PDA

View Full Version : Introduction-S.Letter

skf
09-10-2006, 09:51 PM
I've just finished reading Introduction and have completed my assignment except for one on the questions-can anyone help? Death Images in the Introduction - the appearance of the Faust Legend. Where is it in the
intro. that it talks about the Faust Legend?

mono
09-11-2006, 12:41 PM
I've just finished reading Introduction and have completed my assignment except for one on the questions-can anyone help? Death Images in the Introduction - the appearance of the Faust Legend. Where is it in the
intro. that it talks about the Faust Legend?
Hmmm, that seems like quite a tough question, and I can hardly think of anything, but I suppose I could make a guess.
I would only presuppose the allusion to Faust relies on the anonymous narrator who discovers the manuscripts and scarlet letter - the curiosity, the prying into history, and one who seems, as he describes, misunderstood by the rest of the public life. This seems my only guess, and I apologize I could not help more.
Good luck! :)

Jsokol
11-17-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm sure that this is too late for you, but this is the reference to Faust and selling one's soul to the devil (or in this case Uncle Sam).

"Uncle Sam's gold--meaning no disrespect to the worthy old gentleman--has, in this respect, a quality of enchantment like that of the devil's wages. Whoever touches it should look well to himself, or he may find the bargain to go hard against him, involving, if not his soul, yet many of its better attributes; its sturdy force, its courage and constancy, its truth, its self-reliance, and all that gives the emphasis to manly character."