PDA

View Full Version : What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

piquant
01-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Did any of you see the movie hedwig, or the play? I think it is quite possibly one of the best movies I have ever seen. Rent it if you get a chance. It's all about a transvestite who escaped nazi germany to become a rock and rule star, but it is about so much more, and is loaded with greek mythology, and the music is great because its a rock and roll musical. It is so creative, and visually rich, and sybolic, I don't even have words.

DumbLikeAPoet
01-12-2004, 06:38 PM
I've seen the movie and the play. Although I didn't see the play with the original Hedwig. Definitly one of my favorite movies "The Origin of Love" is one of the best songs ever. Ok well not much time I just wanted to say this is indeed a great play and everyone should go see it.

Also for those who havn't seen the movie/play it is actualy called Hedwig and the Angry Itch and it wasn't Nazi Germany he escaped it was Russian/communist Germany.

Jonus

piquant
01-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Sorry, the only thing worse than my American History is my German History.

I never saw the play (tear), but my roomate did a few times, and she loved it. I went to rent the movie though and I couldn't find it in any of the rental places, then when I tried to buy it I couldn't find it in any of the stores.

Koa
01-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Is it a play??? I saw the movie, I loved it!!!!!!
The song about how love started cos the people were joined than were divided is simply amazing! I wanted to look for the soundtrack but I never did...

DumbLikeAPoet
01-16-2004, 09:37 PM
Yeah Koa it was originally a play. It was touring throughout New Mexico and Colorado last year. I'm not sure if there is a website or anything for it thouhg.

Jonus

piquant
01-19-2004, 02:35 AM
I did get the soundtrack. There're a few songs on it that aren't in the movie, but all the best one's are in it. I like Midgight Radio and the wig song the best. Me and my friends watch it over and over at 3AM when we should be sleeping. Life is beautiful.

trismegistus
06-29-2004, 01:11 PM
Can be in theatres or at home.

Matrix Revolutions (Yeah I know. I'm way behind.) What an utter piece of crap! Can't somebody please put the Wachowski bothers and their pseudo-profundity out of their misery????

2/10

verybaddmom
06-29-2004, 01:15 PM
i watched "Big Fish" last night. it wasnt quite what i expected, but i did enjoy it. rate it? i would have to say seven out of ten. there were some disjointed scenes that were hard to follow, and some of the acting was a bit shallow. however, it starts with five, just because it was a Tim Burton film, and because it was all about fantasy.

trismegistus
06-29-2004, 02:07 PM
however, it starts with five, just because it was a Tim Burton film, and because it was all about fantasy.
I like what he was trying to say about the imagination's ability to construct reality, but IMO he didn't say it well. I feel let down by Burton. He has the capacity for genius, but some of his work is just brutal (e.g. Sleepy Hollow , Planet of the Apes .)

Isagel
06-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Matrix Revolutions (Yeah I know. I'm way behind.) What an utter piece of crap! Can't somebody please put the Wachowski bothers and their pseudo-profundity out of their misery????

2/10

Have to agree with you on that one. I loved the first movie, and was eagerly awaiting for the last one to wrap it all up. And then ...nothing. The third movie just shows that there was nothing underneath the oh-so-elegant surface.

"There is no substance."

Monica
06-29-2004, 04:28 PM
i watched kill bill vol2. i haven't seen the first part, so at the beginning i was a bit confused, but i liked it anyhow

Kiwi Shelf
06-29-2004, 05:05 PM
"The Stepford Wives"
Really funny and had imo one of the greatest endings ever!
But, I am a really big feminist, so a lot of the movie annoyed me excessively.

So, I would give it a 7, mainly for the humour and ending

papayahed
06-29-2004, 05:08 PM
Mystic River. It was pretty good, I'd give it an 8.

crisaor
06-29-2004, 05:42 PM
I like what he was trying to say about the imagination's ability to construct reality, but IMO he didn't say it well. I feel let down by Burton. He has the capacity for genius, but some of his work is just brutal (e.g. Sleepy Hollow , Planet of the Apes .)
Actually, I thought Sleepy Hollow was great. Have you read the tale? Burton did an amazing job with that movie, even when it's not one of his best jobs. That being said, I agree 100% about Planet of the Apes.

Sancho
06-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Watched "Sling Blade" last night on cable TV. I've always preferred low budget indie films to the big time Hollywood productions. I'd give it an 8. The "Frank" character was a little too perfect for an adolescent.

"That boy likes the way I talk. UmmHmm"

"Y’all got any of them French Fried potatoes? UmmHmm"

“Doyle sez bring an ambulance, or better make it a hearse. UmmHmm"

subterranean
06-30-2004, 03:35 AM
Galaxies are colliding....weird movie with good message

i give 6.5

emily655321
06-30-2004, 06:04 AM
Sancho -- I love love love Sling Blade. I think it has one of the best endings of any movie I've seen.
"Some people call it a Kaiser blade. I call it a sling blade. Mmhm."

Crisaor -- I'm pretty familiar with the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Wasn't Ichabod Crane a schoolmaster who lived in Sleepy Hollow? Why all of a sudden all this about a City detective and a big conspiracy of town elders? I've seen the movie two or three times and have never liked it much. As always, Burton is great at atmosphere and camera angles, but it's rare that he can put something equal to his visual skill within the frame.

Saturday I saw Fahrenheit 9/11. ;) I can't talk about it here. Suffice to say it is presented as propaganda, but the facts are still there. Actually, I was surprised at how small and watered-down a piece of the [subjects'] actions and histories was presented, myself being fairly well informed. But anyway, I'm treading on dangerous ground. I'll just say I found it extremely motivating.

ajoe
06-30-2004, 10:57 AM
I saw Beethoven last night. *sigh* Where are movies like that nowadays???

crisaor
06-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Crisaor -- I'm pretty familiar with the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Wasn't Ichabod Crane a schoolmaster who lived in Sleepy Hollow? Why all of a sudden all this about a City detective and a big conspiracy of town elders? I've seen the movie two or three times and have never liked it much. As always, Burton is great at atmosphere and camera angles, but it's rare that he can put something equal to his visual skill within the frame.
Exactly, Emily. It's a lame story about a rural teacher who gets drunk at a tabern, hears some headless horseman stories, heads out, walks a bit, and gets killed. End of story.
Compare that to the movie, which one do you think it's better?

elibennet
06-30-2004, 08:02 PM
Last week I saw "Chocolat" for the 5th time. I am in love with that movie. Just the same thing that happened to me some years ago with Cinema Paradiso. Anyway, the last movie I saw at the cinema is an argentine one, "Luna de Avellaneda". Just fantastic

crisaor
06-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Anyway, the last movie I saw at the cinema is an argentine one, "Luna de Avellaneda". Just fantastic
You liked that one? Intriguing. Sometimes I wonder if the type of movies that are made here won't ashame people elsewhere around the world. Glad to see that wasn't the case, though. :)

amuse
07-01-2004, 12:29 AM
i finished "The Seventh Stream" before work today - it's a tale about a silkie who takes off her skin and ends up on land (Ireland), unable to go back into the ocean as a seal until the next seventh stream, which only comes twice a year - if she misses the next one, she will have to die on land in human form.
this one guy was jealously possessive, his dad tried to help protect her, this other man fell in love with her, and she was wise, innocent, gorgeous, torn.
so then, the time came to decide to stay human or become a seal again...
...i cried. don't know the last movie that made me cry, and feel.
10. wonderful "real life" faerie tale.

emily655321
07-01-2004, 02:03 PM
I saw that one on video years ago at our friends' house. I don't remember any of it, because the VCR ate the tape halfway through. Our friend had to take it apart and wind the tape up by hand, but I seem to think we finished watching it.

amuse
07-01-2004, 02:09 PM
yeah, it came to this hallmark from their main distribution site without plastic wrap (grr) and was sticky in some places. but i absolutely had to finish it, as irritating as that was.

feel better soon, em!

subterranean
07-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Psyco...for the numerous times..

still the point is 8.

Sancho
07-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Ouch, you guys are slaying Washington Irving’s “Legend of Sleepy Hollow.” I can’t speak to Burton’s movie since I haven’t seen it, but I do know there was more to the original story than Crisaor’s synopsis. (Otherwise Hollywood wouldn’t still be using it as source material, eh?) Also the cartoon version they’d show us around Halloween used to scare the crap out of me when I was little.

Cris, I don’t think Ichabod was off-ed in the story. I think his fate was left ambiguous; they just never found him - thus perpetuating the legend.

I really think that you have to read that story with a sense for the time and place in which it was written. Even though Irving wrote like an Englishman, he was an American in a new America, and the story is purely American. Here’s this brand new nation, raw and bursting with energy, optimistic about the future and happy to be rid of King George’s shackles. Of course it was a transition period in North America and little Dutch farming villages or Sleepy Hollows were being left behind.

So anyway, it is a fun little story and a legend, but I also think that it’s somewhat of an allegory for the new nation. Brom Bones would represent the optimism and energy of the new American population and Ichabod would represent old Europe. Katrina, of course, was the prize – this magnificent piece of mother earth that lies between Canada and Mexico.

I reread the story every once and a while and I always find something I haven’t noticed before. If you feel like reading it, you’ve gotta read it with its companion story, “Rip Van Winkle,” (the man who slept through the American Revolutionary War). I always kinda liked ole Rip (he was hen-pecked too.)

papayahed
07-02-2004, 09:11 AM
I used to have an album (I'm dating myself) with the story of Sleepy Hollow. I would never listen to it because the front cover scared the crap out of me. That and my mom's book The Shining, on the front cover was a childs head with hair but no features. Both are probably still in the basement where I hid them. Any Hoo....back to the movies....

crisaor
07-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Ouch, you guys are slaying Washington Irving’s “Legend of Sleepy Hollow.” I can’t speak to Burton’s movie since I haven’t seen it, but I do know there was more to the original story than Crisaor’s synopsis.
I admit the first, not so sure about the second though. :)

Cris, I don’t think Ichabod was off-ed in the story. I think his fate was left ambiguous; they just never found him - thus perpetuating the legend.
It's as you say Sancho, however, I think it's very unlikely that he survived, but that's my own view.

So anyway, it is a fun little story and a legend, but I also think that it’s somewhat of an allegory for the new nation. Brom Bones would represent the optimism and energy of the new American population and Ichabod would represent old Europe. Katrina, of course, was the prize – this magnificent piece of mother earth that lies between Canada and Mexico.
I didn't get that from reading the book, it's an interesting interpretation.

emily655321
07-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Oh, oh, movie! The other day I watched "The City of Lost Children"(La Cité des Enfants Perdus) on TV, subtitled. This is what movies should be! 10, all the way. :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

I've heard of "Delicatessen" before, too, by the same guys. Now I definitely have to see that one. :D :D

Kiwi Shelf
07-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I just go back from the movies a couple of hours ago, went to see "The Notebook," which is based on a Nicholas Sparks novel. I wanted to read the book first, but would you believe that I couldn't find it? I figure now that I have seen the movie every bookstore will suddenly have it. :rage:

Anyways, I am not into the whole sappy romances, but I will tell you that I liked this movie... One of the better I have seen in a while. I give it like an 8. The funny thing is that in a strange way I can relate to it...

Stanislaw
07-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Man on Fire

10/10 because it was an awesome film with a cool story.

verybaddmom
07-05-2004, 02:07 AM
i have been wanting to see "the notebook" since i first saw the previews for it, so im glad to hear that you enjoyed it Kiwi.
i saw "my big fat greek wedding" tonight, and while i dont know if it was all that spectacular, i balled the whole way through: when she was teased as a little girl, when he proposed, when she woke up with a zit on her wedding day....
can you say PMS?? :nod:

emily655321
07-05-2004, 05:33 AM
I remember my parents dragged me to the movies when they wanted to see "Spiderman," and I went to see "that indie I think I heard good things about" (a.k.a. MBFGW). That was when it was relegated to one of the little screens down a hallway of the theater where old movies get sent to die. :p But the theater was filled with whole families who had obviously already seen it about five times apiece, and I had so much fun. I told my mom, "It's a romantic comedy, and I actually LIKED it!" Then I kept hearing more and more about it, and the next time I went to the movies it was on like two or three of the big screens. I love that movie. :)

Shadowraven
07-06-2004, 12:55 AM
Spiderman 2 - 6 (I disliked a part of the ending.)

Fahrenheit 9/11 - 9 (I liked that it made me think.)

Chicago - 10 (editing, script, make-up, choreography, all fantasticalicious!)

Secret Window - wouldn't know... damn Blockbuster copy wouldn't finish playing.

atreides
07-06-2004, 02:51 AM
I saw Shrek 2 last week at the movies, it was sooo much better then the first one, which i never saw until it came out on tv, and had been so overhyped and overdone I didnt really care. I have puss in boots' cute look on my desktop :P

emily655321
07-06-2004, 04:47 AM
I haven't seen Secret Window, but my parents did and they were so disappointed. Apparently Hollywood thought, "hey, if we cast Johnny Depp and John Turturro in an offbeat mystery movie, it'll be just like an indie, but make blockbuster profit!" ...WRONG.

papayahed
07-06-2004, 09:13 AM
Die Mommie Die - 4. I thought it would be a good campy movie but it just didn't do it for me, kinda boring.

emily655321
07-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Good. I almost went to see that. *phew* Kept my 10.

Kiwi Shelf
07-06-2004, 10:37 AM
I saw Secret Window, and it starts out good, but the ending is terrible!

On a happy note, I finally found "The Notebook" and although it is of course different from the movie, it is a really good read. I am almost done. :)

imthefoolonthehill
07-07-2004, 06:29 AM
I liked secret window....

anyways

The Butterfly Effect.... best movie since... since... uh.... uh.... sliced bread... or something. (its that good)

JediFonger
07-07-2004, 05:31 PM
i respectfully disagree on the matrix revolutions post. it was better than reloaded and the first matrix. it's truly the most philosophical trilogy of films EVER made.

Edzabeen
07-08-2004, 05:57 AM
Actually it was the latest Potter movie :blush: but don't mind that. Worth remembering was the Titanic: Ghosts of Abyss. Although we have no IMAX in Latvia and had to watch it with those strange glases. I'd give it 8

emily655321
07-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Do those glasses work? I've never tried them.

Shadowraven
07-08-2004, 01:15 PM
So we got another copy of Secret Window... that was mostly lame. It was very predictable.

Last night watched copy of Metropolis I just purchased... I remember it being more interesting and having more of an impact on me when I first saw it... but oh well, still a classic with fantastic special effects for it's time. Great theme also.

emily655321
07-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Loooooooooooooove Metropolis. :D :banana:

For some reason that reminds me: Has anyone seen the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari? I love that movie too. In fact, silent movies are just the ****. :lol: How else can I say it?

papayahed
07-08-2004, 02:39 PM
DOH!! I ordered Metropolis from Netflix and the DVD messed up just after the Robot woman was revealed.....I never did see the end of it.

emily655321
07-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Aww. You're having bad luck with DVD's, my friend.

She's in the trailer (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0017136/trailers) a bunch. (Yes, I'm now addicted to doing this (http://www.thecorporation.com/). :D)

:banana: (http://www.bigmixup.com/) <--Go ahead! Click him!

crisaor
07-08-2004, 04:30 PM
i respectfully disagree on the matrix revolutions post. it was better than reloaded and the first matrix. it's truly the most philosophical trilogy of films EVER made.
WHAT???????????????????????????????????????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Revolutions better than the first Matrix????????????????????
First person ever who claims this. I'm surprised as to why you think this is so. Care to elaborate your point? :)

Edzabeen
07-08-2004, 04:33 PM
About those glasses: Yes they work but I think they worked better for me if I hadn't my own too. It was quite amusing to have both of them on your nose. And I'm completely agreeing with criasaor about that Matrix question ;)

JediFonger
07-08-2004, 05:14 PM
THEY ALL DIED IN THE END!

just half-kidding... they almost all died in the end. =).

Kiwi Shelf
07-08-2004, 10:26 PM
You liked a movie for the amount of death...?

Anyways, I saw Mystic River tonight, that is a very jumpy movie but I liked it. Give it a 7.

emily655321
07-09-2004, 12:07 AM
I'd have liked it better if they only let people do accents who ... you know ... could do accents. Sean Penn's was so-so, Lawrence Fishburne's was incredible, everyone else sucked.

JediFonger
07-09-2004, 12:57 AM
em which paaaaart of MA do you live in? Boston is REAL thick on the accent. thus far the best accent i've seen on film is probably good will hunting... for obvious reasons =). other than that everyone kinda fakes it unless they wuh from uhround he-ah.

emily655321
07-09-2004, 04:01 AM
Hehe. You should hear -- I mean, read -- Sancho's impression. It's so awesome. I'm in southern Whis-tah county. ;) But my parents aren't from around here, so I don't have an accent. *phew* I think. I hope. I actually haven't seen Good Will Hunting...I know, sacrilege. But somehow it's hard for me to believe Affleck could improve that much in the time between that and the Kevin Smith movies. *shrug* But maybe now I will, if only for the refreshing change of hearing someone not just phoning it in on a Hahvahd Yahd impression.

papayahed
07-09-2004, 10:16 AM
KIWI, I'm glad you liked Mystic River. I always worry when people take my advise about movies/music it's so subjective. I raved and raved about the movie INTACTO but nobody else liked it as much as I did. Did anybody else see it?

Kiwi Shelf
07-09-2004, 10:41 AM
KIWI, I'm glad you liked Mystic River. I always worry when people take my advise about movies/music it's so subjective. I raved and raved about the movie INTACTO but nobody else liked it as much as I did. Did anybody else see it?

I really did like Mystic River, don't worry. :p
I have never seen INTACTO, so I can't comment on that one.

JediFonger
07-09-2004, 10:59 AM
em, you'll find that good will hunting remains ben+matt best work (at the time of this post). ben was pretty good in chasing amy and matt is pretty good in rounders but good will hunting really solidified both of them. outsides of those mentioned films it has been disasters imho.

imthefoolonthehill
07-10-2004, 12:58 AM
Starsky and Hutch on the airplane. I give it a c-

it barely passed for entertainment.

simon
07-10-2004, 02:05 AM
I knew that car was going to miss the boat, I could see it coming as soon as I saw they were headed for the docks.

ravana
07-10-2004, 11:32 AM
"Pretty woman" Of course - 10
It's really cool. I enjoyed it again..... It reminded me my school years and my sister..........
I like Julia Roberts.

trismegistus
07-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Has anyone seen the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari?
That's a film that stands the test of time reasonably well. Out of all the German Expressionist films, however, I'll take M every time.

Just saw Shrek 2. Cute. Not as good as the first; I give it a 6. If it wasn't for Puss in Boots and the way Banderas plays the character, I'd drop it a point or more.

Koa
07-13-2004, 08:50 AM
I dont usually post here cos I'm not a big movie-watcher, even if in some periods, like now, I seem to catch up...

Last night my teenage brother persuaded me to watch with him this horror film parody called Shriek if I'm not wrong...Ok I knew it was going to be crap, but if the marks are from 1 to 10...I give it 0 anyway!!! It was so bad that even my brother said it was worse than he remembered, which I guess means that noone over the age of 13 can enjoy that...
Btw, are American schools like those you see in films? Large 'passages', big garden with grass, big sport playground, 'cupboards' for every student...etc etc? (I'm sure you know what I mean, think of any movie/tv serie involving a school...)

Koa
07-13-2004, 08:53 AM
"Pretty woman" Of course - 10
It's really cool. I enjoyed it again..... It reminded me my school years and my sister..........
I like Julia Roberts.
oopsie...can't help commenting...I hate Julia Roberts, every single one of their films irritates me so much... pretty woman is the only one I can bear, but it's not too great either...
Like being cute, having a huge smile and be soooo romaaaantic could take anywhere. Might be one of my male sides :D

I hate all romantic films except Gone With The Wind... I might watch it again soon (and of course cry at the end. Now Im female again ;))

Edzabeen
07-13-2004, 09:09 AM
I just found this one http://intuitor.com/moviephysics/index.html Simply marvelous, especially the reviews afterwards.

papayahed
07-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Darkness Falls - Classic hokey Scary movie, the lead actors voice was to crackley. I'd give it a 5.

emily655321
07-13-2004, 05:02 PM
Koa -- schools in movies are generally similar to real schools (kids have their own locker, the halls are wide-ish, there's a football field and a baseball field and sometimes a tennis court -- at least at my school), but not nearly as ritzy as they are in movies. People always make fun of how rich everyone is in movies -- how everyone drives to school in a brand new car, everything is really clean, etc.

Koa
07-13-2004, 06:53 PM
ah ok, i was wondering about that too infact...

Koa
07-14-2004, 06:15 PM
I must really be in movie-phase...

Just saw '4 weddings and a funeral', I found many little things to relate with and be depressed about, but in its silliness (I mean, the end is obvious) it was quite entertaining so I can give it a good 7.

imthefoolonthehill
07-14-2004, 06:43 PM
Johnny English B very entertaining and funny... extra points for the doctors office scene

Kiwi Shelf
07-18-2004, 11:13 PM
Me and my boyfriend watched a couple ofmovies on our week vacation, but the last one was "Big Fish"
I had seen it before, and thought it was good. He on the other hand loved it and cried. It was kind of cute, but I will give his rating: a 10

emily655321
07-19-2004, 12:54 AM
Oh, that's so nice. :) I've never seen a guy cry at a movie.

I want to see Napoleon Dynamite so much, but I can't find any local theater where it's playing. I've heard that the writing is often forced and unoriginal, but the actors' deliveries are effortless and really make up for it.

Kiwi Shelf
07-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Oh, that's so nice. :) I've never seen a guy cry at a movie.

This is not the first time he has cried either, I know there have been others... Oh, he cried during "Ice Age", when the the sabertooth dies. (supposedly) I can't remember when else off the top of my head

JediFonger
07-21-2004, 01:55 AM
yeah em, the closest you'll find is probably the Landmark Embassy in Waltham, MA:

http://www.boston.com/movies/display?display=movie&id=6960

the rest all are closer to the city. having said that i've been in the artsy one in Waltham, pretty OK. park's a real pain but it'll take you about 40min drive (not too bad).

emily655321
07-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Thanks, doesn't sound bad. Shoot, though, that's what I thought. Oh well; could always use a good excuse to go into Boston. My mom's b-day is this Sunday... wonder who's playing Passim's? Could make a day of it. Although travel will probably be a b**** because of the convention...

Yes, I'm rambling. Try and stop me. ;)

subterranean
07-21-2004, 07:52 PM
I bought "Lost in Translation" the other day, ..ok the story is interesting, but i dont know how sophia coppola could win a golden globe for this movie.

Sancho
07-21-2004, 08:29 PM
I enjoyed "Lost in Translation." For what it's worth, I really enjoyed it. What struck me about that movie was all of the little communication problems and connections: trans-culture, trans-gender, trans-generational as opposed to intra-marraige, intra-generational etc... I don't know. I don't go to the movies often, but that one spoke to me. --Of course, my wife was snoring away half way through it. Ha! I don't think Sophia could've made that movie without Bill Murray.

Had to go rent "On The Waterfront" the other day out of respect for Marlon Brando. I'd give it a 10. (and I'm a member of a labor union, go figure)

subterranean
07-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Well I dont think Bill is that important either. Well perhaps it's because i already a little bit familiar with japanese culture...in general they hardly speak english and when they do sometimes it's bit hard to understand their english..
I suppose lost in translation is not only mean lost for litteral language (spoken words) but also lost in translating gestures, and behaviour or a person..

trismegistus
07-22-2004, 10:23 AM
I bought "Lost in Translation" the other day, ..ok the story is interesting, but i dont know how sophia coppola could win a golden globe for this movie.
Agreed. Good, strong first effort but certainly not worthy of a major award.

Saw In America last night. Beautifully written, nicely crafted. Call it an 8.

nome1486
07-23-2004, 03:05 AM
Well, this doesn't really follow from the last post, but I've never seen Lost in Translation, and this is the last movie I saw: Pieces of April

It's a pretty good, bittersweet movie about a daughter trying to reconcile with her family. Some of the scenes are just so sad because the mother and daughter have each hurt the other deeply, and they don't know if they can forgive each other. The music is also beautiful, and there is some good humor in it. 7/10

ravana
07-23-2004, 10:42 AM
I guess "In America" means "Once upon time in America". My brother would certainly call it 10. I won't because he watched it so much that I hated this film and R.De Niro as well. Honestly now I can't see movies where he plays.

verybaddmom
07-23-2004, 10:44 AM
the only movie i have seen lately is "the Mask" with jim carey. it was a jim carey movie, what more can i say?
what i was wondering though, is the butterfly effect? has anyone seen it? or the secret window? they are both out for rentals now and i was wondering if either of them were worth renting....

emily655321
07-23-2004, 12:00 PM
I guess "In America" means "Once upon time in America". My brother would certainly call it 10. I won't because he watched it so much that I hated this film and R.De Niro as well. Honestly now I can't see movies where he plays.
I've also never seen "Once upon time in America," but I wouldn't want to either. Actually, though, "In America" is a different movie, about a family who moves from Ireland to New York I believe. I haven't seen it but I'll probably rent it sometime, when life gets particularly boring.

I'm with Sancho on "Lost in Translation." I guess it's a love it or hate it type of deal, but I was in love. I'd give it 9 out of 10, if only because of the mics being in some of the shots. It was supposed to be artsy, I think, to get the shot they wanted but also capture the actors' voices in the moment, but ultimately it was just super duper distracting. However, the rest of it I was crazy for. I especially loved that the characters behaved like real people; for instance, there was strong attraction between Murray's character and what's-her-name, but there was no question that it just wasn't right for them to hook up, and they didn't, even though there were plenty of opportunities. I don't know, it just touched me; you don't usually see adults behaving like responsible adults in movies. For weeks after I saw "Translation" I went running around telling everyone, "You have to go see this!"

JediFonger
07-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Scarlett Johansson, she was born in '84, can you believe she is ONLY 19? she'll be 20 in november!!! WOW!!!! =). she's soooooOOOOooo hot. i've been trying to see all movie she's been in =). girl with pearl earring was pretty good and HOT too =). she's so pretty!!!! ROAR! :banana: :brow:

Koa
07-23-2004, 01:25 PM
what i was wondering though, is the butterfly effect? has anyone seen it? or the secret window? they are both out for rentals now and i was wondering if either of them were worth renting....

I've seen Secret Window and I think it's not a bad film to rent, but don't expect it to be super really... It's good as entertainment, in the sense that it does keep you interested and that's one of the points of movies: passing some time... But it's not the kind of film to get excited about, nothing too deep or specatcular. In many details it reminded me of Shining...
Oh, about rating, I'd give maybe 7...

I want to see Lost In Translation...

nome1486
07-23-2004, 01:27 PM
I still haven't seen Lost in Translation yet, I'll get around to it eventually. I did see In America, but that was in December, so it's been a while. It was a sweet movie, but I didn't think it was extraordinary.

As for Secret Window, I thought it was great, but whether you would like it or not depends on whether you like suspense films as opposed to horror. It's one of those films that has a creepy atmosphere and slowly leads up to its conclusion, leaving you on the edge of your seat instead of being in your face with blood and gore and action. I loved it...

emily655321
07-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Scarlett Johansson, she was born in '84, can you believe she is ONLY 19? she'll be 20 in november!!! WOW!!!! =). she's soooooOOOOooo hot. i've been trying to see all movie she's been in =). girl with pearl earring was pretty good and HOT too =). she's so pretty!!!! ROAR! :banana: :brow:
Hm, you're so ambiguous, JF... it's hard to tell, but... I get the vague impression you... like Johansson? Then again, I could be wrong... ;)

P.S. I can't offer an opinion on her hotness, but I was impressed with her acting style. I'd imagine Murray is good at putting anyone at their ease, though.

den
07-24-2004, 08:54 AM
I enjoyed `Lost' too.... and I laugh because I think the messages were `lost' on a lot of people too. :lol: They just didn't `get' it.

It was very absurd, like, the juxtaposition of Murray laying back in the tub, whilst his cell phone rang and he had yet another dreary one-sided conversation with his wife.

The scene where he listlessly opens the Fed-ex box with carpet samples his wife sends him, and they tumble onto the floor and he just leaves them there, I mean c'mon! What a bunch of spiritually dead people!

The frooty photgrapher shooting him while the translator tries to keep up, it's hilarious! Look at how much can happen in someone's life and perception with little to no communication going on.

The nightclub scenes, the `escapism' going on, people trying to find meaning that way and it all seems so hollow and depraved. Coppola did stellar work with the dialogue and filming, I'm glad it was nominated for so much, there's hope still that the visual medium of film can still cause you to think and see the not-so obvious in our lives. It was subtle and sardonic, well worth the $20CDN for the DVD ! Because everytime I watch it I see something different.

I enjoyed "Lost in Translation." For what it's worth, I really enjoyed it. What struck me about that movie was all of the little communication problems and connections: trans-culture, trans-gender, trans-generational as opposed to intra-marraige, intra-generational etc... I don't know. I don't go to the movies often, but that one spoke to me. --Of course, my wife was snoring away half way through it. Ha! I don't think Sophia could've made that movie without Bill Murray.

Had to go rent "On The Waterfront" the other day out of respect for Marlon Brando. I'd give it a 10. (and I'm a member of a labor union, go figure)

den
07-24-2004, 09:07 AM
The only movie theatre I go to is a small repertory cinema, where they show mostly independent and foreign films. (but then I have digital cable so there are a lot of good movies available on that)

`Rabbit Proof Fence' was the last I saw, it's based on a true story of three aboriginal (Australian) cousins who were half-caste children (born to aboriginal mothers and white men who had probably raped the women) Government policy in 1931, was to take them from their mothers to keep the race `clean' by controlling and taking training them to be indentured servants to white people so they couldn't `breed'. It's an amazing historical tale based on true events and cool adventure story too.

crisaor
07-24-2004, 01:02 PM
Agreed. Good, strong first effort but certainly not worthy of a major award.
I agree about LiT, it was okay, but way overrated. However, I believe that it wasn't her first movie. She directed the Suicide Virgins before this one, if I'm not mistaken.

Scarlett Johansson, she was born in '84, can you believe she is ONLY 19? she'll be 20 in november!!! WOW!!!! =). she's soooooOOOOooo hot. i've been trying to see all movie she's been in =). girl with pearl earring was pretty good and HOT too =). she's so pretty!!!! ROAR!
Agreed 100% :thumbs_up . By far, the movie's best scene is the first one. :D :D

Kiwi Shelf
07-25-2004, 12:45 AM
I saw Spiderman 2 tonight. It was not the worst movie I have ever seen, but it wasn't the best either. I think it may partly be because I haven't seen the entire first one yet. I saw at a drive in theatre, though, so that was really cool. Especially since with my work schedule this is the first time I could go in the 2 summers it has been open....

Koa
07-25-2004, 09:37 AM
I tried to watch Amélie in original language, it seemed ok but I was understanding like 5% of the dialogues...so I got bored and rented a translated version :D
It's a film I've always heard very good or very bad of, no average comments...I thought I was going to be one of thos that wouldnt liked it but... I LOVED IT!!! I know I tend to identify way too much with characters, and this time again... She's a dreamer, she fell in love with the guy only out of a detail that made her feel he was like her... but then she's scared... Oh I'm so like her! (Only she's way more lucky than me at the end! But if my life was a film....). The atmosphere is so imaginative, too... so many nice little things, even funny ones... Really lovely!!!
My rating is: 9!!! :) :nod:

emily655321
07-25-2004, 02:48 PM
`Rabbit Proof Fence' was the last I saw, it's based on a true story of three aboriginal (Australian) cousins who were half-caste children (born to aboriginal mothers and white men who had probably raped the women) Government policy in 1931, was to take them from their mothers to keep the race `clean' by controlling and taking training them to be indentured servants to white people so they couldn't `breed'. It's an amazing historical tale based on true events and cool adventure story too.

Oh, I saw that! With Kenneth Brannagh? That was an all right movie. So, so sad.

subterranean
07-25-2004, 08:44 PM
I agree about LiT, it was okay, but way overrated. However, I believe that it wasn't her first movie. She directed the Suicide Virgins before this one, if I'm not mistaken.

True...and somehow i prefer that one..

and I love Amelie...one of my fav all time movies now..she's so interesting

i saw half "All the President's Men" with Redford and Hoffman, it surprised me that the supporting actor won an oscar for this movie but not the leading ones..

den
07-25-2004, 09:51 PM
Yes! but the ending was great! :D

Oh, I saw that! With Kenneth Brannagh? That was an all right movie. So, so sad.

nome1486
07-25-2004, 09:56 PM
I love the music in Amelie, and how everything was so colorful.

I just saw Erin Brockovich last night, with Julia Roberts and Albert Finney. It's based on a true story of a single mom who started working for a small law firm and discovered that a gas and electric company had been (knowingly) poisoning the water of a small town for years, making hundreds of people sick. I didn't think I would enjoy it, but it was actually really interesting and even funny at some parts. And I love Albert Finney! It wasn't until last night that I remembered he played Oliver Warbucks in Annie (and did a great job); I didn't recognize him when I saw Big Fish, which I loved. :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Kiwi Shelf
07-26-2004, 06:25 AM
I saw the Japanese anime "Escaflowne: Girl in Gaea" last night. My boyfriend is right into this stuff, while me I didn't know much about it until I met the guy. Now I have this new love for it. This movie was actually pretty good, but a very uncomforable seating arrangement made it hard to concentrate on the movie... All in all I still give it an 8.

earth
07-26-2004, 06:34 AM
Recently I've seen 2 movies I absolutely loved:

1. The Portrait of Dorian Gray (1945) - This movie gave me a love of horror films again. The absolute suspense + terror that can come from simplicity. The depth and scope of film you can create from simple B+W. This movie ranks right up there with the original "Night of the Living Dead" with me for beautiful horror/suspense movies.

2. Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - As a man who feels less and less of himself every day because he is white, I couldn't help but feel drawn into the character of Lawrence. He is the epitome of a self-hating man. Plus it's such a beautiful take on the historical colonization of the ME.

Isagel
07-26-2004, 07:49 AM
This saturday I was alone in my cottage watching Apocalypse now -redux.
That was a bad idea.
The movie was great.
My mood was not. It was such a horryfing movie. I could not sleep, and evrytime some floorboard went "creek" I was startled. Usually I do not like movies that long - I just can´t keep still, but this captivated me. The slow pace made the descent towards insanity almost hypnotic. The whole world turned more and more surreal.
So, in the night I called afriend and we had a long discussion whether the characters actually where turning insane or if they just finally managed to see the insanety of the war. We finally agreed that ther isn´t any either/or relationship between the two -"in an insane world only the mad are sane". I have never seen the shorter version of Apocalypse now, anyone knows what the biggest difference is? Except for it being 40 minutes shorter?

Koa
07-26-2004, 10:31 AM
I dont know which version of Apocalypse Now I saw, but it is a disturbing film... and weird... But after seeing it (the last part actually) I finally understood Heart Of Darkness - Kurtz goes insane cos in the heart of Africa (or of Vietnam and war in the film) lets himself go 'native', ignores the limits that civilisation imposed and just acts brutally... Or something like that.

crisaor
07-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Last movie I saw was Fahrenheit 9/11. Loved it. As a movie is great, and as a documentary, it's even better. However, I think I liked Bowling a bit more. Michael does not show up much in this one, maybe to try to keep as serious as possible the film, but that took away much of the charm of his person and the hilaric masterpieces of his thoughts. I know it's a record of ticket sales, but I don't see it changing much the political environment. I knew pretty much everything the movie tells when I saw it, but it still seems pretty conclusive to me. I mean, if after a terrorist attack our president read a childs's book for SEVEN minutes, he'd definitely get kicked out, before or after the lections. In short, good movie. Very recommendable. I give it eight Crisaors out of ten. :thumbs_up

verybaddmom
07-26-2004, 06:54 PM
oh i am so glad to hear that Crisaor; i have been just dying to see it, but havent had a chance. i think i will definitely make room in my schedule and budget to go.....

subterranean
07-26-2004, 07:35 PM
I love the music in Amelie, and how everything was so colorful.

YEa I love the colors too..love amelie's place alot..:D :D with the colors and stuffs...

Ouw i dont know that they made a movie version of Dorian Gay..i mean Gray. I havent seen Farenheit ..not on in theather yet in my country :(

nome1486
07-27-2004, 12:04 AM
I was looking at some of the older posts on here, and noticed a few comments on My Big Fat Greek Wedding, which made me think of Nia Vardalos' latest movie, Connie and Carla. I saw it twice, once on the opening weekend and once a week later, and then I think it actually left theaters by the next weekend!...but I loved it, it made me laugh so hard at some parts that I cried and also made me cry for real at other parts. I've read a lot of negative comments about how it was a rip-off of Some Like it Hot and other recycled Hollywood ideas, but I thought it was a unique twist on all of them put together: two wannabe lounge singers (is that the right term?), Nia Vardalos and Toni Collette, witness a mob hit and hide out in Los Angeles as drag queens. Some people also said the humor was flat, but like I said, my belly was aching by the end. And David Duchovny is hot.

Kiwi Shelf
07-27-2004, 06:16 AM
David Duchovny is hot. :) I look forward to seeing that movie when it hits videos because it never came to the theatre where I live...

Koa
07-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Oh the Greek Wedding film is nice (even if it's sooo un-realistic! Why should a perfect man notice an ugly girl?).

David Duchovny is hot indeed.

And I hope I'll get to see Fahrenheit next week in England, cos it will be out here at the end of August...

JediFonger
07-27-2004, 04:31 PM
while i liked it i did not think it was an effective drama. it all seemed VERY forced. i can't specifically list what it is that is bothering me but when MJ sees PP at the end of the 2nd movie you are SUPPOSED to feel emotionally overwhelmed to the point of crying... but i did not feel that. a little tingle maybe but not like return of the king when sam carried frodo. know what i mean? it's kind of a 'pseudo-emotion' that spiderman (both movies) plays on. same with the first one when PP was hunched over Uncle Ben, i WANTED to cry but couldn't... it was simply not moving enough. this has happened with sam's other movies as well, like a simple plan, etc.

Spiderman2.

if you watch it the first time, i hope you did it on a BIG screen. i saw it on the small screen but i always wanted to go to a BIG screen viewing, like on wang center or somn. anyway, you HAVE to watch it a second time. i know it's a long movie but i don't think you truly get this movie until you see it at least twice. the first time it is quite an overwhelming movie, the scope, the music, the epic-ness... but the 2nd time you start seeing how small and personal lawrence is. you start seeing that the big panning landscapes actually are a symbol of lawrence's own big-heart. it is the outward expression of his internal self. it was VERY beautifully acted by the entire troupe.

2. Lawrence of Arabia (1962) -.

yeah sucide virgin is a much more precise and concise work. it definitely begins, strides and ends. but LIT simply loses itself in translation... erm... ok.

o c'mon em, i thought girls were supposed to know who is 'hot'? i mean guys can't tell which guys are hot (unless of course... we start being politically correct or incorrect).

P.S. I can't offer an opinion on her hotness,

Kiwi Shelf
07-27-2004, 04:37 PM
if you watch it the first time, i hope you did it on a BIG screen. i saw it on the small screen but i always wanted to go to a BIG screen viewing, like on wang center or somn. anyway, you HAVE to watch it a second time. i know it's a long movie but i don't think you truly get this movie until you see it at least twice. the first time it is quite an overwhelming movie, the scope, the music, the epic-ness... but the 2nd time you start seeing how small and personal lawrence is. you start seeing that the big panning landscapes actually are a symbol of lawrence's own big-heart. it is the outward expression of his internal self. it was VERY beautifully acted by the entire troupe.

I will keep that in mind, the first time I saw it was on the big screen, though, it was at the drive in. If the chance comes up I can see it a second time, I will. :)

subterranean
07-27-2004, 07:52 PM
yeah sucide virgin is a much more precise and concise work. it definitely begins, strides and ends. but LIT simply loses itself in translation... erm... ok..

u mean virgin suicide..?! i believe thats the title :)

I dont really see the moving parts in spiderman 2 either, i mean i almost laugh when i saw the scene where PP and MJ in the big web and PP was telling MJ why he couldnt be with her....perhaps the movies isnt suppose to have touchy sides anyway..

anyone want to comment about American Beauty? I've watched this movie like hundreds of time...

JediFonger
07-27-2004, 08:31 PM
sorry yesh virgin suicide.

i think the premise of spiderman does not necessitate of dramatic scenes. just give us plenty of action! even the comics themselves don't have LOTS and LOTS of exposition and character moments... after all he IS a spider! and they ain't really social as far as i can remember watching PBS.

regarding american beauty, if you really dig that movie you must watch six feet under. alan ball is writer of american beauty and creator of six feet under. 6' under is like american beauty THE SHOW but so much better!!! start with season 1, it's like a soap. you will pick the show up quickly. as of right now it's on season4 on hbo. even people as eccentrically neurotic as us can get shows like this.

Kiwi Shelf
07-27-2004, 08:58 PM
anyone want to comment about American Beauty? I've watched this movie like hundreds of time...

This movie annoys me, it was my boyfriends favourite when we first started to date, so I watched it with him. I just don't get it, and does it ever frusturate me! Like the scene with the bag? I am interested if other people liked it.

hye young
07-28-2004, 01:57 AM
They play many great movies on TV every Saturday at 14.00. I can watch old movies if I stick to it. Last Saturday 'Breakfast At Tiffany's' was on only it was almost at the end. I fixed on it and once again the 'engraving scene at Tiffany' and 'throwing away the Cat scene' touched my heart. Audrey Hepburn is epitome of fashion and style, timeless. I really really loved it. :)

amuse
07-28-2004, 02:00 AM
she is Beautiful.

i'm with you here, Kiwi Shelf. last summer i saw, and didn't get the movie, and my housemate said "not to be rude, but it was the bag scene."
she thought i was mentally deficient not to have caught on to that, oohed and ahhed; well frankly i thought it was meaningless, obvious, and showy.
it was okay, but it didn't capture me.

Sancho
07-28-2004, 10:06 AM
I just read this in Tom Wolfe’s book Hooking Up. I laughed. Thought it may be instructive after ‘Em’s comment on Lost in Translation.

I especially loved that the characters behaved like real people; for instance, there was strong attraction between Murray's character and what's-her-name, but there was no question that it just wasn't right for them to hook up, and they didn't, even though there were plenty of opportunities.

' “Hooking up” was a term known in the year 2000 to almost every American child over the age of nine, but to only a relatively small percentage of their parents, who, even if they heard it, thought it was being used in the old sense of “meeting” someone. Among the children, hooking up was always sexual experience, but the nature and extent of what they did could vary widely. Back in the twentieth century, American girls had used baseball terminology. “First base” referred to embracing and kissing; “second base” referred to groping and fondling and deep, or “French,” kissing, commonly known as “heavy petting”; “third base” referred to fellatio, usually known in polite conversation by the ambiguous term “oral sex”; and “home plate” meant conception-mode intercourse, known familiarly as “going all the way.” In the year 2000, in an era of hooking up, “first base” meant deep kissing (“tonsil hockey”), groping and fondling; “second base” meant oral sex; “third base” meant going all the way; and “home plate” meant learning each other’s names.'

JediFonger
07-28-2004, 06:45 PM
sancho, i believe that we are even further along than that. 1st base means intercourse/oral/etc. 2nd base means bondage. 3rd base means bondage and other fetishes combo (like foot or... other strange things). home base means 2+ partners doing multiple sexual gratifications, like having sex with someone's ears or somn... :brow:

and beyond that, bottom of the 9th inning would be too illegal to mention on this board. :D

sex has lost much of its eroticism due to the highly publicized nature of the ins and outs of sexual options. so much for wolfe's theory, after all look at how old he is... and how old we are...

subterranean
07-28-2004, 07:54 PM
This movie annoys me, it was my boyfriends favourite when we first started to date, so I watched it with him. I just don't get it, and does it ever frusturate me! Like the scene with the bag? I am interested if other people liked it.

how come,...?!
everytime i saw it feels like i just saw the movie for the 1st time. it always fascinate me ...i love the dining table scene...the bedroom scene..and when lester caught his wife and the real estate king at mr. smiley's. many interesting emotional expressions showed in the movie!

and my other fav movie is People vs Larry Flint ....love woody in this movie

nome1486
07-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Audrey Hepburn is epitome of fashion and style, timeless. I really really loved it. :)

I agree, I love Audrey Hepburn. The cat scene in Breakfast at Tiffany's is very touching, as is the song Moon River, but I really don't like the movie itself as much as some of her other movies. My absolute favorite is Roman Holiday, her first role, and then I also loved Charade and Wait Until Dark. But Roman Holiday...man, it doesn't get any better than that. And Gregory Peck is the perfect co-star for her, I think.

Kiwi Shelf
07-28-2004, 11:31 PM
how come,...?!
everytime i saw it feels like i just saw the movie for the 1st time. it always fascinate me ...i love the dining table scene...the bedroom scene..and when lester caught his wife and the real estate king at mr. smiley's. many interesting emotional expressions showed in the movie!

I really don't know what my gripe with this movie is, I like all the other movies that my boyfriend is a fan of. "Donnie Darko" is his other fav at the moment, and that is a great movie. I just can't get into "American Beauty," I watch it and I see what you are suppose to see, but it just does not work any form of magic with me...

ravana
07-29-2004, 02:52 AM
I agree, I love Audrey Hepburn. The cat scene in Breakfast at Tiffany's is very touching, as is the song Moon River, but I really don't like the movie itself as much as some of her other movies. My absolute favorite is Roman Holiday, her first role, and then I also loved Charade and Wait Until Dark. But Roman Holiday...man, it doesn't get any better than that. And Gregory Peck is the perfect co-star for her, I think.

:thumbs_up
I'm with you. I love her too. She's the most beautifull actress. I like "Roman Holiday" , "How To Steal Million".

Sancho
07-29-2004, 03:08 PM
Jedi - yikes, and yep Tom Wolfe is getting on up there. What was considered kinky to one generation, many times, becomes common place to the next generation. I remember watching an interview between Johnny Carson and Paul Newman. Newman had just turned 60 and Johnny asked him what it was like. Newman responded, "It's wonderful, for the first time in my life I can sit down and have real a conversation with a woman without thinking about sex the whole time."

Back on subject: Just watched "The Big Lebowski" again. Gotta be one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. Don't think that I've ever seen a Coen brothers movie that I disliked.

nome1486
07-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about How to Steal a Million. That's a really fun story. Peter O'Toole defines "dreamy blue eyes" (sorry, couldn't resist one more comment on the male star's looks!)

My favorite Coen brothers movies are The Hudsucker Proxy and O Brother, Where Art Thou? I also liked Raising Arizona, but the other two movies of theirs I've seen, Fargo and The Ladykillers, were a little too dark for me. But that's just me, I think as movies they were pretty well-done.

subterranean
07-29-2004, 08:10 PM
i just heard that any one who likes farenheit 9/11 must also like control room

faith
07-31-2004, 06:49 AM
The last movie I saw was High Fidelity with John Cusack in it. Saw it on dvd at home. I was really entustiastic cos I had just read the book by Nick Hornby it is based on. Honest, I was a little dissapointed. It was funny (like the book) but it didnt leave an as good feeling to me as the book did. And why do they have to move all the "hornby-movies" from London to Chicago? Cant they afford filming in LOndon, or doest Chicago sell better?

crisaor
07-31-2004, 03:15 PM
Back on subject: Just watched "The Big Lebowski" again. Gotta be one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. Don't think that I've ever seen a Coen brothers movie that I disliked.
Dude: It's like what Lenin said...
Donny: I am the walrus!
What a funny movie...

Sancho
07-31-2004, 03:52 PM
Heh heh

One of Jackie Treehorn’s Goons: “Where’s the money Lebowski?”
<Dunks The Dude’s head in the toilet>
Dude: “Gurgle, gurgle, gurgle”
Goon: “Where’s the money Lebowski?”
<Dunks The Dude’s head in the toilet again>
Goon: “Where’s the ‘effing’ money Lebowski?”
Dude: “Let me have another look, I’m sure it’s down there somewhere.”

seeker
07-31-2004, 05:19 PM
I just saw the Bourne Supremacy, and I loved it, great movie!

I loved the first one, though I think it was a little bit better than the second. If I am not wronge I beleive that they are making a third movie based on the 3 books in the series (which I am now reading).

Oh, and I love the Anime movies too! I cant stand most of the series' they are waaay to drawn out to be intersting, but the movies (especially anything by Miyazaki, the guy who did Princes Mononoke (mo-no-no-key) and Spirited Away)

My fave anime movies are
Princes Mononoke
Spirited Away
The Animatrix
Grave of the Fireflies
And any Ninja Scroll movie
oh i almost forgot to add the new version of Metropolis (the anime movei, not the old movie with real people)
The only anime seriese I will watch is the Battle Angel Alita sereis

On the nija note, I also loved botht he Kill Bill movies, together I give them a 9, and not a 10 out of general corniness (but the goriness makes up for it, its hilarious!)

Dunpeal
07-31-2004, 07:04 PM
seeker, have you seen Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust??
or Cowboy Bebop?

Rurouni Kenshin vol. 1 and Naruto are a good read.

the Rurouni Kenshin OVA (Tsuioko Hen) where we see Kenshin meet Tomoe and get his cross scar is excellent... bloodier than the series, hehe.

Kiwi Shelf
07-31-2004, 09:20 PM
My fave anime movies are
Princes Mononoke
Spirited Away
The Animatrix
Grave of the Fireflies
oh i almost forgot to add the new version of Metropolis (the anime movei, not the old movie with real people)

Have you ever seen Escaflowne or Narotu (sp?)?

Dunpeal
08-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Haven't seen Naruto but I've read volumes 1 and 2
and have not seen Escaflowne either. I just know that's it a people-piloting- big-robots show.. right??

and I believe Hayao Miyazaki's next project is Howl's Moving Castle

Kiwi Shelf
08-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Naruto is my boyfriends favorite anime show.
Escaflowne, how to describe. There are ships in it, but they don't come until later. All I can say is watch it, I don't want to give too much away.
There's Vampire Hunter D, too. I have seen the second one, Bloodlust. It actually wasn't that bad, despite its title. I watched that like 2 weeks ago

JediFonger
08-01-2004, 11:35 PM
hi seeker,

have you read robert ludlum's bourne trilogy? imho the bourne movies are terrible for putting ludlum's title as the movie's name. it bears little resemblance to the books. if yuo know the book the primary villain is carlos the jackal, he is but not even mentioned at all in the movies. what a terrible crime. the jackal is what makes bourne trilogy work. i hope they don't make 'bourne ultimatum'. that'd be an awful idea since it was pretty OK book anyway.

you may or may not have seen:
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/howl/relmedia.html

this is the trailer for Howl's Moving Castle. yeah i know it's Japanese but... you know. it's good stuff as usual. reminds me of Spirited Away but personally i wish he did more of Nausicaa. check out his imdb.com ALL his works are great. a lot of his work is already out on DVD but more will come in springtime. they're gonna do a cross-promo of totorro, nausicaa and porco rosso DVD with howl's moving castle.

kill bill the entire movie (yesh both volumes) is quentin's magnum opus. i just wished that he had put in LFB (lara flynn boyle) in it just as the script dictated.
-JF

I just saw the Bourne Supremacy, and I loved it, great movie!

I loved the first one, though I think it was a little bit better than the second. If I am not wronge I beleive that they are making a third movie based on the 3 books in the series (which I am now reading).

Oh, and I love the Anime movies too! I cant stand most of the series' they are waaay to drawn out to be intersting, but the movies (especially anything by Miyazaki, the guy who did Princes Mononoke (mo-no-no-key) and Spirited Away)

My fave anime movies are
Princes Mononoke
Spirited Away
The Animatrix
Grave of the Fireflies

On the nija note, I also loved botht he Kill Bill movies, together I give them a 9, and not a 10 out of general corniness (but the goriness makes up for it, its hilarious!)

crisaor
08-02-2004, 04:18 PM
One of Jackie Treehorn’s Goons: “Where’s the money Lebowski?”
Goon: “Where’s the ‘effing’ money Lebowski?”
Dude: “Let me have another look, I’m sure it’s down there somewhere.”
Hilarious. :lol: After that, I can't miss the oportunity to post another one:

[After showing him a clip from the porn movie starring Bunny]
Maude Lebowski: You can imagine where it goes from here.
The Dude: He fixes the cable?

subterranean
08-03-2004, 07:46 PM
I saw this movie MASH, it's anti war movie about these silly surgeons. somehow it reminded me of CATCH 22. i gave it an 8

Kiwi Shelf
08-03-2004, 10:12 PM
I saw this movie MASH, it's anti war movie about these silly surgeons. somehow it reminded me of CATCH 22. i gave it an 8

Umm... is that the movie to the tv show from like 70's or 80's?

seeker
08-05-2004, 05:18 PM
seeker, have you seen Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust??
or Cowboy Bebop?

I ahve seen the show of Beebop on Cartoon Network, I liked it , but I didnt like the manga, it dragged too long.

I am planning on renting Vampire Hunter D, Evangllion-Neon Genesis, Ghost in a Shell, Akira, and Naruto sometime soon, I just ahve to find the time... maybie if I spent less time online ... hm

nah
:banana:

Oh, has anyone seen the Kite seriese ANime, or is it a movie? I have seen clips of it and it looks right up my alley, but I cant find it anywhere!

JediFonger
08-05-2004, 07:11 PM
yeah that's the thing about lots of manga/anime. some are good but some are so so. now if you REALLY want to watch anime checkout miyazaki's works.... there's truly nothing like it.

subterranean
08-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Umm... is that the movie to the tv show from like 70's or 80's?
oh..have no idea about this :)

Cheers

Kiwi Shelf
08-05-2004, 08:25 PM
Oh, MASH was a tv show, it was really good.

There is this anime and it it has the strangest name, two words. Crap, I need to ask someone. I will get back to you, it slipped my mind.

Edit: Okay, the name is Fooly Cooly

subterranean
08-08-2004, 08:14 PM
last night i saw a movie called "Witness"..it 's about an Amish boy who witnessed a crime then of course he was chased and targeted to be killed. I heard that this movie was nominated for 9 Oscars (i forgot what year), but won 2 only (one of them for best scenario)...well i fell asleep and didnt see the end..

but i got interested to learn more about the Amish lifetyle

Kiwi Shelf
08-08-2004, 11:07 PM
I have been living the "rental" life lately, and me and some friends rented "50 First Dates", "13 Going on 30", and "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton."

50 First Dates was shockingly really good considering I didn't want to see it when it was at theatres because it looked so strange. Now, I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

13 Going on 30 was alright, but did Jennifer Garner ever drive me nuts!

Win a Date with Tad Hamilton... well... don't laugh, but I liked it. Mainly because the guy from "That 70's Show" was in it, the one the plays Eric, and does he ever remind me of my boyfriend. And, my boyfriend was away and I missed him, so... it was good. :blush:

Dunpeal
08-09-2004, 02:04 AM
the first episode of Naruto is OK
i like the manga better (I don't know why the colors of Naruto remind me of Hellsing...)

Ghost in the Shell is okay but I need to watch it again since it's confusing.
I heard there's a series..
and also, there's a sequel to the movie.

and of course, Trigun rocks...

imthefoolonthehill
08-10-2004, 05:01 PM
American Beauty

I give it an 84 percent.

subterranean
08-12-2004, 08:45 PM
I alwasy give 90 for American Beauty, though I have watched it hundreds of time..

I wached Amelie again 2 days ago..but fel asleep this time
so the score decrease to 75

JediFonger
08-12-2004, 10:49 PM
if you liked american beauty you would love alan ball's other work, Six Feet Under on HBO.

subterranean
08-13-2004, 06:16 AM
Yea someone told me that erlier....however never saw that series...not even once..will try to next week

JediFonger
08-14-2004, 01:47 AM
well i suggest you start with season1. it's like a soap opera in that if you miss the begininng you will be VERY confused. season1&2 are out on DVD. s3 is not out yet.

nome1486
08-14-2004, 04:13 PM
On the subject of TV shows, does anyone else like the shows Monk or Arrested Development? They're the only two shows I'm watching steadily right now.

To catch up on movies, I'll just say briefly:
The Notebook: 7/10
Better than I thought it would be; some very sweet moments (especially in the part of the story that takes place in the present)
Next Stop Wonderland: 8/10
A slightly older (about ten years old) romantic comedy by Brad Anderson. Very funny in an understated sort of way, and one of those romances where the two romantic leads don't meet until the very end.
The Village: 9/10
I give it a nine because I'm still thinking about the lead characters two days after I saw the movie. I think it was beautifully shot and well-acted, at least by the main actors. I want to hear what other people think about it (not giving anything away, of course ;)).

JediFonger
08-14-2004, 11:07 PM
i shall rent the village but after seeing 6th sense, unbreakable and signs on opening night as well as renting all m's past works (stuard little, wide awake, i couldn't find praying with anger, hopefully one day he'll release it). i have become a skeptic to his abilities. i mean... his style fits 6th sense like a shoe but unbreakable was very puzzling, and so was signs. i found the latter 2 very poorly shot. i know you guys will praise him but i just hated his very long shots of characters just THINKING!!! well that's great for the actor and perhaps good for live performance but this is not just about the actor and this ain't live, this is CINEMA! it's supposed to MEAN something and if you don't want it to mean much then PLEASE make it somewhat entertaining! it's like spiderman2, may not mean much but it sure was very nice mind's eye candy! the problem with m is that he's become too full himself. it is as if every single word he has written is scripture and the actors are suppose to spill his dialogue and then the audience is suppose to think it means something meaningful and subtlety will work its magic and the slow and patient will learn the truth behind the veil of a story but in the end it's all one big magic OZ pulled by the wickedy bad wizard named m night. no wonder he stayed with his name night, it's TOO DARK! for good luck he should rename himself DAY! he shuold do more stuart little, a bit less wide awake (it was too melodramatic) and a bit more intention and meaning.

nome1486
08-14-2004, 11:24 PM
I would like to see Signs, but since I haven't seen that or Unbreakable I sadly can't offer any comparison of those films to The Village. Although I did enter the movie in the mindset of wondering what every little insignificant line of dialogue was supposed to mean, I did end up enjoying the movie just for the storyline's sake, and would like to watch it again just for that. But you're right about his need for variety; even though his reputation alone might be able to draw crowds, it sets up the wrong expectations in the minds of the audience. Besides that, seeing basically the same preview for each of his new movies does get tiresome. And maybe eventually, when people stop expecting another Sixth Sense, he'll be able to surprise us with another one.

subterranean
08-16-2004, 05:33 AM
i saw the killing fields yesterday. it was my second time. was a great anti-war movie!!!!
the movie won 3 oscars...
anyone ever see this movie?
i gave it 8.5

Isagel
08-16-2004, 07:37 AM
Yesterday I saw Arthur.
That was a total waste of two hours of my life.

But I guess that if you like action movies with large battle scenes and men shouting FREEDOM while raising swords towards the sky, you might like this movie.

(oh - I want to see the village. It hasn´t come to Sweden yet. But I saw the trailer and it looks great.)

poehee99
08-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Hi isagel, I saw arthur last week and i was disappointed as well. I had been eagerly awaiting the premiere of the film because finally someone had taken the trouble to make an historical movie about this and i couldn't wait to see it, but what a disappointment. after Troy this is the second time an historical film is no good. Let's hope Alexander will be better

papayahed
08-16-2004, 03:30 PM
:blush: oh my word I am definatly showing my age, when I read that you saw Arthur and it was bad, I was thinking to myself "The one with Liza Minelli and Dudley Moore?" that pretty good" then when I read further I realized not THAT Arthur. DOH!

poehee99
08-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Sorry Papayahed, i was actually talking about the one that is in the cinemas now (at least in europe) i haven't seen the version with liza minelli and dudley moore but if you say that is a good one perhaps i should rent that one then. By the way is anyone here from a country where the film Alexander is already in the cinemas and if so what did you think about it?

Edzabeen
08-17-2004, 05:40 AM
Last on I saw was Last Tango in Paris. Unfortunately i had to watch it on or with (not being sure about grammar) my PC. But otherwise it was excellent.

papayahed
08-17-2004, 08:43 AM
Poehee99 - Don't rent Arthur on my account, it's just ok - nothing great. Just your typical run of the mill early 80's comedy.

amuse
08-17-2004, 02:44 PM
i liked it when it came out.

subterranean
08-18-2004, 08:30 PM
I feel like making movies based on legends or epic heroes are now like a trend..with the booming of LOTR then Troy..when i saw the trailler of Author I didnt feel that interested..i haven't see it though...plan to see it this week

Koa
08-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Last night I saw a film called Serial Mom, about a woman who seems the perfect housewife but is infact mad and kills people that disturb the order, like annoying her family or not rewinding rented videotapes (doesn't she have a point there? ;););))...
My rating is 6, it's actually less crap than I thought it was, but it's quite silly cos it shows the family making a business of it, and they don't really get sad even when one of their best friends is killed... Ok I guess the film is trying to show how murders become a show, but still... Is this film famous? I tried to do some research on google cos it apparently was based on a true story and I wanted to know more about it, but I didn't find anything about the real story, just tons of reviews and quotes...

Oh, recently I saw 'The day after tomorrow', the one about dramatic weather changes...That was as crap as I expected, I'd say the perfect rating is 3.

I also saw that Fahrenheti 9/11 cos i was curious and I probably won't have time to see it when it's out in Italy in 10 days (btw I wonder if they've been so stupid to dub it, it will ruin it, subtitles would work better...anyway I don't think it's going to be a success here cos it's not being hyped at all). Well anyway, I dind't find it impressive... Most of the things seemed to be quite well known or expectable (I guess I was expecting some exciting revelation...), sometimes I didn't understand the link between the parts (I did miss some bits cos of the language, too) and I guess I didn't find it too interesting cos it was very American-based (well of course, but it didn't mention Italy in the countries that supported the stupid war...it only mentioned the obscure ones...or in some bits it seemed to expect a vaster knowledge of American affairs/politics/law than I have). I guess a rating would be 6... maybe more if I count the purpose... Btw, I didnt understand the end of it, nor did the English guy who saw it with me, because of the american accent. :eek:

Koa
08-19-2004, 11:27 AM
I would like to see Signs

I saw it...it was the biggest waste of time and money in my life... it's so childishly stupid... One of the worst films I've ever seen!
(hope I'm talking of the right film)

nome1486
08-19-2004, 02:48 PM
Finally got to see Signs after renting it, and I think I liked it even better than The Village. Not mainly as a suspense film...though there were some creepy moments...but because it was funny when I didn't expect it to be and a very emotional story. And great music! (same for The Village). If you're thinking of the movie with Mel Gibson that starts with him finding crop circles in his cornfield, that's the one.

poehee99
08-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Oh come on! The film is utter crap! it's a film where aliens come from thousands of miles away. they can find their way perfectly through thr universe , but when they're getting near the farm they have to make cropcircles to find their way. Furthermore you've got this terrible angry alien attacking everyone, but he isn't even capable of opening a regular door. (the part where they lock him up in the closet). furthermore their gas killes everyone except the little boy because he convieniently happens to have astma. and the end of the film is really terrible when they find out that those aliens can't stand water. So, you've got highly intellectual aliens who have come from thousands of miles away to come to a planet that consists for about 80 % out of water, when water is the only thing they can't stand. Good thinking guys!

nome1486
08-19-2004, 06:57 PM
The alien part of the story is definitely weird; I generally don't like stories about alien invasions, but part of the reason I like this movie is that it's not like a typical alien story. The aliens and their characteristics or motivations aren't really important to the story; the story's real focus is the family and the man who has lost his faith--which is one of the most important things in the world to him--and needs to regain it.

verybaddmom
08-19-2004, 08:11 PM
um....i just gotta say thanks poehee. i hadnt watched it yet. i was planning on it, but i might not now...
just in the future, if you are going to tell story line that will spoil it for those who havent seen it yet, a spoiler title would be really nice.
crap or not, i would have watched it. as i just bought it.

subterranean
08-19-2004, 08:12 PM
I watch The Manchurian Candidate..starring Denzel Washington and Merly Streep...it's about these soldiers who got brainwashed by this global company called Manchurian. One of the soldiers run for a vice president of the US and the Manchurians use him to smothen their bussiness once he's on top...
At first when i read the title i thought the Manchurian is really refer to the Manchurian people....quite interesting story and somehow it making me more convince that global companies are indeed played important roles behind many world events..

nome1486
08-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Did you really just buy it? Weird coincidence. Sorry to have started a threadline that spoiled it for you. But unless you were expecting something similar to Men in Black, I think it's still worth watching; I don't think the film's flaws were that major.

Is there really a country named Manchuria? :blush: I thought it was a country that was made-up in the original movie (for political correctness), and then they decided to change it to a corporation in the new version to modernize it. I haven't seen either one, though.

verybaddmom
08-19-2004, 08:45 PM
yeah i did....it was on clearance, and i hadnt seen it yet. so no big deal really.
i'll probably still watch it eventually. i havent been in a movie mode lately anyway. although i did watch "the hand that rocks the cradle" the other night on cable, when i couldnt fall asleep. that movie was twisted...ugh

subterranean
08-19-2004, 08:45 PM
ehm Nome..what are u talking about?

Cheers

verybaddmom
08-19-2004, 08:48 PM
oh sub, go up a few posts....sorry to have confused you.

nome1486
08-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Wow, you guys got three posts down while I was editing mine. I'm really slow. But I added a note for you sub, which you've probably seen by now.

subterranean
08-19-2004, 08:58 PM
well next time please use the quote function...

Cheers

poehee99
08-20-2004, 03:07 AM
um....i just gotta say thanks poehee. i hadnt watched it yet. i was planning on it, but i might not now...
just in the future, if you are going to tell story line that will spoil it for those who havent seen it yet, a spoiler title would be really nice.
crap or not, i would have watched it. as i just bought it.

Sorry verybaddmom, but the film has been out of cinema here for 3 or 4 years so i thought everyone would have seen it by now. next time i'll think before I type

subterranean
08-20-2004, 06:32 AM
well it's a hard thing to do for a movie which already released some years ago...

papayahed
08-20-2004, 08:47 AM
I just saw Forbidden Planet, for an old Sci-Fi movie it was pretty good. I'd give it a 7.

verybaddmom
08-20-2004, 12:44 PM
well it's a hard thing to do for a movie which already released some years ago...

i understand that sub, totally.
but we still use spoilers for books written in the 1800's. i was just having a bad day. and i apologize for my grumpiness to anyone it may have touched. ive had a bad week. sorry. :angel:

poehee99
08-20-2004, 01:40 PM
No need to apologize, i should have been more considerate. again sorry for that.

Pickles
08-20-2004, 03:53 PM
The last one I saw was Kill Bill II, I think I'd rather watch Forbidden Planet again.Leslie Nielsen cracks me up. I know he's playing it straight, but he still does it to me anyway.

Koa
08-20-2004, 04:08 PM
If you're thinking of the movie with Mel Gibson that starts with him finding crop circles in his cornfield, that's the one.

Yeah that's the one. I hated it...I found it was an incredibly stupid alien story, I dont remember all the details that poehee pointed out but overall I found it so irritatingly void...(sorry, tastes, I'll live with the fact that someone likes it...)

the story's real focus is the family and the man who has lost his faith--which is one of the most important things in the world to him--and needs to regain it.
I found that so simplicistic...quite corny... Uhm ok did I say I hated that film? ;););)

ajoe
08-21-2004, 01:11 AM
Shrek 2 (finally!)
I'm falling in love with the gingerbreadman.

amuse
08-21-2004, 01:14 AM
great choice!!! loved that movie.

JediFonger
08-21-2004, 07:50 AM
i have been going back into the 'classics' lately. although everyone else knows (i assume) D.W. Griffith for 'Birth of a Nation' and 'Intolerance', I have just finished watching all of his major works out on DVD and I have to say "Way Down East" with Lillian Gish is his best work with "Broken Blossom" coming in a close second.

baddad
08-21-2004, 09:38 PM
The Last Samurai. In my opinion Tom Cruise has little acting ability, never has, never will. But despite his appearance in this movie I felt myself identifying and mourning the truth of the theme that honour has little place in a secular society. Quite moving, fearfull truths, quite emotional responses from me. Maybe my sensitive side is just getting a little out of hand.............

Edzabeen
08-22-2004, 06:29 AM
I liked that movie although I'm not keen on movies that are just for entertaining people but some setences of it impressed in my memory like: "I say, Japan was made by a handful of brave men. Warriors, willing to give their lives for what seems to have become a forgotten word: honor" or at the end the emperor asks "Tell me how he died?" and Cruise answers "I'll tell you how he lived" :bawling: And I very much enjoyed the performance of Ken Watanabe in the role of Katsumoto.

poehee99
08-22-2004, 07:06 AM
I saw The last samurai yesterday. What a great movie but that 'll probably be my interest in history and in "honest" fights. fighting with honour and truly believing in something

JediFonger
08-22-2004, 05:58 PM
baddad, have you seen born on 4th july by oliver stone?

crisaor
08-22-2004, 07:08 PM
I saw The last samurai yesterday. What a great movie but that 'll probably be my interest in history and in "honest" fights. fighting with honour and truly believing in something
SPOILERS. I didn't like that one. Of course, the costumes and all that were astonishing, but the script lacked originality and coherence. A samurai movie in which the "samurai hero" doesn't die???? I struggled against Cruise's bad acting the whole movie just to see him get killed and he was the sole survivor of the entire army! :rage: Oh well, at least Watanabe did a very respectable performance on his role. Even so, I could still bear to watch it again in video or TV, just to see the swords and armors again.

garza33
08-22-2004, 07:32 PM
The last movie I saw was the first Star Wars movie in 1970-something. It was great. It was in colour and had sound and everything. I don't get out much.

subterranean
08-22-2004, 08:14 PM

I heard that this movie was "set" to win the oscar for Tom, but with the story and all that, the goal was just a dream...the cultural part might be interesting to see.

Finally saw Farenheit 9/11...big applause for Moore

Dunpeal
08-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Hey, any of you seen the movie Frailty??
(starring Bill Paxton and Matthew McConaughey)

there's something I don't understand... near the end of the movie, McConaughey mentioned something about the killer leaving notes in order to draw attention... I'm a bit confused about that.

I understood that "Fenton", who was telling his story to the FBI agent, is really Adam... and that he REALLY CAN see people's sins.

who was the killer? Fenton?? throughout the years, he killed people??

nome1486
08-24-2004, 01:07 PM
On the topic of Last Samurai...I tried to see that in theaters, but we arrived late, and after we bought tickets we found that there were no three seats together, so we saw Along Came Polly instead. I think I would have preferred The Last Samurai.

But as for movies I have seen: after watching While You Were Sleeping last night (I wish they would make more romantic comedies like that one), I just wanted to share two of the many good lines in that movie:

"Next time you talk to yourself, tell yourself you're single, and end the conversation!"
"You can't take my nose back!"

Has anyone else seen this movie?

Shea
08-24-2004, 01:17 PM
I'm joining this thread late, so sorry if it's already been mentioned, but I just saw Memento and really loved it. I usually tend to forget movies that have that much language in it, but the way they presented the story, backwards so that you can experience the main character's problem, really got my brain going. My husband kind of liked it, but he was really turned off by the DVD menu, you've got to figure out a puzzle sort of before you even watch the movie. He's very impatient.

baddad
08-24-2004, 10:39 PM
baddad, have you seen born on 4th july by oliver stone?

Uhh, no, but I try to avoid anything with Tom "I'm so cute' Cruise. But it wasn't easy giving up an Oliver Stone version of anything! Now Oliver Stone, well GOLLY, that guy is waaaaayyyyyyy out there!!!

trismegistus
08-25-2004, 11:55 AM
Hey, any of you seen the movie Frailty??
(starring Bill Paxton and Matthew McConaughey)
Good flick and I generally despise Paxton's work. Sorry to say that I can't recall the details of the ending - it's been more than a year. I'll have to watch it again.

Just caught Kurosawa's Throne of Blood. I give it a 6.5 - it had AK's usual visual brilliance, but I thought it needed to veer further from Shakespeare's story. It had the surface quality of Macbeth but lacked the depth. Ran was ten times better as an adapted WS play, IMO.

crisaor
08-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Just caught Kurosawa's Throne of Blood. I give it a 6.5 - it had AK's usual visual brilliance, but I thought it needed to veer further from Shakespeare's story. It had the surface quality of Macbeth but lacked the depth. Ran was ten times better as an adapted WS play, IMO.
I agree. It wasn't his best, clearly. But when adapting such a good story, most movies fail to achieve success in this kind of situations. Anyway, it's a pretty loose adaptation, as only the betrayal of the friend and the forest thing are depicted in the movie, no lady macbeth nor japanese macduff here. I liked it nonetheless. The rain was cleverly used IMO, the acting was decent, and the movie still has that Kurosawa's air to it that makes it enjoyable.

JediFonger
08-28-2004, 10:27 AM
crisaor,

in the original script the hero did die =). but tom being old tom that can't really happen, after all he's too powerful for that.

simon
08-28-2004, 01:18 PM
My husband kind of liked it, but he was really turned off by the DVD menu, you've got to figure out a puzzle sort of before you even watch the movie. He's very impatient.

Yup, there seems to be no pleasure until all the ads, and subliminal messages are flashed through. Ever think how much propoganda could be subconsiously exposed to your mind while trying to figure out how to work those things? Even in those big movie theaters now they put commercials before the actual movie. It's sick, and now it's starting to feel normal.

trismegistus
08-29-2004, 11:20 AM
I agree. It wasn't his best, clearly. But when adapting such a good story, most movies fail to achieve success in this kind of situations. Anyway, it's a pretty loose adaptation, as only the betrayal of the friend and the forest thing are depicted in the movie, no lady macbeth nor japanese macduff here.
We cannot possibly be talking about the same film. The Lady Asaji Washizu character is practically identical to Lady Macbeth, right down to the blood-stained hands that she cannot wipe clean. (I will say that I like AK's femme fatale better than WS's. The Lady Macbeth is wicked and monstrously ambitious, but AK turns her into something downright sinister :thumbs_up)

Saw Wild Strawberries last night. Beautiful film, classic Bergman. I give it a 7.

crisaor
08-29-2004, 05:44 PM
crisaor, in the original script the hero did die =). but tom being old tom that can't really happen, after all he's too powerful for that.
Ah. Well, they should've sticked with the original script. It was much better.

We cannot possibly be talking about the same film. The Lady Asaji Washizu character is practically identical to Lady Macbeth, right down to the blood-stained hands that she cannot wipe clean. (I will say that I like AK's femme fatale better than WS's. The Lady Macbeth is wicked and monstrously ambitious, but AK turns her into something downright sinister )Hmmm. I think we are, but I didn't recall a female counterpart in the movie. Disturbing. I must be getting senile after all...

ajoe
08-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Summer Snow.
Well, this is not exactly a movie, but a 11-episode Japanese Drama. It's so awesome, a nice break after all the 7th Heavens and other WB dramas. If you're not used to Asian dramas, you may get tired from all the crying scenes. There are a few minus points for the way each problem ends (waaay too abrupt), but other than that it made me a happy person, especially because nearly all of the characters are eye candies. :)

If you wanna give it a shot, go here: http://www.anime-theatre.com/jdrama/

Monica
08-30-2004, 04:18 AM
Apart from Farenheit 9/11 (I don't really want to comment on it because I don't want to sound political but it is sort of tragicomedy for me) I last saw The Terminal with Tom Hanks. It was OK but at times I thought I was going to fall asleep. But the idea itself is original. Recommendable :)

JediFonger
09-03-2004, 11:34 AM
i just recently caught nicholas nickleby on cable and WOW what a fantastic adaptation! i've never finished a Charles Dickens book (a bit of a bore) but i'll probably pickup NN after watching the movie. it was a absolutely brilliant piece of work! anyone else seen nicholas nickleby? it's out on DVD.

nome1486
09-05-2004, 01:12 AM
No, I'd really like to see it. Thanks for reminding me! The last movie I saw was one I really didn't want to see, and it lived up to my expectations--The Manchurian Candidate. Let's just leave it at that...

trismegistus
09-05-2004, 11:44 AM
No, I'd really like to see it. Thanks for reminding me! The last movie I saw was one I really didn't want to see, and it lived up to my expectations--The Manchurian Candidate. Let's just leave it at that...
Is that the original or the new version? I like the original a great deal but I've yet to see the new one.

Watched Ikiru last night. (Yes, I'm on a Kuroswawa binge.) Great God what an amazing film! A stunningly good performance by Takashi Shimura (better than any Mifune performance, IMO), a beautiful script that's right from AK's heart, and lovely cinematography. 10! 10! 10!

Hummingbirdtat2
09-05-2004, 01:05 PM
We saw the Bourne Supremecy last night. Plot, intrigue, action, character depth; what more can you ask for? Although I have not read Ludlum, I understand the movies digress from the books extensively. They are, however, extremely enjoyable in and off themselves. :thumbs_up

nome1486
09-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Is that the original or the new version? I like the original a great deal but I've yet to see the new one.

It was the new one; I haven't seen the original, so I can't compare them for you, but they're probably not very similar.

On the subject of Bourne Supremacy, I liked that one too. I thought it made much more sense than Bourne Identity.

JediFonger
09-06-2004, 08:44 PM
tris,i'm glad there's another AK fan =). he's my fav director of all time. fav is still 7 samurai.

as for bourne sup, have any of you that have seen the films read the books? imho the books blew the films away. they completely removed carlos the jackal!

papayahed
09-07-2004, 08:34 AM
The House of Yes. It was a little goofy but ok, I'd give it a 7.

atiguhya padma
09-07-2004, 12:20 PM
The Officer's Ward

A good exploration of what it means to have a facial disability, and a slight commentary on war. It suffers from a rather inconclusive ending and could have been more penetrating in its analysis of the evils of war. I guess I would give it 7/10.

Kiwi Shelf
09-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Wicker Park

All I can say is bad, very bad...

trismegistus
09-07-2004, 10:06 PM
tris,i'm glad there's another AK fan =). he's my fav director of all time. fav is still 7 samurai.
I can't say he's my favorite. Visually I like both Malick and Fellini better, but AK was a true master. Definitely in my top ten. (That sounds like another thread starter.)

Do you know Itami's work?

JediFonger
09-08-2004, 12:46 PM
not yet i'm still working through my list in silent movies =).

crisaor
09-09-2004, 04:40 PM
I'll second the 7 samurai as his best piece. :thumbs_up

yellow_pages
09-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Crazy/beautiful was the last film i saw,..in a way i was good coz they dnt try nd pack it with a whole load ov crap wich wudnt actually hapen, like they didnt try nd fit in big events to fill it like in other films, if you get my meaning, pritty good, 8/10

papayahed
09-14-2004, 04:20 PM
After Hours. I think it's an early Martin Scorcese movie, but not good. I'd give it 5 out of 10.

andrea
09-25-2004, 01:49 PM
I saw King Arthur yesterday. I thought the plot was a big pile of fantasy and the dialogues were quite silly, but it's a nice movie to look at. 6/10

mono
09-26-2004, 10:22 AM
I watched two movies fairly recently to rate:

Chasing Holden caught my eye at the video store, being a sucker for Salinger. The film was about a confused adolescent with Caulfield-syndrome, so to speak, searching to meet Salinger. Rating: 6-7/10, a little cliché.

Amelie, a French film, I saw for nearly the 100+ time. It requires no words. Rating: 11 (yes,eleven) /10.

Isagel
09-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Last night I saw "The Village". It was creepy. I would like to say more, but I do not want to spoil it for anyone, by giving out any details.

And Mono- about Amelie I can only qoute Spinal tap "This one goes to eleven". Amelie is a wonderful movie. After the movie evryone in the audience left with big silly grins on their faces. They do not make so many movies that make you feel like that.

crisaor
09-27-2004, 11:27 PM
Today I went so see Hero, by Zhang Yimou.

I believe it's one of those rare films, the ones that choose to entertain the viewer, but at the same time succeed in delivering an opinion, a point of view, a message of some sort. As usual in this type of movies (that would be, oriental martial arts/sword battles/etc.) all the elements associated to the visuals are mindblowing. The moves, the special effects, the costumes, the landscapes, the use of colours, are all simply beautiful and top of the art, and pretty much win over those of their predecessors (e.g. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) IMHO. Perhaps, only the swords are a weak link, as they seem to be pretty common-occidental swords, nothing like the katanas I was expecting to see. But the movie's so good, you hardly notice, and even if you do, it isn't tough at all to ignore it and move on.
Unlike in most movies, the script isn't forced to deliver a message that has been thought ex ante, but instead follows its own path without altering it, so at the end any perception that is left is extracted from that free development, and not the other way round, albeit the fact that the movie chooses myth and legend over an historic perspective. It is an old maxim of mine (not original, of course, but adopted nonetheless) that a good (no, make that a great movie) never has meaningless dialogues. What is said is said for a reason, any reason (rational or irrational), and the actions across the movie are consistent with this. The plot is pretty much what anyone could wish for, as it's never lineal, never predictable. The actors perform extremely well, they don't seem to be characters, they are simply themselves, at least that was my perception. The formula of the movie is kinda like this: Rashomon + Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon = Hero, so if you liked any of those, chances are you'll like this one.
I give it 9 crisaors.

P.D.: Thanks Isagel for recommending this one. It took almost a year, but I finally got a chance to see it. :)

trismegistus
09-28-2004, 12:40 AM
I give it 9 crisaors.
Isn't that, like, a buck-and-a-half American? ;)

Isagel
09-28-2004, 02:14 AM
I´m so glad you liked it.
Right now I´m looking forward to "House of flying daggers". Friends have told me that it equals Hero. We´ll see.

JediFonger
09-28-2004, 05:02 PM
crisaor, perhaps it's a language/cultural issue. i can understand mandarin fluently and i hate to burst your bubble but the message of hero is pretty clear. i also saw the 2 hour version (not the edited 90min version). the primary message is do not defy authority figure (eg communist china). this is why china wanted it to win "best picture" in the oscars. heh heh very funny.

crisaor
09-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Isn't that, like, a buck-and-a-half American? ;)
Could be. Let me get my calculator... ;)

I´m so glad you liked it.
Right now I´m looking forward to "House of flying daggers". Friends have told me that it equals Hero. We´ll see.
I'll be waiting for your review Isagel.

crisaor, perhaps it's a language/cultural issue. i can understand mandarin fluently and i hate to burst your bubble but the message of hero is pretty clear.
I never said that it wasn't. But what seems clear to you or myself, differs for other people.

i also saw the 2 hour version (not the edited 90min version). the primary message is do not defy authority figure (eg communist china). this is why china wanted it to win "best picture" in the oscars. heh heh very funny.
Like I said before. You got almost an exact opposite of the meaning I got. You understood that it was comunist propaganda. I understood that there's not always a good and a bad side. Everyone has their own agenda and motivations. The movie employs a legendary view of history, and IMO, this is generally much more interesting. Besides, how the hell can you talk about communism, when there isn't a single reference to it in the entire movie?? (unless of course, the translation has been perversedly altered, and instead of saying how fast Jet Li's sword is, they're just saying convert to communism. Or, maybe that red dress is an alusion. Yes, that's gotta be it. Forgive me if I choose to stick with my own interpretation.)

JediFonger
09-30-2004, 04:51 PM
the chinese never say literally what they always mean. if they told you i love you and they really mean i wanna kill you, it's easier to kill you that way.

if you ask ANY of your chinese/taiwanese friends who understand the subtext of a wuxia movie they'll ALL tell you it's communist propaganda. don't take my own words for it =).

crisaor
09-30-2004, 05:21 PM
the chinese never say literally what they always mean. if they told you i love you and they really mean i wanna kill you, it's easier to kill you that way.
What??? Is this for serious??? Geeze.....

if you ask ANY of your chinese/taiwanese friends who understand the subtext of a wuxia movie they'll ALL tell you it's communist propaganda. don't take my own words for it =).
I don't have any "chinese friends", but still, I'll obey and not take your word for it.

crisaor
10-10-2004, 05:19 PM
Saw Alien vs. Predator a few days ago, and even though I went to the cinema with zero expectations, it turned out to give me negative utility. This is the worst piece of crap I've seen in the last years :flare:. I knew it wasn't gonna be good, but this is far worse than I hoped. The plot is practically nonexistant, the usual elements of the alien biology are turned upside down, the predators are pathetic, and the film fails to entertain the viewer 100% of the time. Being both an alien and predator fan (I'm more partial to the predator if anyone is curious) I couldn't wait to see it. Now, I wish I hadn't. This isn't worth seeing, much less paying anything for it. Ignore it, both in cinema and video. If it ever hits the TV, you should ignore it too, unless you want to waste 1 hour 20 minutes of your time.

I give it 2 crisaors.

Jester
10-10-2004, 05:54 PM
:wave:
Runaway Jury,
Brain rollercoaster, very wierd plot twists wouldn't be surprised if its based on truth but I know its not, (i think :)) anyway, pretty good, big fan of John Cusak, Dustin Hoffman, and Rachel Weisz (i think I spelt that wrong)

9/10

papayahed
10-18-2004, 09:18 AM
Exorcist 4, The Beginning. I"d give it a 7. Not the best horror movie, not the worst.

Jay
10-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Van Helsing, liked it, was good.
Think I'd give it ... an 8.

atiguhya padma
10-18-2004, 10:45 AM
On DVD: The Man Without a Past.

An amusing and well-directed film about poverty, love and identity. Some very amusing dialogue. Made me laugh at times. I don't feel that there is so much of a serious message in the film though. Still Kaurasmaki is definitely a director to look out for in the future.

I can't believe there has been a Lukas Moodyson season on BBC4 in the UK, and I didn't get to see any of them!! Mind you have seen Together and Lilya-4-Ever already, still would have been nice to have seen Show Me Love.

AP

mono
10-18-2004, 02:59 PM
I saw Strangers on a Train a few days ago. Alfred Hitchcock never ceases to amaze me. Easily 10/10.

Stanislaw
10-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Belly of the beast not very intelligent, cheasy graphics, and of course the throw away strip club scene. 2/10

subterranean
10-21-2004, 12:00 AM
I watched Tom Jones last sunday. I havent read the book version, so I dont know whether Fielding wrote it with the intention to make it as a funny story. It isntreally an interesting story, though there are some commedies in it. I noticed that this movie won some Oscars, including the best picture and scenario.
I gave it 7/10

atiguhya padma
10-21-2004, 04:33 AM
Tom Jones is a huge rambling eighteenth century novel, filled with wit, humour and humanity. It was a big influence on Dickens apparently, and reading his Pickwick Papers, you can get a sense of similarity.

I believe Tony Richardson directed the film. He became famous through a group of writers and directors known as the Movement back in the 50's. They created an experimental style in theatre production and he moved on to films.

Stanislaw
10-21-2004, 11:03 AM
http://www.crankycritic.com/archive02/posters/undercoverbrother.jpg
10/10, this movie rocked... it was solid

subterranean
10-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Stan, is it just another rush hour, bad boy, type of movie again?

trismegistus
10-24-2004, 01:07 PM
Farewell My Concubine

Every bit as good as the critics claimed when it was released. The story is poetic and is carefully poignant rather than melodramatic. Changwei Gu and Kaige Chen created visual magic together. Score was a major element of the film, and it was used masterfully. The whole production is a damn near perfect synthesis of all the elements of good cinema.

9 of 10

WingedSpirit
10-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Yesterday, I just watched the first part of once unpon a time in America, it definitly is a masterpiece, I have to say it's the greatest America film I've ever seen and I've added it to my favorate list. I'll finish the second part of this movie tonight.
Before I watched ouatia, I saw another moive, the eternal sunshine of spotless mind, which was just published this early year. It's too a good film. I also recommend garden state, I watched it one month ago in theatre.

mono
10-31-2004, 02:36 PM
I saw a Spanish movie a few nights ago called Amores Perros (a translation I cannot make without closing the thread) - excellent movie; it reminds me if Quentin Tarantino directed a Spanish film. 9/10
Another foreign movie, German, I saw recently, Run Lola Run, I also fell in love with earns a 9/10 too.

papayahed
10-31-2004, 06:12 PM
I heard rave reviews for Amores Perros so I rented it, but I couldn't get past all the dog fighting. The storyline had me interested and I know the dog fighting was fake but I couldn't do it.

imthefoolonthehill
10-31-2004, 08:05 PM
Mothman Prophesies : 82%

kushi
10-31-2004, 09:21 PM
Austin Powers: the spy who shagged me..
I was utterly bored and it was the only decent thing on tv..it was pretty ok.. mm.. 75%ish
(watching Chocolat now..i like this better...but the thing is, the genres are totally different, but nonetheless, good movie)

trismegistus
10-31-2004, 11:29 PM
Another foreign movie, German, I saw recently, Run Lola Run, I also fell in love with earns a 9/10 too.

Try either Winterschläfer or Heaven for a change of pace. Neither is anywhere near as frantic as Lola Rennt, but Tykwer's visual sense carries right through.

Stanislaw
11-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Stan, is it just another rush hour, bad boy, type of movie again?

um it is more like a black austin powers, except not as dirty.

Scheherazade
11-01-2004, 01:01 PM

Watched Lola last year and loved it...

Last week watched Election (R. Witherspoon) and K-Pax (k. Spacey), both of which I enjoyed very much. 8/10

atiguhya padma
11-01-2004, 01:22 PM
The Last Metro by Francois Truffaud.

I'd give it 8/10. The best part of the film for me was at the end. I won't spoil it for anyone, though. You'll have to see it yourself. It took me by surprise. the film is about a little theatre in Nazi-occupied France, that is struggling to stay open. Its Jewish owner is in hiding, whilst his gentile wife runs the theatre (on his instructions). Anyway, Catherine Deneuve is probably one of the most beautiful women in cinema IMO, and her presence alongside Gerard Depardieu, give the film a charm all of its own.

Stanislaw
11-03-2004, 01:18 PM
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: 10/10

it was a really awesome movie, and the action sequances were totally awesome! :thumbs_up

Jester
11-03-2004, 03:29 PM
anger management... by far my favorite adam sandler movie... just not as dumb as the others. 7/10 and very funny

Stanislaw
11-03-2004, 05:41 PM
jack nicholson is very funny, aswell as being very versatile. I liked his about schmidt aswell.

Scheherazade
11-04-2004, 03:05 AM
I adore Jack Nicholson. :brow:

Stanislaw
11-04-2004, 11:48 AM
lol, so does my mother, too crazy.

Scheherazade
11-04-2004, 12:40 PM
lol, so does my mother, too crazy.

If that was an innuendo about age, I will ignore it :p

And you are forgiven for it too :D