PDA

View Full Version : Fav Shakespeare play?

Admin
01-17-2002, 06:16 PM
Personally I like Julius Caesar a whole lot.

GaiusMariusJifus
My favourite play and character is Richard III. I think he is the most genuine, satanic, adorable, cunning villian that has ever been concieved! I mean the guy kills his family and starts a civil war simply because he can't flirt and is bored of peace! How much more evil can you get?!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GaiusMariusJifus on 2001-09-10 10:59 ]</font>

gmhill
To be honest, the only one of his plays I've read was &quot;A Midsummer Night's Dream&quot; although I have seen the movie &quot;Romio and Juliet&quot;, I'm not going to read it on my own accord, as I know I will be doing it in school in future years.

Your's Sincerely,
GlennKnows

MortalFool
A Midsummer's Night Dream is my fave, but I also love Merchant of Venice.

Amy_Louise
I love Twelfth Night. It was taught to me by an excellent teacher and I believe that it is now one of the most well-written pieces I have ever read.

MortalFool
Twelfth Night was really good too. I guess I don't really have a favorite, I like so many of them!

Peer Gynt
It's a toss-up between The Tempest and Hamlet.

JBanks
It's a toss-up for me and it is between
Julius Caesar, Romeo &amp; Juliet, Othello, and MacBeth

SirStefan32
It's hard to single one play out, they are all great, but the one that touched me more than anything else is Macbeth.

Athena
Definitely Othello. Iago makes it all worthwhile. :)

-Although King Lear had it's moments. For anyone who enjoyed King Lear, also check out :

A thousand Acres by Jane Smiley.

Eric, son of Chuck
06-03-2002, 12:05 AM
Call me weird, but Henry V. His speech just before the battle of Agincourt, well, I don't really know what to say. Just, wow.

Vronaqueen
09-10-2002, 06:00 PM
Definently Titus Andronicus. Sure, it's bloody, and gruesome, and down right disgusting at times, but it shows so much more depth of feeling in the characters than most of the plays in my opinion, especially when set in a royal-take-over setting. It's a twinge of Ceasar, a pinch of Macbeth, and the treachery of Hamlet all rolled into one.

Otherwise Midsummer Night's Dream runs a close second only because it's so gosh darn funny! :D

Eric, son of Chuck
09-10-2002, 08:16 PM
Ooh, that's a couple of good points there... Titus IS very good. Ever seen the movie, with Anthony Hopkins? Excellent interpretation, in my opinion. And who doesn't love Bottom? One of my best friends played him recently, it's all I can do to keep myself from laughing openly whenever someone even mentions Midsummer. -)

Vronaqueen
09-11-2002, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I have seen the movie, and Julie Taymor did an excellent job a bringing him to life, using the symbolism literally was great. Anthony Hopkins is the only actor who could ever play Titus.

Morgan
09-14-2002, 12:08 PM
I personally like Shakespeare's tragedies the best...And my favourite one is without a doubt Hamlet, followed shortly by Othello...

robyleigh
11-03-2002, 10:47 PM
i would prefer shakespeare's comedies especialy "much ado about nothing"&amp;"twlve night",and "a midnight's dream" as well.

dearie
11-10-2002, 11:18 AM
"A doubtful choice"

Cymbeline, Macbeth, or the Richard III (but only until he wins the crown, from then on the play suffers a lack of quality).

dearie

Arteum
04-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Hmmm ... very simple question that is hard to answer.

How can I say what my favourite play is if I haven't yet read all of them? And of those I read, it is difficult to choose "the best".

I like them all, but to pay due respect to one of the plays that is typically and unjustifiably ignored, I'll opt for "King John".

Blackadder
04-30-2003, 03:55 AM
Much Ado About Nothing is my favorite comedy. Othello is my favorite tragedy. And for the histories--have to go with Richard III.

imthefoolonthehill
04-30-2003, 10:14 PM
I'd have to go with Hamlet... because my (7th or 8th grade? Can't remember...) Literature teacher made it fun for us.

Munro
05-01-2003, 08:01 AM
My favourite (not that I've read many) is Hamlet, because I liked the characters so much, especially Hamlet himself with whom I can relate with, Horatio, such a loyal and unsung friend and companion, and Laertes, a noble young man. The language and the soliloquies as well, with their power and beauty, send me into a world where only words makes sense, acting as pleasing and honest mirrors to life. Besides all, I really liked the story, as it is relevant now as it ever was. It's so easy to present as a modern play, in terms of theatre design and costume.

tjg1098
06-12-2003, 03:43 AM
Definitely the Tempest. Although I haven't read all of the histories, yet.

Matt
06-19-2003, 02:47 AM
I generally don't enjoy Shakespeare, but I must admit I loved Twelth Night. Allthough I have read only a small percentage of his plays, Twelth Night made the largest impression on me.

(This may be because it is the only one of Shakespeare's plays that I was able to see live.)

I intend, if I have time, to read all of Shakespeare's over the summer, so if anyone could suggest a relatively "easy" read to ease (yes, i am aware of the redundancy) me in I would be most appreciative.

So far I have read: Romeo &amp; Juliet, Midsummer Night's Dream, Julius Caesar, and Twelth Night (never read but saw).

apstudent
06-19-2003, 06:47 PM
If I would have to pick one, it would be Hamlet.

However, I saw a British presentation once called The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, and it was the funniest thing I have ever seen,(at least in English class). It went quickly through all of the plays, and was hilarious.

Arteum
06-20-2003, 11:33 PM
apstudent,

Was that a BBC "Hamlet" with Derek Jacobi? In my opinion, he played that role brilliantly.

Phoenix_Tears
07-28-2003, 09:25 PM
My favourite Shakespeare play (if i had to choose that is..) would be A midsummer night's dream. I read that in Seventh grade last year. We acted it out in class to get a better feel for it. It was like a soap opera, once i learned to read it properly, i would read ahead, becoming immersed in the play for long periods of time, rereading it over and over to make sure it was instilled in my brain.
The whole romeo and juliet thing,err....... let me see, boy(16) meets girl(14) they fall in love and risk everything, get married all over the course of what 2 days? dont get me wrong the whole idea of love at first sight is something i have entertained in my mind before, but it just seems so unrealistic.
_Phoen-X_

Miriam
08-05-2003, 03:19 AM
I'd say Julius Caesar, Hamlet, or Much Ado About Nothing.

AbdoRinbo
08-20-2003, 08:35 PM
Hamlet is the most perfect work of English literature ever composed. Personally, I can't find anything wrong with it (never an awkward moment).

Kendall
09-23-2003, 07:39 PM
Macbeth is my favourite so far!

Mrs. Cat
10-03-2003, 12:45 AM
Comedies:
1. Much Ado About Nothing
2. As You Like It

Tragedies:
1. Hamlet
2. Macbeth

----------------

Mrs. Cat

KLO
10-03-2003, 10:25 AM
History: Henry V
Tragedy: The Scottish Play (Macbeth)
Comedy: The Tempest (I think this is a comedy
:-?, but even if it is not, it is my favorite! )

IWilKikU
10-20-2003, 08:39 PM
My favorite was Macbeth until I had the oppertunity to play Claudius in Hamlet. It gave me such an in-depth look into every scene of the play. Now I am directing Macbeth, so we'll see which I like better when all is said and done.

If you ever get the oppertunity to play in an amiture production, I strongly recomend that you take it. It will make you think about the characters, their personalities, their motives, ect. alot more than just reading or watching one of the plays.

Sindhu
10-21-2003, 10:03 AM
I'll HAVE to go for the Tragedy History comedy division- impossible to settle for one otherwise.
So- Tragedy- Macbeth.
History- RichardIII
Comedy- Much Ado about Nothing. (only for Beatrice and Benedict though, Hero drives me right up the wall!)

Blade
10-30-2003, 11:27 AM
in my opinion it a close match between "Tempest" and "Julius Caesar"
(if you have read Caesar plz take a look at my thread about it and let me know your thoughts) 8)

Stanislaw
11-28-2003, 06:36 PM
The best Tragedy would have to be Macbeth.
The best comedy would have to be Taming of the Shrew.
That is one hilariouse play, I laughed, especially when Katarina is first introduced.

nicholasburrus
12-05-2003, 05:00 PM
The Tragty of Juliet and her Romeo

IWilKikU
12-11-2003, 11:05 PM
How many Shakespeare plays have you read Nic?

BloodStaindRose
12-27-2003, 03:11 AM
i really enjoyed romeo and juliet
but a midsummer's night dream was really good--also

GoldenTears
01-04-2004, 08:31 PM
I love his tragedies (although Titus and R&J made me want to choke...the latter even more.)

My favorite would be, Macbeth, Hamlet coming in a close second.

Helga
01-21-2004, 10:34 AM
I think it's very hard to choose, they are all great, but after a lot of thinking I have to say Othello, and I also like Two gentlemen of Verona, Valentines speech about Sylvia shows beauty and love only Shakespeare could bring to words. Midsummer nights dream is also very good, and funny.

Shea
01-22-2004, 09:50 AM
I haven't read enough of Shakespeare to pick a favorite, I like all the ones I've read so far. But I just wanted to say that I recently saw a version of Midsummer Night's Dream where Benny Hill plays Bottom. Hilarious!

IWilKikU
01-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Bottom is such a cool character. Total show stealer.

Gozeta
01-23-2004, 04:41 AM
I agree he's the funniest character in A Midsummer Night's Dream. This is definately my fave.

Steph-Bloom
01-27-2004, 12:34 PM
My favourite play is Mcbeth ecause i did the play in year 6 to the queen and i studied it in English

azmuse
01-27-2004, 01:09 PM
Loved a Midsummer Night's Dream. Also, got to see it at the Geary Theatre in San Francisco. So! wonderful

Yeroptok
02-18-2004, 05:45 PM
Hamlet is by far my favorite. It is a very compelling piece of work that always gets me.

tempora
03-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Heya

Hamlet - incredibly complex play. Some say it's more interesting for what is not said than what is said. Some of the best soliloquies ever.

Love the 'There's a willow grows askant a brook' speech.

Raven
03-26-2004, 06:11 AM
I love Midsummer Nights Dream. As a child, I always wanted to enter the worlds of the fairies, and now, as an actor, I have! We performed it last year, and it was magical!

IWilKikU
03-27-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm directing it right now.

GapingStarling
03-28-2004, 12:34 AM
Hmmm... I'd have to say Hamlet, Much Ado About Nothing (although I'm on board with the earlier comment about Hero), and A Winter's Tale - which I don't believe anyone has mentioned yet. I like it, in spite of its problems (or, more likely, because of them).
Cheers!

simon
04-07-2004, 05:26 PM
Much Ado About Nothing, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Hamlet. Has anybody seen the 5 minute Hamlet or the Shakespeare Reduced Stage Production, it is hilarious, turning the tragedies into great comic works due to their fast pace.

GapingStarling
04-07-2004, 08:25 PM
I don't think so, but I've seen the "Compleat Wrks of Wllm Shkspr" -- I think that's what it's called. Where they do a whole bunch of the comedies and tragedies together pell-mell? It was definately the funniest Shakespeare I've ever seen!

IWilKikU
04-07-2004, 08:41 PM
I saw the Reduced Shakespeare Company do a comic Julius Ceaser. That was great. They perform in London now and are running The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged), The Complete History of America (abridged), and The Bible: The Complete Works of God (abridged).

simon
04-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Yeah it was something like that, whatever it was called, I recomend it to any avid fans of Will for kicks.

emily655321
04-20-2004, 06:03 AM
Ooh ooh ooh! I saw the Complete Works (abridged) in London Mar or Apr 1998. All I knew about it was a poster in my English teacher's class, and I absolutely died laughing. One of the actors got hit on the head with a pound coin when people threw money onto the stage at one point, and he really got whacked hard. It was so sad.

My favorite play is either Much Ado or Twelfth Night. Titus is by far my favorite movie of a Shak. play, though -- Hopkins and Alan Cumming are so great.

Midsummer Night's Dream and Shrew are definitely, no contest, my LEAST favorite of the plays. I don't think Taming of the Shrew should even be produced anymore, although I heard of one interesting version where the director had Kate break down in bitter tears at the end of her last monologue. IMO, that's the only way to perform it within the bounds of good taste.

ravana
04-20-2004, 08:28 AM
"Much ado about nothing" and "Hamlet"
I saw old Russian movie "Hamlet", it impressed me a lot.
Espesially this scene : (Act III, Scene II)

"O! the recorders: let me see one. To withdraw with you: why do you go about to recover the wind of me, as if you would drive me into a toil?
Guil O! my lord, if my duty be too bold, my love is too unmannerly.
Ham. I do not well understand that. Will you play upon this pipe?
Guil. My lord, I cannot.
Ham. I pray you.
Guil. Believe me, I cannot.
Ham. I do beseech you.
Guil. I know no touch of it, my lord.
Ham. Tis as easy as lying; govern these ventages with your finger and thumb, give it breath with your mouth, and it will discourse most eloquent music. Look you, these are the stops.
Guil. But these cannot I command to any utterance of harmony; I have not the skill.
Ham. Why, look you now, how unworthy a thing you make of me. You would play upon me; you would seem to know my stops; you would pluck out the heart of my mystery; you would sound me from my lowest note to the top of my compass; and there is much music, excellent voice, in this little organ, yet cannot you make it speak. -Sblood, do you think I am easier to be played on than a pipe? Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, you cannot play upon me."

I know my favorite scenes of Romeo and Julieta by heart, but in my native language.

IWilKikU
04-20-2004, 02:58 PM
That is such a great speach. Shakespeare was the man.

Em, Shrew is a great play. Both Kate and Petruccio were horrible to each other, so my heart isn't going to bleed for Kate. The production that I saw (with an all female cast btw) did a great job of showing how every time Petruccio was about to give in, Kate would go and do something *****y and ruin it. Its not a cheuvenist play about a tyrant husband. Its about a jerk of a guy trying to fix his ***** of a wife.

emily655321
04-21-2004, 03:22 AM
That's a good point, Kik. But though I'm usually the last person to complain about "womens issues," I can't help wincing at some of the lines in that play. It's so... "The Quiet Man"-ish. Not denying they're still both creeps -- that's why it stays at the bottom of my list. Socio-political issues aside, I just find it unenjoyable.

IWilKikU
04-21-2004, 10:54 AM
fair enough. I think its great.

Helga
05-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Macbeth is my fave, it was the first one I read by him and I was 12 or 13 and I've read it a few times after that...but they are all so good and every time I finish one I think it's the best one by him...

Monica
06-24-2004, 07:18 AM
I like almost everything by Shakespeare. Believe or not in Poland we devote some 15 minutes to Shakespeare during literature classes. A pity because he's fantastic. I especially like Midsummer Night's Dream, Tempest and Othello.

Armand
08-14-2004, 07:47 PM
I Agree With J Banks.I Do Have Several Also-Macbeth,Hamlet,Romeo And Juliet,Julius Caesar,Anthony And Cleopatra,Othello.All Of Them Are Really Good,I Can't Honestly Pick A Favorite.Iago From Othello Is My Favorite Villain Tho Bar None.I Read An Agatha Christie Which Had A Tie In To Iago So I Read The Play To See What She Was Talking About.Thats How I Got Turned On To It.I Thank Agatha For Othello.The Rest I Found On My Own.

Armand
08-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Othello Is An Easy Read And Highly Enjoyable Too.Good Luck.I Read The EBible One Summer Too.Ambitious Project.Wish You Luck.

mono
10-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Favorite historical: King Henry IV
Tragedy: Either Macbeth or Titus Andronicus
Comedy: Either Comedy of Errors or A Midsummer Night's Dream

Falling_Embers
10-30-2004, 02:52 AM
Lets see... all of them *L* though If I have to choose favorites...
Historical : Richard III
Comedy: its a tie between Taming of the Srew and Merchant of Venice
Tradgey: Tie between Hamlet and Macbeth

ucdawg12
11-12-2004, 09:24 PM
I haven't read a lot of Shakespeare, although I have read a decent amount, but my favorite so far has been King Lear.

JA Prufrock
11-12-2004, 10:06 PM
hard to beat old Lear, but would highly recommend Hank Cinq ... very visual!

byquist
02-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Richard II

SleepyWitch
03-15-2005, 10:47 AM
TITUS
followed by Julius Caesar (although it's been quite a while since i read it).
has anyone watched the Titus film starring Anthony Hopkins?
is there a thread for Shakes films somewhere? sorry, just joined and haven't had a look around yet...

mono
03-15-2005, 01:19 PM
TITUS
Hurray for Titus Andronicus - my personal favorite Shakespearean tragedy too. :)

is there a thread for Shakes films somewhere? sorry, just joined and haven't had a look around yet...
Here: http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3703
Welcome to the forum!

Lawrence
04-20-2005, 06:40 PM
The tragedy of Othello, The Moor of Venice is my favourite play.

Loki
06-11-2005, 01:14 AM
My favourite Shakespeare play of all is Hamlet, perhaps because of the philosophical treatment of the plot. Though a tragedy, it still has a bit of comedy to make the balance, though it is - of course - rather black comedy.

Hamlet: Whose grave is that, sirrah?
First Clown: Mine, sir.
Hamlet: I think it be thine indeed...for thou liest in't!
First Clown: I lie not in it, and yet it is mine.

----

Hamlet: Do you think Alexander looked so in the earth?
Horatio: Even so, my lord.
Hamlet: And smelt so? Pah!

amirah_almas
06-11-2005, 01:35 AM
Favorite play is Macbeth, events are dramatic and on stage if portrayed properly leaves a lasting image on viewer about ambition and reversal of nature (Lady Macbeth having a masculine approach when she tries to manipulate Macbeth)

arabian night
06-15-2005, 07:14 AM
hmm i think Hamlet...although i find Macbeth one of the greatest plays ever...But i dont know Hamlet's character is so fine and the way he always blame himself.Macbeth is wonderful as well in sense of showing the fall of a great man, and how vaulting ambition can turn harmony into chaos.

Scatterbrain
09-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Othello
Macbeth
Hamlet

chatnoir1311
09-21-2005, 01:18 PM
A midsummer night dream
MacBeth
The Merchandice of Venice

Lady19thC
09-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Hamlet
Midsummer Night's Dream
MacBeth

samercury
09-21-2005, 07:49 PM
The Merchant of Venice :D

P.S.- SleepyWitch I absolutely love your avatar.

zwita
05-10-2007, 04:50 PM
hallo
I need help someone tell me about the mid summer night dream

hibz
03-05-2008, 02:00 PM
MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
1000000000000000000% much ado about nothing!!!

LadyW
03-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Romeo & Juliet
Macbeth
Much Ado About Nothing

Dori
03-05-2008, 02:45 PM
A midsummer night dream
MacBeth
The Merchandice of Venice

Hamlet
Midsummer Night's Dream
MacBeth

Romeo & Juliet
Macbeth
Much Ado About Nothing

Indecisive, are we? ;)

I've only read Macbeth and Romeo & Juliet. Without a doubt, Macbeth was much better. :D However, I will be reading Hamlet within a week, so perhaps I might change my mind...

bouquin
03-05-2008, 02:50 PM
I have not read all of Shakespeare's plays but anyway my favorites, so far, are: Macbeth
followed by A Midsummer Night's Dream.

shakespeare87
08-05-2008, 01:26 PM
My favourite play is either Hamlet. I have favoured Titus Andronicus but all the blood and gore, well you know, gives you nightmares.

shakespeare87
08-06-2008, 11:44 AM
hallo
I need help someone tell me about the mid summer night dream

OK.
1. It's A Midsummer Night's Dream. not the mid summer night dream.
2. Plot: Theseus, Duke of athens is about to marry Hippolyta, queen of the amazon. Egeus, Hermia's father wants Hermia to marry Demetrius, but Hermia is in love with Lysander. Demetrius, Hermia, Lysander and Helena go to a forest where they are encountered with Oberon and Titania, king and queen of the fairies, Puck and 4 other fairies. They fall asleep and Puck gets a potion for making the person fall in love with the first person he/she sees. He puts it on Lysander, and Lysander first sees Helena, and falls in love with her, happening to Demetrius too. Puck then puts it on Titania, queen of the fairies and transforms Bottom into a donkey (well, the head) Titania first sees Bottom and falls in love with him. Oberon tells Puck to get the antidote, and put it again on Titania so she will fall in love with him. So Puck puts the antidote on the 4 lovers and everything is how it used to be. Then he discharms Bottom and puts the potion on Titania. Titana first sees Oberon and falls in love again. After the wedding, they watch a play.