PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?!

Shea
09-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Have I really floated to the top of my papers?!:eek2: I'm still not quite out, but at least my head is above the water!

I definately assigned way too much that first week because my students were so lousy with the parts of speech. I curved the test and out of 145 student, I still only got about 10 A's.

We have a FOUR day weekend (woohoo!!:banana: ). Progress reports were due at 8:00 A.M. this morning. You'd think that with an entire voluntary staff developement day they'd give us until P.M., but we don't work that smart do we? I was up until 2:30 in the morning getting my grades in. At least everything is done online. It makes it nice that the student can go online and see how they're doing anytime without having to ask me (not that many of them will actually go through the trouble; it's too convenient just to ask me:rolleyes: ).

Their writing can be so depressing to a teacher. Here's an excerpt, letter for letter, of one of my tenth graders' essays when I asked them to write about their classes for the year and what they expect of them ("ag" means "agriculture"):

"For first & second I have a block of ag. That is the only reason why I even come to school in the marnin. I like it so much because I Am showin My streer & I work with my white beast (harse). After ag there 3rd period Math its boring but it funnyto see him in a wheel chair. There my marnin for you."

It's too bad I can't show you the handwriting, that's what makes it worse. Believe it or not, his spelling and punctuation is better than others!

I'm going to take my holiday and go see a movie. *Movie? What's a movie? Oh! Wasn't that that thing I used to go to where they put all those pictures on this screen and it told a story? Yeah, I miss that*

Nightshade
09-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Enjoy your movie then!

Logos
09-05-2006, 09:06 AM
:brickwall oh! that writing example is pretty sad.. sounds like you've got a challenge ahead of you! I haven't been to a movie theatre in ages either so can't recommend any, but something light and fluffy surely is in order! :)

Shannanigan
09-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Much luck to you in this school year! I know some professors here that would take those kids in a heartbeat just to dril them into "prodigy children" to brag, heheh. I'm sure you are a wonderful teacher and that they will learn a lot from you.

Yes, yes, go see a nice movie in a theatre with big, comfy chairs...:D

subterranean
09-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Ehmmm, what's the thread title, "is it possible" refer to?

Ah..probably the students ;)....

That's an interesting experience you have there, shea. And I agree with nighty..enjoy the movie!!

Schokokeks
09-06-2006, 05:57 AM
"For first & second I have a block of ag. That is the only reason why I even come to school in the marnin. I like it so much because I Am showin My streer & I work with my white beast (harse). After ag there 3rd period Math its boring but it funnyto see him in a wheel chair. There my marnin for you."

Gee ! I thought my spelling was bad ! :eek: That student seems to deny right from the start any effort of writing something acceptable... Seems to me as if he (or she) has just "thrown up" the lines with an "I-don't-care-anyway"-attitude, especially if you say the handwriting was also not a very neat one...Hopefully you have a lot of nice and keen students who for you psychologically balance out the unpleasant results ;)

ShoutGrace
09-09-2006, 05:53 PM

It's too bad I can't show you the handwriting, that's what makes it worse. Believe it or not, his spelling and punctuation is better than others!

Are these student's planning on graduating, Shea?

What I mean to say is, do they have plans to just get out of school and work on the farm or something? Do they feel like they need to be there at all?

Idril
09-10-2006, 10:26 AM
What I mean to say is, do they have plans to just get out of school and work on the farm or something?

You would think if they live on a farm or have plans to go into farming, they would at least know how to spell steer and horse. Good heavens, Shea! You must be so depressed. :rolleyes:

And a lot of people here, even if they plan on taking over the family farm, choose to go on to college to learn to manage the farm. NDSU has a wonderful agriculture program, it gives kids the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in farming in these difficult times so even if this poor kid plans on working on the farm, he's still going to need an education or he's not going to have a very successful farm.

subterranean
09-13-2006, 12:13 AM

It's pretty "surprising" now that I re-read this part of your post. I live in a developing country where many people who live in the villages don't really bother about spelling, grammars, etc. Their concern is mainly on how to be able to read and write simple to moderate sentences, so that they would be able to make money (farming, fishery, etc) and other economic purposes. And I thought this sort of thing is not an issue anymore in the developed countries like USA.

brainstrain
11-28-2006, 06:19 PM
If your depressed, Happy Feet is the way to go! the most happy-inducing movie i've ever seen.

And do high schoolers really have the horrible grammar? Even I, who despises grammar above all else, can use it well when I need to...