PDA

View Full Version : motivation

myk
09-22-2006, 01:32 AM
why is it that some people find it easy to motivate themselves into doing certain things whilst others 'just can't be stuffed'?
is it because some people were 'destined' to do things or otherwise?

and most importantly... is there a cure?

Kurtz
09-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Because some people are weak and make excuses about why they can't do certain things. Personally, I don't beleive in things like destiny, that term sounds a lot like an argument used by a weak person who hopes to do things but is never motivated because, you know, it's just not in his destiny.

Sure there is a cure( or potential for a cure, in many cases this is up to the person), but it is different for every person and can only be prescribed personally.

subterranean
09-22-2006, 04:21 PM
why is it that some people find it easy to motivate themselves into doing certain things whilst others 'just can't be stuffed'?
is it because some people were 'destined' to do things or otherwise?

and most importantly... is there a cure?

The word "destined" doesn't really fit me. It's probably the sense of urgency or importance to the related person that really matters. I mean, simple example, you probably won't be motivated to get straight As if what you need is only that piece of paper of graduate certificate. On the other hand, since you're a travel enthusiast, you prefer to spend most of your time working and making money as much as possible, to pay for your next travel destination.

Regit
09-22-2006, 09:58 PM
Ah, what a great place to mention Hamlet again. The answer depends on what the "certain things" that you mentioned are. There can be many reasons for the delay of action, be it "enterprises of great pith and moment" or merely doing one's homework. It really depends on what you are trying to achieve. Not every plan fails because of laziness. In most common cases, I would accept a refined version of the "weak" argument above. But if someone argues that Hamlet could not carry out his plans only because he was weak and was making excuses, then I would, of course, contest that view.

If you're talking about a regular task, then I can think of a cure, sure: stop talking about it and go do it. (I'm not patronising, btw. I'm just saying that that's something that's worked for me). And if someone has already been trying and losing motivation, it may be because he is unorganised. I would recommend a summer course on "goal setting" and "project management", they really could help. :) If this is a problem that you're facing, I can assure you, you're not the only one. Even the people who seem to carry out tasks with ease, they actually tried very hard to get there, and are trying hard constantly to maintain it. They do go through difficult times with motivation.

But if you're talking about a deeper struggle, perhaps of a person to find his goal in life or to understand things he can't yet fathom, then he should ignore people saying that he is weak and keep on fighting; they know nothing, the "tedious old fools". In any case, there's no point blaming yourself. Just get the job done eventually, even with great difficulty.

"The wait for inspiration is eternal; great things are built upon uninspired labour." - NB

blazeofglory
05-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Everyone is different and not that some people are gifted and others are not. All are equally gifted and the very birth is the gift.

Everyone grows in a different environment and some plants or vegetables grow in one season and another in another.

Everyone has the potential to grow but all are responsive to different stiumli.