PDA

View Full Version : What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Lynne50
05-01-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm passing along a bit of information that I just heard about. Maybe some of you have already heard of it? It's Internet Movie Data Base.com. Apparently it has every movie ever made with ratings. Plus it also includes TV shows in its data base, too. Happy movie watching!

seanlol
05-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Evan Almighty. 6/10.

librarius_qui
05-02-2009, 08:03 PM
The Seven Samurai

Whoa!
Wow!

Unable to rate it. It's above rating systems.~

The Last Samurai ... Well .. 8/10.

Stargazer86
05-02-2009, 08:15 PM

Tom Cruise as the last samurai was like wtf?! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was actually a pretty decent movie. But I mean, c'mon...seriously Tom Cruise :lol:...

The Jungle Book (the Disney one)
Fabulous. You just can't beat the Disney classics. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid and my step son was watching it the other day. I absolutely love those old Disney movies. 10/10

The last grown up movie I watched was Elizabeth: The Golden Age
A lot of historical innaccuracies, but overall, a well done movie. Wonderful casting, beautiful costuming and cinemetography. Good dramatic effect without going overboard. I just love Cate Blanchett 9/10

Lynne50
05-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Well, I just saw Let the Right One In and loved it. It was visually, very pretty. Swedish landscapes. I think I will have to see it again, to get all the symbolism, but I would highly recommend it. 9/10

dramasnot6
05-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Saw the Taiwanese film "Eat Drink Man Woman" which was absolutely wonderful! A brilliantly shot, narrated and entertaining film that says a lot about Chinese and Western culture. Great film for foodies, lots of great montages of cooking.
8/10 (which is very high for me!)

Stargazer86
05-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Labyrinth (with David Bowie)

I love Brian Froud and David Bowie so I can't believe I've never seen this before!! It was kind of cheesy, but very entertaining and fun and cool. My 6 year old LOVED it. We really had a nice evening watching it together. Even my 4 month old was really into it. She was cooing along to the songs and watching all the little critters.

The puppets and special effects are not very good compared to what they have now. But sometimes I like it better that way and in this case it works. I only wish I'd seen it when it first came out!
I will definately be buying this movie

10/10

Stargazer86
05-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Another movie I saw recently that I really enjoyed was The Diving Bell and the Butterfly which is based on a book of the same name. I haven't read the book though. I hear its a true story.

It was wonderfully filmed. An absolutely beautiful and touching movie. It's a French film and though I don't know any French, I don't think it would have had the same effect if it were in another lanugage. Which is why I always prefer to watch movies subtitled and not dubbed. The perspectives and story and cinemetography and really everything were quite well done. It wasn't a high budget film and didn't need to be. I most definately want to read the book now.

10/10

dramasnot6
05-03-2009, 06:25 PM
I also loved The Diving Bell and Butterfly! So creative.

mono
05-04-2009, 11:37 AM
We watched a very wacky film last night, a digital animation movie, called Terkel I Knibe - absolutely hilarious! It has some very dark humor, occasionally very blunt, twisted, and never contains a dull moment. I would call it where Pixar meets South Park. I think I spent the entirety of the film laughing myself to tears.
Rating: 10/10.

Niamh
05-04-2009, 12:00 PM
In Bruges. What can i say. Bloody Brilliant. 10/10 That brings the total amount of films i like Colin Farrell in to two. :p

mono
05-04-2009, 12:10 PM
In Bruges. What can i say. Bloody Brilliant. 10/10 That brings the total amount of films i like Colin Farrell in to two. :p
Ah, I just saw that a few months ago - excellent choice, Niamh! :nod: I have encountered few plots that original, that suspenseful, simultaneous to dark humor within the past decade. Agreed 10/10.

Niamh
05-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Ah, I just saw that a few months ago - excellent choice, Niamh! :nod: I have encountered few plots that original, that suspenseful, simultaneous to dark humor within the past decade. Agreed 10/10.

Totally agreed!
Yeah the humour was very dublin. :p only way to discribe it. very different story and thats why i liked it. and it make me teary eyed and feel for the characters. was all round great!

The quote that had me in stitches was

I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't.

Joreads
05-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Joreads
My nephew just recommended that movie to me too. He also said it was one of the best movies he ever saw. Now I really want to see it.

You really should see it.

Nightshade
05-05-2009, 05:12 AM

So whats the other one?

Niamh
05-05-2009, 05:25 AM
So whats the other one?

Intermission

Anto Magann
05-05-2009, 01:56 PM
This is a brillant movie

Janine
05-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Ivanhoe ~ adaptation starring Anthony Andrews and Olivia Hussey

I am currently at intermission :lol:

Wow, I have been looking for this film for years. It just became available on DVD; doesn't everything, if you wait long enough? It's nostalgically taking me back to when I first viewed it on TV, many moons ago. I love it so far. Olivia Hussy is so lovely and she has her own unique rare kind of beauty. Anthony Andrews is a hunk, what more can I say? Interesting to see, such a young Sam Neil, he plays the villian. What a great cast and a very good production.

vheissu
05-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Let the right one in

At the end of the film I felt...confused. I know some films are directed in a way to be open to interpretation by the viewer, but this one had too many points that left too many questions.
Overall it was good. A bit slow in some parts and I have a feeling the english dubbing was very bad - that's why I prefer subtitles, at least you know that most of what the actors say is actually translated.
I'm probably going to look for the book as well, it's bound to give some background story to it :)

8/10

librarius_qui
05-10-2009, 10:12 PM

Seven Samurai, A. Kurosawa
(again)

still unable to rate it.
I'm about to elect it my favourite.
a bit soon to it, but it's strong candidate~
:thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

mono
05-11-2009, 05:48 AM
A few nights ago, we watched Adam Æbler (or Adam's Apples ;)), a Danish film with a very thought-provoking plot, involving everything from neo-Nazi skinheads to mentally-unsound Christian ministers, and compulsive thieves and drunks to trigger-happy Middle-Easterners. Weird, eh? Yeah, it gets even stranger, and manages to add a lot of dark humor in it, too, but ends up with a somewhat touching and affectionate ending - a surprise no viewer would have predicted, judging by the remains of the film.
Rating: 9,5/10

Sapphire
05-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Pride and Glory
I had a nice evening watching it, but it did not grab me. Somehow the personages did not come alive to me at all - I could not really understand why they acted as they did. Though there was explaining all around. Maybe that was the whole problem. It all fitted too well - and the ending was meant to be big and shocking and I just thought it was inevitable and still not necessary.

6/10

Mark F.
05-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Santa Sangre

Jodorowsky's best film. Full of mystical imagery but with a better plot and greater directorial mastery than El Topo or The Holy Mountain.

Boris239
05-11-2009, 09:53 PM
I really liked this one- it's now officially my favorite vampire movie.

Let the right one in

At the end of the film I felt...confused. I know some films are directed in a way to be open to interpretation by the viewer, but this one had too many points that left too many questions.
Overall it was good. A bit slow in some parts and I have a feeling the english dubbing was very bad - that's why I prefer subtitles, at least you know that most of what the actors say is actually translated.
I'm probably going to look for the book as well, it's bound to give some background story to it :)

8/10

Moshu
05-15-2009, 09:04 AM
The Kite Runner
Amazing! I was so emotionally moved.
5 stars!

librarius_qui
05-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Seven Samurai, A. Kurosawa
(again)

still unable to rate it.
I'm about to elect it my favourite.
a bit soon to it, but it's strong candidate~
:thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Sand Pebbles
:thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up &1/2:thumbs_up

I'd give 10,
but my father was at the side, and told the movie's sin,
so it should be 9.99,
but I'll give it 10/10.~

lq
Tim, t.f.

Shalot
05-17-2009, 04:02 AM
I watched Drillbit Taylor.

I want my 110 minutes back.

:crash:

Sapphire
05-17-2009, 06:21 AM
Citizen Kane
What's there to say? I liked it, but I do not really understand why it should be the best American movie ever... I think I should look into the background a bit more (I watched RKO 281 yesterday), after all it is from 1941!
7/10

The Comedian
05-18-2009, 12:37 PM
I saw How Green Was My Valley, the 1930's John Ford film based on the novel of the same name. It was okay. I really enjoyed the novel, when I read it a few years back.

7.5/10

Janine
05-18-2009, 10:53 PM
I saw How Green Was My Valley, the 1930's John Ford film based on the novel of the same name. It was okay. I really enjoyed the novel, when I read it a few years back.

7.5/10

Oh heavens, I love this movie so much when I was a kid, I ended up reading the book; it's a great book, too. It's been years, but I would love to see the movie again. I studied the film director in College. Only a 7.5 for a Ford film? I don't recall it well enough now, but I think it is a classic. I hope to see it again sometime soon.

Yep, just looked it up on Amazon and found this information:

This is the movie you saw, right?

How Green Was My Valley (1941) ~ Walter Pigeon and Mauren O'Hara, directed by John Ford. Based on the novel by Richard Llewellyn

This film beat out Citizen Kane in 1941 for the Academy Award. The picture also won Oscars for Best Director (Ford), Best Supporting Actor (Donald Crisp), Best Art Direction, and Best Cinematography

On Amazon, it's rated a 4 1/2 star

Glad you mentioned it, I think I am going to buy it; I recall loving this film.

Mathor
05-21-2009, 12:25 AM
for whatever reason i was drinking with some friends and someone put on pulp fiction and i loved it as much as every time i've ever seen it. Not really the right party movie cause i got SO into it, I didn't want to talk to anyone.

10/10! SO GOOD!

Helga
05-21-2009, 05:23 PM
star trek the new movie... as a big st fan I don't know what to say about it, it was probably a good movie but it was very difficult to accept everything they were doing. Checov was perfect, Spock was pretty good too but Kirk, man that is a bad actor who played him. I think I need to see it a few times so I can deal with the changes they made. for the most part it was a good story, but I need to get used to it, it is very strange how this affects me...

The Comedian
05-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Oh heavens, I love this movie so much when I was a kid, I ended up reading the book; it's a great book, too. It's been years, but I would love to see the movie again. I studied the film director in College. Only a 7.5 for a Ford film? I don't recall it well enough now, but I think it is a classic. I hope to see it again sometime soon.

Yep. That's it. You'll have to take my ratings with a grain of salt, Janie. I don't like movies that much, in general. Old movies even less.

qimissung
05-21-2009, 10:16 PM

How Green Was My Valley (1941) ~ Walter Pigeon and Mauren O'Hara, directed by John Ford. Based on the novel by Richard Llewellyn

This film beat out Citizen Kane in 1941 for the Academy Award. The picture also won Oscars for Best Director (Ford), Best Supporting Actor (Donald Crisp), Best Art Direction, and Best Cinematography

On Amazon, it's rated a 4 1/2 star

Glad you mentioned it, I think I am going to buy it; I recall loving this film.

But isn't it really sad? Doesn't their family end up in a far worse place than they began? Life is hard enough-I just can't watch people working so hard and ending up with so little. But I could watch "Schindler's List" again. Don't ask me why. I think that it's so tragic that it verges on the unreal for me; that and the fact that it gives you a shred of hope in humanity with its' depiction of Schindler. I mention this movie only because I think it's on HBO right now-and I haven't seen it since the first time I saw it in the theater.

subterranean
05-22-2009, 02:17 AM
Mammoth! Though the theme of the story is not something new, but the movie finely and succesfully depict the 3 different yet similiar emotional struggles of the characters coming from different social and cultural backgrounds.

:thumbs_up:thumbs_up.

manolia
05-25-2009, 06:37 AM
Saw the "illuminati" film two nights ago (thought i might as well throw some money out of the window :D)

Shalot
05-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Saw Star Trek. It was the best. I have a new thing to obsess about now. First it was LOTR, then Star Wars and now Star Trek. I never watched the series (old or new). I went to see a couple of movies when I was younger with my Dad (Search for Spock) but I didn't really pay attention or get was so great about it. But now I'm considering going back and watching some of the old movies and shows. It was a fantastic movie. :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Janine
05-25-2009, 07:21 PM
But isn't it really sad? Doesn't their family end up in a far worse place than they began? Life is hard enough-I just can't watch people working so hard and ending up with so little. But I could watch "Schindler's List" again. Don't ask me why. I think that it's so tragic that it verges on the unreal for me; that and the fact that it gives you a shred of hope in humanity with its' depiction of Schindler. I mention this movie only because I think it's on HBO right now-and I haven't seen it since the first time I saw it in the theater.

gimissung, it was a really sad movie, but very moving. I think you missed the point, if you didn't see that there was something uplifting at the end that transcended that deep sadness. First off, I love the fact, they chose to use B/W for this film; the coal scenes were much more effective and full of pathos and a hard life. Second, I thought immediately of D.H.Lawrence (who I study extensively and love) and the major element of the story - the coal mines and how it impacted society and families and how it marred the countryside forever. It was their way of life and yet it ruined their beautiful valley in the end. I found this story very poignant and well constructed. I may write more on it later this evening. I have to get my thoughts together on it. It won a ton of awards that year and rightfully so, I believe. I never judge a movie, as to whether I can watch it again. To me this movie was long and yet it was stunning. The cinematography was unparelleled. I think one has to take it back and place it in it's time frame. This film was produced, just prior to the escalation of WWII; bombing of Pearl Harbor, etc. I watched the extra featurette and got a lot of the background from that. Did you realise that Maureen O'Hara was only 19 in this production? She was gorgeous and the way Ford photographed the two women was stunning. I love John Ford films; his sense was totally artistic. He said this was his all time favorite film. I find that interesting. It certainly was 'progressive' to my thinking, for the time. This film could apply to the hardships and loss of jobs of today.

Personally, I thought it was an amazing film and it felt, for the most part realistic. I can't get over how they constructed that Welsh village in the California hills; originally it was planned it would be shot on location in Wales. It looked totally authentic and I found the setting to be a 'character' of it's own - almost an ominious presence that sat looking over the houses; the layout was incredible.

The direction was impecable; the acting excellent. I could not get over how amazing Roddy McDowel was as a child actor; I believe this was his first role. Some parts were overly sentimental or overly dramatized or a little corny, but basically, I overlooked this fact, because I thought, 'this film is from that era of old classics. You really can't compare it to Schindler's list, which I could now watch again, too. For a long time I couldn't. It was just too horrid. I don't think this story had near the blantant horror that Schindler's list had displayed in it. I still recall the small child hiding in a toilet. That really got to me. And the way, the one Nazi, played by Ralph Fiennes, just picked off humans like they were pigeons. I couldn't take that. Also, Schindler's List is a modern made film and this film is not. This film belongs to the classics of yesterday and rates up there with "Grapes of Wrath", also directed by John Ford, I believe.

I have to say I would give this film at least a 9/10, if not higher. My only complaint was it did end sort of abruptly, but perhaps that was more effective; who am I to say? I guess I would have liked to know what then became of the one couple in the story; I think that was left for interpretation but I believe I came up with my own answer and that satisfied me.

The Comedian
05-25-2009, 08:23 PM
I saw Crimes and Misdemeanors, again. . . . loved it again. It's one of the few movies that I love and can palate more than one viewing.

10/10

Stargazer86
05-27-2009, 06:42 PM
"Milk", the story of Harvey Milk, a gay man/activist who was a public official in San Francisco in the 70's and was murdered along with the mayor of San Francisco by the City Supervisor who claimed the infamous "Twinkie defense".
First of all, Sean Penn is an AMAZING actor and defintely deserved the academy award that he got for this role! James Franco and the others also do a fantastic job. The story itself is so moving and inspiring and touching. Unfortunately, Hollywood tends to take amazing stories and really screw them up. Not the case here. The movie was very well made. I bought it. I laughed and I cried (literally). This issue in particular is a biggie to me and shed further light on the struggle. It was interesting to see the reaction with Prop 6 in the 70's as compared to Prop 8 which came about last November in the election. Hard to say too much more without delving into anything political. I really could go on about this, but instead, I just recommend (regardless of where you stand on the issues presented) for anyone to see the movie. 10/10 without a doubt

Nightshade
05-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Star trek
I loooooooooooooved it. Even if those beeping cilinum slug things made an appearnce. ( they are what put me off Startrek TOS and all its cast in the first place at the age of 7. and gave me a phobia of the combination of insects and ears.
But the film was Soo good I want to watch the original series now!

mono
05-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Upon some research, it came out in 1997, but last night I watched Boogie Nights for the first time. I certainly thought it a unique movie, and I did not care a whole lot for the first half of the film, but Mark Wahlberg's mediocre acting has never really impressed me; to me, artists like Burt Reynolds, Julianne Moore, John C. Reilly, and William H. Macy made the film, plus I loved the brief cameos with one of my favorite actors, Philip Seymour Hoffman. Mark Wahlberg and Heather Graham, I think, functioned more as pretty faces than semi-decent artists on the screen.
The storyline flowed well, and I thought it beautifully directed down to each detail; Paul Thomas Anderson did very well at both writing and directing the film, in my opinion. The subject matter did not particularly appeal to my tastes, but I knew it would not prior to seeing it, having heard about it since it came out over a decade ago; in 1997, I still attended middle school, so one can imagine the rumors that it created amid shy, pubescent teenagers. Overall, I would call it a very good film, but nothing really to call home about, to tell all honesty.
Rating: 7/10

Eryk
05-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Cold Mountain (on iTunes). I thought it was a great movie. I liked Emily Deschanel's cameo as the letter-reading nurse.

Shalot
05-31-2009, 10:00 PM
Upon some research, it came out in 1997, but last night I watched Boogie Nights for the first time. I certainly thought it a unique movie, and I did not care a whole lot for the first half of the film, but Mark Wahlberg's mediocre acting has never really impressed me; to me, artists like Burt Reynolds, Julianne Moore, John C. Reilly, and William H. Macy made the film, plus I loved the brief cameos with one of my favorite actors, Philip Seymour Hoffman. Mark Wahlberg and Heather Graham, I think, functioned more as pretty faces than semi-decent artists on the screen.
The storyline flowed well, and I thought it beautifully directed down to each detail; Paul Thomas Anderson did very well at both writing and directing the film, in my opinion. The subject matter did not particularly appeal to my tastes, but I knew it would not prior to seeing it, having heard about it since it came out over a decade ago; in 1997, I still attended middle school, so one can imagine the rumors that it created amid shy, pubescent teenagers. Overall, I would call it a very good film, but nothing really to call home about, to tell all honesty.
Rating: 7/10

My favorite scene from this movie was the drug deal gone awry with the firecrackers and the horrible mix tape. Just to summarize, Dirk Diggler and and his strung out companions go to some rich guy's house to sell him a bag of baking soda for a few thousand dollars. Drug transactions require a certain amount of unpleasant "hanging out" time, while monies are exchanged and goods sampled etc. But, Dirk and Todd and Reed think they can pull this one off because the person they planned to scam is known for being more interested in partying and hanging out and they think they can get in and get out before he figures out that he just paid big bucks for baking soda. When they get there, they find that their host does in fact want to chill for a while, but they hadn't counted on the man with the gun who takes their baking soda to try it out before they get paid. While they wait, their host prattles on wearing nothing but bikini underwear and a silk bathrobe while he plays and sings along to Rick Springfield and Nightranger. Oh, and to add to the tension, there's Cosmo, the young prostitute in his underwear shooting off firecrackers in the house causing the already nervous trio to jump and flinch with each explosion.

The expression on Mark Wahlberg's face in this scene is spot on. He looks like he's died and just realized that he's in hell. Cracks me up everytime:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n25/Shalot_bucket/markwahlburg.png

Janine
05-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Shakespeare Retold ~ BBC series; watched just two so far on the DVD set.

The Taming of the Shrew ~ Rufus Sewell, Shirely Henderson

What a riot this play is 'retold'. I loved it. I first saw it on Youtube and laughed my head off. It's really well done and I can see enjoying this fun film for years to come. The two actors do an incredible job - it's all in the eyes and the facial expressions. Rufus Sewell is so sexy and so cute. His eyes are amazing. Henderson is a total riot when she in angry, which is most of the time.

A Midsummer's Night's Dream ~ not sure of the actors in this one; no one, except Imelda Staunton did I recognised. It was ok....a bit confusing at times. Of the two plays, I didn't think this one as good. I hope the other 2 are better; since I purchase the series on DVD. I was a little bored at times with this particular production. I think it could have been done more effectively, a little less confusing and contrived

Peter's Friends ~ Kenneth Branagh, Hugh Laurie, Imelda Staunton, Rita Rudner, Emma Thompson, Stephen Fry. Alphonsia Emmanuel, Phylida Law, Alexe Lowe, Tony Slattery

With this fine cast, how can one go wrong? It's a little dated, but still appropriate and I happen to like this film a lot. It has it's fine moments, both funny and serious. Acting is right on and it's similar in concept to the US film "The Big Chill", since it involves old friends reuniting after so many years of separation and finding out new things about themselves and each other; the strong friendship bond still holds true in the end.

bluevictim
05-31-2009, 11:28 PM
"Milk", the story of Harvey Milk, a gay man/activist who was a public official in San Francisco in the 70's and was murdered along with the mayor of San Francisco by the City Supervisor who claimed the infamous "Twinkie defense".
First of all, Sean Penn is an AMAZING actor and defintely deserved the academy award that he got for this role! James Franco and the others also do a fantastic job. The story itself is so moving and inspiring and touching. Unfortunately, Hollywood tends to take amazing stories and really screw them up. Not the case here. The movie was very well made. I bought it. I laughed and I cried (literally). This issue in particular is a biggie to me and shed further light on the struggle. It was interesting to see the reaction with Prop 6 in the 70's as compared to Prop 8 which came about last November in the election. Hard to say too much more without delving into anything political. I really could go on about this, but instead, I just recommend (regardless of where you stand on the issues presented) for anyone to see the movie. 10/10 without a doubtThanks for the review. I wanted to see this movie when I saw the trailers. Is it out on DVD yet?

Helga
06-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Star trek
I loooooooooooooved it. Even if those beeping cilinum slug things made an appearnce. ( they are what put me off Startrek TOS and all its cast in the first place at the age of 7. and gave me a phobia of the combination of insects and ears.
But the film was Soo good I want to watch the original series now!

it was a good film but the thing is they made everything in TOS irrelevant, they changed everything, I don't want to give anything away, but they changed everything... it doesn't matter if you watch TOS or not... though it is really good and you should definitely watch it but not because of the new movie...
this is a very tough subject for me...

Buh4Bee
06-01-2009, 05:03 PM
"The Stepford Wives"
Really funny and had imo one of the greatest endings ever!
But, I am a really big feminist, so a lot of the movie annoyed me excessively.

So, I would give it a 7, mainly for the humour and ending

I have to agree, I thought this movie was hysterical. I really was surprised by the ending and a little disappointed with myself for stereotyping. It proves how the fifties mentality of a blissful home has a housewife still has some sort of validity today. At least there is still a little nostalgia.

Mystic River. It was pretty good, I'd give it an 8.

This was a good movie. It won an academy award, but can't remember for what. Sean Penn is memorable.

Mathor
06-01-2009, 11:11 PM
The Good The Bad and The Ugly - 10/10 - I can't believe I have never seen this movie until yesterday. I've always kind of shyed away from westerns for whatever reason, I just really usually can't get into this one. But this movie is just perfection. It's so much better than I expected. And to think for so long i saw this as a movie I could "do without" for the simple fact it was a western and looked kinda stupid.

Up - 10/10 - Everything Pixar touches turns to Gold. Gold for Oscar.

Mark F.
06-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Los Abrazos rotos - Pedro Almodovar

A terribly disappointing film. It could have been a decent effort but Almodovar tries to tie up all the loose ends, dragging out the ending for at least 30 minutes too much to reveal pointless and/or obvious twists.

Looking For Eric - Ken Loach

Ok, it's definitely not Loach's best film, it's a bit on the lighter side but everything it sets out to do, Looking For Eric achieves. I spent a good time in the theatre and there was genuine laughter from beginning to end. The acting is spot on, and Cantona is hilarious without stealing the show.

Summer With Monika - Ingmar Bergman

A bleak love story from the beginning of Bergman's career. The two main actors, Harriet Andersson and Lars Ekborg who portray a young teenage couple who run away to spend the Summer together are brilliant and both frequently appeared in his later films. The film is centred on their relationship and follows the ups and downs. There are a few promising shots that show glimpses of Bergman's genius.

PoeticPassions
06-09-2009, 07:02 AM
STAR TREK 9/10... even though it has a lot of "suspend your disbelief" moments and completely shaky physics, I really enjoyed it, and I was never a fan of Star Trek. It was funny, philosophical, and entertaining.

Mark F.
06-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Antichrist - Lars Von Trier

This film isn't for everyone, it's gruesome and opressing, but if you can stomach that and are openminded check this out. I'm not saying it's a masterpiece, though it's beautifully filmed and the acting from both Gainsbourg and Dafoe is excellent, but it's full of questions.

Buh4Bee
06-11-2009, 03:46 AM
Star Trek 1 to 10- 8 I thought it was great! Not a huge Sci-Fi fan, but definitely was in this case. I think most people would like it.

manolia
06-11-2009, 06:24 AM
Antichrist - Lars Von Trier

This film isn't for everyone, it's gruesome and opressing, but if you can stomach that and are openminded check this out. I'm not saying it's a masterpiece, though it's beautifully filmed and the acting from both Gainsbourg and Dafoe is excellent, but it's full of questions.

yep i'll watch this one ;)

Last film i watched was the new terminator movie. Lots of cgi graphics and Christian Bale..that sums it up :D

Seraphina
06-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Death Note/Death Note 2

i thought these films were great fun :) and they had a kind of deeper message too, about how killing criminals makes you as bad as the criminals themselves, and all life is precious, etc. the acting was a bit polarised though. Tatsuya Fujiwara (battle royale) as Light Yagami was fantastic as always, and so were many of the other young actors, especially Ken'ichi Matsuyama as L. However, there were a couple of truly dreadful performances, namely Erika Toda as Misa Amane. Still, if you fancy a fun film that doesn't overdo it on the moral message, with a couple of very clever twists, Death Note and Death Note 2 are for you :) you can also get the film in subs or dubbed, so the language doesn't have to be a barrier.

Eryk
06-11-2009, 04:28 PM
The Reader. I saw the movie and then downloaded the book, which I've just read. I've been thinking about it so much it's hard to talk about, I wouldn't know where to start.

Mark F.
06-16-2009, 09:04 AM
The Blob - Irvin S. Yeaworth

Very cheesy 1950's sci-fi flick starring a young Steve McQueen. Two teenagers see a comet land and when they go to check out what happenend they fins an old man with a blob on his hand... Corny and fun.

Land and Freedom - Ken Loach

One of Loach's best films, very similar in theme to The Wind the Shakes the Barley but takes place during the spanish civil war and shows the angst between the communist party and independent groups.

LadyWentworth
06-18-2009, 05:26 PM
I Love You, Man
7/10
It had its moments, but it could've been better.

The Hangover
10/10
What can I say? I was thoroughly entertained. :D

Joreads
06-20-2009, 01:34 AM
He is just not that into you. 9/10 one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.

DisPater
06-21-2009, 02:26 PM
knowing ---> uber-crap. two boring hours. the writers must die in a plane crash. they deserve it.

qimissung
06-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Valkyrie I loved it. I watched it only at my son's suggestion. He is not a big Tom Cruise fan, but he was raving about this movie and now I see why. Cruise gave a very strong performance. I watched with bated breath and a knot in my stomach as these men risked their lives to stop what they perceived as a very great wrong.

Nazi Germany is always depicted as a place where everyone was complicit in the horror, so it was intriguing to another aspect of the place where everyone marched in lockstep. Cruise looks eerily like the man he played in the movie. I read that that was what interested him about the role. I'm sure some things were changed, but according to what I read the movie is fairly accurate, historically. I give it a 9/10.

Nick Capozzoli
06-22-2009, 12:21 AM
I am almost embarassed to say that I loved Hangover. because the plot is so silly...three guys take their about to be married buddy to Las Vegas for night on the town that goes hilariously wrong when they all accidentally get doped with the "date rape" drug. The gags are adolescent and gross, but it all works on a more serious level. Think of a cross between Memento and Animal House.:D

manolia
06-22-2009, 03:01 AM
knowing ---> uber-crap. two boring hours. the writers must die in a plane crash. they deserve it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
agreed

Janine
06-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Valkyrie I loved it. I watched it only at my son's suggestion. He is not a big Tom Cruise fan, but he was raving about this movie and now I see why. Cruise gave a very strong performance. I watched with bated breath and a knot in my stomach as these men risked their lives to stop what they perceived as a very great wrong.

Nazi Germany is always depicted as a place where everyone was complicit in the horror, so it was intriguing to another aspect of the place where everyone marched in lockstep. Cruise looks eerily like the man he played in the movie. I read that that was what interested him about the role. I'm sure some things were changed, but according to what I read the movie is fairly accurate, historically. I give it a 9/10.

gimissung, I just watched Valkyrie a few nights ago; I even have the desire to see it agai, already. I thought it was great! I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise's,either, not in recent years; but, I thought he did a superb job with this role. He does indeed resemble the real man. I read up on him online and also saw some clips on Youtube. This role suited Cruise well. I too, sat with bated breath and a knot in my stomach, as the story progressed. Of course, we all know the outcome pretty much from the beginning, because we know Hitler was not assasinate; it's the plot and how it all developed which is fascinating. It was really tense throughout, wasn't it? I found the whole intrigue wonderfully presented by the director, Brian Singer. The cinamatography was right-on and the cast was top-notch, just to name a few: Bill Nighy, Kenneth Branagh, Tom Wilkenson, and many other fine British actors I recognised by face and not necessarily by name. I won't fail to mention one prominent German actor; now his name eludes me, but he was in "The Pianist".

Everything you wrote in your second paragraph I fully agree with. It was interesting to see those in the military who did NOT subscribe to the Nazi way of thinking. There were some very brave men who fought to change the system and they died trying to; their efforts and memories should not go unknown or forgotten. I am glad they made this film; it showed me something I was not previously aware of.

qimissung
06-22-2009, 03:13 PM
You always give such thorough reviews, Janine. I agree, the cast was absolutely top-notch. It was surprising how taut the script was given that we do know the outcome. It was such a huge undertaking. Apparently it's true that the briefcase was moved only moments before the bomb inside went off, and that the move, only a few inches, was enough to save Hitler.

Spoiler:I got chills at the end when Cruises' character shouts out "Long live sacred Germany" as he was executed.

grace86
06-22-2009, 04:54 PM
I rented Valkyrie and Traitor the other night.

Valkyrie I agree was awesome 10/10 for me. I think Tom Cruise did an awesome job.

Traitor was a good movie too, though at some points I wish there was a little more. 9/10.

In the movie theater I saw The Proposal. I thought it was really good. And I love Sandra Bullock. Pretty clean movie too. 10/10.

Janine
06-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks, gimissung. You are always so complimentary towards me. I like to read your reviews, too. I have a few other movies I recently watched and will be commenting on. I am going to add this to what you wrote:

SPOILER, so we don't give too much away for those who wish to see the film. Hope you don't mind my stepping in here. 'taut' is a good word for the script. Unfortunately, my library's copy of the DVD didn't have any extras on it. I may eventually buy the film and get the one telling the whole story in documentary. I have seen some of that on Youtube. It's highly interesting.

You always give such thorough reviews, Janine. I agree, the cast was absolutely top-notch. It was surprising how taut the script was given that we do know the outcome. It was such a huge undertaking. Apparently it's true that the briefcase was moved only moments before the bomb inside went off, and that the move, only a few inches, was enough to save Hitler.

I got chills at the end when Cruises' character shouts out "Long live sacred Germany" as he was executed.

We better write SPOILER here. I didn't want to give away the ending, but it's hard not talk about it, right? I can't believe either that Hitler survived 15 assasination attempts and what you pointed out here about the brief case. The man really was evil personified, perhaps even the devil incarnate. I thought his depiction in the film was just great; showed just enough of the man to give one chills. I found he looked so entirely like him. Do you know who played his role? I didn't recognise that actor. I think this film deserves more attention than it apparently got. I was wondering about that brief case and how they knew it got moved. I found that whole scene tense and spellbinding. The time limit also, the slowpoke guard checking his credentials, before he could proceed to the conference room and not the bunker as planned, more time wasted. "Nothing ever goes exactly as planned"; interesting someone said that earlier in the film. Yes, those last scenes were hard to take. Even more stirring for me was the point at which the younger officer stood in front of Cruise at the firing range. How touching was that? I also loved the way they filmed Branagh walking up to those trees overlooking that open field; the rest I won't disclose, but I found it perfect acting, and emotional without going over the top. I think I wanted to applaud Ken for that moment. It was a film great and one of the great ending scenes; the cuts were perfect, showing just enough; same applies to the whole film; very well edited. I had to watch Ken's moment twice, since I am a big fan of his, even though it's another one hard to bear. I don't think the film a totally 'downer' in mood either; at least, one knows these men did not die in vain, by those last closing lines with the voice over. It was pretty amazing.

qimissung
06-22-2009, 08:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claus_von_Stauffenberg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_July_plot

SpoilerThis post is in reference to the movie Valkyrie.The above links are to Wikipedia pages concerning the July 20 plot, as it is called, and General Stauffenberg. If you scroll down to the section under Stauffenberg to the July 20 plot, read the last three paragraphs of that section. It tells what happened the day they set their takeover attempt in action. The plot of the movie follows this almost exactly.

Yes, the scene with Branagh gave me chills, too. He hadn't been seen in the movie since he recruited Stauffenberg. I, too, thought he did a superb job. And yes, I felt so much for Cruises' aide de camp. It was touching. What loyalty.

jinjang
06-22-2009, 11:51 PM
I saw last Saturday the movie, Across the Universe, with all the songs by Beatles sung by actors and actresses. One of the best I have ever seen!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Across_the_Universe_(film)

Janine
06-23-2009, 03:53 PM
SPOILER

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claus_von_Stauffenberg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_July_plot

SpoilerThis post is in reference to the movie Valkyrie.The above links are to Wikipedia pages concerning the July 20 plot, as it is called, and General Stauffenberg. If you scroll down to the section under Stauffenberg to the July 20 plot, read the last three paragraphs of that section. It tells what happened the day they set their takeover attempt in action. The plot of the movie follows this almost exactly.

Yes, the scene with Branagh gave me chills, too. He hadn't been seen in the movie since he recruited Stauffenberg. I, too, thought he did a superb job. And yes, I felt so much for Cruises' aide de camp. It was touching. What loyalty.

gimissung, I read the story from the links you provided; thanks so much. I had read some of the history online before. I found this all very interesting; the photos make it all so real; the area of the blast was incredible - how did anyone survive that? Yes, the movie seems very true to the story. The only thing which seemed to be changed, and it may be a wrong fact, is that Treschov seemed to hatch the original plan. I am not sure that was made clear in the film; I think I am going to have to watch the film again. I wish the library DVD had the Extra Features on it. I would have liked to watch them. They may be on Youtube. If I find them, I will forward them to you. I think the most poignant thing for me now, in reading this history, is to know that is actually how Treschov killed himself. I found the passage he left behind truly stirring, chilling as well. They all were great heroes in the end. God rest their souls.

Branagh did a fine job with this role. I wondered when he left the film, if he would return again. Treschov's brief appearance at the very end was quite effective, I thought. I applaud the director. He picked a fine cast and he stuck to the history and presented it well.

papayahed
06-23-2009, 07:50 PM
I saw three movies over the weekend, which must be some kind of record for me.

Birdcage - Love it! I could watch this movie every day. The crying and carrying on can be a bit much but I think Hank Azarria's character makes up for any flaw the film may have. 9.5/10

Milk - The true story of Harvey Milk the first openly gay person eleceted to a major office. Another great flick. The original footage and news reports blended so well with the actual film it was very hard to tell the difference between the two. I still have to figure out who Anita Bryant is and how she held so much sway. 8.5/10

Religulous - This rounds out the anti-conservative trifecta. Bill Maher discusses religion with several people of differing faiths. I thought it was a pretty good flick but the faithful might not be so entertained. 8.0/10

qimissung
06-23-2009, 08:48 PM
I had forgotten Anita Bryant. She is a 50's beauty queen, I forget her stance, exactly, but she was against something, very conservative.

qimissung
06-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Spoiler
Thanks, Janine; I'm getting ready to go out of town, but I will check youtube when I get back I love Extra Features.

I'm glad you enjoyed the reading material. I myself will have to read further on Treschov. He was the one who hatched the plan, and I think they deliberately changed that in the movie since they were already focusing on Cruise's character. I found it a very touching scene. In fact I wish they had made his part a little bigger; I guess they felt they had to be careful about focusing on too many characters, but it is a little harsh that his character got so little credit. I, too, want to know how he died. They showed how the others did in a fairly accurate way; now I wonder if they changed anything else about his character.

Janine
06-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Spoiler
Thanks, Janine; I'm getting ready to go out of town, but I will check youtube when I get back I love Extra Features.

Oh,gimissung, have a great time wherever you are headed.

I love the Extra Features, too. I just eat them up. I usually end up watching more those than the actual movie. One learns so much. I watched a date chic sort of flick last night; it was so-so, but the extras were better. They showed how they filmed in very frigid weather in Winnipeg, Canada. One of the days it was 46 below. I don't know how people deal with that cold a temperature. I would die. You have to hand it to the actors having gone through that. They all kept saying 'it was really really cold'...it was neat learning about Winnipeg. My former dentist was from there. Now I know why he didn't want to move back...brrrr....

I'm glad you enjoyed the reading material. I myself will have to read further on Treschov. He was the one who hatched the plan, and I think they deliberately changed that in the movie since they were already focusing on Cruise's character. I found it a very touching scene. In fact I wish they had made his part a little bigger; I guess they felt they had to be careful about focusing on too many characters, but it is a little harsh that his character got so little credit. I, too, want to know how he died. They showed how the others did in a fairly accurate way; now I wonder if they changed anything else about his character. I was going to do that, too...dig up more on Treschov, probably since Ken Branagh played that character; I have a weakness for Ken. Ok, I am now thinking Treschov did change the Valkyrie directive; he altered the text. I guess it implied in the film, that the original idea did come from Stauffenberg; who knows, perhaps it did; Wikipedia is not always accurate either. It might be something to look into further and investigate. I would have liked Ken to have a little larger role, but the screen time he had, I thought was superb. That beginning scene, with the undetonated bomb in the case, was really tense when he had to go and get a presumed bottle of port or wine. The looks between the two men were priceless...very well nuanced. I had seen that on Youtube and it made me want to see the film. I think bringing Ken back at the end was just the right touch and just the right amount of screen time, to create a really fine moment of impact, driving home the whole idea of the resistence and the assination plot, not being futile is further conveyed to the audience. I really liked the way that scene was shot. According to Wikipedia, two articles, he did really die that way and probably in a forest like that. I can't imagine it. It was a first, for me to see on the screen, which made it have even more impact personally. Also, they cut at the right time to the other executions, perfect. One's own imaginings are better than showing too much detail. I liked that about the end.

rtc143
06-23-2009, 11:09 PM
UP haha totally amazing!

Mark F.
06-24-2009, 01:47 PM
A Bay of Blood - Mario Bava

Probably the most influential giallo on the slasher genre. The killing is cynical at best, none of that psychological nonsense. The cinematography is beautiful, second only to Blood and Black Lace.

The Saddest Music in the World - Guy Maddin

Maddin's most audience friendly work still has a lot of complexe poetic imagery. Maria De Medeiros' nymphmaniac and Isabella Rossellini's legless beer mogul are great characters.

amarna
06-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Welcome to the Land of Shtis, a very hilarious French comedy. 11/10.

Here's the trailer, biloutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZpkYcIYlDc&feature=fvw

Janine
06-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Fidler on the Roof ~ Topol and many others...some to go onto further stardom.

This musical is still great after all those years! I loved every minute of this fine film...definitely a 10/10!!!

Now, I need the soundtrack on CD!

1n50mn14
06-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Fanboys
5/10
It had it's moments, and the ending was hilarious.

Buh4Bee
06-26-2009, 12:25 PM
I am Legend with Will Smith. I actually like it and was slightly impressed by the philosophical/religious twist at the end. Overall, a good movie to rent on Netflicks for a Friday night when you feel like being brain dead and entertained.

Janine
06-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Sweeney Todd ~ Tim Burton

....ahem....what can I say....quite different and very very bloody. It got to be laughable after awhile, because the blood to me, did look rather unreal. Let's just say it's a very dark movie and quite violent. I watched some interviews on the DVD and Burton intended it to be fashioned after the old horror film genre, but set to music; I did like that there was very little talking or dialogue; made it like a rock opera in some ways. I also thought that made the film flow well. It had it it's humorous parts too, like Helena Bohame Carter smashing the bugs in her pastry shop. That stuck me as funny. I am not big on old horror films at all personally, so I sort of found the blood bath a bit disgusting, but since they most times did look fake they didn't creep me out too much. I know it's a well done film; photographed really fine. I am positive I won't watch the film again. It's not too much to my taste, but I recognise the genius in the film and score. I can see why it was acclaimed. Johnny Depp's performance was excellent. So was Helena Bohame Carter. I like both stars emensely. If it wasn't for them in the film I would not have watched it. I can't bring myself to score this in terms of numbers. You have to see it for yourself. I thought, after all this time, I should get up my courage to watch it. I don't regret that, but it didn't really fit my own taste in musicals. The ending, I actually liked a lot. I found the film very tragic at that point.

1n50mn14
06-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Sweeny Todd ~ Tim Burton

....ahem....what can I say....quite different and very very bloody. It got to be laughable after awhile, because the blood to me, did look rather unreal. Let's just say it's a very dark movie and quite violent. I watched some interviews on the DVD and Burton intended it to be fashioned after the old horror film genre, but set to music; I did like that there was very little talking or dialogue; made it like a rock opera in some ways. I also thought that made the film flow well. It had it it's humorous parts too, like Helena Bohame Carter smashing the bugs in her pastry shop. That stuck me as funny. I am not big on old horror films at all personally, so I sort of found the blood bath a bit disgusting, but since they most times did look fake they didn't creep me out too much. I know it's a well done film; photographed really fine. I am positive I won't watch the film again. It's not too much to my taste, but I recognise the genius in the film and score. I can see why it was acclaimed. Johnny Depp's performance was excellent. So was Helena Bohame Carter. I like both stars emensely. If it wasn't for them in the film I would not have watched it. I can't bring myself to score this in terms of numbers. You have to see it for yourself. I thought, after all this time, I should get up my courage to watch it. I don't regret that, but it didn't really fit my own taste in musicals. The ending, I actually liked a lot. I found the film very tragic at that point.

I was incredibly disappointed with Sweeney Todd. Most of my friends and I agree that Burton didn't live up to his old style and flair, and the expectations we had for him. The movie bored me, frankly, and the costuming and filmography just didn't do it for me... and the songs were AWFUL, but I don't like musicals in the first place, so what can we expect...:rolleyes:

Lynne50
06-26-2009, 04:21 PM
I didn't see the film, but I would imagine the songs would be the same as the Broadway musical. If I'm not mistaken, I think Sweeney Todd won Best Musical a few years ago.
I already knew the story, that was one reason Janine did not invite me to watch it with her. I'm very squeamish.

Buh4Bee
06-26-2009, 04:27 PM
I also saw this movie and was quite disappoint at first, because I wasn't aware of the Broadway connection or the fact that it was a musical. Once Johnny started to sing, my heart melted. I couldn't believe he can sing too. Beside that fact, I think is was a well done film.

Janine
06-26-2009, 06:19 PM
I was incredibly disappointed with Sweeney Todd. Most of my friends and I agree that Burton didn't live up to his old style and flair, and the expectations we had for him. The movie bored me, frankly, and the costuming and filmography just didn't do it for me... and the songs were AWFUL, but I don't like musicals in the first place, so what can we expect...:rolleyes:

Yeah...you know, Becca, I think you are right. I think I was disappointed, also. I could not put my finger quite on the reason why, but today I was thinking about the fact, that the violence did not seem to phase me really; I didn't feel anything. It seemed a bit ridiculous, a man tenderly singing to his daugher as he is slitting throats and throwing the bodies casually down a trap door shoot. I thought Johnny Depp's voice was better than I imagined; it was ok in some scenes and better in others though. He did do an amirable job of the singing. Personally, I thought Helena Bohame Carter's voice was just ok; it was a little weak at times, but did not distract. I think the excess of all that blood made the film feel ridiculous to me. Sometimes less is more. I thought this film went 'over- the-top' and so it didn't feel real in emotional impact and that disappointed me. The scene where Sweeney finally kills the judge was awful. I expected it to be way better. It should have really built up to that scene. That was his showdown with evil.

I expected to get a lot of slack from everyone, about not truly liking this film; I am surprised to hear the contrary.

Could someone also tell me something? Why did Helena take that cute young boy (by the way, I thought his voice the best of all) down in the basement to run the furnace and the meat grinder? Wouldn't he see the bodies dropping on the floor as well, and give the whole thing away? I was confused about that part. I also was confused as to why there was so much blood exiting a neck and then shortly after only a small area of blood was detected on Sweeney Todd's sleeve. Also, he cleaned up the bloody floor pretty fast, if you ask me. Another thing I wondered about. is why no one came under suspicion with the law. People went into the shop and never came out; lots of people/lots of victims. Weren't they missed in the real world? I guess the whole thing is not suppose to be anyway realistic. It certainly wasn't, that's for sure. I wasn't so bored but I thought some parts were just plain silly.

Quote by Lynne

I didn't see the film, but I would imagine the songs would be the same as the Broadway musical. If I'm not mistaken, I think Sweeney Todd won Best Musical a few years ago.
I already knew the story, that was one reason Janine did not invite me to watch it with her. I'm very squeamish.

I did show you the film last night. I definitely know that you're squeamish; you winced when I pulled it out of my library bag; you definitely could not stomach this film; so never ever watch this film unless you get a lot braver about blood. Lynne, actually on the Extra Features it was brought out that originally, the play was staged in London and it was not liked at all. Then later, it went on to become popular. I think it did win awards as a stage play. The music was fine. I would not call it the most outstanding music from a musical, but maybe one has to really love Sondheim's work. I have some songs I like and some not at all. This was a mix for me.

Oh a happier note, I got "The Strange Case of Benjamin Button" from my library to watch this weekend.

Quote by Jersea

I also saw this movie and was quite disappoint at first, because I wasn't aware of the Broadway connection or the fact that it was a musical. Once Johnny started to sing, my heart melted. I couldn't believe he can sing too. Beside that fact, I think is was a well done film.

Jersea, I liked JD's singing fine and at times engaging, I agree. I didn't have any qualms about any of the singing, the set design, the artistry of the film. I can't dispute that it was well done. I think it was just the whole concept of this film, that I wasn't really fully able to get into. The movie flows well, from scene to scene, and it went by pretty quickly, as well. I didn't feel so much bored as appalled at the violence, or the way it was presented, because it got so exessive. Like I said before, "less can be more" sometimes. I think showing less would have made it more interesting and created more tension and more intrigue....it actually would have made it more horrifying. I think Burton chose to show too much of the horror. He needs to watch some Hitchcock and see how 'suggestion' can be more effective. Of course, all this is just my own personal opinion.

grace86
06-26-2009, 08:18 PM
I didn't care for Sweeney Todd at all. Unless Burton was going for the audience to be sort of desensitized by the all the gore and blood...he over did it I think. He may very well have wanted the audience to realize the grotesqueness of being desensitized to the murder and slice and dicing and eating people...which only made me nauseous at the thought afterwards.

medusa_woman
06-26-2009, 09:08 PM
I saw Angela's Ashes last night. I read the book a few years ago and, despite the subject matter, I thought it was one of the funniest books I ever read. I liked the movie, but the humor didn't come across as well.

Janine
06-26-2009, 11:28 PM
I saw Angela's Ashes last night. I read the book a few years ago and, despite the subject matter, I thought it was one of the funniest books I ever read. I liked the movie, but the humor didn't come across as well.

medusa_woman, I haven't read the book, but I know others who have and said it's very, very sad. I loved the movie. It also was sad, but you are right - there were some very funny moments in it. I loved when the little boy had mistaken one biblical line and now I can't recall exactly what he said; but it was hilarious. I think it was something about the holy ghost. Did he said holy toast? I am doubtful that was it; been awhile since I saw it last. I have seen it a couple of times. It's always good. I just know the line was just so cute. The movie also was so well acted. Who can beat the actors who played the parents? They were great. Emily Watson has long been a favorite of mine. Carlyle is a fantastic actor and he played the drunken father incredibly well. I think most people would identify him with "Train Spotting". I found his performance in "End of All Wars" totally dynamic and heartbreaking, too. It's a great movie, also.

Grace, I totally agree with what you wrote. I had to actually get the DVD out of my house and back to the library today. I felt like the DVD itself was covered in blood. I felt disgusted just looking at the jacket. I admit it certainly was not my type of movie. I am beginning to think I like old films best. Lately I have been so disappointed in films from last year. I am going to watch the 'Benjamin Button' film now and will let you all know what I think later on.

GothMan
06-29-2009, 10:34 AM
I tried to watch "Unforgiven" last night but I wasn't able to finish it 'cause it was boring...

Tyth
06-29-2009, 11:09 AM
I saw "Transformers 2". What can I say...more transformers, more explosions, more stupidity. I'd expected something like the first film, but nevertheless facepalmed. Michael Bay, stay on course! For the greatest justice and brave US army!

applepie
06-29-2009, 11:20 AM
I saw "Transformers 2". What can I say...more transformers, more explosions, more stupidity. I'd expected something like the first film, but nevertheless facepalmed. Michael Bay, stay on course! For the greatest justice and brave US army!

I just saw it too, and I was pretty pleased. Mind you I don't have high expectations for action films and a simple good vs evil plot tends to do it just fine for me... especially when you mix in some hot looking cars, planes, and cool explosions:D I'm such a non girl in that as I love things where stuff just gets blown up. I can say my husband, who has served on an aircraft carrier, was very pleased with the plane/carrier sequences. All in all, I think if you liked the first, then you will like this as well. I don't think the plot was any worse or better, and I think the development of plot and characters was similar.

Tyth
06-29-2009, 11:46 AM
I just saw it too, and I was pretty pleased. Mind you I don't have high expectations for action films and a simple good vs evil plot tends to do it just fine for me... especially when you mix in some hot looking cars, planes, and cool explosions I'm such a non girl in that as I love things where stuff just gets blown up. I can say my husband, who has served on an aircraft carrier, was very pleased with the plane/carrier sequences. All in all, I think if you liked the first, then you will like this as well. I don't think the plot was any worse or better, and I think the development of plot and characters was similar.
I'm really tired of simple "good vs evil" films and saw this one to estimate "film of the year". I like mecha, but there was nothing to watch except battle scenes. May be I was too sceptical, what I saw was only a set of cliches I'd seen before.
Sure, for transformers fans that doesn't matter at all.

*Classic*Charm*
06-29-2009, 08:30 PM
I started watching Dracula last night with high hopes because it stars my favourite actor and one of my lesser favourites, Anthony Hopkins and Gary Oldman and is directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

I had to stop part way through- I just wasn't in the right mood I guess. The costuming and blatantly sexual everything were irritating.

Janine
06-29-2009, 09:42 PM
I started watching Dracula last night with high hopes because it stars my favourite actor and one of my lesser favourites, Anthony Hopkins and Gary Oldman and is directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

I had to stop part way through- I just wasn't in the right mood I guess. The costuming and blatantly sexual everything were irritating.

*Classic* - it's not just you. I found that movie irritating myself. Isn't Keena Reeves (sp?) in it, also? I just recall those outlandish outfits for Dracula. I love Oldman and Hopkins too, but these were not their finest moments. I saw the film years ago with my son when it first came up for rental; but I was not too impressed actually. I found the Extra Features actually more interesting than the film. I just got totally bored with the film after awhile....too silly and some of the acting was just plain laughable.

*Classic*Charm*
06-29-2009, 09:51 PM
*Classic* - it's not just you. I found that movie irritating myself. Isn't Keena Reeves (sp?) in it, also? I just recall those outlandish outfits for Dracula. I love Oldman and Hopkins too, but these were not their finest moments. I saw the film years ago with my son when it first came up for rental; but I was not too impressed actually. I found the Extra Features actually more interesting than the film. I just got totally bored with the film after awhile....too silly and some of the acting was just plain laughable.

Oh my goodness, Jeanu Reeves is just TERRIBLE. He's just a bad, bad actor who doesn't even warrant mention haha. Yeah, I was just really unimpressed and disappointed. Maybe I'll try again sometime? I don't know...I didn't even watch the special features!

Joreads
06-29-2009, 10:35 PM

I am a big Vampire Fan you know that - I could not stand this movie either.

Janine
06-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Oh my goodness, Jeanu Reeves is just TERRIBLE. He's just a bad, bad actor who doesn't even warrant mention haha. Yeah, I was just really unimpressed and disappointed. Maybe I'll try again sometime? I don't know...I didn't even watch the special features!

Joreads and *Classic*, you both seem to have good taste in movies. I agree with both of you in your disappointment with this one. It just seemed so corny to me. I don't recall much about it; only two things stood out after all these years - firstly, Jeanu Reeves was just dreadful! You are right *Classic* he cannot act, period. He's the weakest actor in Kenneth Branagh's fine film "Much Ado About Nothing"; I winch ever time I see that performance. It's totally flat. Barring his role and Michael Keaton's as crazy Dogberry, it would have been a 10/10 film for me. I still don't know why Branagh chose those two for such key roles. But back to this film; the second thing that stood out to me and I recall is the stupid way Dracula crept up and down the walls of the castle, like some strange alien or insect. What the heck was that all about? I don't think that was in the original book, was it? I am yet to read the book; I think that's partly because the movie turned me off to the story, which is a darn shame. Afterall, I am sure it's a terrific novel.

Joreads
06-30-2009, 12:32 AM
Joreads and *Classic*, you both seem to have good taste in movies. I agree with both of you in your disappointment with this one. It just seemed so corny to me. I don't recall much about it; only two things stood out after all these years - firstly, Jeanu Reeves was just dreadful! You are right *Classic* he cannot act, period. He's the weakest actor in Kenneth Branagh's fine film "Much Ado About Nothing"; I winch ever time I see that performance. It's totally flat. Barring his role and Michael Keaton's as crazy Dogberry, it would have been a 10/10 film for me. I still don't know why Branagh chose those two for such key roles. But back to this film; the second thing that stood out to me and I recall is the stupid way Dracula crept up and down the walls of the castle, like some strange alien or insect. What the heck was that all about? I don't think that was in the original book, was it? I am yet to read the book; I think that's partly because the movie turned me off to the story, which is a darn shame. Afterall, I am sure it's a terrific novel.

Janine it has been a while since I read the novel but I seem to recall he did crawl up and down the walls I cannot remember how it was described in the book though. I will have to dust it off and have a look.

billl
06-30-2009, 01:21 AM
...Keanu Reeves was just dreadful! You are right *Classic* he cannot act, period. He's the weakest actor in Kenneth Branagh's fine film "Much Ado About Nothing"; I winch ever time I see that performance. It's totally flat. Barring his role and Michael Keaton's as crazy Dogberry, it would have been a 10/10 film for me. I still don't know why Branagh chose those two for such key roles.

Hi Janine! I was just checking recent posts, and saw you go off on a tangent about Much Ado. I can't remember Dracula too well--just the brief Absinthe commercial in the middle somewhere (it looked like a commercial to me, anyhow). But Branagh's "Much Ado About Nothing" is one of my top 5 favorite films of all time.

I read or saw on a program somewhere somebody saying how great it was that the bad-guy (Keanu) was disposed of swiftly and effortlessly, an event of little consequence. I think it might've been a PBS analysis during a pledge-drive break, or something at the end of a VHS tape, I don't know... At the time, I just said to myself, "Yeah, that's cool." All the drama was about the couples, and I had worn a smile the whole way through. "Much Ado About Nothing!" Anyhow, I had an ex-girlfriend that loved Keanu, so I had been happy to see him out of the picture after some brief "handsome" struggle against justice. And then that analysis left me thinking it had all been an example of the Bard's brilliance.

I later checked into things, read the whole play, etc., and it turned out the bad-guy had a bit bigger role in the original script/play as written by Shakespeare, so I guess you're right to be disappointed in Keanu's role, especially if you're a big fan of the play. But it might be Branagh's fault too, a bit. I think he might've had less to work with than a stage actor would. Aww, what am I saying--that's crazy of me, defending Keanu!

Regarding Michael Keaton, I had thought he was gonna work out much worse, so I made it through those scenes almost feeling a sense of relief.

Well, that's the story of why I give it a 10/10.

Janine
06-30-2009, 02:44 AM
Hi Janine! I was just checking recent posts, and saw you go off on a tangent about Much Ado. I can't remember Dracula too well--just the brief Absinthe commercial in the middle somewhere (it looked like a commercial to me, anyhow). But Branagh's "Much Ado About Nothing" is one of my top 5 favorite films of all time.

I read or saw on a program somewhere somebody saying how great it was that the bad-guy (Keanu) was disposed of swiftly and effortlessly, an event of little consequence. I think it might've been a PBS analysis during a pledge-drive break, or something at the end of a VHS tape, I don't know... At the time, I just said to myself, "Yeah, that's cool." All the drama was about the couples, and I had worn a smile the whole way through. "Much Ado About Nothing!" Anyhow, I had an ex-girlfriend that loved Keanu, so I had been happy to see him out of the picture after some brief "handsome" struggle against justice. And then that analysis left me thinking it had all been an example of the Bard's brilliance.

I later checked into things, read the whole play, etc., and it turned out the bad-guy had a bit bigger role in the original script/play as written by Shakespeare, so I guess you're right to be disappointed in Keanu's role, especially if you're a big fan of the play. But it might be Branagh's fault too, a bit. I think he might've had less to work with than a stage actor would. Aww, what am I saying--that's crazy of me, defending Keanu!

Regarding Michael Keaton, I had thought he was gonna work out much worse, so I made it through those scenes almost feeling a sense of relief.

Well, that's the story of why I give it a 10/10.

Hahah,...billl..... I really enjoyed your comments here. The reason being is that I am a huge Branagh fan. I hardly ever will fault him for a thing. Normally, I will overlook his flaws; not his acting ones, 'cause I don't think there are any! haha...just kidding, no one is perfect and it's true of Branagh, too. I have winced once or twice in a performance moment, but it's rate. He may have listened to his casting director as to who to pick for the various roles; it may not even be his complete fault choosing Reeves.

I own nearly all of KB films. In fact, last night I watched the most excellent production by the BBC of Ibsen's Ghosts. I have seen it a number of times by now. For your information, I adore Much Ado About Nothing also, and I have seen it dozens of times! I watch all my KB films at least 10 times, some much more. I am a bit obsessed! hahah. If MAAN put a smile on your face, have you seen his musical version of Love's Labour's Lost? I think I had a smile on my face the entire time I viewed that film. I just love it! It's such a frothy, fun movie....very witty and a beautifully artistic; it's mostly staged and one feels the excitement/fun the actors had in making this film. I love the Extras, too. I even watch those over again each time I repeat the film. It's not long at all so it flies by quickly (too quickly). I usually watch it after something super depressing to cheer myself up. It does the trick!

Well, it might be a good thing to exit Keanu's as soon as one can. His first lines were really stiff and deadpan. I was winching and hoping the whole time he had only a tiny part. He's cute and that's his strength. He is not good at Shakespeare. I just didn't expect to see Michael Keaton on the set at all so it was a bit of a shock. I suffered through his nonsense, too. I guess Ken likes his humor but I felt it was pretty over-the-top. Still all in all I give the film just under a 10/10 too. I would say 9.9/10....how's that revised rating. I think Ken's performance in it was impecable. The majority of the supporting case as well. It's a totally fun and romantic film.

billl
06-30-2009, 03:05 AM
@ Janine--Branagh's Much Ado is an example of something that sometimes happens to me: if I really enjoy something, I sometimes delay enjoying the next installment, save it for later. I don't know if I'm worried that they'll be different and somehow (illogically) spoil the perfection, or if I just like having plenty of good stuff to look forward to, or if (in this particular case) I just didn't want to see the movies in the theater, and then I forgot about them once the hype died down, or what. Anyhow, I haven't seen any of his other Shakespeare films, but I have been wanting to for a long time (and I already know that that means I've missed some great stuff!). Thanks for the tip on the Ibsen and the Love's Labour Lost, though, those weren't on my radar at all.

manolia
06-30-2009, 04:00 AM

Oh i love this movie :)
It is a bad adaptation of the book but somehow i didn't much care (and i am a fan of Stoker's dracula :)).
I have seen it more than 10 times. Ok i can't really say why i like it so much..i guess it's the artistic aspects, the music(one of my favorite soundtracks) and Gary (whom i love).
Give it another try :) (it has Gary talking transilvanian :-)))))))))

Mark F.
06-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Coppola's Dracula is great, it's a very personal adaptation of the novel but the take on storytelling is interesting.

grace86
06-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Hey Janine did you enjoy Benjamin Button? I'm curious to know what you thought about it. I enjoyed it but I admit it was quite a bit to wrap my head around! Let me know!

Mr Endon
06-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Oh i love this movie :)

Coppola's Dracula is great, it's a very personal adaptation of the novel but the take on storytelling is interesting.

I agree.

I had to watch some Dracula adaptations for an assignment, and I thought Coppola's version was quite accomplished - much, much better than Tod Browning's 1930 version, which was absolutely dreadful. I found Van Helsing's ambiguity in Coppola's film very interesting indeed. Keanu Reeves was his usual self (even a shoe is a better actor than him), but Oldman and Hopkins were great.

As for the sexual elements: I fully support their explicit presence. Vampires are meant to play with our fascination for unrestrained violence and sexuality, so why not be honest about it ;)

Janine
06-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Hey Janine did you enjoy Benjamin Button? I'm curious to know what you thought about it. I enjoyed it but I admit it was quite a bit to wrap my head around! Let me know!

Grace, I can't write much now; but first thing, is my impression that the film was way too long and cumbersome, also. I think parts were good, but then it began to annoy me. It was predictable and I found the frame story format, one I am not too keen on to begin with. This type 'frame' reminded me immediately of Big Fish; if you have seen that film, you will know what I mean: dying mother, reminescing about her secret past, mother/daughter strained relationship. As to if I really liked this movie, I would have to accumulatively say "not really". You are not the only one who had trouble getting it to all gel. I thought it didn't have enough of a climax; was there actually ever one, if you think about it? I found that disappointing. Yeah, the photography and the effects were pretty amazing, but one can't give a film credit, unless it had some deep substance; it had a deeper idea but not sure the film makers imparted it totally to the audience - something was missing. I liked the idea very much or a man aging backwards, but just felt they missed the boat on it in some respects. Still not specifically sure why. Here may be somethings, personally, I thought were disappointing. I love and admire Cate Blanchett as an actress, but I didn't particularly warm up to her character in this film; I even thought her a little heartless old lady at times. She may have been lovely towards here ex-lover's memory, Benjamin, but she sure did miss out with her very alive daughter. When the daughter showed real anger (understandable) and confusion, the mother never truly reached out to her to amend things; the mother never really showed much true tenderness, if any, towards her daughter. Even in the film I felt her character seemed a bit selfish and self absorbed. Not sure I liked her at all. This part bugged me right away. I felt the ending left me hanging as far as their relationship was concerned. I can't write anymore now.

I am curious to know what you thought of it also. I would not rewatch this film. It would be too much to suffer through 3 hours again! Too long!!!

PS: I know, I have been really brutal lately to my critiques on the films from last year. Actually, only one I would watch again would be Valkyrie, which surprised me. At least the script was new and original. I didn't much like The Reader, another one with extensive prosthetics - I will get to why later on. I have been quite picky lately. Thankfully I have an old film to watch tonight - a Bogey film - The Big Sleep.

Janine
06-30-2009, 05:38 PM
@ Janine--Branagh's Much Ado is an example of something that sometimes happens to me: if I really enjoy something, I sometimes delay enjoying the next installment, save it for later. I don't know if I'm worried that they'll be different and somehow (illogically) spoil the perfection, or if I just like having plenty of good stuff to look forward to, or if (in this particular case) I just didn't want to see the movies in the theater, and then I forgot about them once the hype died down, or what. Anyhow, I haven't seen any of his other Shakespeare films, but I have been wanting to for a long time (and I already know that that means I've missed some great stuff!). Thanks for the tip on the Ibsen and the Love's Labour Lost, though, those weren't on my radar at all.

Hi again billl, you might want to check out his other films such as Henry V, Othello, Hamlet. They all are excellent. I am still of the belief that his Henry V is a perfect film. Your theory is not too illogical, not the way you presented it; but it may prevent you from discovering some other really fine films. Love's Labours Lost was far from a box office success but I think it's a really quirpy, funny and stylish little film well worth your viewing. I rented it at first but since then purchased my own copy; it's so entertaining I watch it often as I do with Much Ado. If you are interested in the actor/director Kenneth Branagh you might want to join our social group Kenneth's Friends. We could use some members. Now one recently has been too active in there. I see to be talking to myself in my last few postings. You can get a lot more information from reading the posts in there.

1n50mn14
06-30-2009, 08:39 PM
I last re-watched Almost Famous.

Almost Famous is probably my favorite movie of all time.

It gets a big 100/10 from me.

1n50mn14
06-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Oh yeah! I also saw Wristcutters, with the boy from Almost Famous... it gets a 15/10, for it's fantastic cast and soundtrack! The singer from Gogol Bordello, the guy from Almost Famous, and the ever infamous Tom Waits xD.

Janine
06-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Oh yeah! I also saw Wristcutters, with the boy from Almost Famous... it gets a 15/10, for it's fantastic cast and soundtrack! The singer from Gogol Bordello, the guy from Almost Famous, and the ever infamous Tom Waits xD.

Wow, Becca, you mean your generation is into Tom Waits? I remember him from way back. I had a friend who loved his stuff. I think with Youtube, these groups and singers never get stale or go out of style. I've been on the exploring a group I liked in the mid 70's. Now I am finding all kinds of stuff out about the group and the original group. I am even getting to be a groupie in there! I have to laugh at myself.

1n50mn14
06-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Wow, Becca, you mean your generation is into Tom Waits? I remember him from way back. I had a friend who loved his stuff. I think with Youtube, these groups and singers never get stale or go out of style. I've been on the exploring a group I liked in the mid 70's. Now I am finding all kinds of stuff out about the group and the original group. I am even getting to be a groupie in there! I have to laugh at myself.

Haha. I wouldn't say 'my generation', but a lot of my friends are into Tom Waits. Also remember I grew up surrounded by musicians, so I have vast exposure! ;). I think it's neat that you can find out more about an older group. The magic of the internet! Everybody can be immortal.

Janine
06-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Haha. I wouldn't say 'my generation', but a lot of my friends are into Tom Waits. Also remember I grew up surrounded by musicians, so I have vast exposure! ;). I think it's neat that you can find out more about an older group. The magic of the internet! Everybody can be immortal.

It is so true about everyone being immortal these days. They can even perserve their youth when they are old rockers looking pretty gray and haggard. One still sees them cumulatively; it's a whole new experience. I am even networking with others on Youtube who send me rare concert clips and also ones for movies or TV production for actors. It never fails to delight and amaze me. I am loving it on Youtube. Do you have a channel page on there, Becca? I didn't know till recently one could have a personal page, even if you don't create videos. It's so totally entertaining and already I have saved a lot of videos in playlists.

Becca, how cool that you grew up with a broad knowledge and exposure to music. I all for being versatile. Good for you!

Mathor
07-01-2009, 02:58 AM
Transformers 2: Revenge of The Fallen

0/10. I've never seen a worse film, truly. And the thing is the original was done so cleverly and was so entertaining. This will go down in history years from now as the worst movie ever made.

amarna
07-01-2009, 03:09 AM
Beverly Hills Spy Transformer Chihuahuas at High School 2, and it was great! Hehe, just kidding. I saw the first Part of Che by Stephen Soderbergh with Benicio del Toro as Che Guevara and I liked this film very much for it seemed to be very authentic and unadorned. 10/10

Mathor
07-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Beverly Hills Spy Transformer Chihuahuas at High School 2, and it was great! Hehe, just kidding. I saw the first Part of Che by Stephen Soderbergh with Benicio del Toro as Che Guevara and I liked this film very much for it seemed to be very authentic and unadorned. 10/10

Che is soooo good! My friend got me to see it, and at first I didn't know what to think of it, but it's really well-acted.

*Classic*Charm*
07-02-2009, 01:30 AM
I agree.

I had to watch some Dracula adaptations for an assignment, and I thought Coppola's version was quite accomplished - much, much better than Tod Browning's 1930 version, which was absolutely dreadful. I found Van Helsing's ambiguity in Coppola's film very interesting indeed. Keanu Reeves was his usual self (even a shoe is a better actor than him), but Oldman and Hopkins were great.

As for the sexual elements: I fully support their explicit presence. Vampires are meant to play with our fascination for unrestrained violence and sexuality, so why not be honest about it ;)

Interesting that so many of you liked it so much! I will definitely give it another try at some point, but Keanu just kills more brain cells with every minute of screen-time. As I said, I was expecting a lot from Coppola with Hopkins and Oldman in it.

Maybe it's just my lack of knowledge of Vampire lore haha. It just threw me off: having blood sucked = orgasm. Really?! :sick:

Mathor
07-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Interesting that so many of you liked it so much! I will definitely give it another try at some point, but Keanu just kills more brain cells with every minute of screen-time. As I said, I was expecting a lot from Coppola with Hopkins and Oldman in it.

Maybe it's just my lack of knowledge of Vampire lore haha. It just threw me off: having blood sucked = orgasm. Really?! :sick:

I mentioned Transformers 2 being the worst movie of all time. Well, Keanu Reeves is certainly the worst actor of all time.

*Classic*Charm*
07-05-2009, 10:16 PM
I mentioned Transformers 2 being the worst movie of all time. Well, Keanu Reeves is certainly the worst actor of all time.

Yea, Keanu isn't even worth being called an actor.

But no, Phone Booth what definitely the worst film of all time.

Janine
07-06-2009, 01:07 AM
Yea, Keanu isn't even worth being called an actor.

But no, Phone Booth what definitely the worst film of all time.

Hey, *Classic*, I think I saw Phone Booth. Is that the film that completely takes place within a phone booth? If so, it was different.:goof:

The other night I thought of you, since I saw an Anthony Hopkins film, Meet Joe Black. I wondered what you thought of the film. I rather liked it although I could see some flaws. I still like the idea and the acting was excellent, I thought. It's funny, it took me till now to finally see that film. I guess eventually I will have to see Silence of the Lambs. I watched Sweeney Todd, so now I am sure I can deal with SOTL.

PoeticPassions
07-06-2009, 03:52 AM
10,000 B.C: was the worst movie of all time... Keanu is one of the worst actors of all time... and haven't seen Transformers 2, but agree about Phone Booth. How awful!

Helga
07-06-2009, 05:08 AM
Burn After Reading. I am a big John Malkovich fan but I think this is the first time I have seen a movie with him that I didn't like. It was a big turn off for me to have Brad Pitt in it, I rarely like his movies. This one had potential I think but it just didn't fulfill it.

manolia
07-06-2009, 11:51 AM
"Public enemies" by M Mann and i liked it very much :nod:

Janine
07-06-2009, 03:00 PM
"Public enemies" by M Mann and i liked it very much :nod:

manolia, is that a remake? I heard of that title a long time ago and saw it recently advertized. Who is in it?

manolia, I think I owe you a profile message or maybe it's a pm. I will try to get to it later on. You must think me terrible if I neglected it. Things are difficult here.

Janine
07-06-2009, 03:03 PM
hahaha....we seem to all be in agreement on this one ...."Keanu Reeves is certainly the worst actor of all time"....I have thought so for sometime now. He's dreadful!

Last night I watched for about the 25th time Kenneth Branagh's beautiful film:

Hamlet

Thank God, Ken had the sense not to employ Keanu again for a role in his film. 'Much Ado' and his poor role as the villian was quite enough...thank heavens it was a short role. I suffered through his horrible delivery of the lines. Ken must have had off that day, or maybe one can't do a thing with Keanu playing Shakespeare.

Hamlet - what can I say, stunning! I know it's not perfect but I can overlook the flaws. One that sort of cracks me up at the end, when Hamlet dies, is that after all my viewings, I began to notice that his hand is in one position on the floor; then they pan away, a few minutes focus on Hamlet's body and his hand is in a different positon...more clenched and closer to his legs. I don't know, do corpses move? heheh.....

still all in all... this play and film fascinates me, because the complex character of Hamlet never ceases to fascinate me. Everytime I rewatch the film, I also have to watch the 'extras'. They're so entertaining.

The last couple minutes of the film are my favorites. I must love funnerals. I love the way the soldiers carry Hamlet 'like a soldier' to the stage. I love the ending with the outdoor funneral - the way it is shot is perfect. I love the contrast of black with the white snow. I love the song while the final credits run....In Pace. I usually go back and watch this part 2 or 3 times. I know, a bit obessive...but that is me.

manolia
07-07-2009, 06:55 AM
manolia, is that a remake? I heard of that title a long time ago and saw it recently advertized. Who is in it?

manolia, I think I owe you a profile message or maybe it's a pm. I will try to get to it later on. You must think me terrible if I neglected it. Things are difficult here.

Hmmmmmm...i don't know if it's a remake. I think it is based on a true story though. Johnny Depp and Christian Bale are in it :) :brow:
No worries about the pm..take your time, i know you have too many things to worry about ;) :)

Janine
07-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Hmmmmmm...i don't know if it's a remake. I think it is based on a true story though. Johnny Depp and Christian Bale are in it :) :brow:
No worries about the pm..take your time, i know you have too many things to worry about ;) :)

Now that I think of it, there was a stage play called Public Enemy, I beleive. I will have to do some further research on the matter.

Thanks for being so understanding, manolia. I will get a PM off to you as soon as I can. I miss our little conversations. Hope all is well with you.

mono
07-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Last night, a friend and I watched Hamlet 2 - a bit slapstick-humor for my taste, but it had its good parts, and had a relatively original plot with a save-the-arts theme that seemed very easy to understand, almost too easy. It really had some funny scenes, but little consistency or relevance in the humor, other than to make the movie watchable, or so I felt; even the serious parts of the film showed some greatness here-and-there, but, in terms of both direction and writing, the movie seemed much like itsy-bitsy plots combined into 90 minutes with emphasis upon nothing in depth. I would not call the film a waste of time, since it surely had something to say, but someone other than the writer and director could have written and directed it better. As to the acting - silly, great, twisted.
Rating: 6/10

papayahed
07-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Last night, a friend and I watched Hamlet 2 - a bit slapstick-humor for my taste, but it had its good parts, and had a relatively original plot with a save-the-arts theme that seemed very easy to understand, almost too easy. It really had some funny scenes, but little consistency or relevance in the humor, other than to make the movie watchable, or so I felt; even the serious parts of the film showed some greatness here-and-there, but, in terms of both direction and writing, the movie seemed much like itsy-bitsy plots combined into 90 minutes with emphasis upon nothing in depth. I would not call the film a waste of time, since it surely had something to say, but someone other than the writer and director could have written and directed it better. As to the acting - silly, great, twisted.
Rating: 6/10

I had such high hopes but I couldn't sit though the whole thing. I agree it could have been better.

Stargazer86
07-07-2009, 09:19 PM
10,000 B.C: was the worst movie of all time... Keanu is one of the worst actors of all time... and haven't seen Transformers 2, but agree about Phone Booth. How awful!

I've heard nothing but disappointingly bad things about 10,000BC so I've never bothered to see it. Shame because they could have made a really cool movie out of that. I wasn't aware that Keanu was in it...it all makes sense now :D

Last night I watched A History of Violence. The story line was pretty cool but a lot of what happened was a little to convenient. I get the Viggo's character was supposed to have been a bada** but he's mister top of the line kung fu and perfect timing. I don't know. After he'd killed several of the mobsters, I wondered why they didn't just pop him off? If he was so dangerous just shoot him and kill him. With all the stalking and the talking they were just asking for it. I understand that you're supposed to suspend your disbelief while watching a movie, but there are moments when it's difficult to do that.
And then there's the wife. I can't remember the actresses' name, but her acting was a bit choppy and sudden. She would have these strong reactions out of nowhere. She wasn't terribly believable.

All in all I'd give it a B. I wouldn't buy it but I would probably watch it again sometime in the future.

Janine
07-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Mono, what is Hamlet 2? I take it it's a comedy. I just watched a BBC set I bought of 4 plays called Shakespeare Retold. The best one on of the set, so far (haven't watched Macbeth yet), is Taming of the Shrew...I first saw it on Youtube and it's hilarious...it prompted me to buy the set, since you can't get this one without doing so. I had to own it. Rufus Sewell plays the lead and he appears at his wedding/the alter in drag. His outfit itself is totally worth viewing the film - he is outrageously funny! The woman playing opposite him, the part of Kate, is a total riot, as well. She is very little and petite and mades outrageous faces when she is mad, which is most of the time. He says she's not horrible, as her relatives have described her, but 'plucky'...the elevator scene is great! I watched Much Ado About Nothing and although I did find it amusing, it could not hold a candle to Ken Branagh's excellent version of the same play. It has some merit being a more modern version, but don't expect it to stick anywhere near the original storyline. It's hardly resembles the story at all.

There is a terrifically funny version of Hamlet which was directed by Kenneth Branagh, also written by him, nearly impossible to get a hold of though - only available on VHS or you can watch parts on Youtube - called In the Bleak Midwinter. It's really about a group of threater enthusisats trying to finance and put on the play by themselves. I saw some of it on Youtube and it's quite amusing. You might check it out, Mono.

There is also a very funny skit from Black Adder on Youtube of revisions to the "To be or not to be" speech. I will find the link and post it. It cracks me up everytime I see it. Hugh Laurie plays Will. Now, Hugh Laurie, in a long wig is enough to make one laugh.

Last night I watched A History of Violence. The story line was pretty cool but a lot of what happened was a little to convenient. I get the Viggo's character was supposed to have been a bada** but he's mister top of the line kung fu and perfect timing. I don't know. After he'd killed several of the mobsters, I wondered why they didn't just pop him off? If he was so dangerous just shoot him and kill him. With all the stalking and the talking they were just asking for it. I understand that you're supposed to suspend your disbelief while watching a movie, but there are moments when it's difficult to do that.
And then there's the wife. I can't remember the actresses' name, but her acting was a bit choppy and sudden. She would have these strong reactions out of nowhere. She wasn't terribly believable.

Stargazer, I saw this film awhile back; my library owns it. I recall thinking it was pretty good; but now that I think on it, quite honestly, I can't recall one detail about it - now, that is how memorable it was! I guess that tells the whole story. It certainly did not have any 'staying' power with me.

I liked the way you wrote this up. It's a very honest account of how you saw the film. Good for you. I would probably agree if only I could remember the story at all. I don't think I have any burning desire to see it again....haha...

mono
07-08-2009, 02:50 AM
Mono, what is Hamlet 2? I take it it's a comedy. I just watched a BBC set I bought of 4 plays called Shakespeare Retold. The best one on of the set, so far (haven't watched Macbeth yet), is Taming of the Shrew...I first saw it on Youtube and it's hilarious...it prompted me to buy the set, since you can't get this one without doing so. I had to own it. Rufus Sewell plays the lead and he appears at his wedding/the alter in drag. His outfit itself is totally worth viewing the film - he is outrageously funny! The woman playing opposite him, the part of Kate, is a total riot, as well. She is very little and petite and mades outrageous faces when she is mad, which is most of the time. He says she's not horrible, as her relatives have described her, but 'plucky'...the elevator scene is great! I watched Much Ado About Nothing and although I did find it amusing, it could not hold a candle to Ken Branagh's excellent version of the same play. It has some merit being a more modern version, but don't expect it to stick anywhere near the original storyline. It's hardly resembles the story at all.

There is a terrifically funny version of Hamlet which was directed by Kenneth Branagh, also written by him, nearly impossible to get a hold of though - only available on VHS or you can watch parts on Youtube - called In the Bleak Midwinter. It's really about a group of threater enthusisats trying to finance and put on the play by themselves. I saw some of it on Youtube and it's quite amusing. You might check it out, Mono.

There is also a very funny skit from Black Adder on Youtube of revisions to the "To be or not to be" speech. I will find the link and post it. It cracks me up everytime I see it. Hugh Laurie plays Will. Now, Hugh Laurie, in a long wig is enough to make one laugh.
Thanks for the suggestions, Janine - I will definitely have to do some research on the recommendations, for sure. Hamlet 2, to tell all honesty, has almost nothing to do with the epic Shakespeare play, and, to tell the honesty even more bluntly, seems nothing worth looking into as a film, but I do not consider myself a big fan of slapstick humor. It had its so-so parts that had me laughing, most definitely, and it had a "save the arts" message worth revering, but I felt a bit generous at giving it a 6/10 rating more for the purpose of its funny acting than writing or directing.
Thanks again, Janine - I wrote them all down. ;)

Janine
07-08-2009, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, Janine - I will definitely have to do some research on the recommendations, for sure. Hamlet 2, to tell all honesty, has almost nothing to do with the epic Shakespeare play, and, to tell the honesty even more bluntly, seems nothing worth looking into as a film, but I do not consider myself a big fan of slapstick humor. It had its so-so parts that had me laughing, most definitely, and it had a "save the arts" message worth revering, but I felt a bit generous at giving it a 6/10 rating more for the purpose of its funny acting than writing or directing.
Thanks again, Janine - I wrote them all down. ;)

Oh, good Mono, glad that helped. I think you could look them all up on Youtube, to see parts or even all of the film. I never saw the complete In the Bleak Midwinter, but it looked entertaining. It looks a bit crazy, but funny; it's all shot in b/w, which adds to it being theatrical and a independent and poor group of actors trying to put on a serous (?) play...:lol:. My favorites are the Branagh Much Ado About Nothing and the BBC version of Taming of the Shrew. In turn, I will have to check out this Hamlet 2 just for fun. I might find it just wacky enough to be interesting. I am not much for slapstick either but some parts may elicit some amusement. I love that skit by the Black Adder guy and Hugh Laurie - it has me in stitches everytime I watch it; especially how Hugh Laurie rolls his eyes. Funny to think of him now in the popular TV series of House. He's done a lot of humor in the past and he's very funny.

PoeticPassions
07-08-2009, 05:32 AM
[QUOTE=Stargazer86;747015]I've heard nothing but disappointingly bad things about 10,000BC so I've never bothered to see it. Shame because they could have made a really cool movie out of that. I wasn't aware that Keanu was in it...it all makes sense now :D
[QUOTE]

hahaha... I think that even if Keanu was in the movie it could not have been any worse... that says a lot.

Anyway, on Monday night I finally watched The Last King of Scotland. I give it a 7.5/10... I give it a higher score for the wonderful acting (Forest Whittaker really is teriffic), yet something was lacking in the movie... overall I found it to be a good movie but just cannot put my finger on what's missing. Perhaps it was the fact that it doesn't really address certain things (the white man coming to “save” Africa) or has some hollywood-esque sequences and was at times really predictable... or maybe because I found the character of Nicholas Garrigan kind of improbable/unbelievable. He does such stupid things in the movie, he risks everything for sex, and yet also seems so naive! But to such a fault that it seems highly unlikely.

DisPater
07-08-2009, 06:24 AM
Watchmen ---> started interesting, continued interesting, but after one hour the movie began to suck. ended horribly. the writers must burn in the eternal hell of amateur gay porn movies.

Duplicity ---> sucked. piece of garbage. Tony Gilroy directed "Michael Clayton". well, "Duplicity" is another "Michael.." but it has a different leading actor, ergo, Clive Owen; same narration, same technique, same plot twist.

The Hurt Locker ---> muuuuch muuuch better that I expected. great movie.

dodong
07-09-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm not really into movies these days...the last movie that i saw was Marly and Me...4.5/5...quite funny...quite moving...

Mathor
07-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Synecdoche, New York 9/10

I feel like it's one of the more brilliant movies released this year and it has one of my fav actors Philip Seymour Hoffmann and my fav screenwriter Charles Kaufman (Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind). This is kind of like every Kaufman film, it needs to be digested many times to be understood. I really like what i've seen, but I can't say 10/10 cause a lot of stuff in it legitimately disturbed me.

Beautifull
07-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Two Weeks Notice with Sandra Bullock and this other guy with a wacky accent. It was cute and funny...a great one for those protestors...

i'd give it a 10

Pryderi Agni
07-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Rise starring Lucy Liu and Michael Chiklis gets a 7/10 (Sorry, but after Queen of the Damned I've started to laugh at every other movie as a pale imitation)

Joreads
07-10-2009, 02:59 AM
The Secret Life of bees 4/5. This movie like the book had me crying almost from the start.

DisPater
07-11-2009, 01:55 AM
Valkyrie --- piece of garbage. a two hours boring one. OK, Tom Cruise wanted to wear a German uniform from World War Two, but it was really necessary to make a movie for that? It can be done in a photo shoot! stupid script. But, on the bright side, there is another movie about World War Two (released in 2008) which is much more crappier, Defiance. Comparing the two movies, Valkyrie is a masterpiece.

Mark F.
07-11-2009, 07:12 AM
The Set-Up - Robert Wise

Boxing movie/film-noir starring Robert Ryan. Very well shot and includes some very nice little touches like the conversation in the dressing room before the fight and the different members of the audience you follow through the main fight.

Where the Buffalo Roam - Art Linson

Bill Murray's portrayal of Hunter S. Thompson explores a darker side of the man than Depp's more recent effort, showing him as a nervous and tormented person. The film also concentrates more on Thompson's view of the world than on the psychedelic trip aspect.

Tyth
07-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Into the Wild. I was storing this movie for 2 months, afraid it would be an ordinary hollywood work. But I was wrong :) It is one of the most original and thoughtful things I saw this year. 9/10 hehe..should read the book now

Stargazer86
07-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Chaplin-
The life story of Charlie Chaplin. I've seen some of his movies but knew very little about the man aside from being a victim of the McCarthy madness and deported as a result.
Robert Downey Jr does an outstanding job of presenting Chaplin in a likable and realistic way. His physical comedy and mannerisms are so dead on with how Chaplin performed. He does it well and effortlessly. The movie made me very interested to look more into his life. My major critique would be that his 3rd wife in the film, although she was much younger than Chaplin, never ages in all the years that they're together. The only thing that changes are her clothing styles. While Downey Jr obviously has quite a bit of aging work done on him, this woman never acquires a wrinkle nor a grey hair.
My one other critique, though more minor, is that Downey Jr's eyes are so glassy and he looks so tired throughout the film, that for the first 10 minutes after he was on the screen we ended up discussing his drug habits as it appears he may have been using during the filming (based on his appearance alone...who knows though he could have just been really tired)
All in all, a very enjoyable and interesting movie. It's one that I may end up buying I'll give it 9/10

Janine
07-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Chaplin-
The life story of Charlie Chaplin. I've seen some of his movies but knew very little about the man aside from being a victim of the McCarthy madness and deported as a result.
Robert Downey Jr does an outstanding job of presenting Chaplin in a likable and realistic way. His physical comedy and mannerisms are so dead on with how Chaplin performed. He does it well and effortlessly. The movie made me very interested to look more into his life. My major critique would be that his 3rd wife in the film, although she was much younger than Chaplin, never ages in all the years that they're together. The only thing that changes are her clothing styles. While Downey Jr obviously has quite a bit of aging work done on him, this woman never acquires a wrinkle nor a grey hair.
My one other critique, though more minor, is that Downey Jr's eyes are so glassy and he looks so tired throughout the film, that for the first 10 minutes after he was on the screen we ended up discussing his drug habits as it appears he may have been using during the filming (based on his appearance alone...who knows though he could have just been really tired)
All in all, a very enjoyable and interesting movie. It's one that I may end up buying I'll give it 9/10

Star, I saw this movie awhile back and I loved it. I thought Robert Downing, Jr. did an incredible job portraying the legend. I love Charlie Chaplin films; so I found he captured the essense of the man, and like you, I really wanted to learn more about him after seeing this fine film. I think all you wrote above is well thought out and fair. I believe that Downing won the Oscar that year for his performance - well deserved, if he did!

Beautifull
07-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Knowing...9/10...it had nicholas cage in it...and he gave up his child in a split second...knowing that he was gonna die himself!!!!

Tyth
07-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Knowing...9/10...it had nicholas cage in it...and he gave up his child in a split second...knowing that he was gonna die himself!!!!
I saw it too, but don't really think there is something to 9\10. Too much cliches.
P.S. The alien ship was nice.

islandclimber
07-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Coffee and Cigarettes 8/10 a little strange and disconnected, but quite interesting...

Stargazer86
07-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Star, I saw this movie awhile back and I loved it. I thought Robert Downing, Jr. did an incredible job portraying the legend. I love Charlie Chaplin films; so I found he captured the essense of the man, and like you, I really wanted to learn more about him after seeing this fine film. I think all you wrote above is well thought out and fair. I believe that Downing won the Oscar that year for his performance - well deserved, if he did!

When I was younger I used to think of his films as just silly, but as I got older and after watching the movie, it gave me a lot more insight. I didnt know he won an award for it but I'm glad if he did as it was well deserved

You and I should get together and watch some movies as it seems we have similar taste in them!

TEND
07-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Into the Wild. I was storing this movie for 2 months, afraid it would be an ordinary hollywood work. But I was wrong :) It is one of the most original and thoughtful things I saw this year. 9/10 hehe..should read the book now

Such a fantastic movie. I can't remember the last time I've cried so much watching a movie. Thankfully I watched it alone. It made such an impact on me.

Page Turner
07-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Hula Girls ~ Sang-il-Lee (2006) When a small Northern Japanese mining town learns the mines will soon be closing a group of coal miners daughters decide to open a "little Hawaii" tourist attraction. They hire an outsider to teach the girls hula dancing and despite the fact that most of the town is slow to accept the changes that will take place, the girls are a hit. This is a heartwarming story that had me a little weepy eyed at the end. Highly recommend. 9/10

AmericanEagle
07-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Out of the Past. Great film noir.

8/10

eyemaker
07-14-2009, 12:02 AM
The First Night- 7/10
- a required film in our English Lit class.

Maryd.
07-14-2009, 10:20 AM
'The Year One' Ok I guess, but a little slow.

Just love to watch Jack Black... Soooo funny.

6/10

Little Mary

Mark F.
07-15-2009, 02:21 AM
La Teta asustada - Claudia Llosa

The story of a young peruvian woman, Fausta, who sticks a potato up her vagina from fear of being raped like her mother was in her youth. A powerful tale about the weight of our past and of tradition upon everyday life. Very good directing and acting.

mono
07-16-2009, 03:40 AM
Coffee and Cigarettes 8/10 a little strange and disconnected, but quite interesting...
"Strange and disconnected" seem good ways to describe it, I agree! I loved the dialogue between Iggy Pop and Tom Waits! :lol:

I just finished watching Valkyrie about an hour ago. Tom Cruise may have gotten quite these past years, but he can certainly still act - wow! The subject-matter sounded quite interesting from the first time I heard about it, based on a true story, about Nazi officials, particuarly Cruise's character, a colonel, in early-1940's World War II, attempting to assassinate Adolf Hitler. Valkyrie definitely had a few melodramatic parts, but I thought it a beautifully directed story, carefully pieced together, well acted in, and certainly worthy of its popularity.
Rating: 9.5/10.

bree
07-16-2009, 04:38 PM
I have just watched all the Harry Potter films and loved them all. I have not got around to reading the books yet but after seeing the films I think I will have to read them.

islandclimber
07-16-2009, 06:27 PM
"Strange and disconnected" seem good ways to describe it, I agree! I loved the dialogue between Iggy Pop and Tom Waits! :lol:

that's my favourite dialogue from the movie too.. so great.. I loved the Bill Rice and Taylor Mead conversation at the end too.. Champagne

Last night I watched Till Human Voices Wake Us.. I hadn't seen it in years.. I love it 9/10... so tragic and sad though... :bawling:

Niamh
07-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Ice Age 3D... was really good bar i thought the 3D kind of messed with my eyes a bit too much.

kratsayra
07-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I have just watched all the Harry Potter films and loved them all. I have not got around to reading the books yet but after seeing the films I think I will have to read them.

you watched them all? that's a lot of movies in a row!

Yesterday I saw Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I thought it was alright, but I didn't enjoy it as much as most of the other movies. (i've read all the books, but that's for another thread)

Janine
07-16-2009, 11:55 PM

I just finished watching Valkyrie about an hour ago. Tom Cruise may have gotten quite these past years, but he can certainly still act - wow! The subject-matter sounded quite interesting from the first time I heard about it, based on a true story, about Nazi officials, particuarly Cruise's character, a colonel, in early-1940's World War II, attempting to assassinate Adolf Hitler. Valkyrie definitely had a few melodramatic parts, but I thought it a beautifully directed story, carefully pieced together, well acted in, and certainly worthy of its popularity.

mono, I loved Valkyrie. I thought it was all your pointed out and more. I hope to buy the DVD soon, since I buy all Kenneth Branagh films, even though he did have a small, but significant role. I thought the film was very well done and kept my attention throughout, even though I knew the outcome ahead of time. The choice of cast was extraordinary - very fine actors and performances. It felt very real. Someone bashed the film a few pages back and I went into defense mode; but I refrained from answering them. I had written my own review, saying it was better than I imagined it would be. Glad you enjoyed it, too. Bryan Singer did a fine job directing. I would go with a 9.5/10, as well.

Themis
07-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Chocolat.

Rather good, maybe 8/10. My favourite character was the Count. I'd give the 8 because Johnny Depp's character was - although nicely played - dispensable. I didn't see why he had to be there.

Janine
07-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Chocolat.

Rather good, maybe 8/10. My favourite character was the Count. I'd give the 8 because Johnny Depp's character was - although nicely played - dispensable. I didn't see why he had to be there.

I love this film, Themis. My family owns it, so I can watch it anytime. I love the Count, too. I love the one scene of him in the window....terrific and so funny! I don't agree about Depp. His quiet demeanor and performance is just right and he has perfect chemistry with Juliette Binoche, who is always stunning. Judy Dench is always great, too. Ever see Binoche in The Widow of Saint-Pierre? I love that film, too. That is much more serious a movie than Chocolat. I would give it a higher rating considering it's a romantic/comedy. I find the film just perfect as it is. Hummm...think I need a piece of dark chocolate now...

DisPater
07-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Race to Witch Mountain ---> garbage. full stop.

The Baader-Meinhof Complex ---> great movie about the terrorist group The Red Army Faction (RAF) in 1960-1970's West Germany.

manolia
07-17-2009, 04:14 PM
"Serpico" by Sidney Lumet. Great film :)

Stargazer86
07-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Janine and Mono Interesting about Valkyrie. I automatically assumed that it would not be a good movie. I hear that everyone has accents in the movie except for Cruise. I also hear that it was a bit cliche and melodramatic...
However, since I highly regard both of your opnions, I think I should give this movie a shot now

I just bought Amadeus. Love it love it love it. Beautiful and fun and sad. 10/10
Some may not like it, but I love this movie.

Mathor
07-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Janine and Mono Interesting about Valkyrie. I automatically assumed that it would not be a good movie. I hear that everyone has accents in the movie except for Cruise. I also hear that it was a bit cliche and melodramatic...
However, since I highly regard both of your opnions, I think I should give this movie a shot now

I just bought Amadeus. Love it love it love it. Beautiful and fun and sad. 10/10

yeah that movie is pretty fantastic, not gonna lie.

Janine
07-17-2009, 06:22 PM

Star I would give it a try. I think you will like it. It's very entertaining and informative, too. Let me know if you liked it.

I can't understand why people are saying it's melodramatic. I didn't pick up on that at all. Of course, I am used to a lot of old classic films that are pretty 'melodramatic'; so maybe, I am not perceiving that quality in this film. I thought this film was very well done. I applaud the cast; they all were very fine. Bill Nighy impressed me and normally he is not my favorite actor. As far as the accents are concerned, what's the big beef about that? I personally don't get it. I have seen many a fine film, where accents were not authentic or very mixed and I think the director in this film made the right decision in letting the accents alone, in not to having anyone speak in a 'fake' German accent..that is sometimes truly distracting and annoying. Most of the crew is British, so their accents are just as ingenuine as Cruise's American accent in playing Germans; but I find it odd everyone is picking on Cruise. No one complained about Schindler's List and the accents. I know that Kenneth Branagh feels strongly about this same topic, about the non-importance of the accent thing, that a lot of people get hung up on. I really don't think that brings this movie or any other movie, down a notch. I just watched Tess by Roman Polanski and it's a very fine film; a truly beautifully filmed adaptation of the Hardy book. If one wants to be technical about accents, then take Nastaskja Kinski, for an example. She had to go to Britian to learn to speak Bristish. Personally, I still perceive she has something of a German note to her voice; she very much reminds me of a young Ingrid Bergman that way. I didn't find her difference in accent at all disturbing. I was too emersed in the intensity of the story to notice who had an authentic Wessex accent.

If you read the reviews on Amazon, concerning Valkyrie, you will see most people are applauding the film. Many were pleasantly surprised it was so good and said the director did a fine job. I like stories based on true stories, so I did enjoy this one; even though one knows the outcome, it is interesting to see how they contrived the plot and how it all took place. It prompted me to do some further reading on the subject and it's a fascinating part of history.

Saw it many years ago and liked it very much. It won a lot of awards, if I recall correctly. Good film and very unique! :thumbs_up

Zee.
07-17-2009, 07:11 PM

I was just about to write about Valkyrie. It was terrible. Melodramatic? no. Just boring.

mono
07-18-2009, 03:40 AM
Very flattering, thanks! :blush:
Plot? Yes, great! Screenwriting and directing? Superb! Acting? Fantastic! As to accents, Hollywood seems the worst place to look for them, but it seems a difficult thing to achieve acting out an accent; some actors and actresses go that extra mile, others, like Kate Winslet, whose native English accent seemed to disappear throughout the filming of Titanic, do not even try. Amid few, Ewan McGregor has mastered the talent of mimicking accents.
When I studied literature and creative writing, I took a film studies course, and the instructor explained that, in American films, only 3 foreign accents exist, not including the native American: English, Italian, and Russian, hence every allegedly Polish individual speaks in a English accent in The Pianist, for one example, a film directed by one of the most prominent directors today, Roman Polanski. I try to put a low expectation and emphasis on acting out accents for this reason. Regardless, I would highly recommend Valkyrie - excellent, excellent film.

I can't understand why people are saying it's melodramatic. I didn't pick up on that at all. Of course, I am used to a lot of old classic films that are pretty 'melodramatic'; so maybe, I am not perceiving that quality in this film.
I thought it a bit melodramatic here and there, but it does not necessarily have to seem a vice; I will endure all of the branding in saying that even The Godfather has its melodramatic parts, yet those scenes do nothing except contribute to its subtlety and unspoken talent in directing and acting. Valkyrie had its action parts, balanced well with its melodramatic parts, which built up to its climax; a film with too much action ends up like Gone in 60 Seconds, and a film with too many melodramatic scenes ends up like a B-movie.

Joreads
07-18-2009, 07:17 AM
I just saw My Life in Ruins and it is great for the type of movie it is. There are some laugh out loud moments in it.

Bojangles
07-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Dan in Real Life (2007)

All around a pretty mediocre film. Most of the characters were one dimensional and the dialogue was pretty atrocious. Aside from that it was a decently entertaining film but not spectacular by any means.

-7/10

Janine
07-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Plot? Yes, great! Screenwriting and directing? Superb! Acting? Fantastic! As to accents, Hollywood seems the worst place to look for them, but it seems a difficult thing to achieve acting out an accent; some actors and actresses go that extra mile, others, like Kate Winslet, whose native English accent seemed to disappear throughout the filming of Titanic, do not even try. Amid few, Ewan McGregor has mastered the talent of mimicking accents.
When I studied literature and creative writing, I took a film studies course, and the instructor explained that, in American films, only 3 foreign accents exist, not including the native American: English, Italian, and Russian, hence every allegedly Polish individual speaks in a English accent in The Pianist, for one example, a film directed by one of the most prominent directors today, Roman Polanski. I try to put a low expectation and emphasis on acting out accents for this reason. Regardless, I would highly recommend Valkyrie - excellent, excellent film.

I thought it a bit melodramatic here and there, but it does not necessarily have to seem a vice; I will endure all of the branding in saying that even The Godfather has its melodramatic parts, yet those scenes do nothing except contribute to its subtlety and unspoken talent in directing and acting. Valkyrie had its action parts, balanced well with its melodramatic parts, which built up to its climax; a film with too much action ends up like Gone in 60 Seconds, and a film with too many melodramatic scenes ends up like a B-movie.

mono, I totally agree with everything you wrote. It's a wonderful film; think I will rewatch it this week (library owns it). Yes, it's very balanced. I agree completely to your assessment of the importance of accents. I think people were just looking for some little quirp to hang Tom Cruise with; totally silly, if you ask me, petty.

Stargazer86
07-18-2009, 04:23 PM

The Pianist was a beautiful movie. I'm not sure who that actor was, but even his facial expressions and his body language were so convincing and moving. You could feel his pain even when he wasn't speaking.

Excellent point by your teacher, though once in awhile one does discover different accents (eg Irish or Hispanic accents)

Ewen MacGregor is a fantastic actor and does a wonderful job with his voice inflections and accents. Christain Bale is also quite good at this. At least with an American accent. I was so surprised to find out he was actually Welsh and not American.

Speaking of Christain Bale, another movie I re watched recently was Empire of the Sun. Excellent.

Once, in my drama class, we were doing a one act play of MacBeth. I was Lady MacBeth. The guy who was playing MacBeth and I were the only ones able to do Scottish accents. So our teacher said either everyone had to learn and use the Scottish accent, or no one used accents. I've always held that with movies as well. Accents should be consistant with one another.

As for the Godfather, that is one of my favorite movie series of all time. I agree, melodramatic in parts. But it works quite well. Except Sophia Coppola in the third one. He should have casted someone else. She is a good director, but a terrible actress.

Mathor
07-18-2009, 04:25 PM
The Pianist was a beautiful movie. I'm not sure who that actor was, but even his facial expressions and his body language were so convincing and moving. You could feel his pain even when he wasn't speaking.

Adrien Brody. He's such a great actor, and that's such a beautiful movie.

Stargazer86
07-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Adrien Brody. He's such a great actor, and that's such a beautiful movie.

What else is he in?

Helga
07-18-2009, 04:37 PM
the Black Dahlia... pretty good I think, I like the actors in it. Aron Eckhart is very good, the case was rather disgusting but it's interesting that it was never solved.

Janine
07-18-2009, 05:01 PM
What else is he in?

Good question; he was hot for awhile but I don't know of any recent films that he has really excelled in. I should look up his filmography online. He was amazing in "The Pianist". I too, loved that movie.

Mathor
07-18-2009, 05:41 PM
He was one of the brothers in Darjeeling Limited.

*Classic*Charm*
07-18-2009, 05:50 PM
the Black Dahlia... pretty good I think, I like the actors in it. Aron Eckhart is very good, the case was rather disgusting but it's interesting that it was never solved.

I really like that film. The lighting and camera work is great.

islandclimber
07-18-2009, 05:51 PM
He was great in

The Thin Red Line
The last time I Committed Suicide
Restaurant
Bread and Roses

some of his new movies are alright...

Cadillac Records
Manolete
The Brothers Bloom
Darjeeling Limited

they're all decent but nothing too special...

Last night I watched Jiri Menzel's Closely Watched Trains... just amazing... 10/10

Mathor
07-18-2009, 05:54 PM
He was great in

The Thin Red Line
The last time I Committed Suicide
Restaurant
Bread and Roses

I also find it notable he played a street punk in Spike Lee's Summer of Sam, I thought he was excellent in that, great murder mystery.

Bojangles
07-18-2009, 06:03 PM
My Own Private Idaho (1991)

Beautifully shot, acted and directed. Very deep plot, one of those films you'd have to watch a few times to catch everything.

-9.5/10

islandclimber
07-18-2009, 06:16 PM
I also find it notable he played a street punk in Spike Lee's Summer of Sam, I thought he was excellent in that, great murder mystery.

I've never seen that, I'll have to check it out :)

mono
07-19-2009, 05:31 AM
My Own Private Idaho (1991)

Beautifully shot, acted and directed. Very deep plot, one of those films you'd have to watch a few times to catch everything.

-9.5/10
Good to see another Gus Van Sant fan on the forum - one of Portland's most prized possessions. ;) Have you seen any of his other films - Finding Forrester, Milk, Good Will Hunting, Psycho, Paris, je t'aime, Drugstore Cowboy?

I just finished watching Taken; when seeing previews about it, weeks ago, I had a good feeling about it, especially that it starred Liam Neeson, and my inuition only led to good. Neeson has never disappointed me, but nearly every part of this film impressed me, balancing well an amazing plot, the never-failing most important part of a movie, action-packed and careful directing, and meditative and goal-oriented writing. This film featured the sensitive topic of parenthood to a teenager, particularly of fatherhood and abandonment, intelligence, and still encorporated a theme of heroism, while maintaining an incredible storyline, somewhat reminiscent of 8 mm in Paris, France. In terms of more directing than writing (one of Luc Besson's few triumphs), a few parts of the movie felt rushed and hurried; at just over 90 minutes, specific, seemingly unimportant, parts of the film could have received more emphasis - backgrounds, relationships, perhaps some flashbacks - otherwise, I felt impressed! Watch it, watch it!
Rating: 9/10.

Bojangles
07-19-2009, 05:57 AM
Good to see another Gus Van Sant fan on the forum - one of Portland's most prized possessions. ;) Have you seen any of his other films - Finding Forrester, Milk, Good Will Hunting, Psycho, Paris, je t'aime, Drugstore Cowboy?

I've seen most of his other films and I'm eager to explore his filmography fully. From what I've seen My Own Private Idaho is his best work (In my opinion)

Mathor
07-19-2009, 10:09 PM

I just finished watching Taken; when seeing previews about it, weeks ago, I had a good feeling about it, especially that it starred Liam Neeson, and my inuition only led to good. Neeson has never disappointed me, but nearly every part of this film impressed me, balancing well an amazing plot, the never-failing most important part of a movie, action-packed and careful directing, and meditative and goal-oriented writing. This film featured the sensitive topic of parenthood to a teenager, particularly of fatherhood and abandonment, intelligence, and still encorporated a theme of heroism, while maintaining an incredible storyline, somewhat reminiscent of 8 mm in Paris, France. In terms of more directing than writing (one of Luc Besson's few triumphs), a few parts of the movie felt rushed and hurried; at just over 90 minutes, specific, seemingly unimportant, parts of the film could have received more emphasis - backgrounds, relationships, perhaps some flashbacks - otherwise, I felt impressed! Watch it, watch it!
Rating: 9/10.

Gus Van Sant is one of my favorite directors of all time. Gotta say I kind of hated Psycho though, it was sort of just EXACTLY like the original. Which is okay I guess, But I was hoping he'd take Hitchcock to a new level, moreso. But Good Will Hunting is my favorite movie of all time. It's the one movie I can watch on mute and recite all of the lines :blush::blush: I think it's kind of underrated, although it won an Oscar, a lot of people don't recognize or remember the film or see it as worth serious consideration. (mainly Matt Damon/Ben Affleck haters)

Janine
07-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Gus Van Sant is one of my favorite directors of all time. Gotta say I kind of hated Psycho though, it was sort of just EXACTLY like the original. Which is okay I guess, But I was hoping he'd take Hitchcock to a new level, moreso. But Good Will Hunting is my favorite movie of all time. It's the one movie I can watch on mute and recite all of the lines :blush::blush: I think it's kind of underrated, although it won an Oscar, a lot of people don't recognize or remember the film or see it as worth serious consideration. (mainly Matt Damon/Ben Affleck haters)

Mathor, Good Will Hunting is one of my favorites, too. I have loved that film for a long time. I think the acting was top-notch and really intense. Good taste in films, M!

islandclimber, I like the films you mentioned with Adrien Brody; especially The Thin Red Line and Bread and Roses. I also liked him in Harrison's Flowers....now some of his older movies are coming back to me. I think his best film was The Pianist; he truly excelled in that fine film. Love the movie...and his performance.

islandclimber
07-21-2009, 02:27 AM
I watched The Boys in the Band tonight, and I must say, it was an interesting film...the acting was quite good, and Leonard Frey in particular was just splendid... and although the movie seems to make somewhat of a powerful statement, it seems to drag a little at times and become monotonous, although this is hardly the case on the whole, just at certain points in the film... also there seems to be something unpleasant, even perverse about the way it seems to exploit the stereotypes it portrays but maybe I am just over-analysing... it is moving though I will say.. 8/10

papayahed
07-22-2009, 08:13 AM
UP - It had it's funny moments but the beginning was quite odd to be in a kids movie, they could have dispensed with a good deal at the beginning and still would have made perfect sense. 7/10

High School Musical 3 - Campy Disney teen movie, my cousin loved it, me not so much. Hokey plot. 6/10

Hotel for Dogs - Cute, cute, cute. A couple of orphans try to keep their dog secret from their 80's throwback parents. In the mean time they find an abandoned hotel and some friends to help them take care of stray dogs they find along the way. 8/10

Bruno - I still don't know what to make out of this one. It had a few funny moments but it seemed like it was just a string of scenes meant to shock for no real reason. Most of the movies I was like "Really?" 6.5/10

Niamh
07-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

I dont care what half the folk here think, but i really really enjoyed it! the best one since Prisoner of Azkaban. It was dark, serious and funny. And i cried at the end. :(
8/10

Stargazer86
07-22-2009, 12:04 PM
It was my day off yesterday so I like putting on movies sometimes while I do housework. Yesterday I watched
Some Like It Hot which is quite funny and always enjoyable to watch. Marilyn's adorable, of course, but it seems like she's typecast in all of her movies. Kinda like Sharon Stone.

The Watchman- I really wish I'd gotten an opportunity to have seen this in the theatres. First of all, it's a fantastic story. The cinemetography and effects are astounding. There were a couple of parts that seemed a little cliched and corny, but I think it may have just been because of movie time constraints. Watching this made me want to read the graphic novel. I'm sure it goes into more detail.
There were lots of surprises...it is a well developed story with interesting characters. What I also found striking was the fine line that was drawn between good and evil. The "good guys" did appalling things and were shockingly human, and yet not, at the same time (if that makes sense) It was a scary mirror of human nature and the ironically destructive path that progress often leads on us.
This movie is well worth buying and I am intrigued to read the story now 10/10

Mathor
07-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban

10/10

When all is said and done, and Harry Potter is but a vision of the past, film reviewers will look back and see that this movie was so good that it pretty much overshadowed all that is Harry Potter. Another genius picture from Alfonso Cuaron: The director of Children of Men, Pan's Labyrinth, Y Tu Mama Tambien

Bruno

6/10

Not quite as funny as it really was a great social commentary. It did what it set out to do, quite brilliantly. The fact that one viewing is all any viewer would ever want to see of this movie, is partly where it fails. Decent documentary (with some fairly original pranks, I particularly found the scene in the CBS drawing room to be most amazing.).

The Hurt Locker

10/10

I won't be surprised when this picture takes the cake at the Oscars this year, simply the best war film I've ever seen. Brilliant. The fact that it is also the best-reviewed movie of the year is quite fitting.

papayahed
07-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Bruno

6/10

Not quite as funny as it really was a great social commentary. It did what it set out to do, quite brilliantly. The fact that one viewing is all any viewer would ever want to see of this movie, is partly where it fails. Decent documentary (with some fairly original pranks, I particularly found the scene in the CBS drawing room to be most amazing.).

I think I missed the social commentary part.:alien:

Mathor
07-23-2009, 09:55 AM
I think I missed the social commentary part.:alien:

the entire thing was an attempt at exposing the homophobia of the average American, in a slightly comical way. He puts average people, like Ron Paul, in situations so bizarre that they react in the first way they know how: to shout "that ****ing queer!", in rage. It was a bit tasteless, I completely agree, and I can understand why it outrages and offends a lot of people, but there was certainly a message behind it all. In the same way he did with Borat (which was a million times better), Sasha Baron Cohen does a great job at getting the real "human" to come out of people. The fact that he throws himself into situations where he may get only one take, or he may get no take at all (or even get arrested), shows a lot of courage as an actor.

papayahed
07-23-2009, 02:16 PM
See, and I think he just makes things worse. Some people will understand that he is portraying a completely over the top stereotype while the flip side is that the people he is trying to reach are just turned off by his antics and use that as just another reason to hate.

And really, I felt sorry for Ron Paul. He went in to do an interview and he has a jack *** trying to seduce him in a hotel room? What exactly was he suppossed to say? I mean he was playing a queer, no? Was he not suppossed to be upset?

Quite honestly, at least in Bruno, I think Sasha Baron Cohen is more concerned about shock value rather then any social commentary.

Mark F.
07-28-2009, 05:36 PM
A load of Jacques Tati's films ; Jour de fête, Les Vacances de monsieur Hulot and Traffic. So far Les Vacances de monsieur Hulot is by far my favorite, the gags and characters are much better, but I still need to see Playtime.

Helga
07-28-2009, 06:14 PM
the Impostors, written/directed/produced/leading role...... no other than Stanley Tucci. I love that movie, have seen it about a hundred times.

great actors, Stanley Tucci, Oliver Platt, Isabella Rossellini, Steve Buscemi, Tony Shaloub and many more

always funny.

jocky
07-28-2009, 06:20 PM
The Muppets go to Manhatten, Woody Allenesque.

Cailin
07-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Public Enemies

Was really disappointed with it - don't know what it was trying to be - a biography....a gansgter movie....there were even some elements of the documentary handheld type shots.

Christian Bale was terrible, and (I HATE to say it) but Depp wasn't much better. Only Marion Cotillard shone.

5/10

mono
07-30-2009, 10:44 AM
After reading the Foer novel, the lovely Chava recommended that I watch the film adaption, too, titled the same, Everything is Illuminated; I watched it last night. As what seems common among all book-adapted screenplays, I felt a little disappointed in Liev Schreiber's leaving many, what I considered, important parts to the plot and literally re-routing certain parts of the story; on the contrary, the same individual did a fantastic job at directing it, capturing the mood of many situations, the right landscapes, camera shots, and unfolding of the mystery of the story - it really impressed me. The actors and actresses definitely made an impression upon me that I did not expect; I suppose I envisioned a few things differently, particularly in their interactions, especially of the elderly woman at the end (the maybe-Augustine), but Elijah Wood as the main character and Eugene Hutz as Alex strongly captured their portrayed fictional characters, especially among their awkward scenes. The only thing that seems to have negatively impacted the score seems in the screenwriting; otherwise, an amazing film.
Rating: 8/10.

manolia
07-31-2009, 02:33 AM
"Before the devil knows you're dead" by Sidney Lumet - 10/10
"Slumdog Millionaire" by Danny Boyle - 8/10 (i didn't like the ending much although i can't think of an alternative :D)
"Wall-E" - 8/10
"Coraline" by Henry Selick - 10/10
"The Day the Earth Stood Still" (the remake) - ....no comments...

mono
07-31-2009, 05:01 PM
"Coraline" by Henry Selick - 10/10
I just watched this last night, manolia - great film! I could definitely see Selick's brilliant elements and Burton-esque imagination from The Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach. To me, it started out a bit slow, and the plot seemed somewhat fragmented with loose connections, particularly with the well, Wybie's grandmother, and I wish it featured more about the ghost children, too, but this would have resulted in a long film even Phil Knight could not have funded (he did, anyway). I loved the character Coraline, Mr. Bobinsky cracked me up, and Miriam and April fascinated me; the imagery - beautiful; the plot - brilliant; the flow of the film - great, but a bit fragmented.

"Before the devil knows you're dead" by Sidney Lumet - 10/10
Good to hear you enjoyed this one, manolia - to me, one of the most neglected beauties in contemporary films. I own it, and watch it almost every few weeks for its delicately-constructed plot, carefully-selected cast (though the film itself almost lacks a main character), and amazing direction. Agreed 10/10, over and over again. :D

Mark F.
08-01-2009, 06:49 AM
"Slumdog Millionaire" by Danny Boyle - 8/10 (i didn't like the ending much although i can't think of an alternative :D)

You heard what happened to the children who acted in that film right? That upon leaving the oscars they were kindly sent back to their slums and that it took the boy's town to be tore down and the girl's father to try to sell her for (cuss) Danny Boyle to pay attention to them and give them a few bucks to finance their education... Seriously, I thought the film was very well shot but that the story was extremely convoluted.

If.... - Lindsay Anderson

The film that revealed Malcolm McDowell as an actor. Great use of an english college boarding house as an allegory for the whole of society with its hierarchy and its outcasts. The way the film shifts from colour to black and white is used in an innovative manner for once.

amarna
08-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Resident Evil: Apocalypse.

Rubbish. 2/10

The 2 points are for the the grunting zombies' unintentional humour.

Mr Endon
08-02-2009, 08:18 AM
MarkF, agree on the slumdog.

amarna, zombies are always guaranteed fun. I remember that post-apocalyptic Will Smith film (which actually started really well) degenerating into a painfully-obviously-CGI zombie fest.

The Taking of Pelham 123: 4/10

You might want to see this movie if you need proof that Denzel can do more than the tough cop routine. It can be very entertaining, and I reluctantly found myself gripped to the seat in one or two moments. As for the bad parts: Travolta overacts (but that's the script's fault, not his), the dialogue is very much below par, the plot has more holes than a fisherman's net, and Tony Scott's directing will induce epilepsy.

Mathor
08-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Ponyo - 10/10 - Another masterpiece picture from Hayao Miyazaki, the only thing that might possibly top "Up" for an Oscar this year for Best Animated Picture. (I predict this, Up, and Coraline for the nomination)

Funny People - 9/10 - Directed by Jude Apatow, the director of 40 Year Old Virgin, with his best picture yet. Also the greatest acting performance of Adam Sandler's life, playing a comedian who has to face the fact that he is dying. Funny, but not your typical comedy. The characters change, they develop, they have feelings. Not at all what I expected it to be. (and what the trailer leads you to believe, that it will be another terrible Adam Sandler comedy.)

JuniperWoolf
08-03-2009, 11:42 PM
I remember that post-apocalyptic Will Smith film (which actually started really well) degenerating into a painfully-obviously-CGI zombie fest.

Not to mention the shove-it-down-your-throat Christian subtext.

Mr Endon
08-04-2009, 05:19 AM
Not to mention the shove-it-down-your-throat Christian subtext.

Man, I had totally forgotten about that! Haha. What a shame. They should have done a short film of it, comprising only its first 20 odd minutes.

tbarnes
08-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Stalker(Tarkovsky) - 5/5

Brilliant movie, and visually stunning. One of those films you immediately want to see again.

AmericanEagle
08-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Well, I called in sick from work today so I dipped into my big stack of unwatched movies and decided to watch 'Infernal Affairs,' the movie of which 'The Departed' was remade. All I've heard since The Departed came out was that Infernal Affairs was better, I just sort of chalked this up to cinephile elitist banter, I mean come on, Jack Nicholson, Marty Scorsese, Martin Sheen, Mark Wahlberg, Leo DiCaprio. However, I admit I was wrong, Infernal Affairs is a better movie than The Departed though they are both excellent films.

The whole movie gives such a great feeling of urgency with wonderful directing, and editing, great pacing and acting led to not only a wonderful movie in an artistic sense but most importantly an extremely entertaining film as well. There was a lot of focus on the characters as opposed to the violence going on around them which was a great change from what I had expected, but it was pulled off wonderfully. The way the two main characters slowly become someone else one a cop into a gangster and the other gangster into a cop is fantastic.

I had never seen Tony Leung up until this point (well I did in 'Hero' but I didn't know it and have forgotten the film since then) but he has succesfully won me over. He is absolutely terrific.
I'll give this film a 9/10, fantastic film no matter which way you look at it.

I just re-watched Infernal Affairs, and I agree with everything you said.

Janine
08-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Last night I watched an old movie, classic...

Took this from Netflix's description:

All About Eve (1950)

Writer-director Joseph L. Mankiewicz's sharp script anchors this story about New York City theater life, with Bette Davis playing an aging Broadway diva who employs a starstruck fan (Anne Baxter) as her assistant, only to learn the woman is a conniving upstart. The now-classic All About Eve won Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director (Mankiewicz), Best Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor (George Sanders).
Starring: Bette Davis, Anne Baxter
Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz

I really liked this film; I could pretty much guess the direction it was taking, but still it was engaging and I loved the performances - all top-notch. They don't make films like this anymore. Betty Davis had the special star quality one doesn't forget easily. She was amazing. The extra features on the DVD were really interesting as well. They showed how this paralleled what she was going through personally at the time; she had just turned 40. Back then, that was old for a film diva. Nowdays, woman are luckier, in that they continue to act well into their golden years. Look at Dame Judi Dench and Maggie Smith, and others. Sad to think back, in the early days of cinema and Holywood, they would put you out to pasture at the tender age of 40. I would definitely rate this movie with a 10/10. Very enjoyable; the humor and script were right on target and the drama was well acted. It's a timeless film.

I have been watching a lot of films this week and last. I will post more on those later on. I have fallen behind some...

Nightshade
08-05-2009, 04:58 PM
I watched Jim sheridan's In america this morning it was WONDERFUL, and it made me almost cry, not quite a green mile sobathon but a very good film.
9 kitkats!

Pensive
08-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Firelight - 10/10
Loved it. Wonderful characterization. Even the minor characters like that sarcastic maid were shaped amazingly for a movie. Loved the brief dialogues saying too much as well. Witty and emotional. I will have to recommend it to anybody who is looking for an excellent movie!

Plumbum
08-06-2009, 02:03 AM
I watched G-Force the other night in 3D. Didn't really want to watch it, but it turned out to be surprisingly entertaining. I loved how Zach Galifianakis looked exactly the same as he did in The Hangover, only this time he looked clean at least!

Janine
08-06-2009, 02:40 AM
Troilus and Cressida ~ William Shakespeare BBC Adaptation

Fine adaptation of the play. I found it hard to follow the complicated dialogue at times; confusing to say the least; but the play got more interesting as it progressed and I grasped more of what was going on. The cover of the DVD was very deceiving, since it said 'Comedy' within design of the border. I am not sure why, because this play is the furthest thing from a comedy although it had some comedic moments and quirky characters.
I found this in Wikipedia:

Throughout the play, the tone lurches wildly between bawdy comedy and tragic gloom, and readers and theatre-goers have frequently found it difficult to understand how one is meant to respond to the characters.However, several characteristic elements of the play (the most notable being its constant questioning of intrinsic values such as hierarchy, honor and love) have often been viewed as distinctly "modern", as in the following remarks on the play by author and literary scholar Joyce Carol Oates:

Troilus and Cressida, that most vexing and ambiguous of Shakespeare's plays, strikes the modern reader as a contemporary document—its investigation of numerous infidelities, its criticism of tragic pretensions, above all, its implicit debate between what is essential in human life and what is only existential are themes of the twentieth century. [...] This is tragedy of a special sort—the "tragedy" the basis of which is the impossibility of conventional tragedy.

It's curious; it struck me as more modern in content and viewpoint, too. I found it some things unusual, such as encouragement from Cressida's uncle given to Troilus to blantantly sleep with Cressida; also some of this remarks were really outspoken for the day. The way the nobles and warriors spoke was not always admirable or honorable either, which had me miffed at first, comparing this play to other more noble oriented plays by the Bard.
Not my favorite Shakespeare play, but worthy of watching; a part of history and mythology that continues to fascinate me; although I am not very versed in Greek/Trojan history. The acting was quite good; I recognised a few notable actors from other BBC productions. Anton Lesser played Troilus and was quite admirable. I don't think I am able to rate this one.

Mathor
08-06-2009, 02:43 AM
Last night I watched an old movie, classic...

Took this from Netflix's description:

All About Eve (1950)

Writer-director Joseph L. Mankiewicz's sharp script anchors this story about New York City theater life, with Bette Davis playing an aging Broadway diva who employs a starstruck fan (Anne Baxter) as her assistant, only to learn the woman is a conniving upstart. The now-classic All About Eve won Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director (Mankiewicz), Best Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor (George Sanders).
Starring: Bette Davis, Anne Baxter
Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz

I really liked this film; I could pretty much guess the direction it was taking but still it was engaging and I loved the performances - all top-notch. They don't make films like this anymore. Betty Davis had the special star quality one doesn't forget easily. She was amazing. The extra features on the DVD were really interesting as well. They showed how this paralleled what she was going through personally at the time; she had just turned 40. Back then that was old for a film diva. Nowday, woman are luckier in that they continue to act well into their golden years. Look at Dame Judi Dench and Maggie Smith, and others. Sad to think back in the early days of cinema and Holywood, they would put you out to pasture at the tender age of 40. I would definitely rate this movie with a 10/10. Very enjoyable; the humor and script were right on target and the drama was well acted. It's a timeless film.

I have been watching a lot of films this week and last. I will post more on those later on. I have fallen behind some...

Only 10?? In my eyes, you can't get much closer to perfection than All About Eve.

Janine
08-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Only 10?? In my eyes, you can't get much closer to perfection than All About Eve.

Mather, hahaha...what do you mean ONLY 10?
10 out of 10 - perfection! This film was amazing. Betty Davis gave a tour de force performance, if I have ever seen one. Glad you are in agreement. I am glad I watched it finally. Sure I will watch it again - my library owns a copy.

Mark F.
08-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Mankiewicz is the stuff. Have you seen his later films like There Was a Crooked Man and Sleuth, I loved those as well. And Five Fingers with James Mason.

Mathor
08-07-2009, 01:26 AM
In The Loop - 2009 - 10/10 - In the same vein of the The Office, a brilliant british comedy about the insides of the British goverment and the events leading up to the Iraq war. A satire, and somehow not very political at all, but simply just a great and wonderful human comedy (mostly featuring the overuse of the word "****")

Helga
08-10-2009, 09:54 AM
I just saw 'Public enemies' last night, and I liked it. as much as I like Bale he didn't do that good in this movie, it could have been better. Johnny Depp is ALWAYS good and man I love the glasses he wore, the sunglasses too.It was an interesting story and I liked how they used everything that were Dillinger's moves, like jumping over the counter and not taking anything from the people at the bank just the bank and he was very good at getting away from the cop and just out of any situation. the actress who played Bette was good but I have no idea who she is. I don't like to much romance in a movie like this and I think they could have skipped a kissing scene or two. so many good actors playing small roles was really good I think. my biggest problem was Bale, he sounded like he sometimes had an accent but not all of the times, this wasn't his best movie.

I loved the music in it and the clothes, Dillinger always very well dressed and I love the hats all the men had...

I'd give it 8 out of 10

the next movie I wanna see is 'Funny Games'.....

Haunted
08-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Night Train (2008)

Danny Glover, Leelee Sobieski and Steve Zahn

This movie is so incredible and totally unpredictable. It's a thriller but it's not what you think. I won't give it away, it takes place on an old-world train. One cold snowy night, a mysterious passenger came running breathlessly into a desolate train station to catch the train. He was holding a box...

YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT'S INSIDE THE BOX!!!!

10!

Mathor
08-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Adventureland (2009) - 8/10 - One of those movies that starts out as an American Pie-esque semi-pornographic sex romp but slowly transforms into a romantic comedy at the end. Probably the best romantic comedy I've seen all year. With the terrible way comedic movies are going these days, it's great to see some light-hearted romance for once. This is the one movie I've seen all year that I think just about anyone would enjoy.

optimisticnad
08-11-2009, 08:12 AM
The Ugly Truth (2009), usual rom-com 'chick' flick. It was ok, predictable, but I did like the verbal sex banter, made notes ... ;)

Mathor
08-12-2009, 02:36 AM
The Ugly Truth (2009), usual rom-com 'chick' flick. It was ok, predictable, but I did like the verbal sex banter, made notes ... ;)

the thing was it sucked on so many levels, and yet it somehow seemed to provide a lot of insight on what both men and women are looking for sexually/emotionally. So though it's in no ways a good movie, it is intelligent in a lot of ways.

Helga
08-12-2009, 02:08 PM
the grizzly man

this movie was strange, he was kinda crazy living with bears and acting the way he did. it was so cute how great relationship he established with the foxes, they were so cute. I didn't quite get what he thought he was doing there, he kept saying he was protecting the bears but when some guys were throwing rocks at a bear cub he just watched and cursed.

it was interesting but didn't really leave a lot behind..

5/10

Mathor
08-13-2009, 01:40 AM
I re-watched Up and laughed my *** off. That movie is sooooo good.

Helga
08-14-2009, 04:08 PM
shrek the third

very funny like shrek always is....

I also bought today 'love in the time of cholera' but I haven't watched it yet

AimusSage
08-14-2009, 04:11 PM
G.I Joe: cobra something. 4/10 piece of rubbish

Nightshade
08-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Crash 6/10 yes it was clever but I didnt LOVE it.

DisPater
08-15-2009, 03:05 AM
jadesoturi --- a mixture of Finnish and Chinese mythological elements in a fantastic movie. interesting.

Tulpan - great movie about a Kazakh shepherd family; a movie about a less known culture.

subterranean
08-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Saw the 1st Bridgett Jones' Diary again last night. Still as funny as the first time I saw it. Go Rene!

Mathor
08-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Tulpan - great movie about a Kazakh shepherd family; a movie about a less known culture.

:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

this movie is GREAT!

Stargazer86
08-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Stranger Than Fiction- Quite possibly the worst movie I've seen in years. And I don't mean awesomely worst in the Plan 9 From Outer Space way.
This was just flat out an awful movie. Kind of a cool idea for a story line but they sure screwed it up. Don't even waste your time with it
1/10

Helga
08-15-2009, 05:54 PM
I agree Stargazer, Stranger than fiction was a good idea gone bad, and with such good actors

but I just watched Wedding singer for the hundred time, I like Sandler's older work, not a big fan of his recent stuff

Sheujade
08-15-2009, 06:34 PM
For the second time I watched Elizabeth (Cate Blanchett).
This is by far my favorite movie she's ever done. She's one of my favorite on the silver screen. :thumbs_up

Elizabeth II was ok...but it didn't live up the the first.

AmericanEagle
08-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Take the Lead - 8/10

I love to watch ballroom dancing - the 3-person tango was creative, to say the least.

Janine
08-16-2009, 10:34 PM
For the second time I watched Elizabeth (Cate Blanchett).
This is by far my favorite movie she's ever done. She's one of my favorite on the silver screen. :thumbs_up

Elizabeth II was ok...but it didn't live up the the first.

Sheujade, I agree with you. I love Cate Blanchett and have seen her in many films; but this still remains my favorite of hers. Eliz II was good and she was still wonderful, but the first one was the best definitely. I just loved the whole movie. It was perfect in my eyes. I give it 2 thumbs up!

Welcome to Litnet. Happy to see interesting new members, especially movie lovers.

DisPater
08-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Terminator Salvation - uber-crap, and I said already too many good words about this movie.

Mark F.
08-17-2009, 02:55 PM
The Proposition - John Hillcoat

Excellent operatic, australian, western spinoff. None of that makes sense but that's what it is. Reminiscent of Ford, Peckinpah and Leone with a brilliant screenplay from the pen of Nick Cave and first rate cast (Guy Pearce, Emily Watson, Ray Winstone, John Hurt to name a few). I just wrote a long review, but it's in French. If anyone reads that forsaken language check it out here :

http://thewasteland.over-blog.com/article-34991435.html

Janine
08-17-2009, 03:12 PM
The Proposition - John Hillcoat

Excellent operatic, australian, western spinoff. None of that makes sense but that's what it is. Reminiscent of Ford, Peckinpah and Leone with a brilliant screenplay from the pen of Nick Cave and first rate cast (Guy Pearce, Emily Watson, Ray Winstone, John Hurt to name a few). I just wrote a long review, but it's in French. If anyone reads that forsaken language check it out here :

http://thewasteland.over-blog.com/article-34991435.html

Mark F, I am always running across this film on Amazon, since I like another film by the same name, with different actors/storyline. It sounds interesting, but I read it's quite bloody.

Janine
08-17-2009, 03:25 PM
I have been watching a lot of old films lately - classics.

Shadow Of A Doubt ~ Hitchcock
Strangers On A Train ~ Hitchcock

Both terrific! 10/10's for sure. How can one beat classic Hitchcock? I like Strangers best, but they both were wonderful and full of quirpy characters and great suspense. Both are early B/W films. I love that effect for suspense and mystery/drama.

Last night I watched

East of Eden ~ James Dean

I loved it! 10/10 most definitely! Wonderful mesmerizing performances. Emotional and very intense.

I will write more up on these later on. I highly recommend all three.
Extras on all DVD's were super interesting and informative, also.

AmericanEagle
08-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Shadow Of A Doubt ~ Hitchcock
Strangers On A Train ~ Hitchcock

I loved "Strangers on a Train", too.

I didn't really like "Shadow of a Doubt", mostly because of the strange relationship between Uncle Charlie and Young Charlie.

Janine
08-17-2009, 03:52 PM
I loved "Strangers on a Train", too.

I didn't really like "Shadow of a Doubt", mostly because of the strange relationship between Uncle Charlie and Young Charlie.

Yeah, that was strange, wasn't it? It was almost like she was attracted to him sexually. I wasn't quite sure of the relationship from the beginning. In the extras, it said she was young and just bored and he added color to all their lives. I do think they all, including the mother (his sister), had this strange distorted view of him; afterall, what did they even know of his life? I found that a bit odd, too. Wouldn't they want to know how he made his living, etc? Did you know that Hitchcock actually liked this film the best of all his films. Patricia Hitchcock said so in the extras. Now once before, I saw Pat Hitchcock in an interview; she claimed his favorite film was Notorious, but perhaps she meant for the major films, or I may be wrong memory-wise.

By the way, wasn't Pat Hitchcock a riot in Strangers On A Train? He picked her because she resembled the wife. The glasses were a great way to link them also. Love that shot in the glasses; a very famous shot. I can post it here since I copied it from Wikipedia. Now this film is another one with a strange attraction, but this time between two men. The extras went into that quite a bit. I felt from the beginning, that the man approaching Guy was acting awfully close and chummy with him in a homeosexual manner, not purely friendly. They said this was true and I believe in the British version it was played up more or it might have been visa versa, not sure now. I still have the alternative version to watch - my DVD came with both. Should be interesting to compare the two. That last scene was something else - truly amazing, wasn't it? Never have seen anything quite like it before. Wonderfully executed.

The guy who played Guy was in Rope, another of my favorites, even though it's somewhat a problem play/film. I still find it emensely interesting.

AmericanEagle
08-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah, that was strange, wasn't it? It was almost like she was attracted to him sexually. I wasn't quite sure of the relationship from the beginning. In the extras, it said she was young and just bored and he added color to all their lives. I do think they all, including the mother (his sister), had this strange distorted view of him; afterall, what did they even know of his life? I found that a bit odd, too. Wouldn't they want to know how he made his living, etc?

Yeah, they seemed more like lovers than uncle and niece.

Did you know that Hitchcock actually liked this film the best of all his films.

Really? I think that "Shadow of a Doubt" pales in comparison to "Vertigo" and "Psycho".

Now there is another one with a strange attraction between the two men. The extras went into that. I felt from the beginning that the man approaching Guy was acting awfully close and chummy with him in a homeosexual manner.

Something similar like that happened in "Rope", also starring Farley Granger.

Janine
08-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah, they seemed more like lovers than uncle and niece.

Exactly...but then again I think a lot of young girls could become enamoured with older men, even their uncles. My problem with that was I don't personally find Joseph Cotton that charming or attractive so I could not quite see what she saw in him. Now, had it been maybe someone more appealing and oozing charm I might understand her being drawn to him but Cotton doesn't do it for me; even though he did well layering the character to some degree.

Really? I think that "Shadow of a Doubt" pales in comparison to "Vertigo" and "Psycho".

I love Vertigo and many others, especially Rear Window and Dial M For Murder. Believe it or not, I have never seen Psycho. I need to see that one; for years I would not watch it, knowing the murder takes place in a shower or bathtub. I figured that would freak me out too much. I own most of the ones I mentioned but not the last three above since my library owns two of those; the other, I should request they get it from another library so I can finally view it - Psycho. I think I am brave enough now. haha

Something similar like that happened in "Rope", also starring Farley Granger.

I have to watch Rope again. I did write in my last post that Farley Ranger was in Rope too. I think that Shadow Of A Doubt and Rope have the same problem with the general public; the story relies on people (the star and anti-hero) who are intimate and key to the story, but who are a-moral. A-moral movies are usually not vastly popular, because they make people feel very uncomforable. I found that true of Doubt too, didn't you? I thought it was also filmed very 'edgy' and felt very 'uncomfortable' (angles of shots, etc) on purpose.

AmericanEagle
08-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Exactly...but then again I think a lot of young girls could become enamoured with older men, even their uncles. My problem with that was I don't personally find Joseph Cotton that charming or attractive so I could not quite see what she saw in him. Now, had it been maybe someone more appealing and oozing charm I might understand her being drawn to him but Cotton doesn't do it for me; even though he did well layering the character to some degree.

If Uncle Charlie had been portrayed by Gregory Peck, I would definitely understand why Young Charlie would have been attracted to him :)

AmericanEagle
08-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Believe it or not, I have never seen Psycho. I need to see that one; for years I would not watch it, knowing the murder takes place in a shower or bathtub. I figured that would freak me out too much. I own most of the ones I mentioned but not the last three above since my library owns two of those; the other, I should request they get it from another library so I can finally view it - Psycho. I think I am brave enough now. haha

You should definitely watch "Psycho." The shower murder scene isn't too gruesome.

Janine
08-17-2009, 04:47 PM
You should definitely watch "Psycho." The shower murder scene isn't too gruesome.

I know, I have heard that from many now. I am sure it's not nearly as gruesome as some film scenes I have witnessed. haha.. Plus I loved Anthony Perkins; actually saw him once in a bar in Philadelphia - my friend spotted him and I didn't believe it; after he was gone we asked his friend at the bar and sure enough it was him appearing in Playhouse in the Park.

Janine
08-17-2009, 04:50 PM
If Uncle Charlie had been portrayed by Gregory Peck, I would definitely understand why Young Charlie would have been attracted to him :)

Right, I agree. I am not sure why he choose Cotton, but he was later in a few other Hitchcock films, I believe. I think he is rather non-descript, don't you? I did like him in Citizen Kane though.

AmericanEagle
08-17-2009, 04:55 PM
^ I agree that Cotton comes across as very bland.