PDA

View Full Version : is it wrong to...

Verbatim
09-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Condemn a man to death, even when he did the same to another?

Take the "Eye for an eye" principle and turn it to a doctraine?

kill someone who isnt born?

Overthrow a government, when people are relying on it for sustanince?

Make a book/essay/forum post/ movie that portrays another type of thinking as the antagonist?

Grade a childs homework, when you can see that their clearly trying, badly?

muse about the nautre of mankind on the internet?

ShoutGrace
09-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Ah, perhaps you've asked too many questions for one thread. :D

is it wrong to . . . muse about the nautre of mankind on the internet?

Well, probably not, as long as it's done in an organized fashion. ;)

subterranean
09-11-2006, 08:42 PM
is it wrong to...

We may do things spontaneously and without a specific reason. But there is a consequence for everything. Thus, I personally think that when we plan to do or say something, we probably want to think first the result of our action, how it is going to impact us, others and the environment.

PierreGringoire
09-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Those questions aren't fair:alien: :bawling:

subterranean
09-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Those questions aren't fair:alien: :bawling:

Itís just a matter of how you perceive them, Pierre

aeroport
09-12-2006, 12:11 AM
Indeed, Verbatim, I wonder if the more appropriate question mightn't be "why would one..." rather than "is it wrong to...". Your question invites heated argument, but, should this occur, everyone will probably grow so sick of it that it will reach the point where everything is acknowledged as "right or wrong" according to specified moral and ethical standards, which have not yet been established here.

Verbatim
09-12-2006, 10:06 PM
good show Jamesin, you caught on to my psycological game. if we automatically percieve things as "right and wrong" we will never advance as a culture.

i like to hide ulteriom motives in my posts, take everything i say out of context :alien:

subterranean
09-13-2006, 12:01 AM
good show Jamesin, you caught on to my psycological game. if we automatically percieve things as "right and wrong" we will never advance as a culture.

...As a culture?

AllisonForbes
09-18-2006, 09:28 AM
There are some actions that are necessary for teaching and some actions that we define as right or wrong due to self-preservation as a culture. The questions that you pose are of different natures. You cannot logically compare grading a child's homework with murdering a human being. Those actions are of varying degrees and for different reasons.

Grading a child's homework regardless of whether they are trying or not may be the lesson needed to teach a child how to learn more effectively. How does one know if one has mastered the discipline unless you know where you fall short? We can only judge our progress by looking at the whole and how far we are to that whole.

Killing someone because they killed someone else cannot be logically compared to the homework issue. One is the taking of life, and if the society deems it as such, an act of justice.

'If we automatically perceive things as right or wrong, we will never advance as a culture." History proves otherwise. We have advanced as a culture, society, people. It depends on your definition of advance. We have a definition of right and wrong in our society today, and we are considered to live in one of the most advanced eras to exist.

It is not the perception of right or wrong that causes the advancement. Indeed, right and wrong frees us to concentrate on advancement. If there is no right or wrong, there is no reason to modify one's behavior or to act altruistically. The advancement comes from seeking better ways to manage human behavior, to understand it, to understand our physical realm and possibly other realms. Advancement is closely tied to meaning of life. What does it mean for humans to have life, to exist with one another and to better ourselves as a society.

PeterL
09-18-2006, 07:04 PM
is it wrong to...

No. It is not wrong to make decisions, moral or otherwise judgemental.

aeroport
09-19-2006, 12:00 AM
No. It is not wrong to make decisions, moral or otherwise judgemental.

:lol: ....................

blazeofglory
05-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Condemn a man to death, even when he did the same to another?

Take the "Eye for an eye" principle and turn it to a doctraine?

kill someone who isnt born?

Overthrow a government, when people are relying on it for sustanince?

Make a book/essay/forum post/ movie that portrays another type of thinking as the antagonist?

Grade a childs homework, when you can see that their clearly trying, badly?

muse about the nautre of mankind on the internet?

There is a sarcasm therein. I like this questioning.