PDA

View Full Version : Great Accomplishment in Literature

princesswhitney
11-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Does anyone know for sure what great accomplishment Donne attributed to English Literature?

Redzeppelin
12-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Well, I can give you my own subjective opinion on that matter. I think Donne is the only poet post-Shakespeare to be worthy of being ranked an equal poet. Although his language is more straightforward in terms of syntax and line contructions, his metaphors (conceits, actually) push the definition of "metaphor" to its limits. His metaphoric imagery is extreme, and often highly complex in its connotative power (think the analogy made in "The Flea" of the flea's body as the "marriage bed" of the speaker and the lady he is attempting to seduce). As well, his skillful blending of physical/spiritual love imagery/language creates the amazing contrast in his poetry: his devotional poetry sounds surprisingly erotic, and his love poetry highly spiritual. I think those accomplishments are his greatest.

(And hey, he coined the term "for whom the bell tolls" and anybody that Hemingway and Metallica quote must be great ;) ...)

Sumaya
12-29-2006, 02:47 PM
I think John Donne is very underrated - he is a true wordsmith, and his talent shines brightly in all his poems.

He gave the english langauge a run for its money - and that's, really, what I love about him. Not just the outrageous metaphors/conceits and the daring subject matters of his poetry, but the ethreal quality of his later poems, the subtle use of structure and syllble (look at Song: sweetest love I do not go) and the strength of his character and wit.

It's easy to turn away from him (in disgust...?) - some may argue he's a shallow, sex-crazed misogynist - but his poetry (literally) speaks volumes.