PDA

View Full Version : Marriage in Pride and Prejudice

samshrugz
11-07-2006, 04:07 AM
From my understanding of the text, Pride and Prejudice seems to revolve around the theme of marriage. So what is the significance of the marriage between Nr Bingley and Jane? Does it serve to bring out their charaters? (It seems to me that their roles seem to be overshadowed by the Darcy and Elizabeth respectively.)

Pip2006
11-07-2006, 07:03 AM
Hi,

I think it does. I agree with you. I'd add that the more Lizzy and Darcy appear interesting the more Mr Bingley and Jane result conventional and weak in their attitude.

Pip2006
11-07-2006, 07:04 AM
Hi,

I think it does. I agree with you. I'd add that the more Lizzy and Darcy appear interesting the more Mr Bingley and Jane result conventional and weak in their attitude.

vilisakarry
12-01-2006, 09:20 AM
I agree.Darcy and Lizzy's marriage is more meaningful than Jane and Bingly's.However,we can associate something that is about Jane and Bingly's marriage.Jane and Bingly like each other but they don't have the courage to opposite the troubles.They are always controled by the other persons .:yawnb:

dramasnot6
12-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Mmmm i always thought trouble was on the horizon for Darcy and Elizabeth. Yes, they are in love and its lovely but i just cant see them having the most peaceful marriege. Too much pride on both sides.

LeahAnn
12-02-2006, 08:26 PM
I think that the importance of Jane and Bingley's marriage is to help bring out the characters of Darcy and Elizabeth. It is also important to note Darcy's pride almost ruining Bingley's happiness with Jane. Their marriage takes place as Darcy realizes his mistakes and repents for his pride. It is a necessary component for the book, I think anyways.

sciencefan
01-30-2007, 02:46 PM
From my understanding of the text, Pride and Prejudice seems to revolve around the theme of marriage. So what is the significance of the marriage between Nr Bingley and Jane? Does it serve to bring out their charaters? (It seems to me that their roles seem to be overshadowed by the Darcy and Elizabeth respectively.)Allow me to be terribly unromantic, but so many of Mrs. Bennet's comments explained just how important this was.
There's was a very different economy from ours.
To Mrs. Bennet, Jane's marriage was the financial salvation of the family.
All this time she has been dreading Mr. Bennet's death, losing Longbourn (through entailment) and being thrown out into the street penniless.
Now they were saved!
It was almost like winning the lottery.
Jane and her husband would see to it that the rest of the family were cared for after Mr. Bennet died.