PDA

View Full Version : What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Boris239
01-05-2008, 11:15 AM
The last one was "Juno"- pretty good and touching. 8/10

Idril
01-05-2008, 12:10 PM
I think the last movie I saw was Serenity.

Great movie, 10/10. Just everything about it, even if I tend to dislike Sci-Fi. Funny, exciting, sad...great movie. Joss Whedon certainly can write.

I love that movie! I can watch it over and over again and it never gets old. It's an odd movie for me to like too because it has such a serious Western tinge to it and I hate Westerns but it works for me in this movie.

I just saw Blame it On Fidel and I really liked it. It had a wierd nonending but that seems to be fairly typical of French films.

Janine
01-05-2008, 04:23 PM
I told you that I saw it twice, Janine, right? Well, that was my reason to do so. I wanted to see it on the big screen again! I wanted to see it one more time before it will be forever scrunched down to television size! Musicals are always better on a big movie screen!

Yes you told us all, LW! (at least twice) :lol: I really loved your reviews and they did get me interested. You know a lot about these musicals so they really were quite informative and I take your advice. Just was cusious to see what (hard marking;) ) amalia, had to say about the film. I was out shopping last night and when I was at the electronic's store there was a long trailer playing on one of the HD TV's of guess what?
Yes! Sweeny Todd....wow, I have to admit that got me even more interested. They had the sound way down, so I could not hear any music or singing, but I am sure it was good. Did you ever see JD in "Cry Baby"? He did all his own singing in that, played the guitar, too. It was quite impressive. Anyway, I hope I can see it on the silver screen also, and not 'scrunched down to TV size', as you put it. Musicals are always better and more dynamic on the big screen.

By the way, Janine, rumor has it that those pictures are showing up on the "Crushes" thread if you still want to see all of them! :)

Yeah, I finally saw them and they were great!:thumbs_up I posted some more of our KB. Go and look today if you have the chance. The first one is pretty funny! :D

amalia1985
01-05-2008, 04:28 PM
"Reign of Fire"
-1/10
...I don't know why I let my friends persuade me to watch that THING....

Janine
01-05-2008, 05:03 PM
"Reign of Fire"
-1/10

Wow, amalia, that must be a really bad film - a one out of a ten! what is it about? I will definitely stay clear of that one. Who is in it?

I just looked it up on Amazon and people are giving it a 3 1/2 stars, but that hardly means anything to me. It sounds like it has a lot of special effects - ugh. I see that Matthew McConaughey and Christian Bale are in it. It does not even look at all like Matthew McConaughey. Do you like his acting? Just curious.

thelastmelon
01-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Animatrix.
I was actually quite impressed by the different animation styles.

papayahed
01-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Welcome to the Dollhouse - The main character is a very unpopular Jr. High girl with the unfortunate last name of "Weiner". Not much of a plot but stil pretty good. Eric Mabius (from Ugly Betty) plays a long haired singer.

3.5/5

NikolaiI
01-05-2008, 08:47 PM
The Cutting Edge - 7 or 8 out of ten

Hitchhiker's Guidde to the Galaxy - 8

Garfield tale of two kitties - 7

Tommy Boy - 8 / 10

think that's about it.

papayahed
01-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels - Slightly confusing between all the groups but still great.

4/5

Shalot
01-05-2008, 11:44 PM
I saw StarDust. 11/10. There are a lot of fantasy movies out there, and I have to say, this is one of the best I've seen (behind LOTR of course). I do wish someone besides Claire Danes could have been the star. I do like Claire Danes, but I just think she is too plain to play the star. She's a pretty girl, but she is more suitable for those all-american girl roles. But, she is likable enough, and since no one else for the part comes to mind, I guess she was the best choice afterall.

Robert Di Niro was hilarious in his part, and the actor who played Tristan was very nice to look at. :)

mtpspur
01-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Aliens vs Predator: Requiem on Christmas Day, Give it a 'C'. The body count went way up and I relived my golden rule of characters--if I like them they are toast. Major complaint is the lack of thought that went to the consequences of the story. I suspect a lot of it hit the cutting room floor since it's very short and more background would have enhanced it but it makes very little sense to the overall series of Alien movies but its been downhill since Alien 3 anyway.

Big Al
01-06-2008, 01:33 AM
No Country For Old Men (Joel and Ethan Coen, 2007) - Perhaps it's somewhat trying as a philosophical exercise, but as a thriller it's remarkably powerful and effective. 8/10

LadyWentworth
01-06-2008, 02:48 AM
Yes you told us all, LW! (at least twice) :lol: I really loved your reviews and they did get me interested. You know a lot about these musicals so they really were quite informative and I take your advice. Just was cusious to see what (hard marking;) ) amalia, had to say about the film. I was out shopping last night and when I was at the electronic's store there was a long trailer playing on one of the HD TV's of guess what?
Yes! Sweeny Todd....wow, I have to admit that got me even more interested. They had the sound way down, so I could not hear any music or singing, but I am sure it was good. Did you ever see JD in "Cry Baby"? He did all his own singing in that, played the guitar, too. It was quite impressive. Anyway, I hope I can see it on the silver screen also, and not 'scrunched down to TV size', as you put it. Musicals are always better and more dynamic on the big screen.

I can just see you going to see this movie after Amalia and I gave it rave reviews. While you're watching this film you will be thinking how completely insane the two of us are for liking it as much as we do! :p

"Reign of Fire"
-1/10

NEGATIVE 1/10???? BRUTAL!!! :lol:

I watched "Happy, Texas" for the second time again today. It stars Jeremy Northam (yes, I have a thing for him, too! :) ). It is just your typical story of 2 drifters passing though a small town and passing as someone else (this case they are two escaped convicts that pose as pageant consultants). The first time I saw it was in the middle of the night. Today, I was too tired to do anything else. So I sat through it again! I actually kind of like it. Some parts are quite funny. Just a "light" film. I would give it a 7/10.

Janine
01-06-2008, 03:32 AM
I can just see you going to see this movie after Amalia and I gave it rave reviews. While you're watching this film you will be thinking how completely insane the two of us are for liking it as much as we do! :p

Hahaha...yes, I will be screaming....give me my money back!:flare: :lol:

NEGATIVE 1/10???? BRUTAL!!! :lol:

I watched "Happy, Texas" for the second time again today. It stars Jeremy Northam (yes, I have a thing for him, too! :) ). It is just your typical story of 2 drifters passing though a small town and passing as someone else (this case they are two escaped convicts that pose as pageant consultants). The first time I saw it was in the middle of the night. Today, I was too tired to do anything else. So I sat through it again! I actually kind of like it. Some parts are quite funny. Just a "light" film. I would give it a 7/10.

Hey, LW, what are you doing up? Oh, that is right - it is earlier out there...Yikes, it is after 2 here! I like your time better.;)
Just got your note...:lol: shall I add it onto the two emails?....better expect my reply now by Easter....:lol:

I can't wait to see what Amalia says about Jeremy Northam...I think he is on her bad actor list, but maybe I am wrong. Amalia, hope you are talking to me after this. I am just kidding around, you know.
I liked Jeremy Northam in "Gosford Park" - think that name is correct...I am a bit tired and don't remember, for sure. I like that film.

Last night I watched the excellent John Houston film, starring is daughter, Angelica Houston, after the James Joyce short story "The Dead". I just love this film and all the characters. They say it was John Houston's Valentine to his native Ireland. What a good film. I love the ending of the film and the short story. It follows the short story well, staying true to the ideas and thoughts of the characters. A true classic...have to give it a 10/10.

Tonight I watched a tape called "My Favorite Broadway - The Love Songs" - I would say it was fairly good show, although I did not like everything, nor all the singers. However, nice to see classic stars like Julie Andrews, Robert Goulet, Michael Crawford, among countless others. Most of the songs were performed well, but I would have to say, that I felt the show did have some flaws and it fell a little short of my expectations. However it was interesting to hear songs I knew from years back and a few I liked very much, that were quite new to me. It was a stage production filmed; I don't have any idea what year this was presented on TV.

LadyWentworth
01-06-2008, 03:41 AM
Hey, LW, what are you doing up? Oh, that is right - it is earlier out there...Yikes, it is after 2 here! I like your time better.;)
Just got your note...:lol: shall I add it onto the two emails?....better expect my reply now by Easter....:lol:
Well, it is actually just after 1:30 here. I am actually extremely tired. I have no idea why I am still up and on here, though! I actually didn't realize how late it was until you pointed it out to me! :p

I can't wait to see what Amalia says about Jeremy Northam...I think he is on her bad actor list, but maybe I am wrong. Amalia, hope you are talking to me after this. I am just kidding around, you know.
I liked Jeremy Northam in "Gosford Park" - think that name is correct...I am a bit tired and don't remember, for sure. I like that film.

Well, I like him no matter what anyone else thinks! :D The name is "Gosford Park", by the way. I haven't seen that in long time. I could go for it again.

Tonight I watched a tape called "My Favorite Broadway - The Love Songs" - I would say it was fairly good show, although I did not like everything, nor all the singers. However, nice to see classic stars like Julie Andrews, Robert Goulet, Michael Crawford, among countless others. Most of the songs were performed well, but I would have to say, that I felt the show did have some flaws and it fell a little short of my expectations. However it was interesting to hear songs I knew from years back and a few I liked very much, that were quite new to me. It was a stage production filmed; I don't have any idea what year this was presented on TV

I think I know what that is. I think they showed it on PBS. I didn't care for the TV specials that they had recently called "Broadway's Lost Treasures" on PBS. Everyone else thought they were great, though. That was another time when I thought that they could have put together a better program than what they did.

Janine
01-06-2008, 03:51 AM
Well, it is actually just after 1:30 here. I am actually extremely tired. I have no idea why I am still up and on here, though! I actually didn't realize how late it was until you pointed it out to me! :p

Exactly my thoughts...I am so tired, typing now with one eye open...hey, are we totally crazy?;)

Well, I like him no matter what anyone else thinks! :D The name is "Gosford Park", by the way. I haven't seen that in long time. I could go for it again.

I do, too. I liked him in "The Winslow Boy" - ever see it? I have seen "Gosford Park" several times and would watch it again. I really loved it.

I think I know what that is. I think they showed it on PBS. I didn't care for the TV specials that they had recently called "Broadway's Lost Treasures" on PBS. Everyone else thought they were great, though. That was another time when I thought that they could have put together a better program than what they did.

Yeah, I would not rave. Even Michael Crawford hit a few bad notes, when singing 'Music of the Night'....Something was truly missing, throughout the show. I didn't like some of the singers or songs at all. I was impressed that Robert Goulet still had as good a voice at his age. I used to like him a lot and had the original recording of him on the "Camelot" record. You know what bothered me intensely? The background curtain design - it was really distracting. I wonder who did that and the wardrobe design - some of the gowns were pretty but some were pretty bad! Julie Andrews had on some gowns that made her figure look truly bad. She looked fat or thick, through the middle; not at all flattering... and she only sang part of one little musical number - so what was with that? Can't she sing anymore? She was not that old.

LadyWentworth
01-06-2008, 03:58 AM
I do, too. I liked him in "The Winslow Boy" - ever see it? I have seen "Gosford Park" several times and would watch it again. I really loved it.

Of course I have seen "The Winslow Boy". I enjoyed it. He looked pretty good in it, too. ;) I love a man in clothes from that period! :)

Yeah, I would not rave. Even Michael Crawford hit a few bad notes, when singing 'Music of the Night'....Something was truly missing, throughout the show. I didn't like some of the singers or songs at all. I was impressed that Robert Goulet still had as good a voice at his age. I used to like him a lot and had the original recording of him on the "Camelot" record. You know what bothered me intensely? The background curtain design - it was really distracting. I wonder who did that and the wardrobe design - some of the gowns were pretty but some were pretty bad! Julie Andrews had on some gowns that made her figure look truly bad. She looked fat or thick, through the middle; not at all flattering... and she only sang part of one little musical number - so what was with that? Can't she sing anymore? She was not that

How old is this program? I know that Julie Andrews ended up having trouble with her vocal chords. If I am correct, she even had them operated on. She also said that she was never going to sing again. I forget how long ago that was. Probably a lot longer ago than I remember. As for Robert Goulet, that man kept his voice until the end! I saw him twice. Once as King Arthur in "Camelot" (when he was doing that for awhile) and as Don Quixote in "Man of La Mancha". Simply terrific!!

kiz_paws
01-06-2008, 04:51 AM
I went to see ATONEMENT tonight with my mom and sisters. WOW! I will give it a 9/10 for the story line, the acting, the music, the sets...

I really like Keira Knightly, so I loved her in this movie. As well, her love, played by James McAvoy, was awesome, too. Yup, I liked this movie a lot.

I noted, however, that there was an awful lot of cigarette smoking in this movie.... something that I didn't see a lot of in movies over the last few years... Is this something odd to have noticed? :alien:

amalia1985
01-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Janine, I really like Jeremy Northam. I think you remember my disliking for Rupert Everett. While I share LW's admiration for Northam, I cannot stand Everett. You were slightly confused here.

Janine
01-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Janine, I really like Jeremy Northam. I think you remember my disliking for Rupert Everett. While I share LW's admiration for Northam, I cannot stand Everett. You were slightly confused here.

Hi amalia, I am so sorry. I stand totally corrected. Will you forgive me? :( I really feel the fool. I had thought that you said you hated him in the O'Henry adaptation of "The Golden Bowl". I kind of have brain overload right now; I am overly tired.

I did not like Ruppert Everett in "Midsummer Night's Dream" - the newer one. I really did not care for that version at all. I have tried to watch it twice and something is truly missing. I think we agreed on that. I liked him ok in somethings, early on, but he has aged badly and I do think he looks very unattractive now. I have been wondering about that. I saw him in something and he looked kind of ill.

I have been watching the older version of "Midsummer Night's Dream" and find it rather interesting, and amusing; although, as far as Shakespeare and the verse is concerned, this one ignores the 'beauty' of the lines, also, and I really wonder if anyone ever got this right in a film version. If not someone needs to. It's the fact my DVD player is going bad and won't work past a 1/2 hour of use. that I am still watching this film - pretty silly, isn't it? I did buy a new unit and my son will connect it for me tomorrow.

Hope all is well with you, amalia, and I will get to your email soon...just been so terribly busy.

manolia
01-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Just returned from the theater...i saw "The fountain" by Daren Arronofsky..i can only say that this film is fantastic. One of the best crafted, touching (for a reason, not cheap sentimentality), meaningful movies i've seen. 10/10

vheissu
01-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Just returned from the theater...i saw "The fountain" by Daren Arronofsky..i can only say that this film is fantastic. One of the best crafted, touching (for a reason, not cheap sentimentality), meaningful movies i've seen. 10/10

I'm glad you liked it! I had mixed feelings the first time I saw it, didn't really understand why he'd want to used 3 completely different timelines, but same characters. I appreciated it a lot more when I saw it again on my own.
I loved the soundtrack for it from the beginning...and Hugh Jackman...(bold though?...hmmm).

Janine
01-09-2008, 07:31 PM

manolia, I just saw this film, but not in the theater. Still it looked terrific on my new HD TV, even though I don't have the newer DVD player connected yet. The special effects were well done and most times not overdone. I really loved that tree and the reflection. The film had some very interesting and artistic imagery. I will have to see it again, when I do have the new player connected, which should be soon. I also, had such mixed feelings about it, but I think it is the type of film, in which one has to sit back and just go with, almost subliminally. I heard a reviewer compare it to the film "2001: A Space Odyssey"...I thought that an interesting comparison.

I liked some of this film better than other parts. I liked the 'present' and I liked the 'future', but I was not sure at all about some sections of the 'past'...some of that seemed a little too 'way out' to me or corny, the way it was presented. This is so curious, manolia; I had just completed the novel by D.H.L. -"The Plumed Serpent" when I viewed this film, and some of that history and myth in the 'past' segments reminded me of the same elements in "TPS". I wondered if the screen writer happened to read the L book.

One thing I did find totally odd, and annoying about this film, was the fact that this man's wife is dying and he never has any time to spend with her. I guess that speaks for men, right? The way they all get caught up in something, usually a hobby or work and obsess; well hey, in all fairness, I guess, we woman can do that, also, at times. Granted he wanted to cure her, but still I would have thought, he would cherish his possible 'limited' time with his beloved wife. This part of trying to save her with this limited short timespan, seemed to me to be a bit unrealistic, as well. It takes years to test me drugs and research, etc. to see if they are truly safe or effective long term. These might be the reasons, I could not give it a 10/10, in my opinion, although I do think it was a very 'bold' film, as vheissu stated above, and I think very worthy of viewing; probably one of the best in the last year.

manolia
01-10-2008, 05:06 AM
I'm glad you liked it! I had mixed feelings the first time I saw it, didn't really understand why he'd want to used 3 completely different timelines, but same characters. I appreciated it a lot more when I saw it again on my own.
I loved the soundtrack for it from the beginning...and Hugh Jackman...(bold though?...hmmm).

Glad you liked it too :) I loved the soundtrack too AND Hugh Jackman..he is one of my favourites ;)

manolia, I just saw this film, but not in the theater. Still it looked terrific on my new HD TV, even though I don't have the newer DVD player connected yet. The special effects were well done and most times not overdone. I really loved that tree and the reflection. The film had some very interesting and artistic imagery. I will have to see it again, when I do have the new player connected, which should be soon. I also, had such mixed feelings about it, but I think it is the type of film, in which one has to sit back and just go with, almost subliminally. I heard a reviewer compare it to the film "2001: A Space Odyssey"...I thought that an interesting comparison.

I liked some of this film better than other parts. I liked the 'present' and I liked the 'future', but I was not sure at all about some sections of the 'past'...some of that seemed a little too 'way out' to me or corny, the way it was presented. This is so curious, manolia; I had just completed the novel by D.H.L. -"The Plumed Serpent" when I viewed this film, and some of that history and myth in the 'past' segments reminded me of the same elements in "TPS". I wondered if the screen writer happened to read the L book.

One thing I did find totally odd, and annoying about this film, was the fact that this man's wife is dying and he never has any time to spend with her. I guess that speaks for men, right? The way they all get caught up in something, usually a hobby or work and obsess; well hey, in all fairness, I guess, we woman can do that, also, at times. Granted he wanted to cure her, but still I would have thought, he would cherish his possible 'limited' time with his beloved wife. This part of trying to save her with this limited short timespan, seemed to me to be a bit unrealistic, as well. It takes years to test me drugs and research, etc. to see if they are truly safe or effective long term. These might be the reasons, I could not give it a 10/10, in my opinion, although I do think it was a very 'bold' film, as vheissu stated above, and I think very worthy of viewing; probably one of the best in the last year.

Wow i guess i have to go and buy "The plumed serpent" at once ;) :) ..
I liked the part about the past very much :nod: ..now about certain parts of the movie being unrealistic..hehe the whole movie is unrealistic so i guess that i didn't mind ;)
I am so glad that my movie club chose this film..it was a bad season (the movies they picked since September were nothing special ;) ) and this is a movie that one has to see in a theater to fully appreciate it ;)

amalia1985
01-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Manolia, my friend, I missed you!!!!!!
You are absolutely right, "The Fountain" was great!!!

manolia
01-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Hi Amalitsa :) Missed you too :)

LadyWentworth
01-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Glory

I love this movie so much!!! I haven't seen it in a long time. I was up until 5 in the morning watching it! There is no reason for a film to be this great! I first saw it in the theater when I was only 11. In fact, I liked it so much that I went to see it again. I have seen it numerous times since then. I never tire of it! The acting is superb. The entire look of the film is brilliant. It definitely deserved its Oscar for Cinematography! Then there is the music!!! My all-time favorite composition for a film! If I have any complaint about the movie, it is Denzel Washington. Sure he won the Oscar, but he is just annoying throughout the film until Morgan Freeman (a man that I think is far superior to Denzel with his acting ability - he could've been nominated over Denzel) puts him in his place. It is only then that I don't mind Denzel in the film. Morgan Freeman, though. I love this man! I have ever since he was Easy Reader on "The Electric Company". :p I have no problem with Matthew Broderick as the lead. People seem to find fault with the casting because they can't seem to look past the fact that he was Ferris Bueller. That really bothers me. Broderick had appeared in many dramatic roles before. I think his performance was very well done. Besides, if you know anything about the real Colonel Robert Gould Shaw, you'd know there was no finer choice of an actor to portray him than Matthew Broderick. Very intelligent casting! :thumbs_up

I have seen this movie so many times that I couldn't even give you a count. I have seen this movie so many times that I can go word-for-word with the dialogue in the film! That is kind of frustrating because it makes the film go by faster. :(

Anyway, watching it again last night I was reminded of why "Glory" is my #1 all-time favorite film. Like I mentioned before, I love the acting, look of the film and music, but it is the telling of this regiment's story. It is the fact that no matter how many times I see it, I get emotional at the same moments in the film every time!!! "Field of Dreams" is really the only other movie that can do that to me. But "Glory" has multiple moments. If a film that I practically know by heart can still have that affect on me, no matter how many times I see it, then it can be nowhere else on my list but at the top. :)

So, in conclusion, I give this film a big 10/10. Brilliant and beautiful film! :D

amalia1985
01-10-2008, 05:43 PM
"The Portrait of Jennie"
9/10

atiguhya padma
01-11-2008, 01:10 PM
The Lives of Others

9/10

A great debut by the director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck and a superb acting performance by the late Ulrich Muhe. Anyone who has read Anna Funder's wonderful Stasiland, will appreciate some of the subtle aspects of this film, all about the ripening of the life of a Stasi Officer through his monitoring of the lives of a group of artists. Its a magnificent piece of cinema, the theme brilliantly underplayed and subtly brought to life. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone fascinated by how people can change and what that transformation involves; how the inner life can overcome the darkness of oppression; and how sacrifice can affect everything. It is ironic that Muhe, who nurtured the character of Wiesler from the dead automaton of the Stasi officer to the subtle inner life of the post-unification mailman, should himself have moved from the rich life of a consummate actor to his final days of suffering from stomach cancer. This film is the best memory we could have of him.

byquist
01-11-2008, 02:49 PM
The Crowe-Bale "3:10 to Yuma," even better the second time. Very rich film with many themes.

mmanuelap
01-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Last movie I saw was My Name is not Johnny. It's a brazilian movie. It is about a guy that deals with drugs, he sells it and whatever. It's vary sad, but wooonderful! great movie.

vheissu
01-11-2008, 08:42 PM
I am Legend
This is one bizzarre zombie film. There are quite a few questions, which will obviously remain unanswered, as I don't think there will be a sequel to this (I really hope not), the suspense is good, the plot is not too bad but the end is just a bit...meh. What I'm trying to say, is that after all the stuff the guy's endured and all the action and planning, it's as if the producers decided that they should just cut it short because it had reached the maximum amount of time they could afford. So bam! that's it, it's over.
And the little speech at the and could have been left out.

7/10 (I did jump at one or two scenes)

Il Penseroso
01-11-2008, 09:08 PM
The Lives of Others

9/10

A great debut by the director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck and a superb acting performance by the late Ulrich Muhe. Anyone who has read Anna Funder's wonderful Stasiland, will appreciate some of the subtle aspects of this film, all about the ripening of the life of a Stasi Officer through his monitoring of the lives of a group of artists. Its a magnificent piece of cinema, the theme brilliantly underplayed and subtly brought to life. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone fascinated by how people can change and what that transformation involves; how the inner life can overcome the darkness of oppression; and how sacrifice can affect everything. It is ironic that Muhe, who nurtured the character of Wiesler from the dead automaton of the Stasi officer to the subtle inner life of the post-unification mailman, should himself have moved from the rich life of a consummate actor to his final days of suffering from stomach cancer. This film is the best memory we could have of him.

Interesting; I just watched this last night. I too thought it was an excellent movie, particularly as it ripened toward the end, with great depth. 9/10

Good to see you around atiguhya.

The night before that I watched a Swiss film called Vitus. It's about a prodigal piano player stuggling to find something worth attaching himself to in the world. The actor playing Vitus is an extraordinary player himself, and some of the scenes of him at the piano floored me. Basically everything they did wrong in the movie August Rush - a hell of a lot (I was dragged to this against my will before I even knew what it was) - is done perfectly in this film. Also 9/10

Idril
01-11-2008, 10:50 PM
The Lives of Others

9/10

I saw that movie just recently as well and like Il Penseroso, I thought it was incredible.

I just watched Shower, a wonderful, quiet, yet deeply moving Chinese movie directed by Yang Zhang about the conflict between the new, modern China and the old, traditional life played out in the context of a family. One son has left the small town and become a successful business man in the south, the other son, who is mentally handicapped and their father remain in the small town running a bath house. The story begins when the "successful" son comes home because he mistakenly believes his father has died. The story is very bittersweet and it takes it's time in telling the story which allows you to really soak it in. I would definitely recommend this movie...9/10

Tersely
01-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Sweeny Todd. It was excellent. My husband went with me and thought it was good, and hes a tough critic. First time he ever made me stay until the end of the credits roll to make sure there wasnt nothing left. Highly Recommended**

LadyWentworth
01-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Sweeny Todd. It was excellent. My husband went with me and thought it was good, and hes a tough critic. First time he ever made me stay until the end of the credits roll to make sure there wasnt nothing left. Highly Recommended**

Ah, another one that finds the film to be fantastic!!! :thumbs_up

crazefest456
01-15-2008, 12:36 AM
Death Sentence...I rate it 7/10 because of the humor (white-collar guy turns vigilante) and the interesting action sequences (did anyone say, shotgun?). Otherwise, it was directed poorly, and there was some moral message in the end, but the audience was too distracted by Jim Carrey's new haircut to care.

kiz_paws
01-15-2008, 03:41 AM
I went to see Sweeny Todd yesterday. I think that the gore in it goes a bit too far in places. I didn't know that Alan Rickman could sing -- evidently he doesn't know either?? (sorry, I sound snobby, but really...).

Johnny Depp is his usual eye candy. The make up in this movie is awesome, as is the costumes and sets.

Overall, the movie plodded on for about two hours.... so I think I'll rate it about a 5 or 6 out of 10 stars.

LadyWentworth
01-15-2008, 03:45 AM
I went to see Sweeny Todd yesterday. I think that the gore in it goes a bit too far in places. I didn't know that Alan Rickman could sing -- evidently he doesn't know either?? (sorry, I sound snobby, but really...).

Johnny Depp is his usual eye candy. The make up in this movie is awesome, as is the costumes and sets.

Overall, the movie plodded on for about two hours.... so I think I'll rate it about a 5 or 6 out of 10 stars.

Oh, you just HAD to do that didn't you??? Well, says you!! :p :D

kiz_paws
01-15-2008, 03:51 AM
Oh, you just HAD to do that didn't you??? Well, says you!! :p :D

Oh, uh, sorry Lady W, and Tersley -- but I really didn't enjoy it too much (the gore was crazy!). Johnny was cute singing, though. And the scene where the little boy proclaims he'd always look after that woman was touching (I had tears at that point, I grudgingly admit)... ;)

amalia1985
01-16-2008, 08:15 AM
"Sweet Charity"
9/10
I simply love Shirley...

Idril
01-18-2008, 12:14 AM
I finally saw Stardust and I really liked it which is a little surprising because I generally never like movies taken from books I've read. I think the fact that it's been years since I read it helped because the details were incredible fuzzy and it also helped that it wasn't one of my favorite Gaiman books to begin with. Not that I didn't like it but I just didn't have that emotional connection to it that I would've had with say, Neverwhere or American Gods. And it was the first movie I've seen without subtitles in awhile, it was nice to just be able to watch the movie instead of reading the movie, so much more relaxing.

DeathAngel
01-18-2008, 06:02 PM
"Sweeney Todd"

Some of the characters were from Harry Potter?
And the guy from Borat?
The singing was aright, but it was wonderously amusing to watch
and so sad,

Johnny Depp!

I did like Borat too...

vheissu
01-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Zodiac

It could have been made so much better, but it ended up being too long.

4/10

amalia1985
01-19-2008, 07:42 AM
"The Notebook"
9/10
I don't like romantic dramas, but this one was really great. Ryan Gosling is an excellent actor.

Virgil
01-19-2008, 02:07 PM
My wife and I are going out to see "No Country For Od Men" tonight. Actually we haven't gone out to see a movie in years. We've both read the excellent book and the movie has gotten great reviews. Has anyone seen it? If so what did you think?

I guess I'll have to review it for the thread tomorrow. ;)

Shurtugal
01-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

bloody! was it confussing! but it had some saweet fighting scenes, rather the whole movie was a sweet fighting scene. :lol: but it can be confusing, just watched it twice and still am a little lost.

10/10

TEND
01-19-2008, 04:22 PM
My wife and I are going out to see "No Country For Od Men" tonight. Actually we haven't gone out to see a movie in years. We've both read the excellent book and the movie has gotten great reviews. Has anyone seen it? If so what did you think?

It's very good Virg, excellent direction. So much to look at, it's one I'll have to watch again when it's on video.

browneyedbailey
01-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Annapolis 10/10. James Fronco looks sooooo good in uniform (although he looks good anyway...).

Lily Adams
01-19-2008, 06:39 PM
I just saw Revenge of the Nerds.

Oh. My. "Bob".

That movie is pure genius. So stupid in a GOOD WAY.

I MUST PURCHASE IT.

1,000,000/10

Someday I will find the theme song, too.

The time has come.

Hehhhhh Lewisssssss..............:blush:

LadyWentworth
01-19-2008, 11:54 PM
I just saw Revenge of the Nerds.

Oh. My. "Bob".

That movie is pure genius. So stupid in a GOOD WAY.

I MUST PURCHASE IT.

1,000,000/10

Someday I will find the theme song, too.

The time has come.

Hehhhhh Lewisssssss..............:blush:

So, you finally saw it, huh? Do you think that you will give the sequels a try? Well, at least the second one?

Lily Adams
01-20-2008, 02:11 AM
So, you finally saw it, huh? Do you think that you will give the sequels a try? Well, at least the second one?

I did see the second one this afternoon because the DVD I rented has both of them on it. It certainly is watchable, but not nearly as awesome/funny as the first one. I watched it because

1. It was there
2. It has Mark Mothersbaugh and DEVO music in it
3. I wanted to see more of...Lewis :blush:

Niamh
01-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Went to see Alien V's Preditor 2 last night with the BF. :sick: :sick: :sick: Dont know how many times i wanted to throw up! The BF thought it was excellent and loved how they ended it so they could make another one. Told him if another one does come out, he's going with his friends.:sick:
I owed it to him anyway seeing as he did go to see Enchanted with me the day before!:p (when we got to the cinema we only had a choice between Enchanted and PS i Love you ehich there was no way i was ever going to see.) Thats actually really enjoyable. The chipmonk rules!:p

HerGuardian
01-20-2008, 05:15 PM
I am legend

9.5/10

Dori
01-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

bloody! was it confussing! but it had some saweet fighting scenes, rather the whole movie was a sweet fighting scene. :lol: but it can be confusing, just watched it twice and still am a little lost.

10/10

That movie rocks! Have you played the game Final Fantasy VII for playstation? That might clear things up. If you haven't I believe there's some sort of feature on the DVD that will take you through the video game.

The last movie I watched was Forrest Gump. Rating: 9/10

AimusSage
01-20-2008, 05:56 PM
watch the dvds of Goodbye Lenin and Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain today.

I rate them 8 and 9 respectively.

Virgil
01-20-2008, 07:40 PM

Well, we saw th movie and it was outstanding. It was as good as the book, which was also outstanding. Now be aware, there was a lot of violence, so if that bothers you, you won't care for this. It's a modern western, meaning that it's set in the south west in the 1980s, a world where the values of the cowboy (honor, self reliance) meet up with the world of drug dealers and big money. Tommy Lee Jones as Sheriff Ed Bell, Javier Bardem as Aton Chigurh, Josh Brolin as Llewelen Moss are outstanding. They personify the characters perfectly. I have never heard of Javier Bardem but he is perfect for the personification of evil ("the ultimate bad-***," as he's once referred). Wow.

Now I would say you should read the book first and see the movie after, but in this case I don't think it matters. The movie follows the novel reliably as far as i remember, and by seeing the movie first you avoid the point of view shifts in the novel, which took a little getting used to. But by all means read the novel eventually. McCarthy writes the best prose of any living American novelist, and it's really a very intense read.

Oh we hadn't been to the movies in a long time. Boy, did it get expensive. $11 per ticket, and then two small sodas and a medium popcorn was $15.

TEND
01-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Oh we hadn't been to the movies in a long time. Boy, did it get expensive. $11 per ticket, and then two small sodas and a medium popcorn was $15.

But I'm sure that has nothing to do with why nobody goes to the cinema anymore :p.

uncc49er06
01-20-2008, 08:04 PM
The last movie that I saw was Sweeney Todd, and I loved, loved, LOVED it!
It was so dark and twisted but funny! Depp did a GREAT job!:thumbs_up
Can't wait til it comes out on DVD!

papayahed
01-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Reno 911! Miami - It was the usual cast of characters but I must say I prefer the TV series to the movie. It seemed like nudity was thrown in just to throw it in, perhaps if they would have thrown in more of the quirkiness from the series instead it would have been better.

6.5/10.

Shalot
01-21-2008, 02:19 AM
Bug
7/10

This movie starred Ashley Judd and I have always liked her. She was convincing here in her role here as Agnes, the vulnerable, abused, substance-using and easily led woman who gets involved with a mysterious stranger who ends up being more dangerous than her wife-beating ex-husband.

I loved Ashley Judd's wardrobe/costume in the movie. It's not a style I would like to wear myself, but whoever picked the clothes and styled her hair (or didn't style it) really knew the character type. They really nailed the white trash look - I've seen dozens of women just like this character in greasy bars and gas stations all my life.

Anyway, Agnes and her new friend Peter are infested with aphids, which are small bugs that feed off of their blood.

This movie kind of reminded me of another movie I wrote about in this thread, In A Dark Place, which is based on a Henry James story. Both stories leave the viewer to wonder if the characters are battling sinister forces, or if they're just plain nuts. However, by the end of Bug I was thoroughly convinced that these two people were crazy, whereas the Henry James story wasn't as clear cut. The constant shots of the crack pipe amid their aphid defense system made it pretty clear that poor Agnes was completely delusional.

kiz_paws
01-21-2008, 03:14 AM
Well, I went and saw Sweeney Todd. Depp plays a convincing madman barber all righty. His singing is not too bad, either. Alan Rickman could use some voice lessons (sorry to say to the Snape fans out there), however... ;)

There is quite a lot of really good action in this movie, moments to smile about, moments to shake your head at, and plenty of gore. Don't want to spoil it for anyone else, but some of the gore scenes didn't have to be repeated again and again. Oh well. What an ending, too! Wow.

I guess I'll rate it about 7/10 -- it was certainly not the most refined movie I've seen, but it kept my interest, and hey, Depp was in it... what can I say... ;)

Nightshade
01-21-2008, 06:47 AM
House of flying daggershad bought it,
Got to say it was pretty amazing watching wise... lovley scenery and the plot was pretty good too. The most amizingthing though is how quiet the filmis in comparison to western films... it makeseverything more significant somehow.

Icould have done without the cliched ending though..actuall ditch the wholelove thing IMO would have made itan even better film, still 8 and a half cookies.

THX-1138
01-21-2008, 02:36 PM
john tucker must die 0/10

Niamh
01-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Yikes! We pay the same in Euro over here as you do in dollers! But $11 is only about €7.60 so we are getting ripped off more than you guys!

Bug
7/10

This movie starred Ashley Judd and I have always liked her.

I liked her in Where the Heart is.

LadyWentworth
01-21-2008, 04:36 PM
There is quite a lot of really good action in this movie, moments to smile about, moments to shake your head at, and plenty of gore. Don't want to spoil it for anyone else, but some of the gore scenes didn't have to be repeated again and again. Oh well. What an ending, too! Wow.
You know what? If you ever would've seen the stage show, or know enough about it, the blood is repeated over and over again in that. This film, I felt, was a pretty good version of the original show from Broadway (the revival is horrendous - they have Mrs. Lovett playing a tuba!!! Why?!? Maybe I am just stupid but I don't get it). Pretty much how it is done on film, that is how it is done on stage. There is blood. Just not as much, of course. That is the difference between the two. Which I suppose less blood is a good thing, right? :)

I just remember that when I saw it, on stage, a couple never returned after the intermission. When I think about that now, it is so funny to me because the stage show would be G-rated compared to the movie! :p

LadyWentworth
01-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Reno 911! Miami - It was the usual cast of characters but I must say I prefer the TV series to the movie. It seemed like nudity was thrown in just to throw it in, perhaps if they would have thrown in more of the quirkiness from the series instead it would have been better.

6.5/10.

I was actually really disappointed in this movie. There were some lines that were OK, but it just doesn't compare to the series. I agree with the point about nudity. It just wasn't the same as the series. I would probably give it a 5/10. I was disappointed.

Janine
01-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Well, we saw the movie and it was outstanding. It was as good as the book, which was also outstanding. Now be aware, there was a lot of violence, so if that bothers you, you won't care for this. It's a modern western, meaning that it's set in the south west in the 1980s, a world where the values of the cowboy (honor, self reliance) meet up with the world of drug dealers and big money. Tommy Lee Jones as Sheriff Ed Bell, Javier Bardem as Aton Chigurh, Josh Brolin as Llewelen Moss are outstanding. They personify the characters perfectly. I have never heard of Javier Bardem but he is perfect for the personification of evil ("the ultimate bad-***," as he's once referred). Wow.

Virgil, that movie sounds interesting. I like Tommy-Lee Jones in somethings - a few I could have done without, but basically I do think he is a good actor. If the violence is not there for shock sake and really has a purpose I usually don't mind it. I usually wait to watch the really bloody films on DVD - not as bad on a small screen to deal with. I like the actor Javier Bordem emensely. I have never seen him play anything but a gentle, nice type role so, it will be something to see him as the 'personification of evil.'

And yes, I can't believe the price of movies either. My son told me he and his wife went out the other night and the movie cost them $30! I said - what??? But when he broke it down like you did sure enough it totaled that amount. Yikes, I don't think I will be going to the big screen anytime soon.

Shalot, I like Ashley Judd also and just saw her in a romantic comedy, "Someone Like You", which I thoroughly enjoyed. Apparently from reading up on Amazon and the reviews I found out it is based on the book: "Animal Husbandry". It also, stars Gregg Kinnear and Hugh Jackman; Jackman is adorable as the womanizing Eddie. It was funny and cute and entertaining, with a serious side, as well. Funny, I liked the clothes that were chosen for her in this film; she always wears things well. These were more 'officy' and 'casual', not 'trashy', and she looked great in ever scene. I am curious now to see this other film, but to tell you the truth, reading your comments made me itch - ick :sick: aphids...how horrible! I didn't know they even attacked humans. I thought it was just plant life.

LadyWentworth, when reading your post about "Sweeny Todd" to Kiz, I was a little confused, if you meant the stage play had less blood. I read over this line and it seemed to indicate the opposite but then you go onto say "... I suppose less blood is a good thing,....

You know what? If you ever would've seen the stage show, or know enough about it, the blood is repeated over and over again in that.

I don't know, after reading so much about this film and the blood I don't know if I can go and see it. I have one question, do they actually show the killing? My friend told me she could not go see it, knowing it showed the actual throat slitting. I don't think I could stomach that, either. So are we talking about gore as an aftermath, or implied, or downright realism? I saw "From Hell" with Johnny Depp and I could deal with that - about Jack the Ripper, but the thing is they never showed anyone being actually murdered, only the aftermath or murder scene. I hope you don't mind my questioning, but the thing is, everyone seems to keep talking on here about this 'blood' factor and I don't get a clear picture of just how bad it is. I think I could deal with the rats but not sure about the blood, if it is really excessive.

amalia1985
01-21-2008, 05:28 PM
"The 39 Steps"
The 1979 production with the extra-amazing, extra-talented Robert Powell

10/10, naturally!

LadyWentworth
01-21-2008, 06:33 PM
LadyWentworth, when reading your post about "Sweeny Todd" to Kiz, I was a little confused, if you meant the stage play had less blood. I read over this line and it seemed to indicate the opposite but then you go onto say "... I suppose less blood is a good thing,....

I don't know, after reading so much about this film and the blood I don't know if I can go and see it. I have one question, do they actually show the killing? My friend told me she could not go see it, knowing it showed the actual throat slitting. I don't think I could stomach that, either. So are we talking about gore as an aftermath, or implied, or downright realism? I saw "From Hell" with Johnny Depp and I could deal with that - about Jack the Ripper, but the thing is they never showed anyone being actually murdered, only the aftermath or murder scene. I hope you don't mind my questioning, but the thing is, everyone seems to keep talking on here about this 'blood' factor and I don't get a clear picture of just how bad it is. I think I could deal with the rats but not sure about the blood, if it is really excessive.

No, the stage show is "bloody" and the film is. The difference between the 2 is that there is less blood on stage than on film because they aren't capable of doing on stage what they can do on film. So, well, how do I say this? OK. Say one murder is committed on stage. That same murder takes place on film, but now they use more blood when he gets killed (as opposed to the smaller amount on stage). That is how the stage show has less blood. Do I make sense?

Here is a case where I think it would be bettter to explain if you'd already seen the film. I highly recommended the movie to people, BUT I also DID say that it isn't for EVERYONE. So, yes, you see the murders take place (you see it happen on stage!). I normally don't care for really bloody scenes, but I knew what this whole thing was before I saw it. So I was "prepared". Then when I saw it, it really didn't bother me at all because I think it looks so cartoonish. I think it even has an orange hue to it. It looks like paint! I even heard some critics say how cartoonish it looks (there are a lot of Sondheim fans who have problems with that - I don't know why THAT would bother them!). It doesn't bother me at all. Like I said, if you think it MIGHT bother you or your friend, then don't see it. If nothing else, wait until it comes on DVD and borrow it from the library. Then you can fast forward that part! :p

I saw "From Hell" on TV. It was all edited, though. So, I really don't know what the bodies looked like after the murders. Were they pretty graphic? If they were, THAT I CAN'T watch! Especially the last murder! I've seen the photo. I don't think I could handle looking at that!

"The 39 Steps"

10/10, naturally!

Did you ever see the original version from 1935 with Robert Donat? It was directed by Hitchcock.

kiz_paws
01-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Lady W, thanks for straightening that out, I was a little confused, too. :)

But how you worded the murders as "cartoonish" -- yeah, thats it! Thank you for putting words to something I couldn't describe.... After the first one or two (gruesome), it DID get cartoonish. (but Depp is sooooo cute.... yeah, I already mentioned that...) :p So, I don't know, Janine, you will have to decide about seeing this cartoonish act going on and on.... If you go, do let us know what your thoughts were. :)

Janine
01-21-2008, 06:49 PM
No, the stage show is "bloody" and the film is. The difference between the 2 is that there is less blood on stage than on film because they aren't capable of doing on stage what they can do on film. So, well, how do I say this? OK. Say one murder is committed on stage. That same murder takes place on film, but now they use more blood when he gets killed (as opposed to the smaller amount on stage). That is how the stage show has less blood. Do I make sense?
Perfect sense. Also, I would imagine on stage one it is taken out of the realm of 'reality' and also you are further away from the action and killing. I think it would be very suspenseful, knowing after-awhile, just was was coming for the victim.

Here is a case where I think it would be bettter to explain if you'd already seen the film. I highly recommended the movie to people, BUT I also DID say that it isn't for EVERYONE. So, yes, you see the murders take place (you see it happen on stage!). I normally don't care for really bloody scenes, but I knew what this whole thing was before I saw it. So I was "prepared". Then when I saw it, it really didn't bother me at all because I think it looks so cartoonish. I think it even has an orange hue to it. It looks like paint! I even heard some critics say how cartoonish it looks (there are a lot of Sondheim fans who have problems with that - I don't know why THAT would bother them!). It doesn't bother me at all. Like I said, if you think it MIGHT bother you or your friend, then don't see it. If nothing else, wait until it comes on DVD and borrow it from the library. Then you can fast forward that part! :p

I understand this paragraph completely, too. Thanks. I think I will wait till it comes to DVD. I think I do know what you mean about being 'cartoonish' and therefore not so real looking. It is not like I can't see gore. I have seen many a gory, brutal battle scene and gotten through it, ok. I might find some parts distasteful and disturbing, but I can deal with it; just not sure I can on a huge movie screen; so thanks for the good explanation. I knew you said that before - that the film was not for everyone. Sorry to ask again but I just needed specifics.

I saw "From Hell" on TV. It was all edited, though. So, I really don't know what the bodies looked like after the murders. Were they pretty graphic? If they were, THAT I CAN'T watch! Especially the last murder! I've seen the photo. I don't think I could handle looking at that!

Yes, pretty graphic, but somehow knowing they are already dead and just lifeless bodies, did not bother me as much as seeing a body with life still vital in it, being slaughtered. The film and JD's role intrigued me. I later read about the strangler and found out tons on him and other more plausible theories. Actually, the theory presented in this film, has been pretty much disregarded now, for more legitimate ones. Interesting case it is and still unsolved. The investigation is still ongoing, too -amazing!

LW,I wondered about that Hitchcock version from 1935 with Robert Donat? I saw it and liked it. I think I actually own it in a set. So, then it was remade, and do you know who directed that one? Was it Hitch again?

LadyWentworth
01-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Kiz and Janine, I apologize for confusing you guys. :) I am known to speak in my own language. I read what I'd posted a couple of times, but it made perfect sense to me. Then I realized that maybe I was speaking in my own LadyWentworth language! I say things that would make sense in my mind and my mind only because I am taking it for granted that everyone will know what I am talking about! They will automatically know what I mean! :p So, sorry! :D

Perfect sense. Also, I would imagine on stage one it is taken out of the realm of 'reality' and also you are further away from the action and killing. I think it would be very suspenseful, knowing after-awhile, just was was coming for the victim.
I will tell you something. The blood on stage looked VERY realistic. At least it did with the production that I saw. Another thing is that it really looked like he slit the person's throat everytime he did it. It actually looked more realistic on stage than it does in the film. To not give anything away, there is a time when it does look realistic in the film, but I think Tim Burton did that purposely. I think he went over-the-top with every murder deliberately until that point. Anyway, Janine, it might bother you more to see the stage version rather than the film! :p

LW,I wondered about that Hitchcock version from 1935 with Robert Donat? I saw it and liked it. I think I actually own it in a set. So, then it was remade, and do you know who directed that one? Was it Hitch again?

I have no idea who the director was for the remake. I know it was remade in the 1950's. But I haven't a clue as to who directed it or who stars in it. I really liked the original, though. Have you ever read the book?

*Classic*Charm*
01-21-2008, 10:24 PM
"The 39 Steps"

10/10, naturally!

That's a Hitchcock! I like that film. It's one of the best of his early films.

*Classic*Charm*
01-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Oops. I didn't see your mention of the date. The Hitchcock version was a number of years earlier.

amalia1985
01-22-2008, 06:42 AM
Did you ever see the original version from 1935 with Robert Donat? It was directed by Hitchcock.

:thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up Yes, of course I have seen it, and it remains one my all-time favorite films!! However, I love Robert Powell, and he did an excellent job- as always- in the remake, which was equally good, in my opinion.:) :)

Virgil
01-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Virgil, that movie sounds interesting. I like Tommy-Lee Jones in somethings - a few I could have done without, but basically I do think he is a good actor. If the violence is not there for shock sake and really has a purpose I usually don't mind it. I usually wait to watch the really bloody films on DVD - not as bad on a small screen to deal with. I like the actor Javier Bordem emensely. I have never seen him play anything but a gentle, nice type role so, it will be something to see him as the 'personification of evil.'

Tommy Lee jones was good, but Bordem was great. I've never seen him before, and now i can't picture him as a nice type. ;) Actualy Josh Brolin was great too as Lluwellen Moss. He seemed like the character right out of the novel. I see this movie got eight academy award nominations. I hope they win.

Check out the trailers: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809701422/trailer

Janine
01-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Oops. I didn't see your mention of the date. The Hitchcock version was a number of years earlier.

Hi,*Classic*Charm* Sometimes Hitchcock did remake his early films. I wonder if this is the case. I will try looking it up.

Tommy Lee jones was good, but Bordem was great. I've never seen him before, and now i can't picture him as a nice type. Actualy Josh Brolin was great too as Lluwellen Moss. He seemed like the character right out of the novel. I see this movie got eight academy award nominations. I hope they win.

Hi Virgil, Yes, I agree about Bordem; he is an amazing actor. I have only seen him in about 3 films, so far and he plays the good guy (basically) in each. I guess his time has finally arrived to play a villan; well that is cool, shows his versitility. I am anxious now, to see this film, although you said it has a lot of violence. I am not sure of the other actors you mentioned. I will probably recognise them, when I see them on the trailer. Thanks for providing the link. I will go and watch it now.
Wow - that many nominations; interesting.

pussnboots
01-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Janine,

what other movies did Bordem do ?

Domer121
01-22-2008, 05:34 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: Juno...:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: lOVED IT

Janine
01-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Virgil,I just saw one film - "The Sea Inside." It was kind of depressing, about a man who had been a parapelegic all his life practically, and felt he had the right to an assisted suicide. The law kept denying him. It takes place in Spain or Portugal and is a true story. He was very good in this film, but the film is subtitled and quite slow-paced. I have only seen him in foreign films, so far. The other was "The Dancer Upstairs". This was set in Mexico and he played an officer or a detective. That one might appeal to you more. It had more intrigue in it, but also subtitled, or so I think, but I may be wrong about that. He has an accent normally. I noticed in the trailer he dropped that, or rather is speaking in an American accent. His face always shows a lot of emotion and subtle nuances of expression. This film you just saw, looks more like a thriller, am I right? Interesting. I like 'thrillers' very much. The violence did look a bit disturbing though. It seemed to me Tommy-Lee Jones looked to be really flat in his performance, but I can't truly judge from a trailer. I will wait till it comes to DVD, most likely. I notice this film is a Cohen Brother's film...interesting.

pussnboots, sorry, I had not seen you there, asking the same question. Didn't mean to skip over you. You have to get an avatar, so you are more noticable. Only now on checking the progress on the page did I see your entry.

Anza
01-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail
HYSTERICAL!

Janine
01-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail
HYSTERICAL!

One of my all time favorites! I second that "HYSTERICAL!"

My favorite scenes are the 'holy hand-granade' and the 'killer bunny'! Also, the '3 questions' and the opening scenes in the stable....in other words, the whole movie! :lol:

bouquin
01-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Last Sunday I went to see We Own the Night. It was quite good, worth watching. It's got Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Wahlberg in it and the girl is Eva Mendes.

byquist
02-02-2008, 12:28 AM
"The Simple Life of Noah Dearborn" -- Sydney Poitier, inspiring film, good message

manolia
02-02-2008, 12:33 PM
"The tin drum" A beautiful movie 8/10 ;)

Shurtugal
02-02-2008, 12:50 PM
agh... i just watch star wars III.

100/10! they did an awsome job on the ending!

Dori
02-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Death Sentence
Rating: 6/10; the beginning was great, but then it just went downhill from there.

Niamh
02-02-2008, 05:32 PM
So far today i have watched
Persuasion (for about the tenth time. More i watch it, the more i hate what they did to the ending)
The Da Vinci Code
Kingdom of Heaven
The Fountain
Yeah i know. Strange combo....

Shalot
02-02-2008, 05:35 PM

Oh yeah!! I just love it when Darth Vader speaks for the first time. And the part where he is named Darth Vader. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Shurtugal
02-02-2008, 05:52 PM
but i hate when padamay dies!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bawling: agh, they did such a good job making Any turn....

Annamariah
02-02-2008, 06:12 PM
but i hate when padamay dies!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bawling: agh, they did such a good job making Any turn....

I agree. (I like The Attack of the Clones better, because it's not so sad, but on the other hand, Anakin is even better-looking in The Revenge of the Sith...:rolleyes: ) But it's a great movie anyway!

I saw Thunderbirds movie (2004) today. It was not very good, but I liked it anyway, because I was a huge fan of Thunderbirds series as a child and I'm very disappointed they don't show it on TV any more :(

jon1jt
02-02-2008, 07:55 PM
The Hottest State, directed by Ethan Hawke. Highly recommend.

Scenes Of A Sexual Nature (no it's not a porn) Great flick.

Niamh
02-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Ever after.

genoveva
02-02-2008, 11:19 PM
The Kite Runner

Anyone hear how the Afghani actors situation resolved itself?

I give it and 8/10

LadyWentworth
02-03-2008, 12:55 AM

I thought that one was the best of the 3. Maybe I liked it the best as it was the "darkest" of the 3. After all, my 3rd favorite film of all-time is "The Empire Strikes Back". That was definitely the "darkest" of the first 3!

I agree with the ending. I was very satisfied with how they tied all the stories together at the end of that one.

mmanuelap
02-04-2008, 09:39 PM
The Kite Runner

Anyone hear how the Afghani actors situation resolved itself?

I give it and 8/10

The book here in Brazil is so popular, but my sister told me it isn't all that good. have you read it? do you know if the film is just like the book or a little different? :)

TEND
02-07-2008, 03:20 PM
The Departed.....(though I've seen it before and probably reviewed it before)
I'm doing an assignment on it for a film class. In the past two days I've probably seen this one scene about 200 times.....ugh.......Still love the movie though, and I think it is up there around 9 and half out of ten. Fantastic film.

Ydfkdy
02-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Transformers,with my kids.In our eye's speaking for my kids aswell,that movie rocked!

Idril
02-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Last weekend I watched a couple of strange little Danish movies and one incredibly visually impressive Chinese movie. The Danish ones were Adam Apples starring Mads Mikkelsen, who has become a favorite of mine. The movie was odd, incredibly odd about neo nazis and brain tumors and...it was just odd. The other Danish movie was The Celebration which was a giant mess of a movie. Not mess as in bad just mess as in intense emotional distress. It was very intense and confusing but worth the time. The Chinese movie was Hero starring Jet Li. Watching those fight scenes was like watching a ballet and the story was almost operatic in scope and emotion. The use of color in the telling of the different versions of the story was just absolutely brilliant and the actor who played Broken Sword, Tony Leung Chiu Wai, was eye candy at it's most stunning. :D

Shalot
02-07-2008, 07:23 PM
The Departed.....(though I've seen it before and probably reviewed it before)
I'm doing an assignment on it for a film class. In the past two days I've probably seen this one scene about 200 times.....ugh.......Still love the movie though, and I think it is up there around 9 and half out of ten. Fantastic film.

I am especially fond of that scene in the movie where Comfortably Numb is playing after Costigan shows up at his ex-shrink's apartment, and after he pulls the picture of her on bike out and hangs on the wall. That is a great scene :thumbs_up :D

TEND
02-08-2008, 08:16 PM
I am especially fond of that scene in the movie where Comfortably Numb is playing after Costigan shows up at his ex-shrink's apartment, and after he pulls the picture of her on bike out and hangs on the wall. That is a great scene :thumbs_up :D

I agree! I love that scene, and if I was allowed to choose the particular sequence I'm thouroughly analyzing I think I probably would've picked that part. Instead I'm assigned the chase scene which is still really good, crazy cool editing, lotsa quick transitions, fun stuff.

1n50mn14
02-08-2008, 11:53 PM
^^ Seven Years in Tibet. <3<3. Brad Pitt does not look like Brad Pitt in that movie. I wish it were longer, though I can't watch the killing, it's too depressing.

9/10

Sir Bartholomew
02-09-2008, 06:51 AM
David Lynch's Wild at Heart I'd give it a 1 out of 4
Pontecorvo's The Battle of Algiers 4 out of 4

Scarlet'sWalk
02-09-2008, 08:38 AM
August Rush.

Amazing movie with amazing music and cast.

Scarlet'sWalk
02-09-2008, 08:41 AM
^^ Seven Years in Tibet. <3<3. Brad Pitt does not look like Brad Pitt in that movie. I wish it were longer, though I can't watch the killing, it's too depressing.

9/10

Ah yeah Seven Years in Tibet is great. I loved its plot. :thumbs_up

bouquin
02-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Charlie Wilson's War ... excellent!

Gadget Girl
02-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Sleeping with the Enemy - 8/10
My Big Fat Greek Wedding - 8/10

pussnboots
02-11-2008, 08:59 AM
I watched last night "We were Soldiers" on television with Mel Gibson.
It was actually pretty good.

Idril
02-11-2008, 05:50 PM
I watched a couple of movies this weekend, two very different movies. The first one was Waitress and the second was Zelary, a Czech movie taking place during WWII. Both were excellent in their own, completely different way.

LadyW
02-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Juno: 6.5/10
Unfortunately, I expected much better from this film due to the interesting topic of teen pregnancies and also the massive hype from the media. However, I found the protagonist (Juno) somewhat arrogant as opposed to witty...(Admittedly funny on occasion, but it was certainly over - done)
The film was in general quite pleasant and had no predictable the-world-is-perfect happy endings.

Janine
02-11-2008, 06:04 PM
I watched a couple of movies this weekend, two very different movies. The first one was Waitress and the second was Zelary, a Czech movie taking place during WWII. Both were excellent in their own, completely different way.

Hi Idril, I saw "Zellary" awhile back and I really liked it. It sort of starts out slow and you wonder if you will like it, but then you really involve yourself and it gets quite good, as you said in a completely different way. I thought the acting was excellent. I haven't seen the other film. I will check it out if I have a chance.

Janine
02-11-2008, 06:08 PM
I watched last night "We were Soldiers" on television with Mel Gibson.
It was actually pretty good.

pussnboots, I have seen that film and I thought it was quite good - kind of exhausting and one felt one had been through a war when it was over, but I thought the acting was great. A very early Mel Gibson film I just love is "Galappoli", I think I spelled that wrong. I will look it up and let you know. It is about the battle there on the shoreline, but more importantly about two young friends from Australia who are star runners. I just love that film!

Janine
02-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Sleeping with the Enemy - 8/10
My Big Fat Greek Wedding - 8/10

Gadget Girl, my mother loves that film "Sleeping with the Enemy" - I think she catches parts of it on TV all the time. I am not quite sure I have ever seen it all the way through.
I howl everytime I see "Greek Wedding", because my son married a Jewish woman and he is Christian, and so he once gave me this film to see - such a culture crash! I could not stop laughing during the baptism scene. Hilarious!

Dori
02-11-2008, 06:51 PM
"The Perfect Man"
2/10

One of those movies where, after you finish it, all you can think is "why did I just watch that?"

Janine
02-11-2008, 06:58 PM
"The Perfect Man"
2/10

One of those movies where, after you finish it, all you can think is "why did I just watch that?"

Hi Dori, 2 out of 10 ? - I guess he was not a 'perfect' man!:lol:

Hope you have been well; haven't seen you around lately.

Dori
02-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi Dori, 2 out of 10 ? - I guess he was not a 'perfect' man!:lol:

Hope you have been well; haven't seen you around lately.

Who am I, a guy, to judge what makes a man "perfect"? :p Now if the movie was about the perfect woman, I might be more interested (and perhaps more apt to judge). ;)

Actually, I stayed home from school today due to illness, but that really doesn't have anything to do with the time before today.

LadyW
02-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Who am I, a guy, to judge what makes a man "perfect"? :p
:) I highly doubt there's any such thing... In fact, I am positive.
There's perhaps a man out there who meets the standards of the majority of women. But as these "standards" vary so much, "the perfect man" is impossible to define. Unless "the perfect man" refers to individual males that encompass certain characteristics that their soul-mate seeks.
It begs the question, what is perfect?
Is a perfect relationship one without doubt? disagreement? That's not real, how can it be perfect?
Told you I get philosophic at night Dori...

Dori
02-11-2008, 07:23 PM
:) I highly doubt there's any such thing... In fact, I am positive.
There's perhaps a man out there who meets the standards of the majority of women. But as these "standards" vary so much, "the perfect man" is impossible to define. Unless "the perfect man" refers to individual males that encompass certain characteristics that their soul-mate seeks.
It begs the question, what is perfect?
Is a perfect relationship one without doubt? disagreement? That's not real, how can it be perfect?
Told you I get philosophic at night Dori...

"The perfect man" that the movie refers to is one that is "perfect" for a particular woman in the movie. Somehow the fact that they both do crossword puzzles in pen made them right for each other (although that wasn't the only thing).

Janine
02-12-2008, 01:33 AM
Who am I, a guy, to judge what makes a man "perfect"? :p Now if the movie was about the perfect woman, I might be more interested (and perhaps more apt to judge). ;)

Yeah, how true!:lol: The crossword puzzles in ink sound rather funny..;).

Actually, I stayed home from school today due to illness, but that really doesn't have anything to do with the time before today.

Dori, sorry to hear you are sick; hope you are better soon. I guess our paths just haven't crossed lately. "the time before today' sounds like a good title for a book or a movie.;)

Gadget Girl
02-13-2008, 04:12 AM
I watched "300" yesterday and I'd say it was one of the best movies I've seen. Shame I didn't watch it in the cinemas. Oh and also "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" was amazing. :D

"The Perfect Man"
2/10

I've read an article about that movie that said it was the worst movie of 2005. I've seen it and you are right.

Ydfkdy
02-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Barber Shop.EHH didn't ecen finish it,thank God

Niamh
02-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Had a DVD day today. Watched the following.;
Loves labour lost
Ratatouille
Whisper of the Heart
Police Academy 1,2, & 3

LadyWentworth
02-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Barber Shop.EHH didn't ecen finish it,thank God
Actually I didn't mind "Barbershop". It is "Barbershop 2" that isn't too great. So, if you didn't like the first, definitely stay away from the second!

Loves labour lost
Ratatouille
Whisper of the Heart
Police Academy 1,2, & 3
What did you think of "Love's Labours Lost"?
I heard the rats in "Ratatouille" look very realistic (in the long shots and there are a bunch of them running around). Is it true? :sick:
I haven't watched "Police Academy" in years! I could actually go for them again! :D

Janine
02-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Loves labour lost
Ratatouille
Whisper of the Heart
Police Academy 1,2, & 3

"Love's Labours Lost"? Niamh, is it the Kenneth Branagh film version? If so, I own it and I love this film. It is so much fun; I watch it all the time. I feel like they said - hey, let's get together and put on this musical and have a good time in the bargain. It makes me smile from ear to ear throughout. It is so enjoyable and I even like the singing, even though not one of the players is an actual singer, by profession. I own the CD and truly enjoy it.

I want to see "Ratatouille" - my library just got that one in. So what did you think of it?

Hi, LW!

LadyWentworth
02-14-2008, 03:57 AM
Oh and also "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" was amazing. :D
Yes, I always liked that movie. Another one that I haven't seen in years.

It is so enjoyable and I even like the singing, even though not one of the players is an actual singer, by profession.

Except for Nathan Lane. Do not forget that he is a big star of the Broadway stage. ;)

Hello, Janine! :D

Madhuri
02-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Chicken Little :D :D

Provoked

Namesake

amalia1985
02-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Rescue Dawn
8/10

islandclimber
02-14-2008, 01:18 PM
"eagle vs shark".... ummm... strangely fantastic is the only way to put it... it is like napoleon dynamite on crack... quite possibly great...

LadyWentworth
02-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Rescue Dawn
8/10
What is that movie? Who stars in it? I can't remember if I have seen it or not. :)

Jeb0092
02-14-2008, 03:45 PM
"There will be Blood" Awesome movie, the music makes you nervous through the whole thing. It is set in the early days of the oil industry in US. It is not so much about that, as it is a character study of an insane oil baron.

Janine
02-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Yes, I always liked that movie. Another one that I haven't seen in years.

I love "What's Eatting Gilbert Grape?"...that a was funny and sad film. I need to see that JD one again myself.

Except for Nathan Lane. Do not forget that he is a big star of the Broadway stage. ;)

Hello, Janine! :D

Hi LadyWentworth! Yes, I was thinking about that later on last night, since I was burning the LLL soundtrack CD for a friend ;) and listening to Nathan Lane singing "Give My Regards to Broadway" - I just love that part! I realized I had posted that wrong. Maybe also, a few others have sung professionally, that are in the show; like Nathan, they probably have done some Broadway singing before.

LadyWentworth
02-14-2008, 05:11 PM
"There will be Blood" Awesome movie, the music makes you nervous through the whole thing. It is set in the early days of the oil industry in US. It is not so much about that, as it is a character study of an insane oil baron.
I was hoping to go see that this weekend, but I don't know if I will be able to just yet. Love, love, love Daniel Day Lewis!!! The man is a god! :D

I love "What's Eatting Gilbert Grape?"...that a was funny and sad film. I need to see that JD one again myself.
The first time that I saw it was as a "preview". I haven't seen it in so many years, though. They used to show it on TV all the time. Now it is like the film has just completely disappeared. :p

Hi LadyWentworth! Yes, I was thinking about that later on last night, since I was burning the LLL soundtrack CD for a friend ;) and listening to Nathan Lane singing "Give My Regards to Broadway" - I just love that part! I realized I had posted that wrong. Maybe also, a few others have sung professionally, that are in the show; like Nathan, they probably have done some Broadway singing before

I really don't know if anyone else has sung professionally. Though, if I am correct, Alessandro Nivolla is a very good singer. I believe that was his actual voice in "Junebug", and he sounded great!

Ydfkdy
02-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Troy~good movie

Janine
02-14-2008, 06:03 PM
I was hoping to go see that this weekend, but I don't know if I will be able to just yet. Love, love, love Daniel Day Lewis!!! The man is a god! :D

Did you see him in "My Left Foot"? I also just recently watched again - "Last of the Mohicans" - love that film and his role was wonderful! There are many more where I like him but a few where I was quite ambivalent.

The first time that I saw it was as a "preview". I haven't seen it in so many years, though. They used to show it on TV all the time. Now it is like the film has just completely disappeared. :p

My video rental had it and sometimes it has come into the library so I think it is still around. The video rental did have the tape so maybe they sold it; they had a big sale back in the summer. I should have knabbed it then, darn it! Now I should stop by again; they said they had some left (tapes) for a dollar each; I was buying some reduced DVD's that night so I failed to look at the tapes. I should stop in there and check it out....funny, if they still had it.

I really don't know if anyone else has sung professionally. Though, if I am correct, Alessandro Nivolla is a very good singer. I believe that was his actual voice in "Junebug", and he sounded great!

I just saw "Junebug" and yes, he does have a nice voice. I think Alessandro Nivolla is cute, too. Wonder why no one ever seems to talk about him. I find him appealing. I also, think that Adrian Lester has a fine voice and probably sings on broadway. He is a pretty good dancer, also. He was the most professional in the film LLL, that I could see; but then what do I know. You know better than me, LW!

What did you think of "Junebug" anyway?

amalia1985
02-14-2008, 06:19 PM
What is that movie? Who stars in it? I can't remember if I have seen it or not. :)

It's a very recent one, starring Christian Bale. A true story, about the escape of a German-American soldier from Vietnam. :)

LadyWentworth
02-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Did you see him in "My Left Foot"? I also just recently watched again - "Last of the Mohicans" - love that film and his role was wonderful! There are many more where I like him but a few where I was quite ambivalent.
Yes, I have seen "My Left Foot". I probably have seen most of his films with the exception of just a couple. What, other than "Gangs of New York", did you not like him in?

My video rental had it and sometimes it has come into the library so I think it is still around. The video rental did have the tape so maybe they sold it; they had a big sale back in the summer. I should have knabbed it then, darn it! Now I should stop by again; they said they had some left (tapes) for a dollar each; I was buying some reduced DVD's that night so I failed to look at the tapes. I should stop in there and check it out....funny, if they still had it.
Well, it wouldn't hurt to go back and check. I am classic for not buying something when I should have, and then when I go back it is gone!

I just saw "Junebug" and yes, he does have a nice voice. I think Alessandro Nivolla is cute, too. Wonder why no one ever seems to talk about him. I find him appealing. I also, think that Adrian Lester has a fine voice and probably sings on broadway. He is a pretty good dancer, also. He was the most professional in the film LLL, that I could see; but then what do I know. You know better than me, LW!
I think he is SO CUTE!!! I have said that for years since I first saw him in "Masnfield Park"! :D
You know, I know the name Adrian Lester. I don't know where I know him from (besides this movie), but there is no doubt the man is a professional! At least dance, wise. He was very good!

What did you think of "Junebug" anyway?
It was OK. It wasn't what I thought people made it out to be, but it was OK. I was a little annoyed with a couple of characters, though. What did you think?

It's a very recent one, starring Christian Bale. A true story, about the escape of a German-American soldier from Vietnam. :)

Yes! I know what that is. I thought it was that Christian Bale movie. I kept picturing his face in my mind when I read the title. I haven't seen that one yet, but it is on my Netflix list. :)

Niamh
02-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Actually I didn't mind "Barbershop". It is "Barbershop 2" that isn't too great. So, if you didn't like the first, definitely stay away from the second!

What did you think of "Love's Labours Lost"?
I heard the rats in "Ratatouille" look very realistic (in the long shots and there are a bunch of them running around). Is it true? :sick:
I haven't watched "Police Academy" in years! I could actually go for them again! :D
I enjoyed watching them. :nod: but by th ethird you can see they are trying to make them funny. still love them though!:p

"Love's Labours Lost"? Niamh, is it the Kenneth Branagh film version? If so, I own it and I love this film. It is so much fun; I watch it all the time. I feel like they said - hey, let's get together and put on this musical and have a good time in the bargain. It makes me smile from ear to ear throughout. It is so enjoyable and I even like the singing, even though not one of the players is an actual singer, by profession. I own the CD and truly enjoy it.

I want to see "Ratatouille" - my library just got that one in. So what did you think of it?

Hi, LW!

I liked the idea of the musical! Thought it was a great choice of songs. I was in stitches laughing for most of it but i dont think alisha silverstone was a great choice for the princess and was very disapointed that Emily Mortimer only had a less important role as Kathrine. It should have been the opposite way around...
Ratatouille was really good! Not sure about the scene of all the rats but yeah they looked real enough!:sick:

Janine
02-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Yes, I have seen "My Left Foot". I probably have seen most of his films with the exception of just a couple. What, other than "Gangs of New York", did you not like him in?

Well, I didn't like him that much in "Room With a View", but he was playing a character whom I did not like very much. However, I was disappointed first time I saw the film, since I read the book; I guess I did not picture the character he played quite as he played him. It was just a personal opinion.

Well, it wouldn't hurt to go back and check. I am classic for not buying something when I should have, and then when I go back it is gone!

Sometimes I do get lucky. I found "Hamlet" that way, but I nabbed that immediately - the two tape set for only $3! How lucky is that? I have both now - the DVD and the tapes - good to have backup when it comes to Ken's "Hamlet". I actually have a whole 'collecion';) of "Hamlets" now....Gibson (tape), various audio CD and tape versions, the Olivier film version on tape.

I think he is SO CUTE!!! I have said that for years since I first saw him in "Masnfield Park"! :D
I think he is adorable and I like his voice when he speaks - sort of gentle. I like him alot. What else has he been in? I first saw him in LLL.

You know, I know the name Adrian Lester. I don't know where I know him from (besides this movie), but there is no doubt the man is a professional! At least dance, wise. He was very good!

Yes, Adrian Lester has been in a lot of films. He was in the film with John Travolta, Emma Thompson about the President - "Primary Colors". I did think when he danced in LLL one immediately said - he is a professional dancer. He was really good. He is in the new KB film, "As You Like It" but he looks older to me now. Well, duh, we all do age, eventually.

It was OK. It wasn't what I thought people made it out to be, but it was OK. I was a little annoyed with a couple of characters, though. What did you think?

I watched it for two reasons - to see him and also Embeth Davitz. I usually like her in films. I think she is a good actress and smart and attractive. I was quite disappointed, actually. What was with the rural guy (really a strange character) with those weird erotic/violent paintings? That was art??? I hated that part. I didn't warm up much to that mother either, and the daughter was so goofy and over-the-top, as was her weird husband...what was his problem? I guess I really did not much like the film, when you come right down to it. In my opinion, just another film about a disfunctional family. I need more than that from a film. It was OK, as you said. It was nothing to write home about. Kind of reminded me of "The Quid and the Whale" which I felt similarly about. After awhile, I completely forgot what it really was all about.

Sir Bartholomew
02-14-2008, 10:37 PM
watching Volver, Hable Con Ella and Todo Sobre Mi Madre

LadyWentworth
02-14-2008, 11:59 PM
IRatatouille was really good! Not sure about the scene of all the rats but yeah they looked real enough!:sick:
It looks OK, but I will have to work up the courage to watch it. :sick: :sick:

Well, I didn't like him that much in "Room With a View", but he was playing a character whom I did not like very much. However, I was disappointed first time I saw the film, since I read the book; I guess I did not picture the character he played quite as he played him. It was just a personal opinion.
I forgot that. You'd mentioned that once before to me. :)

I think he is adorable and I like his voice when he speaks - sort of gentle. I like him alot. What else has he been in? I first saw him in LLL.
The most recent film that I saw him in was something called "Carolina" with Shirley MacLaine and the one actress whose face I can picture perfectly but can't think of the name at all. :p That is a good movie, though.

I watched it for two reasons - to see him and also Embeth Davitz. I usually like her in films. I think she is a good actress and smart and attractive. I was quite disappointed, actually. What was with the rural guy (really a strange character) with those weird erotic/violent paintings? That was art??? I hated that part. I didn't warm up much to that mother either, and the daughter was so goofy and over-the-top, as was her weird husband...what was his problem? I guess I really did not much like the film, when you come right down to it. In my opinion, just another film about a disfunctional family. I need more than that from a film. It was OK, as you said. It was nothing to write home about. Kind of reminded me of "The Quid and the Whale" which I felt similarly about. After awhile, I completely forgot what it really was all about
I honestly could take or leave the film.

Tournesol
02-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Last movie I saw was '27 Dresses'
'Twasn't bad.
I have but one real objection: towards the end, if she knows she's in love with Malcolm Kevin Doyle, why does she have to kiss the boss to make sure she isn't in love with him??
So, what does that mean? If she had felt something in the kiss, she wouldn't have gone after Doyle?! For me, this totally killed the plot.
Ideally, when the boss kisses her, she dissfully [is that a word?] turns him down, and then walks off smiling, going to meet Doyle.

BTW, I'll have to look for 'My Left Foot'...Bale is one of the best actors of all time!!

Janine
02-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Last movie I saw was '27 Dresses'
'Twasn't bad.
I have but one real objection: towards the end, if she knows she's in love with Malcolm Kevin Doyle, why does she have to kiss the boss to make sure she isn't in love with him??
So, what does that mean? If she had felt something in the kiss, she wouldn't have gone after Doyle?! For me, this totally killed the plot.
Ideally, when the boss kisses her, she dissfully [is that a word?] turns him down, and then walks off smiling, going to meet Doyle.

BTW, I'll have to look for 'My Left Foot'...Bale is one of the best actors of all time!!

Kareemah Ali, 'My Left Foot' stars Daniel-Day Lewis, not Christian Bale. It is an older film, been around for awhile. It is a good film.

Tournesol
02-15-2008, 12:44 AM
lol...Janine...my bad...I must have mis-read the posts above!

Janine
02-15-2008, 01:37 AM
lol...Janine...my bad...I must have mis-read the posts above!

That is ok - quite understandable. On this page doesn't even mention his name; it was a page back. I thought I had better tell you before you tried tracking down the film.

genoveva
02-15-2008, 01:43 AM
The book here in Brazil is so popular, but my sister told me it isn't all that good. have you read it? do you know if the film is just like the book or a little different? :)

The book is excellent and I highly recommend it! His new book is equally as great as well.

The movie (The Kite Runner) is, as to be expected, a little different than the book. I read the book first, then watched the movie, so I was, of course, critical of the differences. Still, it is a good movie! I recommend this movie, and both books to everyone!

amalia1985
02-15-2008, 08:34 AM
"25th Hour"
9/10
With Edward Norton, Hoffman, and Pepper? It can only be great!!!
....okay, I admit, I am not objective...

Mark F.
02-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Spirit of the Beehive 10/10

Reminded me of Saura's movies. Never seen any other film as accurate as this one in its depiction of childhood.

vheissu
02-15-2008, 02:05 PM
"25th Hour"
9/10

So glad you liked it!! :D It's one of my favourite films!! The cast was brilliant, apart from the 3 you mentioned (Norton is almost always great anyway) the rest were pretty good as well...names...oh! Brian Cox, Anna Paquin and Rosario Dawson.

I should watch again, haven't seen it in a while.

papayahed
02-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Serenity - 9/10. I'm only giving it nine because I don't know why they killed off the people they killed off.

Idril
02-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Serenity - 9/10. I'm only giving it nine because I don't know why they killed off the people they killed off.

I know! It was heartbreaking, wasn't it? :( But it is a great movie. :thumbs_up

LadyWentworth
02-15-2008, 04:59 PM
"25th Hour"
9/10

LOOOOOVE THIS MOVIE!!! I just watched it not that long ago again. I felt it was Spike Lee's best until I saw "Inside Man". Have you seen that yet?

By the way, you gotta love Norton! ;)

amalia1985
02-15-2008, 05:38 PM
I haven't seen "Inside Man", but I'm planning to do so soon...

I A-D-O-R-E Edward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vheissu
02-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Smokin' aces (2006)

Was a bit confusing at the begging, but ended up being ok. Slightly crazy characters! 7.5/10

Mark F.
02-17-2008, 10:03 AM
The Sacrifice 10/10

This was like Tarkovsky directed a film written by Bergman. It's slow and challenging, definately not for everyone, but beautiful and full of haunting scenes.

Idril
02-17-2008, 11:10 AM
The Sacrifice 10/10

This was like Tarkovsky directed a film written by Bergman. It's slow and challenging, definately not for everyone, but beautiful and full of haunting scenes.

Oh, I can't imagine that combination, they are both slow enough on their own. :lol: ;) Tarkovsky does create some beautiful images though, I may have to give it a try.

As usual, I saw a couple movies this weekend, the first was 2046 directed by Kar Wai Wong. It's a sequel of sorts to his movie In The Mood for Love which I loved so I was already predisposed to like it and I did. It was a bit surreal at times but very haunting and the acting was tremendous.

The other movie was You I Love, a Russian film directed by Olga Stolpovskaja. It wasn't a bad film, interesting topic, capable actors but the ending was a little disappointing, it felt like they turned this edgy film into a feel good movie with everything all tied up and everyone happy. It just didn't work with the rest of the movie.

bouquin
02-17-2008, 12:10 PM
I have not read the book so I do not know if the movie is a faithful adaptation but anyway, in my opinion, it was very well made. The actors played their roles very convincingly. Especially Javier Bardem. I've never encountered a more frightening character than his role of Anton the psychopath! Really really gave me the creeps! The downside of the movie for me was the violence, I think there was just a tad too much of it.

manolia
02-17-2008, 12:33 PM
The Sacrifice 10/10

I own that film, along with Stalker but i haven't watched them yet.

"The french connection" 8/10
"Rainman" 9/10
"Ein Lied fuer Argyris" 10/10. A documentary film for the Distomo massacre performed during WW2 in the village of Distomo in greece. Breathtaking.
"The green mile" 9/10.

Ryduce
02-17-2008, 06:11 PM
I have not read the book so I do not know if the movie is a faithful adaptation but anyway, in my opinion, it was very well made. The actors played their roles very convincingly. Especially Javier Bardem. I've never encountered a more frightening character than his role of Anton the psychopath! Really really gave me the creeps! The downside of the movie for me was the violence, I think there was just a tad too much of it.

Just saw that Friday night,and I loved it.

Chigurh was one of the most believable and chilling villians I've seen in cinema.I do understand why some people would be upset with the ending,but Brolin,Bardem,and Tommy Lee Jones more than make up for it.

9/10

Janine
02-17-2008, 06:36 PM

"The french connection" 8/10
"Rainman" 9/10
"Ein Lied fuer Argyris" 10/10. A documentary film for the Distomo massacre performed during WW2 in the village of Distomo in greece. Breathtaking.
"The green mile" 9/10.

manolia, I have seen three of those - "The French Connection", "Rainman", years ago and recently I finally watched "The Green Mile". I think your rating is right on. I truly liked that film - the acting was great. Unfortunately, I have not seen the other film. It sounds very good. I will have to look out for it. Would it have an English title, do you know? What does it mean?

papayahed
02-17-2008, 06:40 PM
I know! It was heartbreaking, wasn't it? :( But it is a great movie. :thumbs_up

It was good, now I'm disappointed it was such a short lived series. Are there plans for any more movies?

islandclimber
02-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Has anyone else seen "Baraka"? nonverbal, no plot, actors, script... uses a lot of timelapse...

Absolutely stunning and beautiful.. It is my favourite film.. I watched it for the 4th time today, and each time it keeps opening new ideas, new thoughts, images, heartbeats... it is amazing... wonderful... beautiful soundtrack, passionate video..

if you haven't seen it I definitely recommend it!!! *smile*:thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

oh yeah here's the website for the film... Baraka
(http://www.spiritofbaraka.com/baraka.aspx)

Pensive
02-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Enchanted - 4/10.

Didn't like it. Couldn't make head-tail out of it. Hardly doubt it was because I was sleepy.

Mark F.
02-18-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm starting to hate him!T

The book was better but the film was a great adaptation. The novel is just as violent though. I think Texas was more of a powerful character in McCarthy's writing which the Coen's didn't manage to capture in their film.

Stalker's my favorite Tarkovski film so far. You should definately watch them both though.

amalia1985
02-18-2008, 02:21 PM
"Autumn Sonata" by Bergman
20/10!!
Simple, absolute MASTERPIECE!!

aeroport
02-19-2008, 03:58 AM
20/10!!

I love this film! I'll go dig my review up from another forum later.

Incidentally, I also own "The Sacrifice" and haven't watched yet. Kino International was having a big VHS clearance so I picked it up for $5 or something.

Anyway:
"There Will Be Blood"
This is the best film I've seen in a theater for a long, long time. It's a very...uncomfortable movie - the boy-preacher's little "exorcism" scene was particularly cringe-worthy, and the dissonant music was highly unsettling. But really a fantastic film - with a classic final scene.
10/10
There aren't really any women in it, though, that I can recall.

amalia1985
02-19-2008, 08:10 AM
"There Will Be Blood" was another masterpiece!!!! Daniel Day-Lewis is perfect-as always-.

My Bergman festival continues:
"The Seventh Seal"
well, again: 20/10....

The scene of the chess "match" is a classic...

manolia
02-19-2008, 02:49 PM
manolia, I have seen three of those - "The French Connection", "Rainman", years ago and recently I finally watched "The Green Mile". I think your rating is right on. I truly liked that film - the acting was great. Unfortunately, I have not seen the other film. It sounds very good. I will have to look out for it. Would it have an English title, do you know? What does it mean?

The english title should be something like "A song for Argyris"..not sure if you can find it though..it is an obscure swiss film ;)

20/10!!

I love that film Amalitsa :)

amalia1985
02-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Manolia, I knew you would!!!;) :thumbs_up

Ydfkdy
02-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Clerks 2 :lol:LMFAO

LadyWentworth
02-19-2008, 05:49 PM
"There Will Be Blood" was another masterpiece!!!! Daniel Day-Lewis is perfect-as always-.

You know, I still haven't gotten a chance to see it!!! :( I have to get the theater one of these days. Maybe I am just going to have to settle with seeing it on DVD.

vheissu
02-19-2008, 06:35 PM
"There Will Be Blood" was another masterpiece!!!! Daniel Day-Lewis is perfect-as always-

I really want to go as well!!! I've missed that one, and Sweeney Todd and I'm not there...this is ridiculous!! I'l just have to go myself to the cinema....

aeroport
02-20-2008, 03:16 AM

My Bergman festival continues:
"The Seventh Seal"
well, again: 20/10....

The scene of the chess "match" is a classic...

For me, I think the burning girl's scene was what really did it. Terrifying, and...well, just true. Another one of my favorite movies. :thumbs_up Wish my friend would return it to me...:flare:
(Maybe i should go have a talk with my mother, after all... ;) )

Mark F.
02-20-2008, 06:35 AM
I went on a wild Fritz Lang binge and watched over thirteen hours worth of film in the last two days, now I'm on overload.

Die Nibelungen part 1 : Siegfried
Die Nibelungen part 2 : Kriemhild's Revenge, these get 10/10
Hangmen Also Die 7/10
Dr Mabuse, the Player 8/10
The Last Will of Dr Mabuse 9/10

amalia1985
02-20-2008, 02:04 PM
For me, I think the burning girl's scene was what really did it. Terrifying, and...well, just true. Another one of my favorite movies. :thumbs_up Wish my friend would return it to me...:flare:
(Maybe i should go have a talk with my mother, after all... ;) )

And what about "The Face", another masterpiece...Bergman is my favourite director.

LadyWentworth, vheissu, don't miss the chance to see "There Will Be Blood", even on DVD.
I am promoting this film (shamelessly...:p)

Mark F.
02-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Have you seen Hour of the Wolf by Bergman?

amalia1985
02-20-2008, 04:47 PM
No, Mark F. Unfortunately!!!! I have searched PRACTICALLY everywhere!!!! Grrrr...........

Homyrrh
02-20-2008, 05:10 PM
I've seen a handful of flicks in theaters the past few months, and a couple of them were the best films I've ever been chanced to see in a theater. The Coen Brothers' "No Country for Old Men" and Paul Thomas Anderson's "There Will Be Blood" both captured me. My bias for darker films may be evident, but I've not seen any better acting EVER than Javier Bardem's portrayal of Anton Chigurh or Daniel Day-Lewis's immaculate role as Daniel Planview. Oh, how VILLAINOUS!

Honorable mention to the best film you haven't seen, Ben Affleck's "Gone Baby Gone", of which I have to say I was totally surprised by his brother Casey's role as Patrick Kenzie, the detective. The ending to that film was divine...

Homyrrh
02-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Oh yes, 4/4 stars all around.

LadyWentworth
02-21-2008, 02:02 AM
I really want to go as well!!! I've missed that one, and Sweeney Todd and I'm not there...this is ridiculous!! I'l just have to go myself to the cinema....

I know! Isn't it ridiculous!?!? That is why I automatically put a movie that I want to see on my Netflix list. The chance of me actually going to a theater to see a movie nowadays is so slim! Of course, I haven't been too good at watching those movies either! I have the same film just sitting here, from Netflix, for almost 2 months now!

I just know that when "Indiana Jones" is released I will be going on opening day! :D I really don't want to wait to see "Prince Caspian" or "The Dark Knight" either, but "Indiana Jones" is the my main priority! I have been waiting for this for YEARS!!!! :D

LadyWentworth
02-21-2008, 02:03 AM
Honorable mention to the best film you haven't seen, Ben Affleck's "Gone Baby Gone", of which I have to say I was totally surprised by his brother Casey's role as Patrick Kenzie, the detective. The ending to that film was divine...

That is another one that I really wanted to see that I missed! :(

Janine
02-21-2008, 02:41 AM
Amazing Grace ~ it was wonderful! Such great actors make up the cast and all gave fine nuanced performances, I felt. What an inspiring story; one that is true to the history of the abolition of slavery in England. I loved the ending and the music throughout was beautiful. The set design and costuming were very authentic and the film moved along smoothly, even though it is an epic spanning 20 yrs. I learned so much about slave trade and the horrid treatment and conditions abroad the ships that transported these poor victims: men, women and children alike, across the vast oceans, oceans that oft times were stormy and precarious, deadly. The numbers of those that perished was staggering, compared to those who amazingly, survived. This film absolutely makes one think on all levels, as to slavery and how very horrific the whole idea was, and still is, to begin with. I think I would give this film a very high rating, probably a 10/10 and recommend it to all to see. I like the way the whole slavery issue was presented in a new way in this film.
I did not know the origin of the song "Amazing Grace" and now when I hear it, I know I will appreciate the man who wrote it, a man who reformed and found God, being a slave merchant himself. This beautiful song will have far greater meaning, than it previously did to my understanding. When a marching band plays, it at the end of the film, in front of Westminister Abbey, on soulfull bagpipes, it is incredibly emotional; such an appropriate and fine way to end this captivating and inspiring film.
I liked the way the film never resorted to showing the actual violence and abuse of the slave trade, but rather by the use of symbols and glimpses/suggestions and verbal descriptions, one was made aware of the intensely horrific events that had been taking place in that time in history.
I watched all the commentary; especially interesting was the true story about the man himself and the brief biographies of the people who helped and supported him in his efforts to achieve his goal to abolish slavery.

LadyWentworth
02-21-2008, 02:55 AM
Amazing Grace ~ I think I would give this film a very high rating, probably a 10/10 and recommend it to all to see.
So glad to see that you've finally seen it and really liked it! It was a very good film!!

Janine
02-21-2008, 03:25 AM
So glad to see that you've finally seen it and really liked it! It was a very good film!!

LW, Yes, wasn't it though? I really liked it and especially the main character played by Ioan Gruffudd - amazing. The whole cast was fabulous. I really liked the young man who played his friend and became prime minister. I was maybe a little dubious about the Romala Garai, because I always relate her to lighter stories and more modern films, but I think it worked and the little interplay between them lend the film a bit of lightness that it direly needed at times. I would really love to see Gruffudd's series - "Horatio Hornblower", but I would have to order from another library and then they are so long - such epics. Have you seen them?
What a treat to get two veteran actors in one film also - Michael Gambon and Albert Finney - super. I wasn't sure about Rufus Sewel at first, but he proved to portray his character admirably and with good range. In the extra he said he was suppose to be a little quirky and so he was with that strange hair. I love Nicholas Farrell so was quite happy to see him in the cast; he played Horatio in KB's "Hamlet". Ciaran Hinds is one of my favorite actors and he did a great job with his role - very convincing. It was a true treat to see so many fine actors in one film.:thumbs_up
I was so lucky going to the library tonight; this film must have just come in, because I have never seen it there before, and it was featured at the front desk.

I am getting a cold so I have to go to bed now; I feel more and more ill as the time wears on. See you tomorrow, hopefully.

Oniw17
02-21-2008, 12:59 PM
The Wall- 9.5/10

amalia1985
02-21-2008, 04:42 PM
"Amen"
10/10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

jon1jt
02-21-2008, 05:08 PM
I want to highly recommend the movie, STEAM starring Oscar nominee Ruby Dee and actor Ally Sheedy. There's also the young, talented, Kate Siegel. Even if you haven't heard of these actors go check it out when it comes to theatres you'll enjoy it.

I went to a special screening of this film last night and had red wine and cheese while chatting it up with filmmaker, KYLE SCHICKNER and actress Kate Siegel. Divine.

Put it on your movie list, yippeee! :p

Joreads
02-21-2008, 10:54 PM
I just saw the Jane Austen book club 4/4 i have now started reading Jane Austen

Shurtugal
02-22-2008, 01:05 AM
Star Dust. 9.59/10

it was very funny and cute! but their are a few indendos in it.

manolia
02-22-2008, 12:23 PM
"Amen"
10/10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The one by Costa Gavra, eh? Great film :thumbs_up

amalia1985
02-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Yes, manolia!!! A masterpiece, is it not???
...and may I say that I knew you would love that film...

vheissu
02-22-2008, 07:06 PM
The good german 8/10

I'm too tired to review right now....

LadyWentworth
02-23-2008, 02:51 AM
LW, Yes, wasn't it though? I really liked it and especially the main character played by Ioan Gruffudd - amazing.
Yes, he was. I like him, anyway, though. ;) I have seen the "Horatio Hornblower" series, but so long ago when they were first on TV. It is definitely an epic, but I think they are worth the time. Especially if it is a weekend where the weather is lousy and you have no other plans! :)

I was maybe a little dubious about the Romala Garai, because I always relate her to lighter stories and more modern films, but I think it worked and the little interplay between them lend the film a bit of lightness that it direly needed at times.
Quite honestly, she was the problem that I had with the film! She was the reason I only gave it a 9.75/10! I just was irritated by her. Maybe I was in a bad mood that day, too, though! Who knows! :p

I wasn't sure about Rufus Sewel at first.... In the extra he said he was suppose to be a little quirky and so he was with that strange hair.
You know, his hair threw me off at first! It took a little time for me to get used to it! It just seemed odd on him. Then I saw him comment on that, too, on the DVD.

Yes, the whole cast was very good. Well, Ciaran Hinds is always good in my book. :)

manolia
02-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Yes, manolia!!! A masterpiece, is it not???
...and may I say that I knew you would love that film...

hehe you may :)
I really liked that film but i simply adore "Z"!! The subject matter, the music, the directing, the actors ;) (and allow me to repeat that this film is the only one i can think of that makes me cry from beginning to end)

ZoeyJuly
02-23-2008, 10:36 AM
I just saw Juno :p 9/10
i haven't seen any of these movies u guys r talking about
i guess i just c the run of the mill stuff

amalia1985
02-23-2008, 04:55 PM
hehe you may :)
I really liked that film but i simply adore "Z"!! The subject matter, the music, the directing, the actors ;) (and allow me to repeat that this film is the only one i can think of that makes me cry from beginning to end)

:thumbs_up :thumbs_up I must have watched that movie countless times, along with my mother!

Shalot
02-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Jumper 10/10
I just got back from the movies. Saw Jumper and it was great. It kept me interested from start to finish and Hayden looked FINE :nod:

The movie is based on a sci fi book of the same name. I've never read the book myself so I can't compare the two, but as far as this movie goes I was completely satisfied. It's about a kid who discovers that he can teleport, and with his newly discovered talent he frees himself from a less than ideal home situation. For a while, he lives the dream, paying his way with money he gets from teleporting into bank safes. One second he's surfing the waves in Fiji and when he gets tired of that, he breaks for lunch on the Sphinx in Egypt. But all good things must come to an end and they do when the Paladins pick up his trail...

All in all, it was a good movie and kept me in my seat the whole time, and did I mention Hayden Christensen looked sexy ???

Homyrrh
02-24-2008, 03:33 AM
Jumper 10/10
I just got back from the movies. Saw Jumper and it was great. It kept me interested from start to finish and Hayden looked FINE :nod:

The movie is based on a sci fi book of the same name. I've never read the book myself so I can't compare the two, but as far as this movie goes I was completely satisfied. It's about a kid who discovers that he can teleport, and with his newly discovered talent he frees himself from a less than ideal home situation. For a while, he lives the dream, paying his way with money he gets from teleporting into bank safes. One second he's surfing the waves in Fiji and when he gets tired of that, he breaks for lunch on the Sphinx in Egypt. But all good things must come to an end and they do when the Paladins pick up his trail...

All in all, it was a good movie and kept me in my seat the whole time, and did I mention Hayden Christensen looked sexy ???

LEt me wash my mouth out before I comment...that foul taste remains...

Hayden was great in Star WArs, especially at the whole dragging the franchsie down as far as possible before it actually lost respect. Him, Paul WAlker, how do these people STAY EMPLOYED?!?!

Jumper got hardly any stars from any reputable critics...Scott, Ebert, Siskel, etc...keeping my distance.

Quinn_
02-24-2008, 03:48 AM
-----

amalia1985
02-24-2008, 07:45 AM
"No Country For Old Men"
6/10
I am not a follower of this genre, so I may not be objective, but I chose to watch it because of Javier Bardem, whom I A-D-O-R-E. Well, I loved his effort to carry the burden of that movie, otherwise...

cranberry
02-24-2008, 09:12 AM
The last movie i saw was the Water monster (crusoe) such a lovely movie
:) but the best was actuallllly??? mmmmmm??? i think the best i really saw was : the persuit of happyness.

Thanks for the lovely thread!:thumbs_up

vheissu
02-24-2008, 10:20 AM
My flatmates wanted comedy...so Heartbreak kid it was for a saturday night in....should have gone out!! 3/10

Shalot
02-24-2008, 11:10 AM
LEt me wash my mouth out before I comment...that foul taste remains...

Hayden was great in Star WArs, especially at the whole dragging the franchsie down as far as possible before it actually lost respect. Him, Paul WAlker, how do these people STAY EMPLOYED?!?!

Jumper got hardly any stars from any reputable critics...Scott, Ebert, Siskel, etc...keeping my distance.

Oh, I'm sorry. The critics didn't like it, so I should let them influence me when I go to see the movie. You can't rely on the critics to let you know what's good to watch. Do you let the media think for you all the time?

I watch a movie so that I can be entertained and Jumper was entertaining. I was aware the critcs didn't like it. I also know that I've wasted money on tickets to movies the critics liked. But you go ahead and listen the critics. And while you're at it, don't bother to have a single original thought.

ZoeyJuly
02-24-2008, 11:18 AM
ok don't kill the peace maker here (or any other clich'e) but i hated jumper and i didnt know that it got bad reviews

Quinn_
02-24-2008, 11:18 AM
-----

vheissu
02-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Jumper 10/10

I think I might watch just because of H. Christensen! :D

I never choose a film based on what film critics say. Not that it's useless for a film to be criticised, some are masterpieces and need to be acclaimed for that (and some are quite ***** and should be told so!). One film I refuse to pay for to see at the theatre is Juno. Critics say it's original (although what is so original about teenage pregnancy eludes me) and the acting is just great. But it's one of those intuition things. I know I'll hate it, no matter how many Oscars, Bafta's and whatnot it gets.

Quinn_
02-24-2008, 11:56 AM
-----

manolia
02-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I went to the theater yesterday to watch "Sweeney Todd" 10/10, I liked it very much.

vheissu
02-24-2008, 01:25 PM
If you watch a movie with the intent of hating it —you will. If you watch a movie full of expectations based on the hype, you’ll hate it. I saw Juno in the mist of its publicity and I disliked it and found the film highly annoying. So freaking annoying. The dialogue with its forced self-congratulatory witticism and the overt sappy plot, it was cringe worthy. I don’t know, half way though the film, I was actually embarrassed for the movie.

Well I wouldn't watch a movie in the first place with the intent to hate it, there would be no point apart from proving to myself alone that my opinion was correct....Although it is sometimes true that if you expect too much from a film, or it has been said to be great, you'll end up disliking it. That happened when I watched Marie Antoinette with Kirsten Dunst.

Joreads
02-25-2008, 12:26 AM
I have to agree about the critics. I never read them any more. If a movie takes your fancy then go along and see it if not stay away. If I listened to the critics here I would have missed out on some movies that I really loved.

Shalot
02-25-2008, 01:00 AM
I'm just finishing up with 10th and Wolf for the second time today, and I have to say that it was quite good. I will give it a 10/10 because it was good the first time I watched it and then I watched it again just to make sure.

There are a lot of good actors in this, such as Giovanni Ribisi, Leslie Ann Warren, James Marsden and Brad Renfro. I wanted to watch 10th and Wolf because Brad Renfro had a part in it. Brad Renfro died about a month ago and he's from the same place I am. I wanted him to do well, but he had some issues, and he died, and it's really sad to me. Heath Ledger died about a week or so later than Brad, but Heath got more publicity. Brad Renfro struggled with substance abuse for a long time, so I hope he is in a better place now. With that in mind, I wanted to watch his last performances so I rented this movie, because it was one that I hadn't really seen or heard of.

It reminded me of The Departed a little, in that it was a mob story and everyone was a bad guy and most everyone dies in the end. But 10th and Wolf hooked me in the first watching, whereas I had to watch The Departed a few times just to get interested (and The Departed was the critics' darling -- go figure).

The thing I liked about 10th and Wolf is that it centered around 3 people who actually had a real blood connection.

Giovanni Ribisi is so convincing in this role. I really like him as an actor. I've seen him in other movies and for a while I expected him to be a huge superstar, but he keeps winding up in these non-blockbuster films. And I guess that's a good thing, because he'll just keep working toward improving his craft, and that can only mean more surprisingly good movies.

Brad Renfro's part was that of the soft-hearted and somewhat soft-headed little brother that everyone wanted to protect. I think Brad did a good job of portraying this character. And then, at the end, most everyone is dead.

I've read other forums, and this movie is loosly based on real events. But, the key word is loosely...in short, what I am saying, is that this was entertaining to me, and a lot more believable than The Departed. But, The Departed was a good movie. I just had to watch it a few more times before I liked it. I suppose a more sophisticated film buff could tear 10th and Wolf to shreds, but I really think 10th and Wolf is better than The Departed. And if you don't agree, at least give Giovanni Ribisi credit for pulling this roll off.

Bethany_Argyros
02-25-2008, 01:25 AM
howl's moving castle. perfect eight. out of ten, of course.

yeah.

and thats all i have to say about that.

LadyWentworth
02-25-2008, 03:15 AM
Oh, I'm sorry. The critics didn't like it, so I should let them influence me when I go to see the movie. You can't rely on the critics to let you know what's good to watch. Do you let the media think for you all the time?

I watch a movie so that I can be entertained and Jumper was entertaining. I was aware the critcs didn't like it. I also know that I've wasted money on tickets to movies the critics liked. But you go ahead and listen the critics. And while you're at it, don't bother to have a single original thought.

If you watch a movie full of expectations based on the hype, you’ll hate it.

I have to agree about the critics. I never read them any more. If a movie takes your fancy then go along and see it if not stay away. If I listened to the critics here I would have missed out on some movies that I really loved.

I have finally found people that feel the same way that I do about critics!!

I went to the theater yesterday to watch "Sweeney Todd" 10/10, I liked it very much.
Ah, another fan! :thumbs_up :D

Waterloo Bridge - 7/10
The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer - 10/10!
I really like Robert Taylor in "Waterloo Bridge", but Vivien Leigh's performance doesn't do much for me in there.
LOVE "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer"!! I used to watch it a lot, but I haven't seen it in years, though! I adore Cary Grant!!!

Alexei
02-25-2008, 08:45 AM
I watched "Pulp Fiction" yesterday - 3/10. It was quite dull, I expected so much more. It had its moments, but generally I find it disappointing.

vheissu
02-25-2008, 10:37 AM
I watched "Pulp Fiction" yesterday - 3/10. It was quite dull, I expected so much more. It had its moments, but generally I find it disappointing.

Did you not like the soundtrack for the film either? I thought it was excellent!

papayahed
02-25-2008, 11:35 AM

I wholeheartedly agree. Although like Vheissu I dig the soundtrack.

LadyWentworth
02-25-2008, 03:41 PM
I probably liked it a little more than you did. I might give it a 6/10. I do have to agree that it has its moments. But when it has its moments, the moments are very good. There are some good lines in there. I was actually bored with the Bruce Willis part of the story. I guess it was all necessary for the story, though!

Nighteyes5678
02-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Boondock Saints - 9/10. The only bit I didn't like was the kinda cheesy way they had the brothers decide to start upon their quest.

Homyrrh
02-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Resevoir Dogs - 4/4 stars

Janine
02-25-2008, 06:05 PM
I probably liked it a little more than you did. I might give it a 6/10. I do have to agree that it has its moments. But when it has its moments, the moments are very good. There are some good lines in there. I was actually bored with the Bruce Willis part of the story. I guess it was all necessary for the story, though!

LadyWentworth, you know what? I have never yet have gotten myself to watch Pulp Fiction. I just feel I won't like it. I even have checked it out of my library and then ended up taking it back, unwatched. Strange; I always feel like it will be a waste of my time. So gee, you gave it a generous 6/10.

Did you see Johnny D last night on the Oscars? I was thinking of you when they showed the clip from "Sweeny Todd"...my mom said "Is that really Johnny Depp?"....I laughed and said "he looked a lot different didn't he mom?" I should show her JD in "Edward Scizzorhands", eh?

Homyrrh
02-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Depp's looked the perpetual same off-camera for time immemorial...as for his alter egos, er...

Janine
02-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Depp's looked the perpetual same off-camera for time immemorial...as for his alter egos, er...

hahaha - that was so true! same scraggly hair, same half there facial hair thingie....same strange clothes - that's JD for you! ;) Yes, as to his alter-egos - good way to put it - how many are there now? I think he truly loves makeup!

I thought Tilda Swinson took the cake with her very different black... half gown....

Shalot
02-25-2008, 07:38 PM
hahaha - that was so true! same scraggly hair, same half there facial hair thingie....same strange clothes - that's JD for you! ;) Yes, as to his alter-egos - good way to put it - how many are there now? I think he truly loves makeup!

I thought Tilda Swinson took the cake with her very different black... half gown....

Johnny Depp looks good. He has aged very well. I can't agree with you about Tilda Swinson though (that is if you're saying you liked what she looked like... I didn't read your post very carefully). Her dress looked like a hideous trash bag draped over one shoulder. And why didn't she try to do something with her hair? She won an Oscar and she looked dressed for a day of lounging around the house reading books or something. If you're going to the Oscars, you should look elegant and put together...especially if you're up for an award. If I were her, I would have worn something that had two sleaves at least. Or, I would have hired a trainer to get those white pasty arms toned up. Anyway....

Shurtugal
02-25-2008, 07:55 PM
"Casper" i forgot which one... er, the one were a girl and her dad moves into a house were casper lives... 8.9/10. sometimes it went from a very sad moment to a rock song theme, but other then that... i could have cried, that's how good it was. dang, now i wanna watch it again. :lol:

Janine
02-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Johnny Depp looks good. He has aged very well. I can't agree with you about Tilda Swinson though (that is if you're saying you liked what she looked like... I didn't read your post very carefully). Her dress looked like a hideous trash bag draped over one shoulder. And why didn't she try to do something with her hair? She won an Oscar and she looked dressed for a day of lounging around the house reading books or something. If you're going to the Oscars, you should look elegant and put together...especially if you're up for an award. If I were her, I would have worn something that had two sleaves at least. Or, I would have hired a trainer to get those white pasty arms toned up. Anyway....

:lol: Oh Shalot, I was just being sarcastic about Tilda and 'trash bag' is a very good description of her half-dress; yeah couldn't she afford another sleeve? It was totally shapeless and made her look thinner, pastier than ever. You are right, her hair looked like she was ready to lounge or go to the beach. No, when I said 'she took the cake' I definitely, meant for the worst outfit there!!! :sick:

Yes, JD is very good looking and he ages great. I just mean he usually is trying to see through his unruly hair but then again he might be competing with Burton now - ever see his hair? JD could wear a half black trashbag dress with one arm and look cute - he could pull it off better than Swinson did - anyday.

jon1jt
02-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Wolf Creek. Filmed in the Australian Outback. Very real, very creepy, but good-creepy. Check it out.

byquist
02-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Be Kind, Rewind - Jack Black, Mos Def, Danny Glover, Mia Farrow
Original, entertaining, humorous, and humanitarian. Worth it.

Reccura
02-26-2008, 01:17 AM
P2 - Gory enough. Ahh...

Sir Bartholomew
02-26-2008, 01:27 AM
i'm doing a back to back robert altman M*A*S*H / Gosford Park. Both were funny I can't say which I liked better. M*A*S*H had wackier moments but Gosford Park had the big actors.

i also watched before those two The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her lover; probably one of the eeriest atmosphere I saw in movies. I'm a bit disappointed in the end that they didn't let the thief eat much of the lover. if i were the director i'd ask him to eat his entire genital.

but all in all fun movie experience with those three.

Alexei
02-26-2008, 04:18 AM
Did you not like the soundtrack for the film either? I thought it was excellent!

I liked it, it is very nice. Still I don't think I will try to find it and listen to it. It will remind too much of the film :lol:

I was generally board with the whole film. I think I was constantly checking when it is going to be over. I was thinking: "Why is it so long? There is nothing interesting happening!!!"

LadyWentworth, you know what? I have never yet have gotten myself to watch Pulp Fiction. I just feel I won't like it. I even have checked it out of my library and then ended up taking it back, unwatched. Strange; I always feel like it will be a waste of my time. So gee, you gave it a generous 6/10.

It is a waste of time, Janine. I think it is really overrated. I don't know why people like it so much as I said it has its moments, but generally there is nothing special in it.

Quinn_
02-26-2008, 05:20 AM
-----

amalia1985
02-26-2008, 07:51 AM

Perhaps, beacuse Tilda Swinton is a REAL actress who cares more about Art, than promoting silly gowns of silly designers. She comes from Theater, the people there tend to focus on Acting, not running around as if they are on the catwalk.;) I have studied it and I know a few things more.

Anyway, yesterday I saw "Nostalghia" by Tarkovsky.
Well, an easy 10/10, of course. We are talking about Art, I think.

Quinn_
02-26-2008, 08:26 AM
-----

Shalot
02-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Perhaps, beacuse Tilda Swinton is a REAL actress who cares more about Art, than promoting silly gowns of silly designers. She comes from Theater, the people there tend to focus on Acting, not running around as if they are on the catwalk.;) I have studied it and I know a few things more.

Do enlighten me. What are these few more things you know about? Real actress or not, she looked terrible. I guess she takes herself so seriously that she is above the use of a hairbrush.

Anyway, the Oscars snubbed Brad Renfro, who died really recently. They did their little memorial and ended it up with Heath Ledger, but left out Brad, who died a week before. I guess Brad was not good enough to be included in their snotty little presentation.

LadyWentworth
02-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Anyway, the Oscars snubbed Brad Renfro, who died really recently. They did their little memorial and ended it up with Heath Ledger, but left out Brad, who died a week before. I guess Brad was not good enough to be included in their snotty little presentation.
You know, I didn't even realize that they didn't mention him. I was just thinking about how I really dislike it that they allow applause during that montage. Especially because some of them get more applause than others. I just think that they should show them all respect with silence. Anyway, I did notice that it seemed like they showed less people than they should have. Not only that, I noticed that the people they did show were "bigger" names (that includes the cinematographer and so on - not just the actors). I thought that was odd. Well, they used to recognize all of the people who died throughout the year. I couldn't even come up with the smallest idea as to why they would've have changed it to only show respect for the more recognizable names.

Alexei
02-26-2008, 01:12 PM
I watched "Brazil" this afternoon, it was recommended to me by a friend and as a strange film and I decided to see it. I think I expected something even weirder, but I liked it, so - 9/10. The end was great, absolutely unpredictable, actually the whole film was pretty unpredictable.

Janine
02-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Do enlighten me. What are these few more things you know about? Real actress or not, she looked terrible. I guess she takes herself so seriously that she is above the use of a hairbrush.

Amalia, I am well aware that Tilda Swinson is a great actress. I don't know the definition of a 'real actress' as you put it. Does that mean that we must exclude all actors and actresses that never set foot on a stage?
And even if she is far above others in her theatrical talents, does that give her the right to look idiotic in public? I do think stage actors care what they wear - why else would she spend a fortune on a 'Lavin' design?

Quinn, I don't care if her dress was a Lavin or a Hefty, one does have vision and could see it was not at all attractive on her. I also agree with Shalot - a once through lightly brush on that mop of red hair would have improved her emensely.

I happen to like Tilda Swinson emensely, as an actress, and I have to tell you she really knocked me over with that dress! I might have expected sheik or avant-garde, but that was pushing the envelope a bit.

amalia1985
02-26-2008, 04:15 PM

It would be good for the sake of discussion to leave the irony aside. I can be ironic when I want to, just as well. I don't show off, but since you want me to, I will mention my TWO degrees in English and World Theatre, and my five seminars in stage setting and costuming. Would that enlighten you? I've dedicated my life in theatre world, but that's hardly the topic here.My views on the values of an actress are different from yours and Janine's, and perhaps everyone's. I think this is to be respected. I don't need to justify my views in any case, and I don't feel the need to enlighten anyone at all. I will have to disagree with what the majority believes, we all have our opinion, that's just fine. That's my view on the subject, and I don't need you to agree with me.

And Janine, YES, REAL ACTORS DO COME FROM THE STAGE WORLD. And if you think she was "idiotic", that's your opinion. In any case, I understand your point, I respect it, of course, but I strongly disagree.

Shalot
02-26-2008, 05:08 PM
It would be good for the sake of discussion to leave the irony aside. I can be ironic when I want to, just as well. I don't show off, but since you want me to, I will mention my TWO degrees in English and World Theatre, and my five seminars in stage setting and costuming. Would that enlighten you? I've dedicated my life in theatre world, but that's hardly the topic here.My views on the values of an actress are different from yours and Janine's, and perhaps everyone's. I think this is to be respected. I don't need to justify my views in any case, and I don't feel the need to enlighten anyone at all. I will have to disagree with what the majority believes, we all have our opinion, that's just fine. That's my view on the subject, and I don't need you to agree with me.

And Janine, YES, REAL ACTORS DO COME FROM THE STAGE WORLD. And if you think she was "idiotic", that's your opinion. In any case, I understand your point, I respect it, of course, but I strongly disagree.

Well, with your TWO English degrees, you should be able to offer more of an explanation what you know, as you said in your original response. Instead, you just said that she is a REAL actress, and that you know more because you have studied. And that's nice. I am happy for you and your knowledge. But it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that she looked bad. How exactly does her stage experience exempt her from trying to look presentable? That's all I was asking. But, please, don't enlighten me. I don't even care. All I need to know is that you have studied and I should be satisfied with the fact that you have 2 degrees and that makes you an authority and you don't have to elaborate further. I will just take you at your word, because you have 2 degrees.

Rav Maji
02-26-2008, 05:23 PM
El Topo by Alejandro Jodorowski...see it...

amalia1985
02-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Well, with your TWO English degrees, you should be able to offer more of an explanation what you know, as you said in your original response. Instead, you just said that she is a REAL actress, and that you know more because you have studied. And that's nice. I am happy for you and your knowledge. But it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that she looked bad. How exactly does her stage experience exempt her from trying to look presentable? That's all I was asking. But, please, don't enlighten me. I don't even care. All I need to know is that you have studied and I should be satisfied with the fact that you have 2 degrees and that makes you an authority and you don't have to elaborate further. I will just take you at your word, because you have 2 degrees.

Irony again? Very kind, actually...

amalia1985
02-26-2008, 05:38 PM

I never said I am an authority. I don't try to "enlighten" people who wouldn't understand. I consider the subject closed. Many people should try to respect others with different opinion. And you can say whatever you want, but you will leave my education out if this. That's the end of the discussion as fas as I am concerned. I can see that having a different opinion means being discriminated and humiliated. Very nice of you...

Shalot
02-26-2008, 05:47 PM
I never said I am an authority. I don't try to "enlighten" people who wouldn't understand. I consider the subject closed. Many people should try to respect others with different opinion. And you can say whatever you want, but you will leave my education out if this. That's the end of the discussion as fas as I am concerned. I can see that having a different opinion means being discriminated and humiliated. Very nice of you...

You're the one you brought your education up to begin with!!! Amazing. But you are right about one thing -- this discussion is closed. It's idiotic. I don't understand why you're getting so upset. You're the one who said you know all about it, and you implied whether you intended to or not, that I am some kind of idiot because I said Tilda Swinson wore an ugly dress. And you have two degrees and you've studied so you know more. You're the one that brought your education into it, not me.

amalia1985
02-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Say whatever you want, I don't talk small anymore over unimportant, trivial matters, like a black piece of cloth. That's over, I hold to my opinion, you hold to yours. However I must say I never mentioned the term "idiot". My EDUCATION does not allow me to call people names. Especially, people whose opinions I respect, even if they are different from my own. Something very rare, I fear.
This conflict made me forget about the film, oh well...

"The Sea Inside"- 10/10
Javier Bardem is easily THE best actor of the new generation. In my opinion, at least.

Janine
02-26-2008, 07:05 PM
"The Sea Inside" was a excellent film. I just saw that about a month ago. Very well done. "The Dancer Upstairs" is another Bordem film you might want to check out.

Small talk is fine with me. I am only human. I don't even mind being called an idiot about it. At my age who the heck cares about such trivials?

If you all want to check out the Oscar polls and articles, I did a little online research on fashion.

http://fabsugar.com/1069670 poll

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23271094-5014909,00.html

part of article:

Not fairing so well in the style stakes were best supporting actress nominee Tilda Swinton in a baggy black velvet dress, Daniel Day-Lewis' playwright wife Rebecca Miller in a frou-frou off-the-shoulder gown accented by red bow straps and screenwriting nominee Diablo Cody in a flowing leopard print gown which showed off a large Varga girl tattoo on her arm.

This link shows the best and worst dressed:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/ae/missuniverse/popupV2.asp?SubID=3571&page=1&gtitle=Academy%

I now have to say I hated Daniel Day-Lewis' wife's gown equally as much. She appears to be a very beautiful woman, but that gown is something else.

grace86
02-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Jumper, about 9.5/10 I really enjoyed it but it could have been longer. It seemed that right when it started getting good that it ended. Hopefully they make a sequal or something.

Definitely Maybe, 9/10 I don't like chick flicks usually, but this one had me in tears.

vheissu
02-26-2008, 07:17 PM
"
Not fairing so well in the style stakes were best supporting actress nominee Tilda Swinton in a baggy black velvet dress, Daniel Day-Lewis' playwright wife Rebecca Miller in a frou-frou off-the-shoulder gown accented by red bow straps and screenwriting nominee Diablo Cody in a flowing leopard print gown which showed off a large Varga girl tattoo on her arm.

I now have to say I hated Daniel Day-Lewis' wife's gown equally as much. She appears to be a very beautiful woman, but that gown is something else.

I must agree with you Janine, Miller's dress was indeed something else. And I had to laugh at some of the other dresses as well. I do wonder sometimes whatever possesses some people to wear certain...items?For lack of a better term, because some things, no matter what 'name brand' they carry, cannot fall under the category of clothing. And I thought that actors/actresses and whatnot who go to these events could afford a personal stylist. With reasonable taste. You know, to avoid these sort of...mishaps from happening.

Guess I was wrong.

I actually had to look up and see who Diablo Cody was....oh dear.

kandaurov
02-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Terribly sorry to go against the flow, but I guess that's good for discussion! I'd actually give 9/10 to Pulp Fiction. If you can't see why it's a good movie I'll try to elaborate on this review. Maybe I'm taking its excellence for granted and not being critical about it, but hey, I'm only human :)

And I think it's great that there are critics. You should resource to them (the good ones) as a way of complementing your knowledge on, and understanding of, the film. Sometimes they do know what they're talking about. There are times I read a review and just get amused at how wrong I think it is, and there are times I read a review and think about things that had never occured to me before and make a lot of sense.

In addition, my reason for coming here: yet another 9/10, this time to "Into the Wild". I think I would have given it 7/10 if I hadn't also a vague dream of going away for a while (but not to the edge of the world!). Apart from a couple of things that could be better (I'd say which, but they are kind of spoilers), perfect acting, amazing photography, and Sean Penn proves that he has a lot to offer as a director.

Janine
02-26-2008, 07:41 PM
I must agree with you Janine, Miller's dress was indeed something else. And I had to laugh at some of the other dresses as well. I do wonder sometimes whatever possesses some people to wear certain...items?For lack of a better term, because some things, no matter what 'name brand' they carry, cannot fall under the category of clothing. And I thought that actors/actresses and whatnot who go to these events could afford a personal stylist. With reasonable taste. You know, to avoid these sort of...mishaps from happening.

Guess I was wrong.

I actually had to look up and see who Diablo Cody was....oh dear.

Yeah, I agree with all you said vheissu. Miller's dress looked like the designer said 'oh, now should we add a little red frou frou here on the shoulders' - a few too many ideas in one 'blooming' dress...sorry for the pun.:) Well, it matched he hubbys's suit, I suppose. I also do not really know who Diablo Cody is. I just recalled that huge tatoo on her arm when she accepted the award. I hardly even noticed her dress since I was trying to figure out what the tatoo was.
Personally, I love the Hollywood look and the glamour. The stars come out to have a celebration and a big party one night of the year and why not look their best? I guess I am old-fashioned or something, but I really thought some of them looked stunningly beautiful and handsome. You don't see men donning one armed tuxes, do you?

Hi Grace, what is that film about? I will have to put it on my list. Wow, so many movies, so little time!

Last night I watched:

A Midsummer Night's Dream ~ the 1937(?) film, by the great Max Reinhardt. I loved it! The imagery was quite amazing and creative for such an early black and white production. It is always interesting to see such early special effects. This film is so entertaining and fun. It is a very Hollywood type production, but so magical and humorous. The set designs/costume designs were lavish and interesting. I love the way Oberon is depicted as the dark lord of the fairyland. There is one amazing visual scene, when his billowing cloak, brings on night. The scene involves these large bat creatures and they accompany night as it shrouds the fairyworld. It is a long take and well worth seeing the imagery in that one scene. The dancing was beautiful and inovative and elegant and all the acting was well done. I don't think the text was greatly shortened either and I enjoyed that aspect of hearing all of the Shakespeare lines. This was the first film ever for actress Olivia De Haviland - a classic beauty. It is definitely an old time classic, fun to view over and over again.

grace86
02-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Hi Grace, what is that film about? I will have to put it on my list. Wow, so many movies, so little time!

Which film? Jumper or Definitely Maybe?