PDA

View Full Version : To Be or Not To Be, what a dumb question.

iwnttoknowall
09-21-2006, 07:46 PM
How did we become what we are, were we once apes and we just got hit over the head?? did that stimulate some kind of brain cells?? are we pawns on a chess board of some master God?? u people tell me.

Verbatim
09-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Nobody will respect your opinion if you keep talking like that. :D

AimusSage
09-22-2006, 03:47 AM
We can tell you something, but you'll get just as many different replies as there people.

And to be or not to be is not such a dumb question really, it's something people strugle with everyday.

optimisticnad
09-22-2006, 07:23 AM
Nobody will respect your opinion if you keep talking like that. :D

hear hear!

you really have started badly havent you? wer normally a friendly nice bunch...:)

AimusSage
09-22-2006, 07:30 AM
hear hear!

you really have started badly havent you? wer normally a friendly nice bunch...:)
And we should continue to be friendly. He may have gotten of to a bad start, but that doesn't mean we have to be so harsh against him. Let him find his bearings. A little fun is okay, but downright being mean is not. So let the guy, or girl ask the questions he wishes to ask. :)

optimisticnad
09-22-2006, 07:33 AM
mmm...your right. ok. il try and keep my mouth shout (il need the energy for later, dont you agree?)

subterranean
09-22-2006, 02:09 PM
How did we become what we are, were we once apes and we just got hit over the head?? did that stimulate some kind of brain cells?? are we pawns on a chess board of some master God?? u people tell me.

How do you define "what we are"?

bazarov
09-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Now we are super-apes!

iwnttoknowall
09-22-2006, 06:52 PM
lol, super apes, no, probably not neways. ya i just started, and im a guy, for da record. lol surprise surprise im 13. that was my first thread starter, and i admit, it looks and sounds dumb, i agree with Vebatim on some cases (he posts alot) andi agree on this one. respectabillity stars with credibility...

Regit
09-22-2006, 09:07 PM
I think respectability also comes with the ability to spell.

ShoutGrace
09-22-2006, 09:11 PM
You only say that because you have that ability, Regit. :D

subterranean
09-22-2006, 10:31 PM
I think respectability also comes with the ability to spell.

But not brain :rolleyes:

lol, super apes, no, probably not neways. ya i just started, and im a guy, for da record. lol surprise surprise im 13. that was my first thread starter, and i admit, it looks and sounds dumb, i agree with Vebatim on some cases (he posts alot) andi agree on this one. respectabillity stars with credibility...

It doesn't sounds dumb at all. You have pointed some of the basic principles of human existance.

Regit
09-23-2006, 01:20 AM
But not brain :rolleyes:.

Rushed you to its defence, to whose criticism you think that I had rushed. Oh well, I said "also", thus meaning it is not the only thing required. Perhaps in your own requirement, you came up short for respectability.

It doesn't sounds dumb at all. You have pointed some of the basic principles of human existence.

I don't know, but to declare that one of the most profound questions in all of literature is dumb is already dumb, and then to go on and propose the possibility of human brain-cells being created by a bash on the heads of apes as the central image of the question of human existence seems pretty dumb to me as well. At least it was acknowledged light-heartedly, unlike its defence.

subterranean
09-23-2006, 02:51 AM
Rushed you to its defence, to whose criticism you think that I had rushed. Oh well, I said "also", thus meaning it is not the only thing required. Perhaps in your own requirement, you came up short for respectability.

So, should I respect the other person less because his/her imperfect spelling?

I don't know, but to declare that one of the most profound questions in all of literature is dumb is already dumb, and then to go on and propose the possibility of human brain-cells being created by a bash on the heads of apes as the central image of the question of human existence seems pretty dumb to me as well. At least it was acknowledged light-heartedly, unlike its defence.

Does not this below question sound like one of the basic principle questions of human existance to you?

are we pawns on a chess board of some master God?

I probably have used a harsh statement previously. I do apologize for that, but my point stands!

Regit
09-23-2006, 08:31 AM
So, should I respect the other person less because his/her imperfect spelling?
No, no. You can do whatever you want. I was practising my right to opinion, not the power to force it upon anyone.
"Imperfect spelling" is very different from the level of spelling that I am addressing. It seems the lack is not most in ability but in capacity; and the disregard for the integrity of language is apparent. Making indeliberate typing errors is different from not giving a ****, agreed?

Does not this below question sound like one of the basic principle questions of human existance to you?
Well, if it does, then it is an idiotic version of it. If it is a question about divine origin, let it be about religious doctrines and ideologies. If it is about chess, let it be about chess. And if it is a question of the clueless in search of education, let it be asked in humbleness. In any case, I don't see how that question explains why he thinks "to be, or not to be" is a dumb question. But, as said above, it has already been light-heartedly accepted; and for that I have some respect. You are defending a point that's already been conceded.

subterranean
09-23-2006, 09:16 AM
No, no. You can do whatever you want. I was practising my right to opinion, not the power to force it upon anyone.
"Imperfect spelling" is very different from the level of spelling that I am addressing. It seems the lack is not most in ability but in capacity; and the disregard for the integrity of language is apparent. Making indeliberate typing errors is different from not giving a ****, agreed?

What is the level of spelling you were referring to? What spelling capacity? And I probably miss something here, but can you please tell me again how respect correlates with the ability to spell? The better you spell the more respectable you are, is it how they correlate?

And by the way, did you see the bold word in your post? Well, you made a spelling mistake there. I think the correct word is practicing. I just emphasized it to let you know :)

Well, if it does, then it is an idiotic version of it. If it is a question about divine origin, let it be about religious doctrines and ideologies. If it is about chess, let it be about chess. And if it is a question of the clueless in search of education, let it be asked in humbleness. In any case, I don't see how that question explains why he thinks "to be, or not to be" is a dumb question. But, as said above, it has already been light-heartedly accepted; and for that I have some respect. You are defending a point that's already been conceded.

Which part of the post relate to the question of divine origin? Everything there is about 'we', I think. But then, I might be wrong.

Nightshade
09-23-2006, 11:26 AM
ahemm going to stick in are you saying because I cannont spell because i have a 'condition' that handicapps me in that particular area that I am not worthy of respect?
That Einstine wasnt or Edison or while we are at Churchill, and Da vinci just for starters??

As for the original statement /question I think iwnt that its neither, but maybe both. if we did evolve from monkeys was it an accidnent or was it Fate.
Anyway what has that to do with to be or not to be? youve lost me there. I always thought to be or not to be related to the should I live on or just kill my self and get it over with?

iwnttoknowall
09-23-2006, 11:58 AM
i did not mean, to be or not to be, as in shakespear. i should refraze that, excuse my SPELLING. ARE WE, OR ARE WE NOT? not really in retrospect to devine origin, but what or why we were created, or "grew up." and im 13, so leave my spelling and gramma outta it, i Yahoo! so i take shourtcuts.

RobinHood3000
09-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Taking English shortcuts on a forum that studies literature? This is not a recipe for building a strong reputation. Plenty of us here Yahoo!, AIM, MSN, etc., but still take the time to express our ideas coherently. Still, so long as you don't write your Lit papers that way, we can't really tell you how you wanna say things.

Let me get this straight: your question is about how humans came to be?

iwnttoknowall
09-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Ya, i don do it in English, in fact, im still trying to get out of the habit. You know, im not even sure wat the question is nemore...

Regit
09-23-2006, 03:01 PM
And I probably miss something here, but can you please tell me again how respect correlates with the ability to spell?
You misunderstood me. I said, simply, that it was my opinion, that I happen to have more respect for people who have higher regards for the integrity of language, e.g. spelling. Ok?
The level of spelling that I refered to? Here it is:
i Yahoo! so i take shourtcuts. That was what I lack respect for.

Which part of the post relate to the question of divine origin? Everything there is about 'we', I think. But then, I might be wrong.
I talked about divine origin because of the mention of God in the question. By the way, divine origin IS about "we", as in the divine origin of man.

And by the way, did you see the bold word in your post? Well, you made a spelling mistake there. I think the correct word is practicing. I just emphasized it to let you know :)
No, I didn't. 'Practice' is only a verb in American spelling.

Regit
09-23-2006, 03:16 PM
ahemm going to stick in are you saying because I cannont spell because i have a 'condition' that handicapps me in that particular area that I am not worthy of respect?
That Einstine wasnt or Edison or while we are at Churchill, and Da vinci just for starters??
Oh no, what will I do? Now I have to seek help from my professors to counter this compelling argument and its cunning use of spelling errors!

Look, if you deliberately misintepret what I say, you're just arguing with yourself. Are you saying that "Einstine, Edison, Churchill, or Da vinci" didn't "give a ****" about using language correctly? No? Then you need to read my posts again.

RobinHood3000
09-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Come on, Regit -- be nice.

Nightshade
09-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Oh no, what will I do? Now I have to seek help from my professors to counter this compelling argument and its cunning use of spelling errors!

Look, if you deliberately misintepret what I say, you're just arguing with yourself. Are you saying that "Einstine, Edison, Churchill, or Da vinci" didn't "give a ****" about using language correctly? No? Then you need to read my posts again.

Excuse me my cunning use of spelling errors? any spelling errors i have in my text are not cunning because that hints at premeditation or even knowing they are there when the fact is I am incapable of preciving a spelling mistake. No nor am I saying that I or any of those people dont give a hoot about correct spelling what i said if youd pay attention was am I unworthy of respect beacsue of my disability? and if so are all these other people who also suffered from the same condition unworthy of repect too despite everything they did just becasue of their spelling?

What I was objecting to was the use of the word ability. I pretty sure you are missusing it if you mean willingness to attempt to spell correctly rather than the physical ability to spell correctly. To judge someone by an ability is in my opinion a narrow minded bigoted thing to do but Im sure that is not what you meant is it? You werent judging peoples use of english and missusing a word in the prosess were you ?:D

Regit
09-23-2006, 07:40 PM
You werent judging peoples use of english and missusing a word in the prosess were you ?:D
Not at all. The word "ability" was first used loosely in a sarcastic comment with the aim to ridicule and it served its purpose perfectly. Though, in this regard it was hard to intepret. Yet it was promptly explained further, when questioned, in the next posts. Perhaps you should have relied on that explanation.
And perhaps you would agree that not having the willingness to do something does decidedly contribute to the demise of the ability to do it. The inability to spell can be caused by disability, but it can also be caused by the lack of respect for correct spelling, which was what I was getting at. Notice the comment on "indeliberate errors". E.g. I do not have the ability to run 10 miles none-stop, but it is not due to any handicap and only my lack of training (which, of course, is because I have no interest in having that ability).

Ability. noun. 1 the power or capacity to do something. 2 skill or talent. (Oxford dict.)

It was not misused, just misunderstood for the brevity of my original purpose for it. But you are right, none the less, that I only meant to criticise the careless manner in which the specific posts were presented and not Einstein, Edison, Churchill or Leonardo Da Vinci. :)

Nossa
09-24-2006, 02:40 AM
Okay...you all lost me somewhere..
First, we're having a dicsussion about "To be or no to be" along with questions about our exsistance...
Later...we're having yet another discussion about spelling mistakes?!

Anyways..about the first topic...Dunnow, but as mentioned before "To be or not to be" wasn't exaclty written by Shakespeare to argue about human's exsistance, but to argue about a certain problem the hero of the play faced..which in fact does apply to all human beings in terms of deciding what they'll do in thier lives, by which mean and all...
Or at least that's what I think...so from my own point of view...I think you misused the sentence, not to mention writing your questions in a somewhat disrespectful way..which you obviously apologised for previously..

About the spelling problems...from what I read...I saw that some of you think that not being able to write in a correct spelling, makes the person not respected...Well, not talking about Einstein or Dan vinci..what does make the person respected?! I find it pretty hard to accept the fact that people would determine whether to respect someone or not accodring to thier spelling abilities!
Yes respecting any language is shown in how much you care for your spelling and grammar and all...but making a mistake while writing shouldn't also mean that you don't respect or like or better say KNOW the language..
It'd be SO unfair to judge anyone like that...
But again..that's just my point of view!

01Kathleen
09-24-2006, 04:08 AM
Not to worry...what others think. It's the way of the world.

Regit
09-24-2006, 10:30 PM
from what I read...I saw that What did you read?

I find it pretty hard to accept the fact that people would determine whether to respect someone or not accodring to thier spelling abilities!
What "people" are you talking about? Me?

I believe what I said was "I think respectibility also comes with the ability to spell." (A statement that has been explained in followed posts.)
NOTICE: ALSO (this, I have reminded to the readers once).
In case you've just started studying English, the significance of "also" is that it indicates this meaning: respectability can ALSO come from other sources too, such as : being able to recognise one's own mistake, which I had acknowledged of the author (this I have also made mention of once). Thus, I do not "determine" whether or not to respect someone base on their spelling ability; because, as already explained, I simply meant that the author of the relevant posts lost some respect (from me) for the attitude towards spelling that was presented (and this I have ALSO JUST mentioned).

So before you claim to have read this thread, read it first (I mean, read-it read it). And if you still decide to come back with more accusations, give some evidence; I'll be happy to disprove them.

Nightshade
09-25-2006, 12:03 AM
Enough already!
Regit has explained the statement and although I dont completly agree with the way he expressed it he does have a point in that it is just common good manners ( not even going to try and spell the word I really want :rolleyes: ) to write in a way that we can all understand and that 'short cut'/ text speech isnt and leads to the basterdisation of the english languge etc etc so on and so forth ( im sure weve had this same rant at least twice before) can we either get back to the topic or just stop posting?
But for the sake ( sp? that doesnt look right :confused: ) of makin myself more understandable in the philosphy /religios/ serious forums If someone can find me an English ( british queens english) English spell checker Ill promise to try and remememeber to use it.
:D

Scheherazade
09-25-2006, 11:40 AM
There are many people who cannot spell, like Night stated above (eg sufferers of dyslexia); not out of choice but simply because they cannot (they lack the 'ability'). And I would like to believe that many of us on this Forum have the maturity to show understanding towards those who suffer from similar conditions.

Since this thread has been off-topic long enough, I will close it now. If iwnttoknowall or anyone else would like to start another thread on the concept of 'to be or not to be' (or spelling), please feel free to do so.