PDA

View Full Version : Is our God Poseidon?

accountansiyot
11-21-2006, 11:15 PM
I really don't know how to prove this yet but I think the God that the Christians is a god of water. Why? 1) Water is life. Human being can't live without it. If Jesus said, "Men cannot live with bread alone but with the guidance of the Lord", he meant that we, humans, can't live just by eating but we need also to drink. And also, animals and plants need water. If you notice in the prehistoric times, people live in places where water is near. Its becase they need it as well as closer to their god. 2) The disciples of Jesus are fishermen, meaning, they know better what God is like because they are closer to the water (sea, ocean). 3) The ministry of Jesus talks more about being thirty, right? When he talked about the burden is life would be WASHED away. Or something like that. And also, before his last breath, did he say, I AM THIRSTY? This would clarifiy that god we are worshipping is from water. 4) The water on earth is not found in other places.

I need to gather more facts about this so that I can prove to you that the god we called almighty is god of water. This is also a campaign for telling you to conserve and preserve water. We don't want the wrath of god to punish on us right?

till then, accountansiyot

Eagleheart
11-22-2006, 09:45 AM
Now accountansiyot,
surely we needn't create Gods of food, fuel, ..and so on, everytime when we campaign for preservation...or realize their connection to life
Proving your idea to us is enhancing its probability of being true or your aim is to enlighten us?
First- a scientific approach to religion is no more solid than demanding proofs of the medieval inquisitors.../this is not equating religion with its historical debacles-only comparison in "possibilities of success"/...
But your desire to prove your "theory" is certainly less harmful than the theory itself.../I am not hostile-just do not see it as very plausible and I am being as civil as possible, although do not in any way agree with you/
Let me ask a few questions/warming you up for the time around when someone else here will notice your thread and you will certainly be confronted with more fiery questions/
A large number of poets are figuratively talking about washing away of pains too. What are we to call them then?
In prehistoric times people had the same physiological needs as people today, right? Living near water resources is only consistent with their need of fertile lands with abundance of food...How have you drawn your too serious conclusion from this fact?
Jesus' words, given the "circumstances" are only too natural don't you think?
If the probability was exceptionally small to utter them and they nevertheless were uttered, maybe we could have paid more attention to this.
"Water is life"-yes-along with a lenghty list of other vital components...
Finally, may I enquire how much time you have left for the development of your idea?/ maybe this will be my strongest argument here/...

muhsin
11-22-2006, 10:03 AM
Lol:)
This thread reminds me one of our ancient saying; "Fadan da babu ruwanka, dadin kallone dashi" i.e What you don't have any bussiness with, is the most interested scene.
I hope am not too hard on anyone as my intention isn't that. Thanks.

litlearner
11-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Poseidon, in Greek mythology, is the God of water, one of many Gods in their pantheon. Like the Greeks, many in the modern world worship many Gods, so when you say “our God” you need to be careful, since you then go on to speak of Christianity. While Christians may believe there is only their God, many would dispute that.
Narrowed down to Christianity, there are still many notions of God. Most, I think would say that God is much more encompassing than just water. Many believe that ultimately he (she or it) is unknowable.
Water is a great metaphor or symbol of the properties of the spirit and you will find it used in many ways to try and help up understand more about what is essentially beyond our grasp.
As Eagleheart said in his or her post, life depends on more than just water. Your quote about man cannot live on bread alone, I believe is meant to mean that we must also feed our spiritual nature—our souls—water in this instance is a bodily need.
I hope this helps and that it doesn’t offend anyone.

kathycf
11-22-2006, 04:42 PM
I have no wish to enter in a debate over faith or Poseidon, but the initial post makes an error in stating that water is not found anywhere except earth.

At 8:03 p.m. ET on June 20, SPACE.com reported that NASA had found evidence of water on Mars. The tremendous discovery fuels hope for microbial life on the Red Planet. It also makes a human mission to Mars more practical.
You can read more here. (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/mars_water_story_000620.html)

Does this point to larger forces at work in the cosmos? I guess that is up for debate.../me bows out.

PeterL
11-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Yaweh was the Caananite storm god, while Dagon was their water god. But there is often water in storms. I prefer a complete collections of gods and goddesses to a single god.

Evi
11-22-2006, 08:04 PM
"Poseidon, in Greek mythology, is the God of water, one of many Gods in their pantheon. Like the Greeks, many in the modern world worship many Gods, so when you say “our God” you need to be careful, since you then go on to speak of Christianity. While Christians may believe there is only their God, many would dispute that. "

Like the ancient Greeks , not the Greeks. In nowdays Greeks dont worship many Gods. And in the ancient Greece the gods were 12.

Evi

aranyria
11-23-2006, 04:06 PM
It has been suggested that "Men cannot live with bread alone but with the guidance of the Lord" means people need both food and water- and then you take this statement to further prove that water is God. You really cannot take a potential analysis of a statement and use it to prove anything. In other words, you can only use assumptions in proofs, not speculations on assumptions.

Besides, I think this statement of the Bible refers to the idea that men need both physical items- bread, water, shelter, heat- and spiritual items. Again, speculation, but I'm not using it directly to prove aything, just suggesting that there is more than one speculation on the statement in question.

It has already been mensioned that there are a great many vitalities, water being only one of them. Thus, the idea that Jesus cried out about his thirst probably meant thathe had been deprived of this vitality, considering he was being paraded about on a cross. If he had been deprived of air, he would probably have cried out for air.

Finally, the Bible was not written in English. Vaugue references to water (such as "washed away") could very easily be mistranslations. It is possible that they refer to water as being something more than is written, but fairly unlikely.

PierreGringoire
12-05-2006, 01:15 AM
If water is God then "Gatorade is the DEVIL!!"- Bobby Busche's mother - from the Waterboy

Nightshade
12-05-2006, 04:08 AM
"Poseidon, in Greek mythology, is the God of water, one of many Gods in their pantheon. Like the Greeks, many in the modern world worship many Gods, so when you say “our God” you need to be careful, since you then go on to speak of Christianity. While Christians may believe there is only their God, many would dispute that. "

Like the ancient Greeks , not the Greeks. In nowdays Greeks dont worship many Gods. And in the ancient Greece the gods were 12.

Evi

actually I think it was 12 principle Gods with an infinate number of lesser gods...atleast thats the way the ancient egyptian system worked.

Poetess
12-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Poseidon, in Greek mythology is the god of water"
it`s apparent, Poseidon is mythical.

Don`t you think oneday people will face any water problem?
Like here in Lebanon, if we don`t protect our water factor, we will be facing a real big problem, knowing that Lebanon is rich with water sources.

We, as humans, shouldn`t be having a problem with our God.
So, it`s not fair to have our God scarce..