PDA

View Full Version : d.h.lawrence

francesco
10-14-2006, 06:07 AM
hi everybody.
I hope that somebody can help me.
I need some information
1) on lawrence 's travel and on his quest.(THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR ME )
Did he find whatever he was looking for?
2)DID his language (writing) change during his voyage
3) how did it change?

Virgil
10-14-2006, 09:57 AM
hi everybody.
I need some information
3) how did it change?

Lawrence essentially exiled himself from England after the first world war. He spent a few years in Italy (which he loved) then went to India and Austrailia (both of which which he did not care for) and then off to the American southwest (New Mexico) of which he loved and bought a ranch. He did some travels to Mexico and then he got seriously ill and had to return to Europe and after a couple of years died of tuberculosis. The years I would estimate from 1920 to 1928 were the years some consider his quest years, and in the culture of the southwest American natives I think you might consider he found the understanding of life that he considered harmonious to his religious understanding of the world.

The other questions you ask I have never considered and even if true could not be answered in a forum post. I take it you're doing a thesis on the subject. I would recommend you read his Italian travel essays, his essays of New Mexico, his relavent short stories of the 1920s, his poetry of that same period, and his novel The Plumed Serpent of that time. I would carefully lay them out in chronological order and assess how his ideas change and how the language reflects it. I think that is a great idea for a thesis.

I did my Master's thesis on D.H. Lawerence of his work during this very same period you are asking about. I would love to read whatever you came up with, and if you like I would gladly offer advice as you work it. You can reach me through a PM here on lit net.

genoveva
10-17-2006, 02:05 AM
I did my Master's thesis on D.H. Lawerence

Amazing! Can you recommend some good stuff that he wrote while in New Mexico? Where would I find these essays you mentioned? Thanks!

Virgil
10-17-2006, 09:24 AM
http://media.bestprices.com/content/isbn/66/1410103366.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Mornings-Mexico-D-H-Lawrence/dp/087905123X

Mornings in Mexico is in print.

Try also his short stories of the American southwest:
"The Woman Who Rode Away," "The Princess," come to mind. Also the short novel St. Mawr, although mostly set in England ends in the southwest and presents a nice contrast. The novel The Plumed Serpent, which is not a great novel except for several spots, is set in Mexico.

Janine
10-30-2006, 11:37 PM
hi everybody.
I need some information
3) how did it change?

Hi Francesco, I read a wonderful biography on Lawrence called "D.H.Lawrence - The Intelligent Heart". I had to buy a used copy from an Amazon ventor, since it is an older book, but it was quite extensive and comprehensive, I cherish that book very much. It would give you great insight into Lawrence from his humble beginnings to his death. It would answer your questions, I am certain. I am not sure what he was looking for exactly, but I know that he never settled down and truly had a home of his own. He wandered with his thoughts. Perhaps his most permanent home was in New Mexico and there he did seem to find (at least for a time) a place he really liked to be and seemed to fit into. Lawrence was definitely a restless soul and this may have contributed to a certain quality in his work, that would not have occurred if he had been otherwise. His illness also may have played into his restlessness and his feelings of alienation. Many great authors died of comsumption. I just found that out recently. Hope this post helps you. I highly recommend this biography.

franky
04-27-2007, 11:53 AM
can somebody help me on light and darkness in his travel books.
i have to write my thesis. And i really don't know what to write . If somebody read them please help me.
i have to finished it for next friday.

Virgil
04-27-2007, 12:18 PM
can somebody help me on light and darkness in his travel books.
i have to write my thesis. And i really don't know what to write . If somebody read them please help me.
i have to finished it for next friday.

I'm afraid franky I am not an expert on his travel writings. I have read some here and there. They parallel his thinking in his fiction. But details I cannot offer any.