PDA

View Full Version : Found an interesting one

Jay
01-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Horace Walpole: This wolrd is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.

Ideas? Comments? Snide remarks?

subterranean
01-08-2004, 10:36 PM
So i cant think and feel at the same time or can i?

Jay
01-08-2004, 10:47 PM
You can, then I think you'd get a tragi-comedy ;). But in the long run, I think he could be right.

subterranean
01-08-2004, 10:51 PM
How cpuld he?

So i suppose it will be more fun to live in this world when you use your head instead of your heart

Jay
01-08-2004, 11:12 PM
That was the idea, to use head or heart...

fayefaye
01-09-2004, 05:39 AM
those who think usually feel more than those who don't .... that's what makes it a bit of a paradox.... What are you talking about? Of course it wouldn't be more fun to have no heart.

Isagel
01-09-2004, 05:59 AM
I think that the absurdity of it all might be comical if you look at it merely intellectually. When you start to take it all in, itīs seldom funny any more.

fayefaye
01-09-2004, 06:02 AM
Yeah, but who can really be that detached?

sloegin
01-18-2004, 04:42 AM
I can.

fayefaye
01-18-2004, 01:10 PM
In the funny or the unfunny way?
<what's the meaning of your new title, btw? :) I hate door to door salespeople>

sloegin
01-20-2004, 04:31 AM
In every way you can think of.

You only hate them, because they are a mirror for your own self hatred.

You know I'm coming, but deny it. I come to your home in your times of need. Whether you know what you need or not. I know. I fill that space. In return for this, you buy my wares. All of this, without speaking.

imthefoolonthehill
01-21-2004, 12:23 AM
this is the reason I name my guns.

sloegin
01-21-2004, 02:45 AM
But what kind of guns are they?

imthefoolonthehill
01-21-2004, 02:31 PM
I have a remmington 30.06 and a rugar .243 plus a couple of .22's

azmuse
01-21-2004, 04:49 PM
love how i can't discuss slightly smutty things, but can contribute to the arsenal discussion and bring up uzis.

imthefoolonthehill
01-21-2004, 11:51 PM
well.... thats because smutty things offend people and are innapropriate for children.... discussing my deer and elk hunting tools don't.

sloegin
01-22-2004, 04:59 AM
American guns are crap; there are exceptions. Get an Accuracy International in .338 Lapua.

azmuse, I'll discuss smutty things with you.

azmuse
01-22-2004, 06:16 PM
!!wouldyouwouldyou, sloegin? (finished spot of tea and lowered pinky.)

fool, it's the old thing: sex isn't illegal (within a certain age bracket) but discussing it is taboo; murder is illegal, discussing it and its modus operandi is perfectly fine.

to which me say?!?!

sloegin
01-23-2004, 04:33 AM
You're no fun.

azmuse
01-23-2004, 12:36 PM
because i won't let you know me

it's all or nothing babes ;)

sloegin
01-25-2004, 03:42 AM
I didn't say I wanted to know you.
ha.

Of course it is. Gray...only in photos.

fayefaye
01-28-2004, 07:12 AM
i wish i had a gun.

Jay
01-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Get a watergun, more fun with one of those. You can shoot anyone more than once.

imthefoolonthehill
01-28-2004, 10:31 PM
azmuse... did you not read my post?

I reffered to my rifles as what they are: my hunting tools. With them, I provide myself with perfectly legal (and socially acceptable) jerky, hamburger, cube steak, and other wonderful things. Discussing sex is considered socially unnacceptable... as is discussing any tools one may use while performing sex acts. Discussing firearms is not socially unnacceptable (double negative, I know). This is because guns are not neccessarily tools for murder, but are much much much more often means of defense and hunting.

Sloegin: you have no idea what you are talking about. American guns are some of the best in the world... the only rivals are those of Germany. Remmington, Rugar, Smith and Wesson, Bennelli, Berretta, Marlin, Savage, and Glock.. all good brands.

That isn't to say that good gun companies don't exist outside of America... Germany has H+K England has Enfield. Austria has Steyr Aug (not sure if that is a gun company or not...)... but America is one of the leaders (if not the leader) in the field of quality firearms.

azmuse
01-28-2004, 10:43 PM
yes; was disgruntled, sorry 'bout the post.

imthefoolonthehill
01-28-2004, 10:53 PM
its perfectly ok... we can all agree, disagree, and misunderstand each other all on friendly terms. no real need to apologize.

azmuse
01-28-2004, 11:02 PM
oh thank goodness
:) understood

sloegin
01-29-2004, 05:41 AM
I said there are exceptions.

Pick any American .22 you want and put it up against an Anschutz; and then tell me American guns aren't crap.

Last time I checked, Enfield was no longer in business. Guess who took over the British goverment contract?...O that's right, Accuracy International.

Steyr Mannlichicher is the civilan company; Steyr Daimler Puch AG is the military company. AUG, is a model designation, and a vague one at that.

Yeah that's right, I've no idea what I'm talking about.

crisaor
01-29-2004, 03:24 PM
sloegin, with all that information, I'd hate to see you in a bad mood. :rolleyes: ;)

sloegin
01-31-2004, 06:14 AM
I'm not sure if that's sarcasm; whatever, it's still funny.

crisaor
01-31-2004, 09:19 PM
Well, kind of. It's 50-50 actually. I really don't like guns.

subterranean
02-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Speaking about guns, I remember my friend's thesis about guns and small arms. It is very ironic that so far there is no international law/convention about light/small arms/ guns, and yet these kinds of weapon is actually No.1 source of deaths in many parts of the world. I mean there is the ABM treaty about nuclear weapons, eventhough the fact is such weapons are never been used.

Cassandra
02-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by subterranean
Speaking about guns, I remember my friend's thesis about guns and small arms. It is very ironic that so far there is no international law/convention about light/small arms/ guns, and yet these kinds of weapon is actually No.1 source of deaths in many parts of the world. I mean there is the ABM treaty about nuclear weapons, eventhough the fact is such weapons are never been used.

We're working on it. Though Nuclear weapons can only be used as weapons to kill people whereas guns are used for hunting as imthefoolonthehill said, guess that's why it's harder. Keep trying though, Iprefer swords anyway.

psycojones
03-17-2004, 02:34 PM
i do not mean to talk anyone off topic, but i wanted to respond to the original question.
horace walpole; this world is a comedy to those who think; a tragedy to those who feel.
my interpretation is this, have any of you ever been sitting at a school table, a pub, somewhere anyway, and seen a couple fighting over something that seemed silly. not being involved in their life, we can look at them fight and make comments on how i would hate to be in that guys shoes, or we chuckle at the one of them being made a fool of. because we are not directly involved we can think about how silly they look from an outside perspective, and laugh.

now if we are the ones being made a spectacle of, and the arguement you are having is with someone you truly care for, now all of a sudden it involves emotions, and thinking about what you want ot say or do never happens on the spot, but 20 mins after everything is said and done. so by this point your have invested in feelings, most likely that of bitterness, hurt, anger, and what ever else.

think and observe at what others are doing, and do not invest your own emotions, you may laugh at what you see.
put your heart into the things you do, and see. you are most likely to feel tragedy every now and then.

Jay
03-17-2004, 05:15 PM
Psycojones, would like to ask how not to invest one's own emotions. Whatever you may see, you always have an opinion or a feeling from it. It's nothing you can avoid, isn't it? When one's come to point of not caring (not having emotions if you like), it's not normal, in a sense or being healthy. Know what I mean?

atiguhya padma
03-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Jay,

I don't think psycojones is talking about not caring. Emotions are a two-edged sword. They sometimes help, they sometimes hinder. The key is to have the discernment to choose to let yourself follow your emotions when they help, rather than when they hinder. That judgment resides in the mind not the heart.

psycojones
03-18-2004, 05:04 AM
i should look back on the things i have written before i submit. i had trouble understanding a bit of what i said.

anyway, ap, you couldn't have said it better.

jay, i am not sure what you mean?
"as far as what ever i see i may have an opinion or a feeling from it", i disagree with. i see many things everyday, and much of what i see i do not gather opinions or emotions from it. not unless it is something i can compair to my past, or something of immediate danger, or something i am curious about.

caring is one of many emotions. but before i go on i will ask you to explain what you are getting at.:confused:

anyway, i might not make much sense trying to explain myself. i just got off work, and it is 1:45am my time. a little sleep and brain food and i will come back to this later.

Jay
03-18-2004, 02:57 PM
Sorry guys, think I was having a c****y day, and most people can't understand most of what I say, and it looks like it's another c****y day, should have better stayed in bed.

atiguhya padma
03-19-2004, 01:41 PM
I think that everyday.

fayefaye
03-26-2004, 08:54 AM
*singing* 'cause it's a bittersweet symphony, that's life... '

emily655321
03-30-2004, 05:12 AM
I think that was the point of the quote: not whether you should or shouldn't feel a certain way when viewing events around you, but merely an observation on the predictable reactions of two types of people. From the posts I gather that...

Psycojones is not emotionally affected by witnessing situations that don't directly involve him. According to the quote, he is a 'thinker.'

Jay clearly feels an emotional connection to the world around him. He is a 'feeler.'

This doesn't mean that thinkers don't feel, or that feelers don't think. Merely that some people can't help experiencing the world predominantly 1) with their head, or 2) with their heart.

Just for the record, I'm a feeler too. And, yes, the world is a tragedy.

Jay
04-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Agree with you there Emily :). Even though Jay is a she ;), which is not that important I think :p.

psycojones
04-09-2004, 03:48 AM
good stuff emily. i like what you have to say, and think.:p

fayefaye
04-11-2004, 08:31 AM
I think feeling and thinking are co-dependent. Not only that, but you're more likely to feel if you can think, because you absorb more. It has a bigger impact on you. you can't just shrug things off.

Jay
04-24-2004, 09:32 AM
I think thinking and feeling are not that very co-dependent. Seems like they're the opposites. I mean something like when deciding on your next move. You do either something that feels better or something that you think is better. If one comes to chosing between what feels better and what seems better, doesn't it mean it's about two different things? I'm sure I have made a mess out of what I wanted to say, can anyone understand what I wanted to say?

verybaddmom
04-25-2004, 01:21 AM
im pretty sure i get it, jay...sometimes i have been faced with choices in my life that i knew that i had to do what was right, according to my brain, but omg, did my heart argue. i spent many years doing what my heart said to do, and making mistake after mistake, turning my life into a veritable tragedy (everyone has a story, right?) but i dont think i have fared any better making decisions by thinking them out too much either....goodness, i am such a libra...
am i sort of on the right track jay?

emily655321
04-25-2004, 03:48 AM
I forgot all about this thread. Sorry Jay! I was new and didn't know people very well yet. :D

Jay
04-27-2004, 10:15 AM
It's ok Em :), many guys thought I was a 'he' ;). I just happened to pick a nick that's male-ish :D (or so people keep telling me ;)).

Yup mom, you're following one of the tracks I'm interested in :):p