PDA

View Full Version : Strength or weakness

Nightshade
10-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Today I was reading my newspaper on the bus and i was struck by something that was said. Ill be the first to admit upfront it was a pretty political article but its not the politics that really interested me ( although politics is always great) it was this ( ok and in context not that it matters its about the philosophy of certain world leaders but thats irrelevant except for the philosophy it self) :

Above all, he is convinced that any meaningful change of course is an admission of error and weakness.

And then it lead me to thinking well is it? I mean look at the very sexist 'womens perogotive' thats a change in course and was a symbol of the 'weaker sex'. and yet... well Im not going to do my usual trick and answer the question myself so here it is.
Is a significant/major/meaningful change in course meaning a swerving in a differant direction or changing your mind a sign of strength or weakness?

NB I know I brought up the politics bit but that was in case anyone recgonised it, like I said I dont want politics I want errr whats the word for it a decision on human character.

EDIT: HAve I missused philosphy?:S:S

Jean-Baptiste
10-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Very interesting question, Nightshade. My vote is for a strength. Where would the human race be (according to the evolutionist) without adaptability? Being able to change one's direction in accordance with necessity should be considered a fundamental strength--not only in human decisions, but all manner of existence. To consider a change to be an admission of weakness is to place too much emphasis on one's own role in the workings of the universe, as though one would set himself above God. No matter how responsible one may be for any necessary consideration of change, an unadaptable stance can only mean stagnation and extinction.

Orionsbelt
10-18-2006, 12:42 PM
I am afraid that you cannot separate the politics from this question. In every other area of life it is simply common sense.

Nightshade
10-18-2006, 07:17 PM
I am afraid that you cannot separate the politics from this question. In every other area of life it is simply common sense.

Of course it can and Im not sure what you mean by common sense but lets just apply it for a sec to a RL situation ( sorry stan your going to be my example) Now if stans boss (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19550)changed he mind now would that be seen as a sign of weakness?

cuppajoe_9
10-20-2006, 12:26 AM
I believe the admins object more to discussions of current politics than discussions of broad political philosophy (they haven't axed the 'Political Philosophy' thread yet), so we might be ok.

Anyhow, it's my feeling that just because it's the first thing you thought of doing, it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Orionsbelt
10-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Of course it can and Im not sure what you mean by common sense but lets just apply it for a sec to a RL situation ( sorry stan your going to be my example) Now if stans boss changed he mind now would that be seen as a sign of weakness?

Don't worry he won't. Once again common sense. I would consider such a change of heart at least an act of bravery, if not a death wish certainly. Hardly and act of weakness.:D

Somehow this dosn't seem political to you? :confused:

optimisticnad
10-20-2006, 10:38 AM
doesnt it take more strength to admit ur wrong and do something about it? so chnage of course-strength. it shows ur open to new ideas, what u knwo today u didnt know yesterday so how can u not chnage ur mind etc. etc. informed decision!

Virgil
10-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Today I was reading my newspaper on the bus and i was struck by something that was said. Ill be the first to admit upfront it was a pretty political article but its not the politics that really interested me ( although politics is always great) it was this ( ok and in context not that it matters its about the philosophy of certain world leaders but thats irrelevant except for the philosophy it self) :

And then it lead me to thinking well is it? I mean look at the very sexist 'womens perogotive' thats a change in course and was a symbol of the 'weaker sex'. and yet... well Im not going to do my usual trick and answer the question myself so here it is.
Is a significant/major/meaningful change in course meaning a swerving in a differant direction or changing your mind a sign of strength or weakness?

Let me throw my opinion on why this is. I think you have to separate the issue into two parts: the larger historical part and the current immediate part. In the grander historical view, a subtle shift in tactic in the over all general thrust of the issue (whatever this issue may be) is not seen as failure, but an adjustment in execution. But in an immediate, current view, the political opponents will jump on any shift and label it a failure for political advantage. In this sense it will be labeled a failure and give opportunity to the opposing party. Now this is good and bad; a healthy democracy requires different parties take power over time. But it can be seen as unfair. History will ultimately judge how the issue turns out.

bubble
10-20-2006, 12:11 PM

It depends on what you are changing your mind about and the reasons that caused you to change your mind. If, for example, you changed your mind or direction because you realised you've wronged someone then it may be considered a sign of strength, but if you changed your mind or direction as a result of some other force that dictated that you must make that change or pressured you into doing so then it may be considered a sign of weakness.

Of course, these are only two examples and not all situations can be categorised into one of these two, which is why it's important to know the context which you are referring to in order to arrive at an answer.

Nossa
10-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Don't know...but I think it depends more on the subject or the case...about which you changed your mind...
I mean changing your mind accrording to pressure can be good, in the sense that you might actually be wrong and the pressure is used to get you back on the right track..and in this case, in my opinion, it's a sign of weakness, giving to the fact that you did change your mind, and couldn't stand for what you thought you believed in...
On the other hand...changing your point of view about a certain issue, as a result of a different understanding to it..doesn't have to be a sign of neither weakness nor strength, but more of a sign of maturity...you grew up, thought things over, and found out you were wrong about a certain thing...
But again..my thought is that, it depends on what you're changing your mind about..cuz I think there are certain basics that are unchangeable...for example, certain ethics and morals...that if you change your mind about them...then you are weak...

Eagleheart
11-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Change of course may be instinctive.../you can feel isolated because of distance between your views or deeds and the ones of others and see it as more appropriate to secure your undertakings/ some people do this consciously-even if they fall, it would at least be a "mass grave"- sad but humans are scared of loneliness particularly in independent thoughts/ And the other may be strenght of character, especially for those courageous enough to say:" I was wrong "...This is something I wish would occur more often / preferably not by an e-mail/