PDA

View Full Version : How relevant is 'The Great Gatsby' today?

MrsduVivier
12-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Discuss how relevant (or not) you think the novel is to today's readers and give specific reasons for your answers.:argue:

B-Mental
12-06-2006, 06:11 PM
I believe that the essence of the book (trappings of wealth, desire, personal makeover) are as relevant now as they were in the time Fitzgerald wrote the story. It isn't difficult to find the specific answers, but as this sounds like an essay question and I have no familiarity with the poster I will defer to give specific answers.

I will say that the time setting historically and presently have many similarities. Good Luck.

Hugh
12-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Although the main ideas of 'The Great Gatsby' may have been relevent to the social structure of the time they have lost the true effectivenes they might have had. The main ideas of the immorality of the Jazz age could find it hard to link with us today, the constant alcoholism running throughout is no longer so immoral with the removal of prohibition also the social revamp of the great depression sliced through all society and even the extremely rich couldnt continue thier uncontrolable hedonism. By the end of 2 world wars that relied on the classes forgetting thier prejudice to fight a common evil the intolerance and prejudice that Fitzgerald wrote about have all but dissapeared.