PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone here an Absurdist?

IamMissingaLink
11-18-2006, 01:37 AM
How and why do you live your life according to Absurdism?

cuppajoe_9
11-18-2006, 02:12 AM
I don't believe in any inherent meaning of life and absurd is as good an adjective as I've ever heard to apply to the world, so I suppose I could be considered an absurdist.

I have, like most others, assigned myself a meaning for my life, and persue that. I imagine that I don't live my life very much differently than anybody else.

As to why: I don't suppose I have any other choice, if I can't make any sense of the world.

Welcome to Lit-Net, by the way, I love your username.

IamMissingaLink
11-18-2006, 02:21 AM
Welcome to Lit-Net, by the way, I love your username.

thanks. It was going to be "I am the Missing Link" - but it had too many letters and i don't want to claim things i cannot back up.

What meaning have u assigned your life then ?

cuppajoe_9
11-18-2006, 02:31 AM
What meaning have u assigned your life then ?

I am trying to leave the world making a little more sense than how I found it. Cheesy, I know, but it beats the 'pursuit of money' line that my society tends to feed me. It's more than a little frusturating, though.

Scheherazade
11-18-2006, 02:40 AM
Maybe 'ImTheMissingLink' would work.

Welcome to the Forum! :)

IamMissingaLink
11-18-2006, 02:42 AM
I am trying to leave the world making a little more sense than how I found it. Cheesy, I know, but it beats the 'pursuit of money' line that my society tends to feed me. It's more than a little frusturating, though.

i think an absurdist just accepts that he has no hope of making sense of it all ...i dunno- I'm not sure i understand it.

IamMissingaLink
11-18-2006, 02:43 AM
thanks Scheherazade

cuppajoe_9
11-18-2006, 02:44 AM
i think an absurdist just accepts that he has no hope of making sense of it all ...i dunno- I'm not sure i understand it.

No, I don't have any hope of making everything make sense, but it could sure be a little bit better. I don't think I would want to live in a completely sensical universe, anyhow.

B-Mental
11-18-2006, 04:08 AM
ahh, i guess the definition of absurd is truly the question. One man's cheese cloth is anothers main sail.

IamMissingaLink
11-18-2006, 04:11 AM
ahh, i guess the definition of absurd is truly the question. One man's cheese cloth is anothers main sail.

Camu's version of the absurd...i've only read him.

Eagleheart
11-18-2006, 05:20 AM
Everyone is more or less an absurdist, provided he/she has not already given life its attributes of various meanings. The true absurdist differs in only his position in the beginning, or is the one who after a long and tired search of meanings finds himself exactly where genes have left him/her/ explanations for almost everything and no such for why is everything/....I may well say that absurdism generally describes my viewpoint...

IamMissingaLink
11-18-2006, 06:00 AM
Everyone is more or less an absurdist, provided he/she has not already given life its attributes of various meanings. The true absurdist differs in only his position in the beginning, or is the one who after a long and tired search of meanings finds himself exactly where genes have left him/her/ explanations for almost everything and no such for why is everything/....I may well say that absurdism generally describes my viewpoint...

It is to fully accept your life as lacking any meaning and to live without any hope of finding it, right?

maskedmystique
11-18-2006, 08:45 AM
It is to fully accept your life as lacking any meaning and to live without any hope of finding it, right??????

That is a pretty nihilistic way of looking at things I guess...one of the most famous old Indian movie 'Mother india' has this song that resounds this view, translated as follows - “Since I have come into this world, I must live. If living means drinking poison, I have to drink it.” The cry may come out of not being able to find life meaningful to the extent that might comfort him in his situation, but it definitely settles for something less, something more miserable... my point is this - why does my mind or heart or whatever it is inside gnaw at whatever it is out there to find a meaning to all this charade...and why do I find it so hard to accept otherwise... does positing meaninglessness and unrelenting hoplessness make it more meaningful???

Eagleheart
11-18-2006, 09:11 AM
Here maybe I should elaborate it seems...I deem absurdism more as a lack of a "bestowed" meaning, one prior to existence, For me absurdism is prevailingly not to be a slave of any "prescribed" meanings... not to expect definitions of the world to guide your way...If i am not mistaken Camus's absurd was exactly this- a mute universe that does not answer the questions of men. Despite the acceptance of a meaningless introduction to life, one is always asking questions... and never content -the Absurdist is the one who just does not stretch a trembling hand to any external "gifts" /explanations/...For earthly convenience one could equate purposes with meaning. It would never be satisfactory to get a bus only to get a bus, or marry only to marry... here is the risk of accepting absurdism as a lack of any purposefulness/I view meaning not as reason behind the things but an answer of "the why of things"/why they do exist/ so we can always lead a purposeful life, without any general meaning of why what it is..is The Absurdist can just live his/her life daringly enough without any illusions, without waiting in suspense of the universe' signs...Can be a fine fellow, only unprivileged of any belief of "inherent"/someone used appropriately this word/ meaning...

Turk
11-18-2006, 10:48 AM
How and why do you live your life according to Absurdism?

I like it absurd themes especially absurd humour. And i use absurd themes a lot in my stories. However i don't believe life is absurd, life isn't absurd by itself, though most of people and lifestyle of society makes it absurd.

IamMissingaLink
11-18-2006, 09:17 PM
[QUOTE=maskedmystique;283391... does positing meaninglessness and unrelenting hoplessness make it more meaningful???[/QUOTE]

I dont know, maybe. It makes it more something for me...not sure what. I've never had much bleief or faith in anything...Ive just anxiously followed what others are so convinced of. I don't have any idea what is worthwhile in itself. Everything seems eqaully valuable. I feel i choose to live only because i enjoy most things. By the way, Im certain im not making any sense here:thumbs_up .

Eagleheart
11-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Lack of any belief is better than followership certainly...IAmMissingaLink, and there are some advantages of not seeing potential enemies of your creed everywhere, being morally engaged in defence of eternal truths and so on... If not for anything else chances of schizophrenia are slightly lower...

kilted exile
12-06-2006, 11:36 PM

If that is what is meant by absurdist (I do not read philosophy), then no I am not. I do hope to make sense of things, it's just as soon as I make sense of one thing another mystery exposes itself.

Shadowsarin
12-08-2006, 01:08 PM
When I come across something I don't know much about, I Wiki it, because if it isn't on wiki it isn't worth knowing. (Sadly this isn't accepted as a reason for not doing homework)

So, Absurdism according to Wikipedia:

Absurdism is a philosophy stating that the efforts of humanity to find meaning in the universe will ultimately fail because no such meaning exists (at least in relation to humanity).

It goes on to state:

Humans historically attempt to find meaning in the universe, according to Absurdism. This search for some traditionally follows one of two paths: either concluding that life is meaningless and what we have is the here and now, or filling the void with a purpose set forth by some higher power, often a belief in God or adherence to a religion. However, even with a spiritual power as the answer to meaning, another question is posed: What is the purpose of God? Kierkegaard believed that there is no human-comprehensible purpose of God, making faith in God absurd.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism

So, considering that, I do agree with it really. I have never yet come across any convincing reason to life. Though I tend to go a little further, into Nihilism, which states there isn't a point in anything.

So, if I believe this, how can I live a life with the knowledge everything I do is ultimatly pointless? Actually that is a good question. Really, I find society too strong to oppose so I just go along with it, just trying to have as much fun as I can before my inevitable death. And also, I wanna see how the future turns out!