PDA

View Full Version : Woody Allen, a philosopher?

byquist
09-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Last night on t.v. saw an 25-30 yr. old interview of Woody Allen on Dick Cavet show. Allen has been described at diff. times in his life from many angles, out of both admiration and disrepute. Anybody categorize him as worthy of significant philosophical status?

Virgil
09-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Look he's a great movie director, but what makes him a philosopher? I can't imagine him as a philosopher.

ShoutGrace
09-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Anybody categorize him as worthy of significant philosophical status?

“His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy.” - Woody Allen

“How is it possible to find meaning in a finite world, given my waist and shirt size?” - Woody Allen

C'mon, he is a top notch philosopher!

subterranean
09-15-2006, 11:09 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=philosopher
philosopher
1. a person who offers views or theories on profound questions in ethics, metaphysics, logic, and other related fields.
2. a person who is deeply versed in philosophy.
3. a person who establishes the central ideas of some movement, cult, etc.
4. a person who regulates his or her life, actions, judgments, utterances, etc., by the light of philosophy or reason.
5. a person who is rationally or sensibly calm, esp. under trying circumstances.
6. Obsolete. an alchemist or occult scientist

Ok, Woody did some movies, wrote some books/articles/plays/scripts, have a number of interesting quotes....
But doesn't it require more/bigger things for a person to carry such title as a philosopher...(IMHO)

On a second thought, perhaps every one is a philosopher in his/her own way, with his/her own philosophy????

Virgil
09-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Ok, Woody did some movies, wrote some books/articles/plays/scripts, have a number of interesting quotes....
But doesn't it require more/bigger things for a person to carry such title as a philosopher...(IMHO)

On a second thought, perhaps every one is a philosopher in his/her own way, with his/her own philosophy????

philosopher
1. a person who offers views or theories on profound questions in ethics, metaphysics, logic, and other related fields.
2. a person who is deeply versed in philosophy.
3. a person who establishes the central ideas of some movement, cult, etc.
4. a person who regulates his or her life, actions, judgments, utterances, etc., by the light of philosophy or reason.
5. a person who is rationally or sensibly calm, esp. under trying circumstances.
6. Obsolete. an alchemist or occult scientist

Sub - That definition is so broad I, you, and even you caffeinated cat can be considered a philosopher. :lol:

subterranean
09-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Sub - That definition is so broad I, you, and even you caffeinated cat can be considered a philosopher. :lol:

That was my intention, Virg. To have the title and be called as a "philosopher" sound like a very kewl idea :D :D

AllisonForbes
09-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Woody Allen is a very intelligent man. He has always been fascinated by philosophy and it came out quite a bit in his writings. Whether he should have the title of philosopher is debateable, but I would say his writings often leaned towards philosophic inquiry. Even being as humorous as they were.

cuppajoe_9
09-17-2006, 11:56 PM
"Not only is there no god, but try finding a plumber on the weekends"