PDA

View Full Version : Poem, Painting

abbas
11-27-2006, 09:04 PM
I have an assignment to tie a classical painting and a poem into the book Oliver Twist. I've read the book, but I am having a hard time finding a poem or painting that capture Oliver's struggle throughout the book. Any ideas?

yerory
04-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Although its probably not what you are looking for, the cover for Les Miserables ties in with the whole child labor issue.

Lokasenna
04-22-2009, 02:57 AM
Have a read of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's The Cry of the Children - that's all about child suffering in the Victorian state.

Michael T
04-22-2009, 05:39 AM
I have an assignment to tie a classical painting and a poem into the book Oliver Twist. I've read the book, but I am having a hard time finding a poem or painting that capture Oliver's struggle throughout the book. Any ideas?

Hi there 'abbas'. As far as paintings are concerned this is probably the kind of thing you are looking for:

The Victorian newspaper engraving 'Beer Street and Gin Lane’ would certainly illuminate the harsh conditions of London life for the poor. Or perhaps you could try Ford Madox Brown's Victorian street painting called 'Work'.

Whilst not exactly Victorian, you could perhaps use a poem from William Blake's work 'Songs of innocence and of Experience'. The poem I have in mind is called 'Holy Thursday' there are two, one under Innocence and one under Experience. They are a social comment of the plight of poor and orphaned children in London. I could go into how the two poems work together but you should check that out for yourself. I would agree with 'Lokasenna' that Elizabeth Barrett Browning is a good choice.

Both Ford Madox Brown, Elizabeth Barrett Browning and William Blake were attempting to make a social comment through their work. as of course was Charles Dickens.