PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Hardy

leonthepupil
12-23-2003, 10:11 AM
Do you think Thomas Hardy is over-researched?
.....(as i say l don't major in English, my questions will be a little unprofessional :o))
i am going to write my bachelor's thesis on his novels.But i am afraid i can't develop any new ideas as there're already a lot of discussion about them..
can you suggest some new perspective of writing this paper?
what's the most important book on Hardy study?
How do i make a start?

Thank you a lot.

leonthepupil
12-24-2003, 09:27 AM
:-) just one question then :what book do you think i must read?
Thank you all!

IWilKikU
12-25-2003, 04:27 AM
what are you going to write about Hardy for if your not an English Major? What field are you studying? Those are questions that you have to answer before you can jump into writing about him. If we knew what field you were in we could suggest something relevent to your subject.

leonthepupil
12-25-2003, 10:45 AM
Oh Thank you IWilKikU.
Sorry i didn't clarify my purpose of writing this paper.I have My minor in Literature.(Well, it's still not like your English Department )(and my major is chemistry). I am a senior student and have 4 months to work on the paper.

I consult materials mainly in my language.. but I found most of them are concentrating on Hardy's Tragedy's theme and the analyses of characters like Tess, Jude,Eustacia etc. And they seem more or less the same...

I don't need to write a long and complicated paper.(7000---10000 is ok)I just want to find a new perspective to write something less repeated and I'd like it to be mainly based on these novels ,say "the Return of the Native","Far from the madding crowd","Mayor of Casterbridge""Tess ..","Jude the obscure".I may also narrow my horizon.

then what book will you guys recommend me to read?
Thanks a lot!

IWilKikU
12-25-2003, 08:07 PM
uh... I dont actually know anything about Hardy, I was just helping ask a more pointed question.

leonthepupil
12-26-2003, 09:47 AM
:-) It's very kind of you
anyway, i will try to find some useful material in my school lib...

IWilKikU
12-26-2003, 08:16 PM
School library, 1. Literature Network, 0. :(

sloegin
12-27-2003, 06:18 AM
Compare, Hardy's Tess of the D'Ubervilles, with Boccaccio's The Decameron.

leonthepupil
12-27-2003, 08:18 AM
:-) IWilKikU....But the school library won't open until next Monday ..hehe

and sloegin, why do you think it's a good idea to compare
Tess of the D'Ubervilles with Decameron? The latter is composed of 100 storied..maybe you mean one of those stories?

piquant
12-29-2003, 03:17 PM
I find Hardy to be incredibly tedious. I think I read far from the madding croud and Tess of the d'urbervilles sometime when I was in middle school. Maybe I was too young. Regardless, good luck, though I wonder why you chose Hardy.

As far as useful suggestions--when I have to write a paper, I read the book first, without critisms or commentaries on it, and find out what I think. Then I look at the politics and culture the author was imbued in when he wrote it. Usually I find some connections here that make a good paper. If I don't find anything here, then I try and find out who the authors influences are. For example Chaucer travelled in Italy before he wrote Canterbury tales, and read Itallion literaterature. Canterbury tales and the Decameron are both frame narratives--voila! A topic for a paper.

Well, good luck, papers can be a pain, I'm sorry I don't have any specific ideas!

leonthepupil
12-30-2003, 12:56 AM
Thank you for your information,piquant :)
I used to do my paper ljust like you said.I think that's the only right way of doing Literary studies.
I have read some of Hardy's novels.The reason why i choose him also lies in the research resources and my schedule here. I thought of Virgina woolf,Joyce...but due to my time and resources limitation..i finall choose Hardy.

If you notice my location,you will know my problem here.Still i found only three books about him in school lib this morning..Anyway,i will use my head more :)

David J
12-30-2003, 12:37 PM
How about the representation of nature in The Return of the Native...or the influence of the ancient classics on Hardy?

or the conflict between realism and romanticism in books like Jude the Obscure and The Return of the Native?

sloegin
12-31-2003, 03:25 AM
I was thinking of comparing the love triangles and the smut.

leonthepupil
01-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Thank you for your ideas! David J and sloegin :)
I was thinking of the influence of the Nature and the Social circumstance on the characters...
or the Downfall of these male characters from Oak to Jude...
Which do you think is better, a generalization on his six novels (Far from Madding Crowd -----Jude the Obscure) or just focus on one book?(l was thinking of Jude)
>>the conflict between realism and romanticism in books like Jude the Obscure>>David can you give me some more details?

leonthepupil
01-01-2004, 10:43 PM
the love triangles and the smut>>
Good idea too!
it's typical of Hardy's novels...but i was wondering, what can i draw from this ?
what more does the love triangles stand for besides the story?
I'll think about it.

Sindhu
01-05-2004, 02:52 AM
This is probably too late- but here's my suggestion- how about looking at what is mostly glossed as Hardy's fatalism or pessimism is more an expose of conventionalism? Custom and not fate as the villain? Tess, Jude, Return and Mayor would all illustrate this thesis pretty well and you could have a side look at why Victorian society was so offended.

leonthepupil
01-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Well i am thinking of combining the downfall of these male characters from "Far from madding crowd" to" Jude" with the change of the location.I will focus on Far,Return, Major and Jude.don't know if it's proper.Haven't talked with my tutor yet.

Sindhu ,thank you for the good idea. As i am not a westerner, i am afraid i may have a problem with the custom or the social analysis.
However your ideas here provide people more perspectives
on Hardy.This is what this website is for.
:)

Robert E Lee
01-18-2004, 09:06 PM
Why would anyone major or minor in literature? :confused:

piquant
01-19-2004, 01:20 AM
For fun, silly!

Sindhu
01-19-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by piquant
For fun, silly!
Oh good! Nice to hear someone else say that at last!:D
I "majored" in literature- and yes, I did it for fun- majoring in anything else would have been pure hell as far as I was concerned!:)
Sindhu.

IWilKikU
01-19-2004, 07:54 PM
yeah. The reason I'm mojoring mostly in lit is because every thing else sounded boring as hell.

Robert E Lee
01-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Sindhu
Oh good! Nice to hear someone else say that at last!:D
I "majored" in literature- and yes, I did it for fun- majoring in anything else would have been pure hell as far as I was concerned!:)
Sindhu.

Can't you have fun without spending thousands on college tuition? Being an English major doesn't really pay well.

azmuse
01-19-2004, 09:00 PM
oh sure it does, as long as you get a job in something else after you graduate. i know a number of people who majored in english.

piquant
01-19-2004, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I can always go to grad school and become a prof and write my own stuff. Of course, I'm not going to get rich off of it, but getting rich has never been at the top of my priority list. Find something you love, and get paid for it, right?

azmuse
01-20-2004, 12:03 AM
Yup :) :)
and i always think (personal exp.), when people don't stick with it, maybe they didn't love it to begin with.

Sindhu
01-20-2004, 12:24 AM
I'm not exactly getting rich, but I do make a living out of having majored in Eng Lit!:) And I get to do something I enjoy- a plus point surely?
And well, I suppose things must be different in different places, but I'm from India and I certainly didn't spend a fortune on college. Education is still one of the relatively cheap things here!
Sindhu.

azmuse
01-20-2004, 12:42 AM
well, here in the U.S. it depends where you live. Apparently education's free in Nevada; community colleges in California are dirt cheap, UC's (Davis, Berkeley, the like) cost what state colleges in PA do. State colleges in California cost the same as community colleges in PA.
(don't know about other places.)
But if the heart tells you to move...
And if the heart only knows one thing: Hm. I have a friend from Panama who majored in Eng. and is teaching Spanish. If she moves back she'll probably teach English. She LOVES her major - is not only taking further (grad) courses and teaching high school, she's a single mother.

Sindhu
01-20-2004, 01:27 AM
I'd just like to add that since I have to earn my living anyway, I would have had to major in something else if not literature- the very idea makes me sick- I detested all other subjects except languages and History at school- or find a job which didn't require college degrees at all- frankly, I think I'd be awful at anything of the sort! So I think I'm getting to eat my cake and have it too by having done a Lit major!

IWilKikU
01-20-2004, 05:24 AM
What do you do Sindhu?

Sindhu
01-20-2004, 09:13 AM
I teach English at the Post graduate level. Does that sound too awful for words?;)
P.S.I have a doctorate. :)
Sindhu.

IWilKikU
01-20-2004, 04:31 PM
That sounds amazingly fun. I would love to teach lit, but they couldn't pay me enough to teach high school. I gave my teachers so much sh*t in high school that I am terrified that its going to come back to haunt me.

Robert E Lee
01-21-2004, 05:52 PM
I'm not exactly getting rich, but I do make a living out of having majored in Eng Lit!:) And I get to do something I enjoy- a plus point surely?
And well, I suppose things must be different in different places, but I'm from India and I certainly didn't spend a fortune on college. Education is still one of the relatively cheap things here!
Sindhu.

Yeah, America's so great. That's why Cuba and basically all of Western Europe have free public education.

Keep waving that flag, buddy, if it makes you feel more at home.

:rolleyes:

azmuse
01-21-2004, 06:45 PM
Hunh?

IWilKikU
01-21-2004, 08:15 PM
what are you talking about E. Lee?

Sindhu
01-22-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Robert E Lee
Yeah, America's so great. That's why Cuba and basically all of Western Europe have free public education.

Keep waving that flag, buddy, if it makes you feel more at home.

:rolleyes:
Would you mind explaining, Please, Lee as I'm totally confused? You quote my post saying education is relatively cheap in India and go on to reply about flag waving for America!?I've never even SEEN the US and I'm not in the least desirous of feeling "at home" there- so what ARE you talking about? :confused:

azmuse
01-22-2004, 06:10 PM
p.s. your charm is wearing thin, general lee

(hint, hint)

Robert E Lee
01-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Would you mind explaining, Please, Lee as I'm totally confused? You quote my post saying education is relatively cheap in India and go on to reply about flag waving for America!?I've never even SEEN the US and I'm not in the least desirous of feeling "at home" there- so what ARE you talking about? :confused:

Ohhh! I thought you were an Indian immigrant in America talking about how great America was. I guess I assumed you were because there is a pro-Bush propaganda book written by an Indian American about how great this oligarchy by the corporation, of two corrupt parties, for the Israelis is.

My apologies.

Sindhu
01-23-2004, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Robert E Lee
Ohhh! I thought you were an Indian immigrant in America talking about how great America was. My apologies.
Ok, Apology accepted!:)
Sorry if I over reacted- but I really was stunned! :)

azmuse
01-25-2004, 03:06 AM
leon, now that i've taken time to read your thread, and attempt to get over shock at the previous egg-pelting:
i found it sort of fascinating that tess threw in an out of body experience there. i mean, i'd never read a book published before the harmonic convergence that dealt with that (just kidding). it's only small things that stand out in my mind...like when she lives through her death day every year, ruminating on it and wondering which date it is/was/will be. it was so heavy to read, and gloomy and dark. like you just knew her husband wasn't going to say, oh yeah, i still love you you're my best half and i dont hold crap against you that you couldn't help, he acted like she was a complete trick. which was just like, i wanted to smack the man and say "grow up!" this is a person here in your life, you're walking out on a Person, not a situation. i was extremely irked.
just her whole gloomy gloomy repressive life. how could a little sunshine not fall in more? i got depressed reading it.
which i thought meant it was sort of powerful, to have that effect on me.
oof. sorry for going off if none of that helped ;)

leonthepupil
02-02-2004, 01:08 AM
Wow,It has been a while since i put the thread here...and didn't expect it would get so many responses...I really got inspired .Thank you all!

by the way, azmuse,what do you mean about Tess? :)

Eldraeli
04-11-2006, 10:53 AM
I am currently a Creative Writing major, and I still have trouble with essays. I'm doing one on Tess right now.

myself
04-13-2006, 11:52 AM
i didn't have to study a novel by thomas hardy but i had to study one of his poems: " the man he killed" and i think thomas hardy is a very clever mana nd has his own unique way of expressing himself.

Geoffrey
04-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Uh oh I'm an english major too. What a mistake! Going to college and studying what one is actually interested in - goodness. Happiness never came from money people! The real waste of time is going to school and studying what one can find no interest in, just in hopes of finding a well paying job. yuck.

downing
04-29-2006, 07:30 AM
In ,,The Return of the native'', Eustacia and Wildeve both die in the end of the book.Why?Eternal love or punishment?