PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gifts

Isagel
12-22-2003, 02:17 PM
Ok-since I canīt give you presents I will write down nice pieces of prose/poetry/quotation and give them to you. Feel free to join in!

There will be more (yes Jay - you will get a present) but Iīll start with this one - to all my new friends one this forum. This is my gift to you(And escpecially Sindhu . I miss Sindhu):

"I heard my soul singing behind a leaf, plucked the leaf,but then I heard it singing behind a veil. I tore the veil, but then I heard it singing behind a wall. I broke the wall,and Iheard my soul singing against me. I built up the wall ,mended the curtain, but I could not put back the leaf. I held it in my hand and I heard my soul singing mightily against me.This is what it is to study without a friend" by Leonard Cohen

Isagel
12-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Knowing fully well that the translator is a traitor I still would like to give this poem to Koa. Itīs by Tranströmer, the translation is my own.Itīs set it Italy,which is one reason I write it down to you. I also hope you might like the message in it.It reminded me about the discussion on growing up. That message is my gift to you.

Roman archs

Inside the great roman church the tourists crowded in the near darkness
Arch beyond arch impossible to take in
Some candle light flickered
An angel without face embraced me
and whispered through the entire body
"Do not be ashamed because you are human,be proud!
Inside you there opens arch beyond arch eternal.
You are never finished, and that is the way it should be. "
I was blinded by tears
and was shoved out on the sunsizziling piazza
together with Mr and Mrs Jones, Mr Tanaka and
Signora Sabatini
and inside them all opened arch beyond arch eternal.

Koa
12-23-2003, 04:28 PM
:eek: Oooh thaaaaanks! It is very Roman-style, I can almost see the ruins in front of me (though I've never even been to Rome, but I've seen pics and of course we have Roman places pretty much everywhere anyway...)
I will think about something for you now...