PDA

View Full Version : Thought or Action?

Christian
11-21-2006, 07:26 AM
*I cannot replace the subject so make it "Thought or the product of thought" For after all, to think is an action"

Which is more important, or even if that is possible? Your thoughts, and naturally your action in applying them here are what I'm after, then we shall judge(some more than others) which is the more important.

penelopea
11-21-2006, 07:39 AM
Important to whom?

Christian
11-21-2006, 08:33 AM
To whomever it is important to naturally

Eagleheart
11-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Thoughts....Well thoughts are not self-sufficient phenomenon...First thoughts are not something of isolated purposeless illumination in the brain...They are directed to the world/ with Newton or without Newton life is motion// and thus directed to action...The two cannot be separated or even evaluated on a different basis...No thoughts without actions are creating a world everyday, nor is a considerably "orderly" world constructed independently of thought in diligent activity...As any such separateness is unimaginable, we cannot regard any of the two as more important
Some thoughts may not provoke immediate action, may be left as only abstract wonderings, but even in this case action is preferable -after all without the abstract wonderings progress is impossible /and publishing any new scientific article demands at least some exertion/....

Christian
11-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Sure they're interconnected, everything is, so far as I know.

But with time as the balance we can evaluate either ones importance

Eagleheart
11-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Well personally I did it.. Ballance presupposes lack of domination of either of them, right?...Where should I see prevailing importance? I answered your question with stressing the interdependence...this means- I do not see a place for "more important"

Bastet
11-21-2006, 02:10 PM
this sounds like the eternal debate on the character of Hamlet :)

Bastet
11-21-2006, 02:11 PM
hmm... aren't actions based on thoughts?

penelopea
11-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Not necessarily .
Actions can be instinctive or reactions .
Unless you are a thoughtful reactionary.
Common' don think about it,where's my axe.......!
I think,therefore I am.
Is 'being' an action or a state...........
'Look at the state of you!' Implies there's was some previous action,but I guess they didn't give it enough thought.

Summming up I ' think ' that the concept is too subjective to define anything but personal opinion. So any action is important only to me.
ergo; Who cares enough about what I think to take action and comment?

Christian
11-21-2006, 03:29 PM
"without the abstract wonderings progress is impossible /and publishing any new scientific article demands at least some exertion" Eagleheart

Which is the more important of these two? I don't mean to imply that I know(or that I think I know) but I find it interesting to think about it nevertheless.

Incidentally Eagleheart, when we have no complete idea of what is possible how can we say that something is impossible

ennison
11-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Well if actions speak louder than words then I guess they are decibels ahead of thoughts. Usually we'd expect people to think before they speak and before they act but if we judge thoughts by the actions or words they produce then probably many thoughts are very superficial. Maybe if you asked if actions were more important than beliefs then it might be a more profitable question for you. Usually someone's beliefs will clearly influence his actions. If not then he does not have those beliefs. But then again that may not be a more profitable question at all. Pretend I never said it. 'A man of words but not of deeds is like a garden full of weeds' Who said that? Blake?

Once I was taking part in a football match and one of our players swore at the ref. The ref had had words already with him and he took him aside to say that he could end up being sent off for saying 'You're a ba****d ref'.
The defender looked bemused. 'You mean I can be sent off for saying you're a ba****d?'
'Yes of course'
'Can I be sent off for what I think?'
'Don't be ridiculous. Of course not'
'Well in that case ref I think you're a ba****d.'

Is there a moral to the tale? I doubt it.

Eagleheart
11-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Incidentally progress is possible, so /to stick to the understandable in our world/... at the same time un-progress is impossible...If we know what are the conditions on which a certain occurence depends-with their availability we may speak of possibilities of this occurence...And if you only emphasized "complete"- indeed I do not believe in any completeness whatsoever...After all - possibilities are not grounded on certain knowledge...If not for anything else- knowledge of possibilities will remain as long as historical memory remains...but as the present state is no mere repetition of the past- complete idea of possibilities/exactly because of modifications even in similar phenomenon/ is impossible-in this I agree...if it was your point...

Eagleheart
11-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Ennison,
"selectivity" in thoughts may serve as a moral here...

Even instinctive actions are dependent on thoughts.. instincts have direction and direction to anything outside of us demands a process of thinking, however short..Surely seeking food because of hunger provokes some thoughts on the big fleshy target..."over there"

Christian
11-22-2006, 03:49 AM
Eagleheart : Of course I never did say that I believed in a completeness I do however know of an incompleteness(and even then I speak merely of my understanding (wouldn't it be interesting if there was one singular(and I do mean singular) human being in possession of all possible knowledge)

dramasnot6
12-16-2006, 10:17 AM
What we think and what we do compared to our thoughts arent completely seperate concepts. Now what we think is right compared to what we do is another story. We can not act without having some thought towards that action, even if it is subconscious, what else but thought will signal our brain to perform an action? It might be a more scientific answer, but when you get down to it it's the clearest explanation for the relationship between thought and action.

AdW2356
12-16-2006, 10:32 AM
....Edited.

byquist
12-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Some viewpoints say that thoughts and actions, or thoughts and things, are identical, neither preceding the other. Prospero says "We are such stuff as dreams are made on," so I believe, thus our stuffness being thought (even if dreams, whether awake or asleep).

dramasnot6
12-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Your post brings the quote "I think therefore I am" to mind for some reason byquist...