PDA

View Full Version : Study of Pride and Prejudice

Pip2006
11-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Why do the Brits like Pride and Prejudice so much ?

I've got the general impression that Jane Austen, besides being considered as a mentor for English language, deals with issues very strongly felt by the British. At the core of that novel there are love and money. The former has as many sides as the Bennet sisters are, but it is always regarded in a conventional manner. The latter represents a status in society. No doubt, Dickens deals with the same issues (e.g. Great Expectations; Oliver Twist; Hard times). However, I can see many differences between the two Authors. For example, avarice doesn't appear in P and P, while takes a good deal in Dickens's books. Love is less conventional in this Author and its sides more varied. Do you agree with me ? Do you think that Austen and Dickens are two faces of the same England ? A fair one and a dark one ?

It's only a stepping stone to discussion, but I would be very glad of having found a companion to my study of English literature.

Many thanks.

Pip2006

Vertigo
11-25-2006, 04:13 PM
I read P & P, i mean, I am reading it at the moment, but you should read Jane Eyre or Wuthering heights, it's exactly the same story, love versus society... money, fortunes, fight for priciples. I like them all: Great Expectations, P&P, J E, WH.:D

annamac
11-29-2006, 10:13 PM
If you're looking for the dark side of love in English lit read Tess of the D'urbervilles...though somewhat later than Dickens or Austen...??!!