PDA

View Full Version : Heart of Darkness// help please?

dEaD PrEsIdEnTs
11-19-2006, 10:34 PM
if anyone is kind enough to do this for please do so. can anyone help me write any of these topics about this book?

1-- Consider the first 13 paragraphs of the novel. What are the major symbols and images used? What do they suggest? What is the jungle for Conrad? What are the connotations of the word “jungle”? How can it be used in a metaphorical sense?
2--- Conrad introduces the metaphor of the “whited-sepulcher.” Review the source of this image (Matthew 23:27-32). How does it suit the theme of exploitation? The journey to self-knowledge? The theme of the need for civilization?
3--- There is a fantasy-like quality to the beginning of Marlow’s journey. What creates it? What is the importance of “work” to man? What does Marlow mean by “surface reality”?
4--- Discuss how Conrad’s description of vegetation at the central station prepares for the journey into the heart of darkness.
5-- Discuss the various significance of the title Heart of Darkness. Use examples from the novel.

TEND
11-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Well, we tend to have a policy on this forum where we don't do homework for people, just help, so why don't you tell us what you have so far?

dEaD PrEsIdEnTs
11-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Well, we tend to have a policy on this forum where we don't do homework for people, just help, so why don't you tell us what you have so far?

well the book itself is very hard to grasp.. if anyone was willing to give me info or like details on any of those.. it would be helped.

Ilthigore
11-27-2006, 02:13 PM
I see no reason for you not to be able to do Q1 yourself. Just read the opening paragraphs over and over and comment on possible meanings of images. You don't really need to understand the book to do this adequately.

For Q2, of what relevence is a "sepulchre" to the plot (there are some VERY obvious things you can say, subtle deep meanings aside).

Hopefully such work patterns (just looking at simpler stuff) should help you attempt all 5 to some extent.

F.Emerald
11-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Get the Spark Notes!