PDA

View Full Version : Greek Philosophy, Were They Right?

iwnttoknowall
09-23-2006, 02:55 PM
The Ancient Greeks believed in Predestination, my question is, were the right?
Another question, were the Greeks just trying to come up with an explaination for every little abnormality?

Kurtz
09-24-2006, 12:34 PM
I don't think that this question is easy to answer. The first question can not be falsefied or measured, so it can not be answered in terms of right or wrong.

As does every culture, the greeks surely tried to explain society to the best of their ability. I think this question is answered better in a cultural way and I think if you do any research you can begin to pick out answers that pertain to your questions. I really think that not so much seperates us from the ancients. We still have the same human needs, insecurities,passions, love of knowledge, and need to explain the "big" questions. I don't think the Greeks were doing anything that is not still being done today.

jon1jt
09-24-2006, 12:59 PM
I don't think that this question is easy to answer. The first question can not be falsefied or measured, so it can not be answered in terms of right or wrong.

As does every culture, the greeks surely tried to explain society to the best of their ability. I think this question is answered better in a cultural way and I think if you do any research you can begin to pick out answers that pertain to your questions. I really think that not so much seperates us from the ancients. We still have the same human needs, insecurities,passions, love of knowledge, and need to explain the "big" questions. I don't think the Greeks were doing anything that is not still being done today.

The Ancient Greeks "believed" in the idea of community as an enrichment of the self in the same way industrialized nations "believe" in the stock market as an accurate measure of one's wealth. That sort of sense of community -at least in the United States - is far gone. The shift from 'the gods' to the idolotry of secular gods is apparent.

k-k-k-kellywah
10-16-2006, 06:49 AM
Platos rebublic? the perfect society? hehem, ive read alot, greek phylosophers left alot unexplained, too much can be questioned in their explainations of society and even God