PDA

View Full Version : Order of Dumas' Works...

jessalaine
10-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Hi there!
I noticed that a lot of people were confused about the order of Alexandre Dumas' works, specifically the Three Musketeers and following.
I found out from an Amazon.com blurb that the order is thus:

The Three Musketeers
Twenty Years After
The Vicomte de Bragelonne
Louise de la Valiere
The Man in the Iron Mask

I also discovered that the latter three books were originally published by Dumas as one large book (with over 200 chapters, no less ;-), but were later split in to three 'volumes' by disgruntled readers.
So! Now that I have discovered this, I am going to read these five books without confusion (hopefully!); I hope that they are as good as the Count of Monte Cristo!!

billyebbs
11-22-2006, 01:01 AM
Hi this is my first message on this page and yours is the first i've read. You'll love all of the books by Dumas. The Count is still the best though. Hopefully I'll talk to you again. I'm hoping to find out where I can buy older versions of all of his books. If you know anybody that knows I would appreciate it.

ngtotd_dtrt
01-31-2007, 09:57 AM
The Three Musketeers series is very good...be careful of some missing chapters in that last 'split' volumn...many times, different breakdowns have different start-end chapters per book. I have a 'set' of these and had to printout the missing 7 or 8 chapters and just keep them with my set.

But, don't stop with just the Three Musketeers series... his Valois series (1572 thru 160?) is a great prelude, and the Antoinette series (1773-1794) is a perfect follow to the Three Musketeers.

You can find most used Dumas books with a Google search or online 'used bookstore'.

I've found many of these printed in text online...some don't seem to be online yet...

VALOIS ROMANCES
English Title French Title Years of Action

Marguerite de Valois La Reine Margot 1572-1575
Chicot, the Jester La Dame de Monsoreau 1578-1579
The Forty-Five Guardsmen Les Quarante-Cinq 1584-1585

MUSKETEER ROMANCES
gutenberg.org

The Three Musketeers Les Trois Mousquetaires 1625-1628
Twenty Years After Vingt Ans Après 1648-1649
Ten Years Later - Vicomte de Bragelonne Le Vicomte de Bragelonne, ou Dix ans plus tard
(part 1 of 4) 1660-1673
(part 2 of 4)
(part 3 of 4)
(part 4 of 4)

Usually, ‘Ten Years Later’ is split up into 3 parts when published in English, but you have to be careful that there’s not some missing text between ‘de Bragelonne’ and ‘la Valliere’ when reading the split-into-3 versions…some are split into 4 with 'Ten Years Later' being 'reduced' in size to the first (edited: and sometimes second) of the four...
- The Vicomte de Bragelonne 1660-1673
- Louise de la Vallière
- The Man in the Iron Mask

MARIE ANTOINETTE ROMANCES

Memoirs of a Physician Mémoires d'un médecin: Joseph Balsamo 1770-1774
(sometimes called ‘Joseph Balsamo’ & sometimes they are split into 2 books 1)Physician & 2)Balsamo) can’t find novel-text link
The Queen’s Necklace Le Collier de la Reine 1784-1785
Ange Pitou (‘Taking the Bastille’) Ange Pitou 1789
The Countess de Charny La Comtesse de Charny 1789-1794
The Knight of the Red House Le Chevalier de Maison-Rouge 1793-1794

Logos
01-31-2007, 10:37 AM
MUSKETEER ROMANCES
The Three Musketeers
Twenty Years After
Ten Years Later
Vicomte de Bragelonne
Which all, and more, can be found on this site too