PDA

View Full Version : Let's hear your music

subterranean
12-20-2003, 01:32 AM
Let's have a music discussion, shall we?!

What sort of music you listen to?

I listen to many bands especially from the 60's and 70's. Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are my all time favs. And I also listen to several other bands from those times. I don't really listen to bands from the 90'sand the 00's, just check them out once in a while (for the sake of my music knowledges) . Radiohead is a special exception, of course!

Personally, I think the music from the old times (60's, 70's particularry) still rule!!!

Shine on

:cool:

azmuse
12-20-2003, 02:39 AM
fleetwood mac, JIMI HENDRIX, 50 cent, maxwell, vivaldi, rochmaninoff, r. kelly, van morrison,snoop d oh double g, jill scott, rolling stones, sappy stuff, disco

azmuse
12-20-2003, 03:04 AM
yeah...i love the 70's stuff too. that's real music.

Dyrwen
12-20-2003, 05:59 AM
I listen to Political Punk (Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys, Anti-Flag) as well as Hardcore Metal (Between the Buried and Me, As I Lay Dying, From Autumn to Ashes).

One allows for a sense of care for the world, the other a sense of care for myself.

Jay
12-20-2003, 09:07 AM
rock, rock ballads, the 80s, have I said ballads yet?... Evanescence... anything as far as I like it, what doesn't make my ears go all ouchy...

ihrocks
12-20-2003, 10:57 AM
Oh I wish all you people who claim to love '70s rock would discover Mott the Hoople, Ian Hunter, and Mick Ronson. You'll be so glad if you do.

In addition to the above I listen to Billy Bragg, Ian Dury, Kate Rusby, all the basic "classic rock" genre (I'm that age, unfortunately), vintage funk, and lots and lots and lots of jazz: Miles, Monk, Mingus, Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young, and on and on. Oh! and props to whoever said Vivaldi! I've been on a Vivaldi tear lately. Can't get enough mandolins in my life!

And of course, given the time of year, I must mention Vince Garauldi, the marvelous pianist who provided the soundtrack to the "Charlie Brown Christmas," and naturally, the Pogues for "Fairy Tale of New York," my all time favorite Christmas song.

And my latest purchase is Blackmore Night's "Ghost of A Rose." It is Deep Purple's guitar-meister Ritchie Blackmore doing a somewhat contemporary interpretation of Renaissance/Medieval music, with charming vocals by Candace Night.

ihrocks

IWilKikU
12-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Everyone is going to shudder as I name off all of my popular favs, oh well, here goes.

Metallica, Ozzy/Sabbath, System of a Down, Marylin Manson, Tool, Radiohead, Eminem, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Audioslave, Nirvana.

Thats probably my top ten in no particular order.

ihrocks
12-20-2003, 11:58 AM
So, IWil, just a little bright, breezy, uplifting stuff for you, right? :)

But no Nine Inch Nails? I would think that little ray of sunshine Trent Reznor would be right up your alley! :)

ihrocks

Azoic
12-20-2003, 05:24 PM
House music, but sadly I let my brother borrow my record collection 2 months ago, so I can't look up my favorite artists on a whim.

As far as CDs Frankie Bones is pretty good, oh and Schooly D. Plus Mark Farina, Joseph Newman, and Doc Martin.

AbdoRinbo
12-20-2003, 09:34 PM

sloegin
12-21-2003, 07:46 AM
The Girls: Fiona Apple, Jewel, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughn, PJ Harvey, Sarah McLachlan, Ani Difranco, Janis Joplin, Nancy Sinatra; there's more but I'm to lazy to type them.

The Boys: Outkast, N.W.A., Clapton/Cream, Armstrong, Ellington, Davis, Getz, Gilberto, The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Sex Pistols, The Dead Milkmen, Jethro Tull, Queen, Johnny Cash, America, Nat King Cole, 2 Live Crew; and on and on, we go.

Everything else or Hermaphrodite Buffet: Jefferson Airplane, Bizet's Carmen, Rossini's Il Barbiere di Siviglia, Verdi's Il Trovatore; who am I kidding, I just wanted to say hermaphrodite.

Koa
12-21-2003, 12:00 PM
Aah-ah... It's hard to sum up what I like using words, I like certain kinds of rock, and certain kinds of electronic music... And they have to have depressive, or at least poetic lyrics. And I'm totally in love with the 80s.

Easier to mention some names of my favourites: Depeche Mode (now I expect either some insults or a choir of 'Who the hell are them???), The Cure, The Smiths, Placebo, REM, Joy Division, ... I could go on but I guess these are the main ones.

AbdoRinbo
12-21-2003, 03:28 PM

crisaor
12-21-2003, 03:47 PM
I listen to a lot of music. Just a few I like: The Beatles (all time favourite), Oasis, U2, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink floyd, The Police, Radiohead, Miles Davis, David Bowie, The Doors, The Pixies, Astor Piazzolla, etc.
Obviously, there's more than this. I just listed the ones I have 3 cds or more, for practical purposes.

Koa
12-21-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by AbdoRinbo
I saw The Cure and Depeche Mode in concert. They're killer.

AAAAH AAAAAH AAAAAAH (and lots of other AAAAAHs)!!!!!

I saw DM only once...but now I don't mind dying: I've seen them! Of course I'd love to see them again before I die :rolleyes: They're some kind of religion for me.

Never seen The Cure, but I got into them quite recently, I've always been scared of liking them too much.

azmuse
12-21-2003, 10:02 PM
i don't care for The Cure but love the tat on his back

subterranean
12-21-2003, 11:00 PM
At first I didn't really like The Cure, then I heard this one song "why can't i be you", which was really fits my heart's situation at the time i heard that song (I was a teenage at that time who always felt insecure with my self :))
Then I started to dig the band and some of their songs are cool.

Azoic
12-22-2003, 04:49 AM
I still don't much care for The Cure. I really like Depeche Mode, though, sorry to dissapoint Koa, with lack of insult/who the hell is that :D :p :D :p :D

EWWWWWW... My cousins cat's tail is wet, maybe from beer? It's so gross. Sorry about that little tangent.

I left my computer in Colorado when I moved to California (1300 mile/2167(?)Km trip, FYI), and that is where most of my music is = sad Azoic.

azmuse
12-22-2003, 05:03 AM
no wonder you don't sound like you're from Marin County; i couldn't figger that out.

...maybe tell your cousin's cat to drink beer from the Other end? ;)

azmuse
12-22-2003, 05:06 AM
(after multiple edits)
f me sideways; i can never make my comp behave as it is!!! ...maybe 'cuz it's late

Azoic
12-22-2003, 06:04 AM
well, I'll f you any way you want, if you're female.

I can't make the cat do much of anything, and I'm not really sure that it's beer anyway (could be much nastier).

Speaking of marin county, are you from/in the bay area?

azmuse
12-22-2003, 06:10 AM
sonoma county for 7 more days - grew up here - then off to philly

Azoic
12-22-2003, 06:19 AM
MMMM.... Philly cheese steak.....

So you're only around for some sort of Judeo/Christian holliday, and then off to the East? I'm doing just about the same. I'm going to spend a couple of days back in Colorado just after new years, then I'm going to move back to Ohio for a few months... Then Chicago for 2 months, South Carolina for about a year, and... well I have no idea after that. Crazy, huh?

azmuse
12-22-2003, 06:22 AM
Totally cool :) you grew up in Ohio and spent time in Colorado?

ah, yes...I worked once at a cheese steak place; got to yell sassily at max decibels for a living from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. ...such fun

Azoic
12-22-2003, 06:26 AM
Indeed. I'm very glad to be out of Ohio (although I'm going to go back for a few months soon). I went to Colorado for university, although I don't like university, so I'm learning what I want to learn in other ways.

What do you do in Philly? And why is cheesesteak so good? Is it the yelling?

azmuse
12-22-2003, 06:51 AM
clinical medical assisting, and it's definitely the yelling. otherwise the taste buds get involved - instead of the ears - and one realizes that there is cheese whiz dripping from their sandwich...

azmuse
12-22-2003, 06:52 AM
i did the same thing out in the wide wide world...was so not ready for school at 17

Azoic
12-22-2003, 07:06 AM
Yeah, I even spent 4 years in college, finally I realize that I would proabably end up killing myself if I didn't quit partying, and therefore college. Sadly I wasn't ready to just make new friends without just moving to a new place, and trying something completely different. I'm probably still not ready to make lots of new friends, in the same way I had before. Too many people are a burdon (sometimes, especially in college).

sloegin
12-22-2003, 07:29 AM
Have either of you experienced the pleasure of homicide?

azmuse
12-22-2003, 07:30 AM
no dear but my landlady offered to do me in one time
you? truthfully, now

Azoic
12-22-2003, 07:31 AM
I prefer not to speak of my youthful indescretions.

azmuse
12-22-2003, 07:34 AM
...she wonders which formless picture in her mind is acquainted with the truth...

sloegin
12-22-2003, 07:34 AM
Well then, it may give you a new perception on life.

Azoic
12-22-2003, 07:35 AM
you ever watch kids smoke crack and then play bullet tag? That may give you a new perception on life too.

sloegin
12-22-2003, 07:38 AM
I've seen a mother, her lover, and kid, smoking crack. Then there was a drive-by...no more family outings. Really.

fayefaye
12-22-2003, 08:03 AM
uh. Seriously? that's really screwed up.

music? rock. a bit of Jpop, but only because I'm surrounded by the stuff, and don't find the lyrics too inane if I don't bother to translate them. I play a bit of classical, but don't really listen to it. Oh, and don't anyone dare insult the red hot chilli peppers. last time someone at this forum did that, I threatened to kill him.. :rolleyes:

Azoic
12-22-2003, 08:07 AM
Yeah, music is much cooler than crap I moved away from. Too bad I don't like Red Hot Chili Peppers. :eek:

fayefaye
12-22-2003, 08:09 AM
NOOOOO!!!!! HOW DARE YOU!!!! DIE!!!!! *EVIL EMOTICON*

Isagel
12-22-2003, 08:09 AM
I realize that I have lived a sheltered life.
Back to the subject of music?

I like a lot of different kinds of music.

I like jazz alot, especially Billie Holiday and Louis Armstrong. My grandfather used to play jazz when he was babysitting and it got stuck in my head. I also like bands like Nine Inch nails and Marilyn Manson ( During my teens -early twenties I used to be into the "gothscene" )I think Depeche Mode are great.

For dancing I really like Missy Elliot, Faithless and Tricky.

I think my favorite music artist is David Bowie.

Koa
12-22-2003, 08:38 AM
Wow, the people on this forum are music-literate other than literature-educated (you even know Depeche Mode, I find it impressive...yeah Azoic, I'm almost disappointed :D). I'm totally amazed by this crowd. (Noone has mentioned boybands yet... it's incredible!)

Koa
12-22-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Isagel

I think my favorite music artist is David Bowie. [/B]

Respect.

fayefaye
12-22-2003, 08:42 AM
Shoot me before you make me listen to western pop music.

Koa
12-22-2003, 08:46 AM
*waves at faye* Hey! We're here at the same time!

Come on, popmusic can be useful...when I have self-destructive moments I pay attention to MTV and have a great laugh :)

fayefaye
12-22-2003, 08:51 AM
MTV sickens me.

Koa
12-22-2003, 08:58 AM
I see the funny side of it. I love trash!!!

This is my 500th post!!! (and it's useless....oops...)

fayefaye
12-22-2003, 09:00 AM
LOL. congrats. I hate trash. It really belongs in the garbage...

crisaor
12-22-2003, 11:28 AM
I like jazz alot, especially Billie Holiday and Louis Armstrong. My grandfather used to play jazz when he was babysitting and it got stuck in my head. I also like bands like Nine Inch nails and Marilyn Manson ( During my teens -early twenties I used to be into the "gothscene" )I think Depeche Mode are great.

Isagel, you like both jazz and maryllin manson????? :confused:
Is that even possible? It's like having a taste for book reading and book burning.
Bah, I can't really talk. I used to listen to Roxette when I was 14. :o The shames of my past haunt me to these days...

IWilKikU
12-22-2003, 01:43 PM
My drama teacher was an '80's goth. Alot different than a '90's goth. Anyways, we used dark '80's electronica for the soundtrack to the production of Macbeth that I directed. I heard alot of cool new bands that we used. My theme was "Kill the King" by Sister's of Mercy.

Isagel
12-22-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by crisaor
Isagel, you like both jazz and maryllin manson????? :confused:
Is that even possible? It's like having a taste for book reading and book burning.

Ever really listened to the lyrics of Strange fruit? Marilyn M could have lyrics like that. Lady Day was considered offensive in her time.

I like music that makes me feel something.

I have a broad taste. I´m old - I´ve picked up different things over the years... And I´m not ashamed. Not even for those Roxette albums.(Yep- I had those as well....) They made me happy. Some music you grow out off, like discarded views.Some you keep like nostalgia.And some experiences just grows in the company of each other. The new Marilyn Mrecord sits nicely next to my Gisela May sings Brecht record. Theare both in the grotesque Cabaret tradition.

crisaor
12-23-2003, 10:58 AM
I like music that makes me feel something. Some music you grow out off, like discarded views. Some you keep like nostalgia. And some experiences just grows in the company of each other.
That's very right, and I know what you mean. I have an Iron Maiden album next to a John Coltrane's.

subterranean
12-23-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Koa
Wow, the people on this forum are music-literate other than literature-educated (you even know Depeche Mode, I find it impressive...yeah Azoic, I'm almost disappointed :D). I'm totally amazed by this crowd. (Noone has mentioned boybands yet... it's incredible!)

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think knowing Depeche Mode is a sign that you're a music literate :)

Ok, I'll confes, I once had special interest in Backstreet Boy :o

(Go ahead , shoot me)

DumbLikeAPoet
12-23-2003, 11:54 PM
Here is my music.....violent femmes, Johnny Cash, The Promise Ring, early Weezer, Janis Joplin, Armstrong, O.A.R , Rufus Wainright, Belle and Sebastion.

When I was in my teens(2 years ago) Sublime, H20, MxPx, all the other punk type crap.

Jonus

Koa
12-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by subterranean
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think knowing Depeche Mode is a sign that you're a music literate :)

To me it is.

*shoots subterranean for what he confessed above* ;) :D
(seriously anyway, I'm sure everyone has something to be embarassed about in his/her musical tastes, even if just in the past).

crisaor
12-24-2003, 02:14 PM
*Shoots at Subterrean, aiming for the kill*

Azoic
12-24-2003, 09:39 PM
nah, Sub, I'm not going to shoot you. That's too quick... *Evil smiley*

IWilKikU
12-25-2003, 04:52 AM
Ok guys leave sub alone, I have a much more humiliating confession.

My first CDs were,
Ace of Base
All-4-one
Hootie and the Blowfish.

I want to cry now

Koa
12-25-2003, 02:34 PM
Ace Of Base!!! Wow that's so 90s!!! :)

I won't confess what I'm embarassed of because you wouldnt know it, I used to listen to Italian crap cos I didn't understand any English anyway... no wait, one my first steps into Englishness (Americannness in that case) was taken with a Mariah Carey (!!!) tape... *blushes and WANTS insults now* :D

crisaor
12-26-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by IWilKikU
Ok guys leave sub alone, I have a much more humiliating confession.My first CDs were,
Ace of Base
All-4-one
Hootie and the Blowfish.
I want to cry now
Cry? You should kill yourself ;) . Welcome to the world of forum humiliation (check my earlier post).:D

Originally posted by Koa
I won't confess what I'm embarassed of because you wouldnt know it, I used to listen to Italian crap cos I didn't understand any English anyway... no wait, one my first steps into Englishness (Americannness in that case) was taken with a Mariah Carey (!!!) tape... *blushes and WANTS insults now*
Well, i didn't wanna do it, but since you asked... you're a dork! :p

I guess it is true that everyone of us has a dead body in the closet.

Koa
12-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Thank you crisaor, I feel better now!... no actually I don't, it doesn't take the shame away :D

I guess it is true that everyone of us has a dead body in the closet

And yes it IS true... who has no sin can cast the first stone!!! (I guess this is not how it sounds but whatever, you know what I'm trying to quote)

IWilKikU
12-26-2003, 08:42 PM
I think that foolonthehill is the only one with a real dead body in the closet.

fayefaye
12-29-2003, 06:25 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think knowing Depeche Mode is a sign that you're a music literate

*deep breath* I don't know who they are.

Ok, someone tell the music illiterate.

Oh-here's a quote from the inside cover of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers Greatest Hits album-

When any person stays in a state of giving they are at their best.

(Flea)

irrelevant? Absolutely. But it might help my pro-chilli peppers propaganda... well, a little.

crisaor
12-29-2003, 09:49 AM
Ever since Californication, I respect the chili peppers a little more.

Koa
12-29-2003, 05:19 PM
I respect the RHCP cos their music is quality stuff... But I can't seem to manage to really like them, except a few songs. Same thing for Radiohead and a few others.
Though I wish californication wasn't that hugely popular, things that get so popular make me suspicious...

subterranean
12-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Well, RHCP is a little bit stagnant in music, many songs sounds quite similiar (IMHO) :)

subterranean
12-29-2003, 10:44 PM
Oh Kik, Shame on you...C'mon, ACE OF BASE ? ;)

Thanks for the shots guys, still ache till now :D

IWilKikU
12-30-2003, 04:15 AM
:o I know, I know. I was young!!!

Anyways, Faye, I dont think you have to spread pro RHCP propoganda. Everyone here seems to like or at least respect them. (self included.)

fayefaye
12-30-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Koa
Though I wish californication wasn't that hugely popular, things that get so popular make me suspicious...

yeah, me too. Nothing puts me off something quite as much as everybody else being completely in love with it. Not just music, but books, movies, tv shows, etc. So nobody's going to tell me about this Depache Mode? And kik, until I posted up my RHCP propaganda, I hadn't read of anybody here liking or respecting them-just Az and Ickmeister saying that they 'don't really like them' or that they are 'really bad.'

Koa
12-30-2003, 12:19 PM
Well, RHCP is a little bit stagnant in music, many songs sounds quite similiar (IMHO) :)

Same for me actually, that's why I can only respect them, not really like them...

faye, you asked for it... I'll send you a pm when I finish checking the forum. Then don't complain about MY propaganda :D ;)

crisaor
12-30-2003, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the shots guys, still ache till now :D
You're welcome. You know, dodging bullets it's a great exercise for the body, keeps you in shape. :D

Originally posted by fayefaye
So nobody's going to tell me about this Depeche Mode?
They're an 80's band, famous for being the first "electronic music band", in the way that they used synthesizers and the like to compose actual songs in the classical manner, with chorus and all, instead of just doing "dance" music. They've got a couple of very good albums (Violator and Music for the Masses), no more.

Originally posted by Koa
Same for me actually, that's why I can only respect them, not really like them...
Likewise.:)

Koa
12-30-2003, 04:02 PM
Crisaor, faye now has 2 long private messages about depeche mode, she might get another one if I'm really bored tonight :D

fayefaye
12-31-2003, 06:49 AM
Thanks koa. and *sigh* even though I love them, it's true that the chilli peppers songs are awful similar. I do still love them.

IWilKikU
01-01-2004, 04:54 PM
The stuff off "One Hot Minute" has a really unique voice, because John Fruisiante (or however its spelled) was replaced with Dave Navarro (or however its spelled). Its alot more driven than the slower paced Californication.

subterranean
01-02-2004, 07:19 AM
I dont know which one is it, but RHCP's guitarrist (whether it was John or Dave), was included in 100 guitarrist of all time by the Rolling Stones mag. Personally I was kinda disappointed with the list,since Dave or John was put at a higher rank than David Gilmour (Pink Floyd lead guitarrist). I mean, there's no way DAve or John was higher than David... Mr. Gilmour is a legend.

I don't read or check out Rolling Stones mag/website since then :mad:

crisaor, there must be a better and less-painful way to keep in shape ;) , which i dont know what..

faye, though u already got some pms about depeche mode, you can check out also www.allmusic.com. It's a great site that has complete info about many bands/singers etc. One of my fav sites:)

Koa
01-03-2004, 12:39 PM
Oh yeah I often check the allmusic site too...I try to look for the most obscure bands and see what they have about them :D

crisaor
01-03-2004, 03:11 PM
I dont know which one is it, but RHCP's guitarrist (whether it was John or Dave), was included in 100 guitarrist of all time by the Rolling Stones mag. Personally I was kinda disappointed with the list,since Dave or John was put at a higher rank than David Gilmour (Pink Floyd lead guitarrist). I mean, there's no way DAve or John was higher than David... Mr. Gilmour is a legend.
I agree. Gilmour rocks. Hendrix was the first in that list, wasn't he?

crisaor, there must be a better and less-painful way to keep in shape ;) , which i dont know what..

Yes, there are, but they're not as fun ;)

subterranean
01-04-2004, 04:09 AM
I agree. Gilmour rocks. Hendrix was the first in that list, wasn't he?
Yes, if I'm not mistaken

Yes, there are, but they're not as fun ;) [/B]

Well pal, you should try it yourself. You weren't the one who get shot at. And i tell you, it's no fun at all ;)

crisaor
01-05-2004, 05:51 PM
Sorry. Too much Matrix will do that to ya :D .

subterranean
01-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Matrix huh?!

*remembering Revolution, that awful end of trilogy*

fayefaye
01-09-2004, 05:46 AM
I deserve to be shot for not earlier paying homage to:
-the smashing pumpkins, I've listened to their Adore CD that by now I should be certifiably crazy. (even though I hate the song Ava Adore, always skip it)
-The Goo Goo Dolls (of course)
-Oasis

fayefaye
01-09-2004, 06:11 AM
(yes, I do remain blissfully ignorant of a lot of the smashing pumpkins lyrics)

Blade
01-09-2004, 08:54 AM
haha oasis...i havent heard that band in a while

fayefaye
01-10-2004, 08:03 AM
Listened to em yesterday. 'Cuz maybe... you're gonna be the one to save me... and after all, you're my wonderwall...'

crisaor
01-10-2004, 10:44 AM
Matrix huh?!
*remembering Revolution, that awful end of trilogy*
The only one good is the original, of course. I'm not over it though. Revolutions wasn't what I was expecting (not by a longshot), but I feel like it was a definite improvement over Reloaded. When I walked out of Revolutions, I didn't feel like I've had been robbed. I did in the second one.

I deserve to be shot for not earlier paying homage to:
-the smashing pumpkins, I've listened to their Adore CD that by now I should be certifiably crazy. (even though I hate the song Ava Adore, always skip it)
-Oasis
Oasis rocks. I've said this already. You won't be shot now that you've acknowledged thy error :D .
Regarding the Pumpkins, I really like Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

Nadine
01-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but not to the site. I can honestly say I don't have a favourite "type" of music. Over the past few days I've been listening to Harry Connick Jr (helluva voice), Bette Midler, Deee-Lite. A lot of the time I listen to 80's music or songs from the 90's. Don't listen to much of the chart music, all this house and garage drives me insane, but thats not to say I'm biased against those that do. Loving the site BTW :p

fayefaye
01-11-2004, 06:10 AM
BETTE MIDLER??EWWWWW....

Koa
01-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Who's Bette Midler? i think I heard this name before

I liked Oasis when i was 14. Still love the Morning Glory cd, all the rest was such a delusion to me... Really didn't like anything else they did (excpet a couple of songs).

I can't get into the Smashing Pumpkins... I like some songs, I generally like them, but I couldnt manage to listen to the cds much...they don't stick to me..

crisaor
01-12-2004, 03:16 PM
"Thanks to your gloomy music, they've finally stopped dreaming about a future I can't possibly provide". :D ;)

fayefaye
01-13-2004, 06:05 AM
LOL. :D ;) :)

I listen to them so much, but they do make me really pensive. I have no idea why i listen to them so much. maybe I'm more masochistic than I thought?

subterranean
01-13-2004, 09:37 PM
Oasis rocks. I've said this already. You won't be shot now that you've acknowledged thy error :D .
Regarding the Pumpkins, I really like Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but sometimes band member's behaviour really affect me in liking a band. I think that Liam is a smartarse ;). I only like What's the Story....

The Smashing Pumpkins is a great band. Too bad they separated (comedy doesn't pay..huh?!). And Billy is somekind of a genious.

crisaor
01-14-2004, 03:11 PM
I listen to them so much, but they do make me really pensive. I have no idea why i listen to them so much. maybe I'm more masochistic than I thought?
We're all are. :)

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but sometimes band member's behaviour really affect me in liking a band. I think that Liam is a smartarse . I only like What's the Story....
I know what you mean. It's happened to me in the past. Just not with Oasis ;) . Liam is merely the singer, albeit a great one. Noel is the brain of the band.

atiguhya padma
01-15-2004, 01:33 PM
My current favourite bands:

Godspeed You Black Emperor!
Radiohead
Four Tet
Elbow
British Sea Power
Flaming Lips

Koa
01-15-2004, 05:44 PM
We're all are. :)

I know what you mean. It's happened to me in the past. Just not with Oasis ;) . Liam is merely the singer, albeit a great one. Noel is the brain of the band.

Hey, Ive always like Noel so much more! My favourite songs happen to be mostly ones he sings... really I find Liam quite insignificant...

subterranean
01-15-2004, 09:50 PM
.. Liam is merely the singer, albeit a great one. Noel is the brain of the band. [/B]

Some bands are like this. There are some band members who play bigger roles. Like in Pink Floyd, Roger is the brain, Dave is the heart and Syd is the soul.

Speaking about Oasis, i heard the band is looking for a new drummer cause the old one has problem with his hand.
SO sorry for him

crisaor
01-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Koa
Hey, Ive always like Noel so much more! My favourite songs happen to be mostly ones he sings... really I find Liam quite insignificant...
Luckily, most of the songs of the Oasis's repertoire are written by Noel. :)

Some bands are like this. There are some band members who play bigger roles. Like in Pink Floyd, Roger is the brain, Dave is the heart and Syd is the soul.
Speaking about Oasis, i heard the band is looking for a new drummer cause the old one has problem with his hand.
SO sorry for him
I like your Pink Floyd dissection. :D
What I heard is that the band (the brothers) fired Alan White (the drummer) because of "differences". It's not the first time that they do this.

a lonely weed
01-20-2004, 10:22 PM
music is wonderful!!

let's see...there's almost any band/musician from the 70's and 60's, espescially Don McLean, Led Zepplin and the Beatles.

then comes the 80's, Journey, REM, and U2, then the 90's, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Hootie and the Blowfish....there are too many wonderful bands out there!.....Oh yes, the all-time favs Lifehouse, Jars of Clay, Paloalto, and Wilco....I could never stop talking about music

subterranean
01-27-2004, 04:43 AM
What I heard is that the band (the brothers) fired Alan White (the drummer) because of "differences". It's not the first time that they do this. ...

Indeed, why don't they just become a (stupid) dynamic duo and use additional players instead of laying off people over and over...

Orriginally posted by lonely weed
....I could never stop talking about music..

Then Keep Talking.. ;)

star blue
01-27-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by atiguhya padma
My current favourite bands:

Godspeed You Black Emperor!
Radiohead
Four Tet
Elbow
British Sea Power
Flaming Lips

fyi, it's godspeed! you black emperor now . . .

you have pretty good taste in music. have you heard fly pan am or a silver mt. zion memorial orchestra? apparently, both are composed of members from godspeed. both are amazing.

atiguhya padma
01-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the compliment and the recommendations Star Blue.

Are these bands on the same label as GYBE?

Atiguhya Padma

star blue
01-29-2004, 04:45 PM
yes, they're all three on constellation's label.

piquant
01-29-2004, 05:38 PM
I have a thing for classical piano music, Wilco, The Flaming Lips, and others along these lines.

I am absolutely musically illiterate. I just started picking up good music in the past year. Before that, I just didn't like anything. (except instrumental music that had no idiotic lyrics to ruin it (read as pop/country))

subterranean
02-03-2004, 12:24 AM
I listened to some stuffs from the Lips. At first I thought it was just a band that want to try its luck in the music bussiness, but actually the band is worth tuning in to :)

subterranean
02-18-2004, 12:05 AM
Anyone saw LP's live on texas? I saw the footage and it's pretty cool. Chester's got something more to offer with his voice I think.

But one thing that kinda confuse me..don't you think that it's kinda outdated thing to smash instruments these days?? :rolleyes:

Yeroptok
02-18-2004, 05:41 AM
Yeah I listen to Linkin Park mainly right now... though various other bands and vocalist are also in there with what I listen to.

subterranean
02-20-2004, 02:22 AM
Well what do you think about the smashing things they did in Texas?

Lily Adams
07-05-2007, 05:21 PM
It's pretty obvious which band I'm into at the current moment.

I seriously can't get DEVO out of my head. It's really starting to freak me out. My official DEVO shirt came in the mail today, and I nearly married the mailman because of it.

YOU GUYS! SAVE ME FROM MY OWN BRAIN, PLEASE!!! D: But is rather nice, I guess. But they are all I think about nowadays! It's just DEVO, DEVO, DEVO, DEVO, DEVO, DEVO!!!!!!!

I was even crazy enough to revive this really old thread just to talk about them. D:

But...*brain strains hard enough to stop thinking about DEVO for a split second*

I also regularly listen to Oingo Boingo. I'm also trying to get into Depeche Mode, maybe...and some other random new wave 80s bands/singers. Jihad Jerry and the Evildoers...(In your face political and social satire all the way, like DEVO, ha ha... AGH I THOUGHT OF THEM AGAIN! D: )...and of course, classical music and movie soundtracks...plus some jazz, rock 'n' roll, and Celtic.

Bakiryu
07-05-2007, 05:32 PM
I love Linking Park but I'm currently obbsessed with TATU!

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u284/latinamenina1/Tatu.jpg

Nossa
07-05-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm like the HUGEST fan on Linkin Park..and I like Tatu too...though I don't have thier latest album.
I love Within Temptation...Nightwish...Lacuna Coil...Nickelback...Creed...and these kinda music.

Bakiryu
07-05-2007, 05:56 PM
I have 7 linking part t-shirts and most of tatu's songs on my 'pod. I also listen to Kill Hannah, Senses Fail, Three days grace, Via Gra, His Immortal Majesty (H.i.M), Gackt, Miyavi, Marilyn Manson, Verka Serduchka, and The Red Jumpsuit apparatus. (In mostly into emo/foreign things)

Nossa
07-06-2007, 03:24 AM
I have all of Linkin Park albums, but no t-shirts..lol...I'm currently addicted to the new Three Days Grace album actually...I have it on autoplay 24/7 lol
I like some songs by Marilyn Manson as well..
If you like Evanescence then you should really try listening to Within Temptation.

Elly_blue
07-06-2007, 05:29 AM
I like some songs by Marilyn Manson as well..
If you like Evanescence then you should really try listening to Within Temptation.

I love Within Temptation too :banana: But currently I'm listening to nightwish, especially their last album is great!!

Nossa
07-06-2007, 08:40 AM
I love Within Temptation too :banana: But currently I'm listening to nightwish, especially their last album is great!!

I love Nightwish too...but it's been a while since I last listened to anything by them. Which album is that btw?! Maybe I have it somewhere here :D

Annamariah
07-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Within Temptation and Nightwish are great. I'm waiting for Nightwish's new album with their new singer.

Elly_blue
07-06-2007, 03:10 PM
I love Nightwish too...but it's been a while since I last listened to anything by them. Which album is that btw?! Maybe I have it somewhere here :D

˝Once˝, But I also love ˝Century Child˝ :)
Do they really have a new singer? Cool... but I'm not sure if they are going to be as good as they used to be. But I still look forward to their new album

Annamariah
07-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Do they really have a new singer? Cool... but I'm not sure if they are going to be as good as they used to be. But I still look forward to their new album

Yes, her name is Anette Olzon (http://www.nightwish.com/en/band/members/facts?id=16)

You can hear her singing if you listen to these audio samples (http://www.nightwish.com/en/files/audio) from nightwish.com

Their new album Dark Passion Play will be released 28th September :)

Bakiryu
07-06-2007, 07:25 PM
I love Three Days Grace's song: Pain.

Mortis Anarchy
07-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Shiny Toy Guns and Radiohead are my two music obsessions at the moment...even though I've loved Radiohead for years.

Anyone into Amy Winehouse?? Is she not amazing or what?? Her voice! So cool. I'll pretty much listen to anything except for country/bluegrass. May it burn! Ugh can't stand it...its my brothers choice of music...gross. Sorry to all who enjoy it.

Mortis Anarchy
07-06-2007, 07:37 PM
It's pretty obvious which band I'm into at the current moment.

I seriously can't get DEVO out of my head. It's really starting to freak me out. My official DEVO shirt came in the mail today, and I nearly married the mailman because of it.

YOU GUYS! SAVE ME FROM MY OWN BRAIN, PLEASE!!! D: But is rather nice, I guess. But they are all I think about nowadays! It's just DEVO, DEVO, DEVO, DEVO, DEVO, DEVO!!!!!!!

I was even crazy enough to revive this really old thread just to talk about them. D:

But...*brain strains hard enough to stop thinking about DEVO for a split second*

I also regularly listen to Oingo Boingo. I'm also trying to get into Depeche Mode, maybe...and some other random new wave 80s bands/singers. Jihad Jerry and the Evildoers...(In your face political and social satire all the way, like DEVO, ha ha... AGH I THOUGHT OF THEM AGAIN! D: )...and of course, classical music and movie soundtracks...plus some jazz, rock 'n' roll, and Celtic.

I ♥ Oingo Boingo and Depeche Mode...I ♥ 80's music as well as pretty much everything from the 20's on.:D

Adolescent09
07-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Here is a song I think some of you lit-netters will enjoy. I don't even like the song's genre (It sounds like some awkward foreign music but I LOVE it to pieces) which is really saying something because my main music interest lies in HIP HOP which I am aware most of you mature and more intelligent lit-netters find invidious and execrable.

The music is strung together by an ex-dj who is now a practicing physician which is quite interesting! Here it is : Maxwell Implosion - Tic Tac (http://www.musicvideofun.com/v-6017-tic-tac.html)and I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did. I REALLY like it :D

Lily Adams
07-06-2007, 08:30 PM
I ♥ Oingo Boingo and Depeche Mode...I ♥ 80's music as well as pretty much everything from the 20's on.:D

OMG YES! I was at the orthodontist office today, and the radio station was playing "Just Another Day", one of my favorite Oingo Boingo songs! I was totally surprised because I didn't think modern radio would play that kind of stuff. (Shows you how much I listen to radio, I guess.) But it's a radio station that plays whatever. I remember I saw a commercial for the same radio station at a local movie theater, and the commerical was playing "Whip It" by DEVO and it had a guy dong the robot. I nearly had a heart attack as I spazzed out in front of my clueless friend...as you can see, very, very small things will make me extremely happy. So I think I'll listen to that radio station more. This lady I know says they play a lot of '80s stuff. <3

I really, really, want to listen to more Depeche Mode. "People Are People" is amazing, I think.

Mortis Anarchy
07-06-2007, 08:32 PM
OMG YES! I was at the orthodontist office today, and the radio station was playing "Just Another Day", one of my favorite Oingo Boingo songs! I was totally surprised becauseI didn't think modern radio would play that kind of stuff. (Shows you how much I listen to radio, I guess.) But it's a radio station that plays whatever. I remember I saw a commercial for the same radio station at a local movie theater, and the commerical was playing "Whip It" by DEVO and it had a guy dong the robot. I nearly had a heart attack as I spazzed out in front of my clueless friend...as you can see, very, very small things will make me extremely happy. So I think I'll listen to that radio station more. This lady I know says they play a lot of '80s stuff. <3

I really, really, want to listen to more Depeche Mode. "People Are People" is amazing, I think.

Haha, don't worry, little things make me happy. My family is always like "WHAT! ARE! YOU! LAUGHING! AT!":D

:banana: These little guys make me happy. I also really like underground rap...my bro got me into it.

Sigur Ros anyone?

RobinHood3000
07-07-2007, 10:33 AM
I love my oldies - Eagles, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Huey Lewis, plus a lot of the old rock and roll/Motown sounds. I also like soundtracks and Poison from time to time.

andave_ya
07-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Oldies he says. Captain, Fred Astaire, the Andrews Sisters, Gene Kelly, the Pied Pipers, Johnny Mercer, and Frank Sinatra are oldies. :) They used to be my favorites in music but I've moved on to other grounds. Right now my music tends to the more instrumental. the Lord of the Rings soundtrack; and Celtic as Celtic Woman and Loreena McKennitt. Very pretty stuff.

RobinHood3000
07-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Eh - everything's relative. :)

LPRox015
07-08-2007, 10:43 AM
I love everything. I'm a huge rock and Linkin Park fan. Now i'm also really getting into folk music such as Imogen Heap, The Weepies, and Del Amitri. I love the different sounds.

Nossa
07-08-2007, 11:37 AM
I LOVE Linkin Park..I mean WHO DOESN'T? lol
I'm glad I found some LP fans in here :D :D

smartgirl
07-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Linkin park is cool. I listen to hellogoodbye, blue man group, nickelback, tonic, vertical horizon, greenday, all american rejects, red hot chili peppers, evanescence, HIM, three days grace, staind. Lots of bands, but I wanted to know of some others, maybe you guys can recomend some.

Lily Adams
07-08-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm listening to some Klaus Nomi right now.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/shesoutofsync/klausnomi.jpg

I kinda like his music from what little I've heard. Opera mixed with new wave. Maybe I'll get more into his music...

the silent x
07-08-2007, 07:05 PM
i have all of linkin parks CDs except collision course, i have all of demon hunter CDs, skindred, audioslave, breaking benjamin, almost all rock as long as it doesn't slam my beliefs and isn't all boo-hoo poor, poor me kinda thing. i also have some vitamin strigns quartet, they do your everyday rock bands and make tributes for them, they are actually very good

JBI
07-08-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm listening to Anna Netrebko Right now :).

Bakiryu
07-08-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm listening to Justin Timberlake. Most of my music isn't even in English: I have a lot of stuff in Russian, Japanese and Punjabi.

the silent x
07-08-2007, 09:55 PM
the only thing i listen to in another language is rammestein

Bakiryu
07-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Well if you like really funny music you can listen to verka serduchka: he's hilarious.

Or watch this video of rammestein with <3 TATU! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iHsQ9fJi9I

Mortis Anarchy
07-10-2007, 01:22 AM
I'm listening to Justin Timberlake. Most of my music isn't even in English: I have a lot of stuff in Russian, Japanese and Punjabi.

Yep me too. I have stuff from all over the world. My Uncle and cousins are OCD so there thing is collecting cds, I benefit cause I get the music for free. Right now I really like the Paris Combo and Gypsy Kings...pretty good.

Lily Adams
10-26-2007, 03:40 PM
I like Man or Astro-Man?.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/shesoutofsync/astroman.jpg

manolia
10-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Or watch this video of rammestein with <3 TATU! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iHsQ9fJi9I

I like Rammstein :thumbs_up
Check out this one. One of my favourites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGz-xN9nQpQ

(also in David Lynch's "Lost highway" :D )

andave_ya
10-26-2007, 05:12 PM
annie lennox is beginning to become a favorite.

Here's the first song on her new cd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCFbKEVzlOo

Lily Adams
10-26-2007, 05:18 PM
annie lennox is beginning to become a favorite.

Here's the first song on her new cd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCFbKEVzlOo

All I know about her is that she did that really cool song "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" in the Eurythmics. *watches video*