew. I have some ideas such as role reversal and that can lead to deception but with Sly and the lord is that deception or role reversal?
I find writting essays very hard and although i have some small ideas already it would be helpful with any hints
Thanks

ı m also new here lıke you! and ı dont know wery well how to communıcate to other members.......and the contaıns of the sıte.... is there anyone to help meee?