PDA

View Full Version : Christian anarchism

Eagleheart
11-23-2006, 02:06 PM
As far as I know, the socio-philosophical stand of Tolstoy is labeled Christian anarchism, largely based on this work. Radical thought is indeed evident/ up to the point I have read it/, but there are some essential differences for example between his propositions/ mainly because of non-agressive approach, which actually influences Ghandi/ and Bachunin as an exponent of the revolutionary current...I am asking where exactly is the revolutionary line in Tolstoy- in his rejection of the state dominance/ I have not yet explicitly met rejection of the state itself/...or in his Christian nonconformist standpoint? What do you think about this? Are we to throw Tolstoy's humanistic ideas in the hyenic dominance of idealogies?

Mr. Vandemar
12-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Tolstoy advocates nonviolent resistance to oppression. This tactic is what won India independence from Britain. His ideas are criticisms of the state, of all states, and are what brings him the label "anarchist". He rejected the term because it connotated violence, and the main concern of his writings was to point out the absurdity of it (more important than denouncing the state...the state is part of the subject of "violence). He is more of a pacifist than an anarchist (not to say that the two contradict eachother, just that you are suggesting that they do).

He pursues peace through anarchism.

Tyler Self
02-02-2009, 06:38 PM
If you want something that built on the ideas of Tolstoy and such, read this: http://www.geocities.com/vonchloride/anarchist-jesus.html