PDA

View Full Version : My review.

polar_boi
10-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Reminds me of Austin's Pride and Prejudice in more ways than one; the sisters (Gudren and Ursula) each falling for their Mr MC Dreamies who happen to be good friends with eachother. What a quartet! Lawrence nevertheless treats his readers to expansive metaphors, images and he manages to finish with similar ideas to Austin's, without that false sense of wedded happiness.

I found the first part of this novel to be brilliant but nearing the end at the mountains, I was just dying for the book to finish already. The end is definatly well work hanging out for though.

*** <three stars!

JONO

Marie BSB
05-14-2007, 06:12 AM
I don't agree with you at all, the book is nothing like any of Austin's works, Women in Love is very intimate, complex, and interesting, it's a small version of the relationships failure and success, things just don't flow easily in this book, and one needs to read it again and again, coz it just never ends, it's the best book after War & Peace...

frankchurchill
06-06-2007, 10:04 PM
doesn't remind me of austen, but it's nice that she was mentioned a couple of times in the book.

kelby_lake
10-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Reminds me of Austin's Pride and Prejudice in more ways than one; the sisters (Gudren and Ursula) each falling for their Mr MC Dreamies who happen to be good friends with eachother.

But did Darcy and Bingley wrestle naked?

MANICHAEAN
09-27-2011, 03:35 AM
As Marie BSB noted, its a book you do not read just once. Apparently Lawrence regarded it as his best piece, and I would tend to agree. The way he expresses the inter-relationships and emotions between apparently totally different characters, is in a class of its own.
M.

kelby_lake
09-13-2012, 06:54 AM
As Marie BSB noted, its a book you do not read just once. Apparently Lawrence regarded it as his best piece, and I would tend to agree. The way he expresses the inter-relationships and emotions between apparently totally different characters, is in a class of its own.
M.

I disagree that it was his best piece. Maybe it was the piece he was most attached to (needless to say, it's the most openly homoerotic of his works) but I think that Sons and Lovers is more restrained and more powerful.