PDA

View Full Version : Time- something that is there without existing

simona
09-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Can Time exist without Space and can Space exist without Time?
What do you think? What is the hardest, to visit the past or the future?
And one more questione. What is the Present?

Kurtz
09-12-2006, 06:48 PM
The "popular consensus" as regards to time travel seems to lean towards the idea that time travel into the past is impossible simply because you can't travel back to a time before the time machine itself was invented( If of course the method you are using is a time travel machine). Theoretically the methods of curved space time, traveling faster than the speed of light, wormholes, cosmic strings, etc... seem to make travel to the past possible in theory. I don't know if this applies to other theoretical forms of time travel. Another interesting idea about travel to the past is that it is not possible because the past is considered "anti-time" and is not a part of the space time continuum. I would suggest looking into several different areas of time travel. Time dilation is one method that is allowed for in Einstein's theory of "special relativity (the idea that time passes slower for fasting moving bodies (the Twin Paradox). Also, I think if you look at the idea of "small travel" is seems to be possible that if we were able to move at "faster" speeds (like that of light) we can indeed travel in time (it is true that astronauts achieve a slight form of time travel (less than a second) when shooting into space.

Your question about time existing without space and vice versa is interesting! For an interesting read I suggest checking into the philosophy of “presentism” and “eternalism”.

One other point to consider is found in Kant's “Critique of Pure Reason”. In the latter Kant concludes that time and space are not objects that can be observed, but instead, they are methods of perceiving objects as they exist in intuition and cognition. He gets into the idea of “the thing in itself” which states that an object may exist outside of observation but can never be known as it is in itself, because once it is observed cognitively it is pre-structured by the activity of our a priori minds.

holograph
09-12-2006, 07:46 PM
how does time travel work? i cant quite grasp the idea. if you theoretically travel back in time, would you see yourself in the flash from the past, or would you no longer exist? i understand the logic of forward time travel, but not the former. hmm. queer.

Kurtz
09-12-2006, 08:01 PM
As I stated above, there are many different ways in which time travel can be possible. The easiest to explain is the method of "time dilation". I would suggest looking time travel up on sites like "How stuff works" and wikipedia. I think you will get a more lucid explanation from sites that deal with the idea as a whole rather than a quick synopsis from me. Good luck.

Also, note that there are several different paradoxes that come about that deal directly with your last question (The Grandfather Paradox).

cuppajoe_9
09-16-2006, 08:17 PM
Time cannot exist without space for the same reason that you don't weigh anything in a freefall (yeah, it's a bit abstract, stick with me for a bit). Time is always measured by watching somthing move. If there was no space, there would be nothing to move in order to measure the progress of time. If someting entered the no-space and began to move then time would begin to exist. (Understand? Good, explain it to me.) Similarly, if somebody were to put a bathroom scale under you while you were in a freefall it would report that you do not weight anything. However, it would be obvious that this is not true as soon as you hit the ground.

Verbatim
09-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Time is time. it is the huge coffee cup that everything is floating around in, its the colosses that is poised with its immense weight above you, just waiting for a chance to come crashing down upon your head.

holograph
09-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Time doesn't exist. Time is an idea that we created in order to be able to put things into perspective. It is not a dimension. We can, for example, see the effects of "time" but never time itself. And if there is a living past and future, time is really nothing afterall. Time travel, well, I still don't know about that. I read the theretical physics behind it but I think time travel and parallel universes, past and future lives are all intertwined together. heh. We will never understand the universe. And thank god for that, else we would all go mad. Even moreso than we are already. :)

iwnttoknowall
09-21-2006, 10:55 PM
not bad. but time is a deminsion, discovered by ourselves. it does warp in between, that i believe is wat a phycic sees. i dont think time travel is possible, we are all figments of a firm planted universe. time travel would probably kill us all. heck, for all we know, a mad scientist is zooming around right now in the future, maybe even altering each of us personaly. there could be two of each of us, like in some crazy sci-fi movie, and the futuristic 1 is warping us around to change our future, either for the better or the worst.

holograph
09-21-2006, 11:58 PM
eh, i dont even think we exist.

Heh. How would we ever know we were dreaming if we did not wake up the next morning? Same with this reality. This may well be a dream.

simona
09-22-2006, 11:12 AM
I think holograph is right. This may be a dream, a dream of our spirit. Every life we have, or every nuance of our existence may be just a part of what we are, a way we learn something new.
Everyone is talking about time in a scientific way, reffering to what some author said. I asked your opinion, not the opinion of a death outhor.
Perhaps you are right and time doesn't exist, or pehaps we are time. We can stop the time or we can make it flow faster.

Kurtz
09-22-2006, 04:20 PM
I think holograph is right. This may be a dream, a dream of our spirit. Every life we have, or every nuance of our existence may be just a part of what we are, a way we learn something new.
Everyone is talking about time in a scientific way, reffering to what some author said. I asked your opinion, not the opinion of a death outhor.
Perhaps you are right and time doesn't exist, or pehaps we are time. We can stop the time or we can make it flow faster.

I see my above answers were a wasted attempt. The reason I pointed you towards the sources I did, was because that is the thoughts of some of the finest intellectuals to ever think about such a vague topic. I don’t know about you, but I am more interested in what true professionals (like Einstein, Hawking, Kaku, etc..) ponder than the answer some person gives in a literature forum based upon personal thoughts and unscientific answers. I see no need in asking such deep questions if you are not willing to look at the deep answers.

iwnttoknowall
09-22-2006, 06:47 PM
lol wow, wouldnt it be weird if this is really a dream? we really would just be a figment of something bigger. But i doubt it.
Does ne1 know wat it is like to look down on an ant farm? the ants dont know ur there (or so it seems). We could be that antfarm. God could just be some mad scientist or a middle school kid who created life. But the same as ants know were above, maybe we think of god above because above us, there IS somethig bigger

holograph
09-22-2006, 10:25 PM
...and God is probably looking down and saying "Damn, they're stupid." :)

PierreGringoire
09-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Isn't it unnatural to ask these questions? Shouldn't we live for life's sake? Who was the jackass who looked at the glass half empty first? Adam? And started a trend of discontedness? Other animals have so much more than us. They have a sound mind. They eat and they don't think of the absurdities that we do. But who invented asprin? We or the animals?

PierreGringoire
09-22-2006, 11:20 PM
If time travel is possible so is telekinesis. I believe telekenisis is even more reasonable than time travel. If I was able to move things with my mind, I wouldn't ask anything anymore, I'd just wonder with my imagination. Because reasoning is stupid. Do we come to learn math through reason? Or is it just evaluation? Can we place a digit on an object? Is an object "one thing" simply because we assume? Or is it a combination of a billiongillion little things? So many that when we keep breaking EVERYTHING in the world down to its basic unit, the basic unit would be singular. So there would no longer be need for numbers more than 1. And that singular unit is the one which we can manipulate if we are able to know it's behavior. Is it energy? Everyone try to move something with your mind. When you are able to, tell us how you did it. So that everyone in this thread will have telekinetic powers. I think that's a worthy gift to share with the world.Hippies are banned from this experiment And so are crazy people. They're unreliable... That means it leaves this campaign up to me alone i guess:D , I better be getting along with it, you guys are too unworthy. Sorry, to be the one to tell you, but my Father programmed every one of you. He sent me here because he made this world for me. It was my birthday. Eh, prove me wrong. ahahaha..ha..ah..haha.