PDA

View Full Version : January Book Voting!

Azoic
12-19-2003, 04:47 PM
Ok, so the post a poll option allows for up to 10 options on the poll. I count 14 books have been nominated. So I'm just gonna do my best. Sorry if a book is left out. Perhaps someone will have a briliant idea as to how we can get all the nominated books in, but I'm just going to choose 10 of the 14, and hope this works.

Azoic
12-19-2003, 04:56 PM
Ok, so actually, I count 15 books nominated. If we want to have those roll over to next month, the ones I didn't put in are:

Harry Potter (we should wait until the series is complete, IMHO, so we can waste 7 months on these)
Tale of Two Cities (personal bias, YUCK!)
Midnight's Children
100 Years of Loneliness
God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

Like I said, I did my best. I tried to keep all the titles that had been seconded, and sorta guessed from there.

subterranean
12-20-2003, 12:30 AM
Personal request:

PLEASE VOTE for "Picture of Dorian Gray"

:)

IWilKikU
12-20-2003, 11:36 AM
thanx for taking annitiative Az!

IWilKikU
12-20-2003, 11:38 AM
If my book loses can I demand a recount? I will be in Florida for christmas, so its a lagit request :D

Azoic
12-20-2003, 05:25 PM
yes, and I will do the same (if mine losses), but since it is my thread, you probably won't like the results.

fayefaye
12-25-2003, 07:40 AM
Sorry-haven't been following Jan, but, do you mean Jack Kerouac's On the Road? Oh, that HAS TO BE IT. EVERYONE VOTE FOR IT. Even if you don't I'm totally tracking that book down and reading it anyway.

Azoic
12-25-2003, 07:55 PM
Yes, that is Jack Kerouac's book. As good as it sounds, we still need more votes for Picture of Dorian Gray!

IWilKikU
12-25-2003, 08:09 PM
whoa... why so intense? I've never even heard of that book.

Azoic
12-25-2003, 08:21 PM
oh, sorry, I didn't mean to come off as intense. Picture of D.G. is the one book I remember liking in High School.

subterranean
12-28-2003, 03:37 AM
Yeepee, looks like Dorian leads so far. C'mon people vote for Dorian

fayefaye
12-29-2003, 05:37 AM
no! don't do it. Everyone listen to faye.

piquant
12-29-2003, 04:38 PM
On the Road! Please vote for this! It is absolutely excellent, and I'm dying for someone to discuss it with. What sounds more interesting to you--a guy picking up and randomly travelling around the country, meeting the craziest people, including drug addicts and bums, searching for God knows what, inspiring an entire generation of beat poets, and hanging out with Allen Ginsberg; or some guy who doesn't grow old because his portrait does instead?

In favor of my book, I slander dorian Grey! Oscar Wilde is so busy the entire book making up quaint phrases and sayings that I want to kill him by the end--and the story/meaning doesn't even make up for his irksomeness.

As far a the big D., how many time have we talked about him on this forum!? Every other post is about D. Granted, I love him, but lets get some fresh air, something recent, something alive!

Vote for On the Road!

subterranean
12-29-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by piquant

In favor of my book, I slander dorian Grey! Oscar Wilde is so busy the entire book making up quaint phrases and sayings that I want to kill him by the end--and the story/meaning doesn't even make up for his irksomeness.

That is totally subjective and could lead to a misleading image of the book. And it is so un-ethical to speak about the end of the book which is being nominated here :mad:

(IMO)

piquant
12-30-2003, 04:17 PM
I didn't ruin the end! That's what they tell you on the book jacket. In the end, ***** *** ***** *****. Just kidding. Sorry I got viscious. I actually liked Dorian Grey (don't tell anyone), although I want Kerouac so bad!

Oh, what is your name from? It's not from Kerouac's the Subterraneans is it?;)

Koa
12-30-2003, 05:11 PM
I've never read Dorian Gray and I definitely should...
I read On the Road ages ago and it's one of the most boring things I've ever read!!!
But I'd like to discuss Cirme & Punishment...though it's rather long and it would take time to read it if prople are busy... Dorian Gray is rather short, isn't it? (I'm asking because I don't think I can participate if the book is long, cos I'd read instead of studying and I don't study enough already, nevermind if I get involved in a book!)

If I ever finish to read War&Peace...less than 200 pages left and it's seem a desperate enterprise to get to the end...well it'd help if I was reading now instead of being here, wouldn't it?

Koa
12-30-2003, 05:13 PM
Oh wait this is for january not february.... damn, how can I allow myself to read with exams to do??? :( :( :(
(uhm...maybe on the bus not to waste time...)

fayefaye
12-31-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Koa
I read On the Road ages ago and it's one of the most boring things I've ever read!!!
If I ever finish to read War&Peace...less than 200 pages left and it's seem a desperate enterprise to get to the end...well it'd help if I was reading now instead of being here, wouldn't it?

NOOOOO!!! I bought a copy today, don't tell me I wasted my $20!! Arghhh! I go broke so quickly! :( 200 pages left?! Koa, you're beating me!! I feel like I'll NEVER finish it. :( :( (approx 250 left. and today, it took me about ten minutes to get through TWO pages because I kept finding BETTER things to do.. :rolleyes: )

Koa
12-31-2003, 12:35 PM
Well faye, there are moments, like 2 nights ago, when to read 10 pages of W&P it takes me 1 hour...I get distracted after every sentence, it's so slooow! Last night though, I managed to find some interesting, I only stopped cos it was late and I wanted to sleep, the next part seems interesting (I've almost reached page 900!) but today I still haven't touched it...hope I will but it seems unlikely... Oh well... Near to the end

As for On the Road, well ...most people seem to love it but it seemed so useless to me... going here and there and back in this and that way, and talking to this and that. Ok I guess it doesn't seem that bad, but I couldnt find any interest in all that. I wonder how I managed to read it all (just to not remember a single detail about it now)

fayefaye
01-01-2004, 08:58 AM
*whiny voice* koa, I get put off books so easily... I don't even feel like reading it at all now. 190 pages left of W&P-spent all afternoon on that one! [*gasping* so boring!!] stupid public holidays, nothing to do...(most places are closed on public holidays)

Koa
01-01-2004, 02:51 PM
I know the feeling about holidays...
Anyway, don't get influenced by what you hear about books... it's much better to have your own opinion of it, than always say "I've heard it is like that". Especially with such famous books, at least I'm always curious to see why the hell they're so famous...And anyway, since I'm the only one who thought it was useless, I must have missed out on something...

IWilKikU
01-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Today is Jan 1. I guess Dorian Gray has it.

fayefaye
01-02-2004, 05:56 AM
Good. Because On The Road really does SUCK.

subterranean
01-02-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by piquant
I didn't ruin the end! That's what they tell you on the book jacket. In the end, ***** *** ***** *****. Just kidding. Sorry I got viscious. I actually liked Dorian Grey (don't tell anyone), although I want Kerouac so bad!

Oh, what is your name from? It's not from Kerouac's the Subterraneans is it?;)

Well Ok..sorry :o

Nah, Im the other Subterranean :)

So it's Dorian then

*claps*

Isagel
01-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Yes! And this time I´m on holiday so I have time to read.

Koa
01-03-2004, 12:59 PM
:( I'm bloody busy :( I want to read Dorian Gray!!! :(:(:( Well I still can read it another time but this way it'd be more fun :(
January is always an unfair month for students :(

Admin
01-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Dorian wins.