PDA

View Full Version : White Oleander

Ashleigh
10-02-2006, 05:45 PM
"Lovers who kill each other now will blame it on the wind."
(chapter one- paragraph two-line1-2)

can anyone analyze this quote for me or help me with it?

i am in the midst of doing a writer's craft project and have run into some problems with this exerpt.

as soona s possible would be appreciated.

thank you muchly.

optimisticnad
10-02-2006, 05:48 PM
we dont like to admit that wev hurt the ones we love and love us?

as they say, anything written in the wind is blown away-so its forgotten quickly? just a lovers tiff.???

sorry. im no use today. il get back to you,
and welcome!

Ciao
10-13-2006, 02:30 AM
Have to firstly say I LOVE that book, and I hope this isn't too late to help you out.
But I would think it has to do with the idea that the wind is something uncontrollable and even unpredictable.
That those who release in passion will find a way to justify their actions or lack their of, with the wind's passing influence.....

maybe : )

Josh22
02-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Interesting quote!
"Lovers who kill each other now will blame it on the wind."

I believe the quote points to the tenuous nature of love and its emphasis upon circumstance (a fleeting moment) rather than the consequence of individual actions. The quote is pivotal in re-defining the structure of social relationships in a world, where adultry and polygamous relationships are increasingly common.

Redzeppelin
02-05-2007, 04:46 PM
I think you need to examine the quotation in context - in other words, I believe the novel opens with fires and wind - so the word "wind" gains meaning within the context of the novel. What is wind "responsible" for in the early pages of the novel? Answer that, and you've unravelled the quotation.

Bastet
02-06-2007, 12:22 PM
some people believe that the wind can affect people's emotions and actions. Actually, there's a little town in the south of Spain where there're strong winds, and people say that there are many insane people over there because of that. That might be the meaning of that sentence, especially if you take it in context, because she is talking about the wind in its literal sense