AbdoRinbo
12-21-2003, 03:33 PM
But The Edge is cooler than you.

crisaor
12-21-2003, 03:39 PM
Bono, is that you?

Koa
12-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Uh...I was afraid of a topic about how many insecurities come from not fitting in... (I could write a book on it).

Wasn't Bono cool? I thought The Edge was the shy one.
I used to be deeply into U2 when I was 15...then I discovered what was right for me (see the thread about music).

AbdoRinbo
12-21-2003, 07:16 PM
The Edge is infinitely cooler than all of you and Bono.

subterranean
12-21-2003, 11:18 PM
Oh, I thought Abdo was going to share his/her school experiences...(Not a fan of U2)

AbdoRinbo
12-22-2003, 03:36 AM
You're not a fan because you're not as cool as The Edge

Azoic
12-22-2003, 06:01 AM
I'm not a fan, because I'm not as conceited as The Edge. I'm still trying to match Frank Lloyd Wright.

AbdoRinbo
12-22-2003, 06:03 AM
The Edge is to cool as the Fonz is to 'Ayyyyyye'.

Azoic
12-22-2003, 06:06 AM
Oh.

*Thanks the deity of my own choice that I'm not cool*

sloegin
12-22-2003, 06:41 AM
I once urinated on some cool kids.

azmuse
12-22-2003, 06:57 AM
were you a frat boy?

sloegin
12-22-2003, 07:01 AM
No, I'm a freakin pixie.

Azoic
12-22-2003, 07:07 AM
yes, but then I got wise.

Sloe: how is that, being a pixie and all?

sloegin
12-22-2003, 07:16 AM
Delightful, but sometimes I wish I could go back to being a grisette.

fayefaye
12-22-2003, 07:56 AM
I snub people who think they're cool. Puts 'em in their place.

Koa
12-22-2003, 08:44 AM
I still suppose than Bono was cooler than The Edge in school.
Now The Edge is cooler cos he shuts up sometimes...

I'm totally uncool and never do anything to be cool because people concerned about being cool are totally uninteresting.

Still this topic is unconfortable...school...coolness in school... teenage angst... more-than-20-years-old angst... Bah.

fayefaye
12-22-2003, 08:46 AM
teenager-ness. *shudder*

Koa
12-22-2003, 08:49 AM
(Faye stop following me ;))

Isn't it stupid? I hated all that crap about teenagers being depressed and such. It's not a question of age. If I want to be depressed, I'm free to be depressed at 20 (and I'm doing pretty well :D)or at 40 too, not only at 14! Teenage years are not more difficult than any other age of your life, excluding childhood if you're lucky.

crisaor
12-22-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Koa
I used to be deeply into U2 when I was 15...then I discovered what was right for me (see the thread about music).
It is right for you (and anyone), provided you don't go beyond Pop and pay special attention to Achtung Babe and The Joshua Tree.

Originally posted by Koa
I still suppose than Bono was cooler than The Edge in school.
Now The Edge is cooler cos he shuts up sometimes...
You're right on track. Have you ever seen pictures of the Edge in their early (and not so early) years??. He's cool now. Not before.
Uh, wait a minute, that last sentence sounded like I'm 13. Something's wrong :rolleyes:

AbdoRinbo
12-22-2003, 04:37 PM
The Edge is laughing, inside, at all of you.

Azoic
12-22-2003, 09:49 PM
and we (I) laugh back :D

AbdoRinbo
12-23-2003, 02:58 AM
Laugh all you want, you'll never catch up to The Edge.

crisaor
12-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Well, I'm not trying to. :)

Azoic
12-23-2003, 03:33 PM
nope, just laughing. :D

Koa
12-23-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by crisaor
It [B]is right for you (and anyone), provided you don't go beyond Pop and pay special attention to Achtung Babe and The Joshua Tree.

Now that's one of the many mysteries of my taste. I can't stand The Joshua Tree. It's judged as one of the best albums ever by a lot of people, but it's definitely the one I like less. Except maybe a couple of songs...
I love Pop. I don't consider their latest album as an U2 album, it sounds like Backstreet Boys.

subterranean
12-24-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by AbdoRinbo
You're not a fan because you're not as cool as The Edge

OUch, I suppose The Edge is the indicator around here;)

DumbLikeAPoet
12-24-2003, 12:42 AM
The Edge is cool because he has an *original* name....I wish I could be that cool. Oh and I wish I could wear a cowboy hat.

Jonus

imthefoolonthehill
12-24-2003, 02:01 AM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about... 80s music?

Basil
12-24-2003, 04:58 AM
Yes, I suppose you're right: after all, what has Bono ever done, other than DEDICATE HIMSELF TO SAVING THE WORLD? Sure, the Edge sits around wearing his cowboy hat, while meanwhile Bono and his sunglasses are doing--what?--nothing short of SAVING THE WORLD. God bless Bono. And his sunglasses.

sloegin
12-24-2003, 05:28 AM
His BVLGARI sunglasses. But anyone who knows anything about sunglasses, knows Cartier is better.

Koa
12-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Basil
Yes, I suppose you're right: after all, what has Bono ever done, other than DEDICATE HIMSELF TO SAVING THE WORLD? Sure, the Edge sits around wearing his cowboy hat, while meanwhile Bono and his sunglasses are doing--what?--nothing short of SAVING THE WORLD. God bless Bono. And his sunglasses.

Good news people, the world has been saved!!!

*turns on tv and starts to doubt*

Ok, I got your point, but still you're not talking of Jesus Christ (for those who believe) or any other godly entity...
Maybe the Edge is doing his little part in this desperate effort, even just by sitting there with his cowboy hat, how can you know it? The fact that what Bono does is so public doesn't make it more valuable than it surely is (*hint*).

crisaor
12-24-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Koa
Now that's one of the many mysteries of my taste. I can't stand The Joshua Tree. It's judged as one of the best albums ever by a lot of people, but it's definitely the one I like less. Except maybe a couple of songs...
I love Pop. I don't consider their latest album as an U2 album, it sounds like Backstreet Boys.
The Joshua Tree is not a bad album (actually, it's pretty good), but it's been played over and over so many times now that most of the songs aren't as meaningful anymore. My favourite album is Achtung Babe. Pop is an experimental album, and great in that sense. As you say, the new album sucks , and their second "greatest hits" album doesn't contain the best of the band in that period either.

How? By going on tour with Paul O'Neill???? Tell me you're kidding.

Basil
12-24-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Koa
The fact that what Bono does is so public doesn't make it more valuable than it surely is (*hint*). [/B]

No, no. . . the fact that it IS so public is precisely what makes it so valuable. The problem is that it is not public enough. If only more people paid attention to Bono and his unflagging attempts to rid the world of all its ills, then maybe his efforts wouldn't be in vain. Maybe if more celebrities were willing to thrust themselves into the world's spotlight and assume the mantle of Savior of the World like Bono has so selflessly done, then maybe--just maybe--we can get this planet saved once and for all. But the problem lies not with Bono; no no, it's everyone else who needs to get on board.

Koa
12-24-2003, 06:23 PM
The Joshua Tree is not a bad album (actually, it's pretty good), but it's been played over and over so many times now that most of the songs aren't as meaningful anymore. My favourite album is Achtung Babe. Pop is an experimental album, and great in that sense. As you say, the new album sucks , and their second "greatest hits" album doesn't contain the best of the band in that period either

I don't know about the greatest hits, but I'm glad to finally find someone that agrees on their latest crap...ehm..album.
Achtung Baby is one of the greatest albums ever....one of my favourites by U2 together with Pop (experimental as you say, but I tend to like that kind of things plus it was the one that got me into U2), and I have a soft spot for that underrated gem that is The Unforgettable Fire- it is also one of my depression albums, there are a few tracks (like the first one) that really move me.

Basil, I'm still not convinced... many people do charity and stuff without making it public... Surely if those who count listened to Bono and other people like that, there will be less problems around...

Basil
12-26-2003, 03:17 AM
Koa,

I don't know. . . maybe my earlier, sarcasm-drenched posts concerning Bono (and his sunglasses) are just the manifestations of a deeply rooted jealousy I have of the man. I mean, it's easy to be cynical about a celebrity's intentions when he/she devotes himself/herself to a particular issue--to see it as a strictly self-aggrandizing, ego driven act. But then again, what do I ultimately know about the motivations behind Bono's actions? Maybe the man's a saint. He was, after all, nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize this year, and yet, somehow, the nominating committee continues to overlook all of MY good works. . .

crisaor
12-26-2003, 11:44 AM
Bono's all right. He's not the world saver, but he's okay, I like the band he's in. I don't know if he's a saint or not, but I'm pretty sure that the Nobel prize (either being nominated or winning it) is no indication of being a good guy. Kissinger won it, remember?

IWilKikU
12-26-2003, 08:39 PM
Did Bono win a Nobel?

Nevermind. It helps to actually read the texts before replying for them.

AbdoRinbo
12-26-2003, 10:43 PM
Basil, are you a feminist?

Basil
12-27-2003, 02:52 AM
No. . .why, are you involved in some sort of recruitment drive?

AbdoRinbo
12-27-2003, 05:53 AM
No, no. I was curious because feminists are notorious for swapping the politically correct 'he/she' for the grammatically correct 'he'. It was just an observation.

subterranean
12-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Ahh, U2...They're just a bunch of Irish Lads who think that they have made it in the music world

*duck and cover*

crisaor
12-29-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by subterranean
*duck and cover*
That won't save you from the heavy artillery ;) .

piquant
12-29-2003, 05:08 PM
I would consider myself a feminist and I stick to "he." I hate the way he/she sticks in my mind and throat, and the way it sounds. Sometime I switch it up ad use "she" for my general pronoun, but he gets the message accross, and doesn't stick out as awkward to the reader. You say feminist like an accusation... Nah, nevermind, enough with my crusade!

Koa
12-29-2003, 05:16 PM
Btw, we were discussing Bono and The Edge but we forgot about one of the most handsome men on earth: Larry Mullen. *drooling*

:D

subterranean
12-29-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by crisaor
That won't save you from the heavy artillery ;) .

Actually I was only preparing my self from being stoned :p

IWilKikU
12-30-2003, 04:19 AM
there was another thread somwhere where Abs tears apart feminism (or at least I think it was Abs). This one is about tearing apart Sub:mad: :mad: :mad:

Basil
12-30-2003, 04:13 PM
feminists are notorious for swapping the politically correct 'he/she' for the grammatically correct 'he'.[/QUOTE]

Well, you're certainly right that 'he/she' is more P.C. than using 'he' to represent both genders. And you're also right that using 'he' is grammatically correct. Two other things that might be pointed out:

1.'he/she' is also grammatically correct, as well as politically correct.

2. using 'he' as a gender-inclusive pronoun (I believe this is known as 'the masculine universal') is as socially accepted in the world of academia as referring to women as '*****es'.

In fact, I don't think it's even taught anymore. At least, that's been my experience. I can think of at least three classes in which this subject was brought up and each time the professor flatly told us not to use it. I just looked in the two reference books I have here at the house (Handbook for Writers, by Simon and Schuster and A Pocket Style Manual by St. Martin's Press), and neither even mentions the masculine universal as being grammatically correct, or even being a viable option. Instead, there are a lot of statements like this:
"The traditional use of 'he' (or 'his') to refer to persons of either sex is now widely considered sexist."

Now, don't think I'm defending the 'he/she' construction on ideological grounds--I'm not. I'm merely defending my use of it. Hell, I agree with Piquant's assessment: it's awkward (normally, I would just change the pronoun and its antecedent to the plural). But, Abdo, I disagree with your implication that it is some sort of peculiar grammatical aberration by which feminists can be identified: it is way more prevalent than that. So, to answer your question again: no, I'm not a feminist. Am I an all too willing stooge who's been duped by the widespread feminist agenda? Well. . .you can decide that for yourself.

piquant
12-30-2003, 04:22 PM
Whoa! Kicking *** with the grammar! So jealous I don't have your skills.

fayefaye
12-31-2003, 07:13 AM
"The traditional use of 'he' (or 'his') to refer to persons of either sex is now widely considered sexist."

Now, don't think I'm defending the 'he/she' construction on ideological grounds--I'm not. I'm merely defending my use of it. Hell, I agree with Piquant's assessment: it's awkward (normally, I would just change the pronoun and its antecedent to the plural). But, Abdo, I disagree with your implication that it is some sort of peculiar grammatical aberration by which feminists can be identified: it is way more prevalent than that.

I don't think that writing 'he' is sexist. I use 'he' instead of 'he/she' because, as basil and piquant said, he/she is needlessly awkward, and who really cares about being PC? I probably would consider myself a bit of a feminist, but even if I weren't, I would still use 'he' because it's easier. And basil made excellent points-nowadays 'he' is far more prevalent than 'he/she' and it seems that it was only years ago in the time when feminists needed to be pacified from the idea of it being significant of sexism, that the use of 'he' as a pronoun for both sexes wasn't used.

subterranean
01-02-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by IWilKikU
there was another thread somwhere where Abs tears apart feminism (or at least I think it was Abs). This one is about tearing apart Sub:mad: :mad: :mad:

Of course I was just pretending to be afraid. There's nothing to be afraid from a person who thinks that The Edge is the coolest guy in the world..:D

Basil
01-02-2004, 10:06 PM
By the way, why you wearing rubber gloves. . .having a little safe sex with yourself?

azmuse
01-03-2004, 12:39 AM
oh, Basil, grooooss...and i thought I had an inappropriately dirty mind.

fayefaye
01-03-2004, 07:06 AM
. . . I'll retreat to the shadows now, where I feel safe with my offensive sense of humor.

Goodbye.

Abs, you just WISH you had an offensive sense of humour. But nobody here gets offended. :D Anyway, looks like abdo's met his match. :) excellent.

crisaor
01-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by subterranean
Of course I was just pretending to be afraid. There's nothing to be afraid from a person who thinks that The Edge is the coolest guy in the world..:D
Ouch. That's gotta hurt. :rolleyes: