PDA

View Full Version : Iliad-help please!

Googly
10-13-2006, 05:54 AM
Um, i thought i already posted this, but it doesn't seem to be there; I need references to weaving (or spinning) in the Iliad, both metaphorical and literal uses. And is there some consistent correlation between the metaphorical and literal uses of the word? And What symbolic function does this imagery serve within the context of the scene and in what ways is it suggestive of some larger themes of the epic?
I'm especially struggling withthe first question. Thanks for any help!

PierreGringoire
10-16-2006, 07:22 PM
I think there is somewhere in there that Odysseus' wife penelope wove his clothes. When Homer introduced the champions....

Petrarch's Love
10-17-2006, 12:02 AM
It's in book two of the Odyssey that we hear about Odysseus' wife Penelope weaving. She promises to marry again when she finishes her weaving project and then weaves by day and unweaves it all again at night so that she can remain true to Odysseus while he's off galivanting around the world. :p

The weaving scene that first comes to mind in the Illiad is the one with Helen at her loom in book three (fairly near the start of the book if I remember right). She's weaving a purple tapestry depicting the battle that is going on because of her. Things you might want to consider when thinking about weaving in general are its status as household, and traditionally women's labor, how it relates to storytelling and history, and how it relates to fundamental things like creation. Good luck with your project.

ksweeney090
11-06-2007, 09:48 PM
4. Achilleus blames himself for Patroklos' death out of sorrow, love, and he feels responsible. He feels he should have been there to protecter his friend. This is not a justifieable feeling, if Patroklos had listened to him, he would not have needed protection, he would have been fine if he had not gone so far.
5. Achilleus joins the fight to win fame and defend his comrades.
6. From what I have read in The Iliad, I do not believe it is possible for humans to escape their fates. Hektor telling Helena that he is going to fight and noone can escape their fates, and Patroklos dying all shows me that no one can escape their fates. Achilleus' wanting revenge plays a role in his fate.
7. The shield tells the story of the war between the Greeks and the Trojans. Hephaestus depicts the two cities and the activities going on in them, and Agamemnon’s, the Greek’s king, estate.The armor he forges is indestructible and worthy of a god.
8. Modern society considers most people who put their lives ont he line to be heroic. Police officers, fire fighters, soldiers, are all careers that are highly respected by society; they put their lives on the line to protect others, and people consider them heroic.
9. I think that the views on fate are infact much different in modern society than what they were in ancient Greece. In modern society, people are always trying to escape fate, they are constantly trying to come up with medicines or surgeries that will make them live longer, escape death, or remain young. People do anything they can to survive or stay young for as long as possible, some know that it is inevitable to continue with the struggle, but others live in denial doign whatever is in their power to succeed.

1. One of the cities is filled with men dancing and singing and brides going through the streets, while the city other is circled by an army. The king's estate is portrayed on Achilleus' shield. They got lots of harvests of ripe grain, and the king stands in silence rejoicing for the huge bundle of barley. And an ox is being prepared for the harvest feast while the women fix the midday meal.
2. The outer circle is the River Ocean, the boundary of the world.

1. Achilles is the most human one. He uses his human emotions and his fighting instincts appropriately so that his actions are admirable, honorable, and praiseworthy. He is able to be a great hero and have a great human mind at the same time, this usually causes the best result to arrise. He is presented with conflicts and troubles throughout the story, he is usually the most successful in dealing with these conflicts compared to other characters.