PDA

View Full Version : Jekyll and Hyde: Second opinions needed

h0ckeyfreek20
12-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Hello everyone, I have a few Jekyll and Hyde questions that I believe I know the answers to but I would appreciate some other answers also. I was sick (with mono) during a majority of the time my class spent reading this book so I had to read it very quickly and I'm not positive I understand all of it. My teacher assigned 6 questions to ensure the students understand the book before we take the final test. I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a basic answer to make sure that my answers are on the same page. Right now im just hoping to god I understand this book because I deffinately have no time to re-read it.

Questions:

1. Jekyll has willed all of his personal estate to Hyde "in case of Jekyll's disappearance or unexplained absence for any period exceeding three calendar months." Why did Jekyll set up his will in this fashion, and what is Hyde's reaction to being Jekyll's beneficiary?

2. What are Jekyll and Hyde's opinion of Mr. Utterson?

3. What are Jekyll and Hyde's reaction to the Carew murder?

4. What are Jekyll and Hyde's reaction to the events that take place at Dr. Lanyon's home?

5. What are Jekyll and Hyde's opinions of each other?

6. What are Jekyll and Hyde's opinions about living in this time and place (Victorian London)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Whifflingpin
12-03-2006, 06:17 PM
If you give your opinions first you are more likely to spark a discussion.

Have you looked in the Stevenson forum in this site? There may already be something there.

h0ckeyfreek20
12-03-2006, 08:38 PM
I have not. I will go look that up right now.

h0ckeyfreek20
12-04-2006, 03:31 PM
No luck, any opinions on any of the questions would be greatly appreciated!

Logos
12-04-2006, 03:56 PM
This site has a very handy search feature:

http://www.online-literature.com/stevenson/jekyllhyde/

Just type in say "Utterson" or "Carew" in the search field and that will show you all instances where the word appears in the text. You can go from there to verify your answers to the questions :)

Lord-Loss
12-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi, I'm doing Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde GCSE also! I've got a mock exam tommorow and I know I'm going to fail! Our teacher has never gave us questions like that. How can you say what Jekyll and Hyde opinion is when you've only hear Jekyll side of the story in the last chapter and never heard Hyde narrative. It's Utterson point of view through most of the novella. We get questions like what kind of themes run through the novella.

h0ckeyfreek20
12-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Hi, I'm doing Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde GCSE also! I've got a mock exam tommorow and I know I'm going to fail! Our teacher has never gave us questions like that. How can you say what Jekyll and Hyde opinion is when you've only hear Jekyll side of the story in the last chapter and never heard Hyde narrative. It's Utterson point of view through most of the novella. We get questions like what kind of themes run through the novella.

exactly, ive finished all my entries for jekyll, but i have no idea what Hyde's POVs are

h0ckeyfreek20
12-05-2006, 07:09 PM
This site has a very handy search feature:

http://www.online-literature.com/stevenson/jekyllhyde/

Just type in say "Utterson" or "Carew" in the search field and that will show you all instances where the word appears in the text. You can go from there to verify your answers to the questions :)

Magnificent, thank you for posting that