PDA

View Full Version : Love this book...

chloe1026
10-29-2006, 01:14 AM
This is easily my favorite Jane Austen novel and my favorite romance of all time. I know many people are attracted to the liveliness and high spiritedness of Pride and Predjudice but having suffered losses in my life the almost melancholy tone of Presuasion attracts me. I think we all have regrets, just like Anne, and we all hope to find redemption someday to ease the ache of those regrets. I think my favorite thing about this book is that although the interaction between Wentworth and Anne is extremely limited you can still sense the deep love that exists between them. I have read all her books and I found the conclusion of this book the most satisfying because you really start to root for these two characters because they have suffered for so long. Ok, now I think I may be getting carried away. I just really love this book.

malwethien
10-29-2006, 10:27 PM
I hear ya Chloe! I really love this book too! I also really like Pride and Prejudice but two very different stories. I don't know what it is about Persuasion...it kinda draws you in...It might be because a lot of people can relate to this story...

Niamh
11-29-2006, 07:44 PM
I hear ya Chloe! I really love this book too! I also really like Pride and Prejudice but two very different stories. I don't know what it is about Persuasion...it kinda draws you in...It might be because a lot of people can relate to this story...

I Agree. Anne Eliot is possibly the truest character in any novel that people can relate to.:)

Scheherazade
11-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Persuation is not one of my favorite Austen books. I find the characters a little superficial and too much of a caricature in some cases (like Anne's father and sisters). Also, the ending is too rushed and unsupported. However, the latter can be true for all Austen books.

vgal
08-06-2007, 09:17 AM
True Chloe! Persuasion is by far one of the best of Jane Austen. There are quotes and glimpses on life and love throughout the novel, and you really feel for Anne throughout. The first half is also quite racy and exciting, but the pace slackens off in the second half at Bath. I wish Austen had continued the novel in the first setting at the cottage for a longer period.

The feelings of Anne are captured beautifully; her longing, silent suffering, and despondency. Yet, at the same time the reader yearns to know what Captain Wentworth is going through which we don't get a clue of until the end.

All in all, Persuasion is a novel which offers revelations into a woman's soul through Austen's stunning insights.